Price of Normandy Beaches Tour

bconley351

We're doing the British Isles cruise next year. We're considering a private Normandy beaches tour, but we were wondering what Princess charges for their tour. It would be nice to compare prices. We did the Princess tour several years ago, but don't remember what the cost was. Can anyone help?

I arranged a private Normandy Tour this past May, from le Havre.

I used: overlordtour dot com

Price for eight of us was 800 Euro for the van.

Tour guide was fantastic; we saw areas that the Princess Tour

would not be able to get to.

From what I recall, the Princess Tour was about $ 200.00 pp.

Enjoy you Cruise.

We used Overlord this past May, too. GeeDunk was right - it was wonderful and we went places the bus from the ship - would still be stuck there !!

What dates in May 2011 are you going. We will be on the Crown, May 7 to June 3rd.

What ever the dates - book Overlord now. The tour will fill up as you go along before sailing.

We already have 6 for May 21, 2011

M.A.

After having done Normandy tour, they like to know where you are from..such since they focus more on our role and places during the War, such as the American role, British role, Canadian role. Therefore, you want to make sure all in your group are on the same page.

We paid $200 a piece in April of 2009 with Princess for this excursion. It was huge mistake. The guide was worthless. The ship was late so they had to cut an hour out of the the tour without reinbursement. The guide took took us to a 2 hour lunch in some out of the way hotel. We also spent an hour at a third rate museum. Then after lunch gave us 30 minutes at the cemetery and 5 minutes at Ohama Beach because we were running out of time. At Omaha Beach she said to get out of the bus, take a picture and reboard. I kid you not. We were ripped off. The guide should have had plan B where the lunch and the museum were cut but spending the correct amount of time at the beaches. That is what we paid $200 a piece to see. If I had a choice I would never take that excursion from Princess. I would book with a private tour company and pray we get back to the ship on time. (It is about a 2 hour ride to the beaches.) What time the guide did spend on the battle - all 10 minutes - it was on the American participation. She just mentioned the British and Canadian participation in passing. As you can tell I am still mad about it. (This only major problem I have had with a Princess excursions ... and it cost me $400. All the other excursions have been OK to great.)

We paid $200 a piece in April of 2009 with Princess for this excursion. It was huge mistake.

We also paid Princess $200 (OK, it was $199) each in May of 2009 for this tour. In our case, we enjoyed it very much and did not feel shortchanged at any stop. The stop for lunch was about one hour 20 minutes (based on times attached to photos).

Yes, it did cost more than the private tours which some of the CC members had taken that cruise. They did enjoy their tours and did get to see more sites than we did with Princess (and they did make it back to the ship on time), but when the touring attraction was two hours from the ship, we did not want to chance a private tour.

Another vote for Overlord tours. GeeDunk and I were on the same cruise. All of our tour participants loved the tour. It was amazing. They will pick you up at the pier. The cost was 800 Euro for the day which we divided to 100 Euro p/p. Our group had a lovely lunch at Utah beach (lunch on our own) and there was a bunker attached to the restaurant which we viewed before we had lunch. Very interesting!! I think the name of the restaurant was Le Roosevelt.

I have already booked Overlord for our August 4th British Isles tour for next year. A little pricey at 800 euros (I still need to find 6 more people which will be easy once our roll call livens up) but from the reviews here and on Trip Advisor I think it will be worth it. This port was one of the main reasons I booked this cruise so I want the best experience possible. Also I didn't realize that Princess charges $200 per person so I think we win on both counts.

We're doing the British Isles cruise next year. We're considering a private Normandy beaches tour, but we were wondering what Princess charges for their tour. It would be nice to compare prices. We did the Princess tour several years ago, but don't remember what the cost was. Can anyone help?

On our TA crossing this spring we did not take the $200 a person Princess excursion of the beaches of Normandy. We rented a 9 passenger van that was located where the ship was docked in Laharve. The cost for the rental was $350. We had our own GPS and set out at 8:00am for the Church in St-Mere-Eglise. It was an easy 2 1/2 hour drive on an easy to follow highway. After visiting there, we drove back towards LaHarve and visited the Beaches of Utah. Pointe du Hoc was our next viewing. Then it was off to the Beaches of Omaha. We also spent about an hour in the museum there. Our last stop was the American Cemetery which overlooked Omaha Beach. We arrived back to the ship by 5:30. It was an unbelievable experience and we were so glad to be able to experience it on our own. We spent a great deal of time at the places we wanted. Signs explaining what you viewed were excellent. Six of our friends joined us on our trip so the cost was minimal. I would highly recommend doing this on your own. Princess did not take people to the Church in St-Mere-Eglise or Utah beach. They spend time with a lunch which takes up more then an hour of sightseeing.

Overlord tours, without hesitation. Our guide took 8 of us to all the spots that Princess goes to (and lots more) and we never saw a Princess bus. He participates in WWII re-enactments, so truly is passionate about the places he took us to. He had access to private photographs and memorabilia that he shared with us during the tour. We went on backroads through small towns so got to see a lot of the Normandy countryside. While I am sure Princess does a good job, they just cannot compete with a well run private tour and you get to see much more for half the price.

Some of the sites we saw are pictured below. Fouth picture is where we had lunch.

very nice pipcs...thanks for posting them

We are Americans so are glad it would cover that perspective.. due to fear of msising the ship we will absolutely take the ship's tour & hope we get a good guide..and an AIR CONDITIONED bus --heard that on some Paris tours the bus did not have A/c--not acceptable for July!

can you confirm if the bus was A/C & how was the lunch...?

Thanks

Anyone else take the Princess or private tour? We are trying to decide what to do for next June. Thanks
We took the Princess tour, in 2007. I was quite pleased but I agree with what some have said, the schedule is not of your choosing and you might not get to spend time at the places that interest you personally. But, such is the way with a ship's tour.

It was expensive, I think around $180 per person at the time. The lunch wasn't two hours long, but it wasn't a squat-'n'-gobble either. I recall it was quite delicious and even the vin ordinaire was quite good. I wish I could remember the name of the place; I'd love to stay there overnight.

Adjusting for inflation, it was even more expensive when I took the Princess excursion, in 1994! I recall a figure well over $150 -- maybe I can find my paperwork because now I'm curious. Anyway, this was on the original Island, so it was a relatively small, manageable busload of people. I recall where we had lunch: the Omaha Beach Golf Club. Really. It was a very nice country club kind of place; lunch was absolutely delicious, lots of wine for those who wanted.

Our itinerary was much different than what's been talked about here-- sounds like we went to more places. We went to Pegasus Bridge, Arromanches, including the museum, Utah Beach, Omaha Beach, the cemetary, a small town which I don't recall now (not St. Mere Iglese), and one other stop with a museum or other D-Day related "site".... having a senior moment and can't recall exactly. It was definitely a long day (we were docked in LeHavre overnight or sailaway was well after midnight, can't recall). They showed The Longest Day on the bus there and back -- plus because it was the 50th anniversary of D-Day, every passenger on the ship found a copy of the book in their cabin as a gift from Princess, so there was some reading material for the long bus trip. We also had several veterans of D-Day who were fellow passengers, which made it very special. The best excursion/tour I've ever taken, bar none.

Overloard had a nice air conditioned van. We were very comfortable and they were very eager for us to be back to the ship with time to spare. You will see more, learn more and go places where the ship's tour will never go. They have a relationship with the locals to go on to private lands. It was so well worth the time and money. It was actually much less expensive than the ship's tour and so intimate and informative.

can you confirm if the bus was A/C & how was the lunch...?

Thanks

Our bus was air conditioned, but at lunch an oil leak was noticed and for the trip from the last town visited back to the ship the passengers joined the other busses. Not really a problem for us.

I do not remember the lunch (it was over a year ago), so it must not have been fantastic and it certainly was not bad.

We rented a car and did it ourselves. We were able to visit a couple of the beaches, including Juno beach which was the main Canadian landing point. There was an excellent museum at June beach as well.

I think the car rental and tolls came to less than $100 for four of us.

Does battle bus let you just book for two people?

-- I do not want to get into orgainzing a group tour --but might have to consider signing up with a company if they accept just two

By the time you calculate for Euros & lunch on your own..prices not such a big diff--but so far the Princess tour is not getting stellar feedback...

also how do we find out prices of other Princess tours--they don;'t list them onthe gen. website..??

thanks for that info...

guess we'll have to post to find out some of the costs--we usually do all cruise line excursions when we are with Celebrity but may consider other options on this trip..

I think it is easier with Celebrity--you book when they are offered & pay at that time-- less to add to the ship bd acct..& then you can use the credit card cruise points for on bd credit before you sail

Battlebus is taking reservations for next year beginning November 1st.

http://www.battlebus.fr/About_Us.html

This looked nice at first -- a one day tour of Ameican Highlights EXCEPT it commences at 8:30 am in Bayeux--in the heart of the D Day invasion area..& they do not offer pick up from the cruise ship terminal....

Just curious--how did you get there for an early tour???

Archived