Opposition to the Master Chef's Dinner?

tkq

There are 2 reasons I don't like it (and don't go any more)

1. Even if you are 'open dining' you have to go at a fixed time. When you arrive at the MDR so does everyone else (all that chose the later of the 2 times) - chaos !!!

2. The reduced choice menu. Not nearly as many choices as normal and I agree with others, lots of mushrooms. Of course they may have changed that since we were on the Noordam in May.

We went on the Eurodam last year, and it was the only night the service was so bad. The wait staff just didn't seem to be aware of who had ordered, or what course they were on, they forgot things, it was chaos and dinner lasted way too long.

However the food was good, and we had no problem with the menu choices, just the service let it down.

It [master chef's dinner] may be corny and kitschy, but I find it far preferrable to a group of non-Americans singing 'God bless America' just because corporate says that's what you have to do!.
Where and when did that happen?

There are 2 reasons I don't like it (and don't go any more)

1. Even if you are 'open dining' you have to go at a fixed time. When you arrive at the MDR so does everyone else (all that chose the later of the 2 times) - chaos !!!

2. The reduced choice menu. Not nearly as many choices as normal and I agree with others, lots of mushrooms. Of course they may have changed that since we were on the Noordam in May.

I agree with #1, didn't like that either. We had open dining and had built up a rapport with a dining team during the cruise. We weren't allowed to sit in our usual spot that night.

But several of us have said that the menu has changed! Not heavy on the mushrooms (yuck) and IIRC as many choices as on any other night. I was VERY pleasantly surprised.

All in all, as someone else said, I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid OR attend MCD.

Sounds interesting. Definitely not something I would expect on HAL. I guess I think of dining on HAL to be a more formal experience, like Celebrity and Cunard. This sounds more like Carnival, which I have sailed many times, and they are known for "entertaining" several nights in the dining room. Personally, I think the food, service, and conversation should cover the "entertainment" during dinner, but I'm not opposed to this happening one night.

On a 7-day Caribbean cruise, what night do you think this event will happen? I have already reserved Pinnacle for the 3rd night, and Tamarind for the 5th night. We will likely eat in Canaletto one night too.

Thanks.

Ernie

I've never understood the opposition to the MCD - if you don't like the singing/dancing, ignore it. Drink your wine or order another cocktail while its going on. If you MUST have your next course within 2.78 minutes of finishing your previous course, and the singing/dancing of the MCD interferes with that, go to the Lido or Pinnacle (I have NEVER found the delay in service that intrusive due to singing/dancing). I don't remember a surfeit of mushrooms on the menu either but then I like mushrooms and regardless, have never gone hungry during the MCD regardless of the quantity of fungi. It may be corny and kitschy, but I find it far preferrable to a group of non-Americans singing 'God bless America' just because corporate says that's what you have to do!. As for baked Alaska, you can keep it, so that doesn't bother me either - I don't like it regardless of how it's served (with or without singing). If it's served, I'll decline it and order something to my liking off the menu (you aren't forced to eat it!).

If you've never experienced it, try it and if YOU decide you don't like it, plan accordingly the next time. It's never 'ruined' my cruise and I've never specifically booked into the Pinnacle to avoid it.

Just my 2 cents but that is how I feel.

Doug

Great response Doug.

I have cruised with HAL on several occasions and, although I did not know it was called the MCD, have attended everyone of them. I think they are a good time and people should experience one to see if they think so. As for baked alaska, I have had it served on every Alaska cruise but, like you, I decline and order something else.

There have been changes to the Master Chef's Dinner lately where the singing is mainly just done by the lead singer of the HAL Cats.

Considering the caliber of most of the HALCat singers, that's not an improvement.

But several of us have said that the menu has changed! Not heavy on the mushrooms (yuck) and IIRC as many choices as on any other night. I was VERY pleasantly surprised.

...and thanks so much for posting that! Aside from my friend with the epi pen, it's good to know there's variation.

I get enough "Chicken? Must be Tuesday!" at home.

(Wait a minute.....I'm the one who cooks Chicken Tuesday. :eek: Hmmmm....maybe it's time to pull out the "Taste of Excellence" cookbook and shake up my own routine.)

...and thanks so much for posting that! Aside from my friend with the epi pen, it's good to know there's variation.

I get enough "Chicken? Must be Tuesday!" at home.

(Wait a minute.....I'm the one who cooks Chicken Tuesday. :eek: Hmmmm....maybe it's time to pull out the "Taste of Excellence" cookbook and shake up my own routine.)

LOL! I know the feeling! :D

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]The first time we attended, it was a bit of an adventure, not knowing what would happen next! DH, however started to complain almost immediately, because the main staple of his cuisine is [I]bread[/I], and the only bread available is his ONE Parker House roll, and mine. (There is no time available for the waite staff to bring more.) Secondly, he does not like the menu, especially because there is no "always available" selection that night. He does not eat the brie, which I find incredible, but too fattening for me to eat his too.;) He does not like mushrooms, and although I do, I found the amount of "mushroom courses" to be excessive and the first one, to be a waste of effort on the kitchen and serving staff.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080]However, mostly I am unhappy about the "entertainment".[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]I am sure the waite staff was hired for their English language proficiency and their skill as a waiter/ waitress, not as an "entertainer". Most of them excel at their job three times a day, everyday, every week, for months at a time. Some may like to "entertain", and do so in the Crew Show. I feel embarassed for them, being [I]forced [/I]into doing this. The MCD is always held at the end of the cruise, when the passengers determine how much they will pay for their "service charge". We used to sail on many of the other cruiselines and they all had a singing / dancing waite staff extravaganza at the end![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080]I am happy to hear some changes have been made recently; I know we did used to receive a "real salad", as opposed to the "stuffed tomato" mentioned in the link above. My advice is to [I]go if you have never been or if you enjoy it[/I]; the rest of you, DH and I will see at the Pinnacle, Canalettos, or the Lido! :D[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

I can do without the silliness, but loved the menu. I can't believe how many of you hate mushrooms. They are the gift of the Gods!
(I am having a dinner party tomorrow and serving chicken with mushrooms. It is one of my classic company dinners - my mother's receipe) Fortunately none of my guests have allergies. I've never had anyone leave them on the plate.

[quote name='Pennypocket']Another example of Corporate Carnival style down marketing to reach a market that possibly should not be cruising as the entertainment that attracts this crowd is very Vegas with a mix of bubba's rustic cabin BBQ.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]I find this post to be judgmental & insulting to HAL cruisers.Voicing an opinion of your likes or dislikes is one thing, but insulting fellow Psgrs. is another...:([/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]Considering the caliber of most of the HALCat singers, that's not an improvement. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]The caliber of the Singers & Dancers have completely changed in the new show room at sea on the Veendam..I believe they have changed on the other ships which have the new show room at sea concept too..Apparently many of them have extensive TV & Broadway experience..All the singers & dancers on the Veendam were very talented.. The full orchestra played in the last show which reminded me of several of the "Celtic Woman's" performances, which we've enjoyed so much..The two lead singers had beauiful voices & all the performers in the last show received a standing ovation which was fantastic..[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]After seeing several MCD's, it became tiresome & boring.. We began to feel sorry for the stewards who were required to take part in it, as they appeared to be rushed & also seemed to pretend they enjoyed doing it..[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Dutch has said that HAL has recently changed the MCD menu & now the lead Hal Cat Singer does most of the singing on the other ships..We'll see when we are on the Noordam in Nov.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]HAL did not have the MCD on the "Veendam's" Bermuda run we were on & we were somewhat relieved to find that our last night was peaceful & enjoyable..During the week I asked a couple of Stewards if they really enjoyed their parts in the MCD & most of them indicated that they were relieved that they no longer had to go through that..[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Cheers.....:)Betty[/SIZE][/FONT]

At first I thought it was an excuse to serve leftovers (the food left over during the course of the cruise) on the last night. After we sat down and saw the menu (and soon to follow - the stale bread), I found myself wanting to leave the MDR ASAP. Very limited dinner menu of which I found nothing I would enjoy and the entertainment was simply antagonizing. I asked the waiter if we could order something else and were told no.

We've already made dinner reservations on our next cruise for the final night away from the MDR.

[quote name='seagarsmoker']

We've already made dinner reservations on our next cruise for the final night away from the MDR.[/QUOTE]

Is it always the last night of the cruise? I want to plan accordingly.

Ernie

[quote name='serendipity1499'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]The caliber of the Singers & Dancers have completely changed in the new show room at sea on the Veendam..I believe they have changed on the other ships which have the new show room at sea concept too..Apparently many of them have extensive TV & Broadway experience..[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]:confused: But of course this has nothing to do with the singer with the HALCats, which is what you quoted. The HALCats themselves double as the musicians in the showlounge; the HALCat singer does not perform on the big stage. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]Careful not to confuse the two. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='debolinas']We are going on our 1st HAL cruise in November - a 7 day Mexican Riviera itinerary? What and when is the MCD? Sounds like it might be a good night to go to the Pinnacle. Also, can someone tell me which nights are usually the formal nights?
Thanks!
Deborah[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately on our last Zuiderdam trip we tried to avoid the MCD by going to the Pinnacle and had the worst meal there on our entire trip and found we missed our wonderful dining crew and the excellent main dining room food and were sorry we did not share that last night with them, even with all the silliness that we too don't like.

So going to the Pinnacle may or may not work after all. I wonder if this institution was started back when individual tips were given out and it was used as a way to showcase the dining staff and let them show their appreciation for the diners.

Now with the inclusive tipping policies, this individual highlighting may no longer be necessary. But also agree, it not the best menu either for our final HAL dining room send off. Hope HAL reconsiders this and finds some other way to bring our wonderful cruises to a special conclusion than this little annoying circus. And for us, after our one Pinnacle experience we will never try to skip out on a MCD ever again, even with its lack of overall appeal for us.

However, the first time we experienced it on the smaller Maasdam we thought it was cute an corny but not worth the extra effort overall. On the larger ships, agree there is a lot of noise and fuss somewhere but mostly out of view, not unlike the Mariners Appreciation luncheon - no discernable reason to gather, lousy menu and not worth the time except to pick up the HAL tiles, if they have enough on board.

I can see HAL wants to do something for both these occasions, but both these activities do not execute well ...... the second or third or fourth time but both were appreciated the first time. Maybe HAL knows what they are doing afterall.

[quote name='iceman93']And there you have it! Like with every other MCD thread in this board, people seem to fall into one of two camps:

1) They like it! They enjoy the fun atmosphere and prefer to go with the flow. They accept the limitations on seating time and menu as acceptable trade-offs for what is a once-a-cruise break from the routine. In addition, they generally find that the crew is no more overworked than any other night, and that they also enjoy letting their hair down for this one evening.

2) They hate it! They think it is demeaning to the staff, annoying to the passengers, and totally inappropriate for an elegant, upscale, premium cruise line. They resent the menu limitations, feel that it is an unfair imposition on the staff to have to entertain, and generally seek other venues for dinner that night.

What I find particularly interesting, though, is that passengers in category 1 come across much more open-minded and flexible. They recommend that people try it and come to their own conclusions. And they don't resent those who don't like the MCD, but do point out that it's only once a cruise and there are many other places to eat that night.

Passengers in category 2 often come across mean-spirited, judgmental, and angry. They [I]resent[/I] the MCD and, pretty much, anyone who actually likes it. Interesting...[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]You left out a third category which we fall into..;)[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]3. We don't hate it, but no longer particularly enjoy it..But we would never leave the MDR to eat in an alternate restaurant on the last night..We enjoy having the same Stewards in the MDR, & want to spend our last night with them..Therefore we can still get into the spirit of the MCD even thought we consider it to be redundant..[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Cheers.....:)Betty[/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived