Sanctuary Questions:

RMorningglory

Leaving on Emerald next month. I am looking to make this a special Birthday experience for my partner and thought I'd do some special upgrades to make the whole thing a little more special.

Wondering about

A: Should we purchase access for the entire cruise and if so what is the cost per day? I hate the chair fight on cruise days and thought this might help in that regard.

B: Is there a sunny area up there or all full shade?

C. Do the cruise long spots sell out fast generally and does anyone know how many of them there are to begin with??

Any help and advice would be GREAT!!!

Thank you all in advance ;)

Leaving on Emerald next month. I am looking to make this a special Birthday experience for my partner and thought I'd do some special upgrades to make the whole thing a little more special.

Wondering about

A: Should we purchase access for the entire cruise and if so what is the cost per day? I hate the chair fight on cruise days and thought this might help in that regard.

B: Is there a sunny area up there or all full shade?

C. Do the cruise long spots sell out fast generally and does anyone know how many of them there are to begin with??

Any help and advice would be GREAT!!!

Thank you all in advance ;)

On our last cruise it was mostly deserted there. I wouldn't worry too much about it selling out. I would never waste money on such nonsense as the sanctuary.

A: Should we purchase access for the entire cruise and if so what is the cost per day? I hate the chair fight on cruise days and thought this might help in that regard. $15

B: Is there a sunny area up there or all full shade? both

C. Do the cruise long spots sell out fast generally and does anyone know how many of them there are to begin with??it really depends on the cruise

A: Should we purchase access for the entire cruise and if so what is the cost per day? I hate the chair fight on cruise days and thought this might help in that regard. $15 -- that is per day if you buy for the full cruise. $10 per half day if you only buy on individual days.

B: Is there a sunny area up there or all full shade? both -- see pictures below

C. Do the cruise long spots sell out fast generally and does anyone know how many of them there are to begin with??it really depends on the cruise

see above and below

2071206872_5259_17.08TheSanctuarydeck17100_0248.jpg.aafa0d7a58ef6769066eb3cfc05a641c.jpg

1396001658_5269_17.08TheSanctuarydeck17100_0249.jpg.4cb89ca09eb1d63be366d36bc61cee89.jpg

45702564_5279_17.08TheSanctuarydeck17100_0250.jpg.1c448c59794387ccef4221747e1c290c.jpg

You might also consider purchasing for specific days. The cost on daily basis is $30 full day, $15 for half days.

Also, check the deck plans, and you will see you are one deck up from the Spa pool-there is no pool or hottub in the Sanctuary-and the Spa pool can get very crowded on sea days.

Where do I go to reserve Sanctuary chairs? Do you access it by going upstairs from the Lotus spa pool? I plan on getting in line as soon as we board (I'm a compulsive planner) and am not sure where to go.

Go directly to the Sanctuary on the Sports Deck, there will be someone there at the entrance making the reservations.

The Sanctuary is lovely, and your comment about fighting for a chair is exactly how we felt! We just got off the Emerald and "bought" two chairs for the week - $105 each. Best money I ever spent! Yes, you can reserve a chair by the day, but you have to present yourself at the Sanctuary each morning to see if a chair is available. The chairs are available both in the sun and in the shade, but be careful when you select a location. If you are out in the sun and want to go into the shade, there are "open" upright chairs available to move to. But, there is not always an available shaded lounge chair.

We boarded the Emerald in the first group at noon and went right to the Sanctuary to get our chairs for the week. I had read that the weekly chairs sold out by 1:00, but I don't think that happened in our week. I am sure it depends on who is cruising your week. :D Being able to come and go as you please, taking a nice relaxing lunch, or going to wine tasting and then always returning to "your" chair was great. Have a wonderful cruise.

The Sanctuary is lovely, and your comment about fighting for a chair is exactly how we felt! We just got off the Emerald and "bought" two chairs for the week - $105 each. Best money I ever spent!

Exactly why we book the Sanctuary whenever it's available, never have to worry about trying to find a spot to sit and relax (plus it doesn't hurt that the lounges are MUCH more comfortable than the plastic ones on the decks). For us, it's money well spent.

The Sanctuary was just that, a Sanctuary on our last sailing. It was spring break and a sold out cruise so to us it was money incredibly well spent.

I can't wait to spend another week up there and I'm hoping that we're able to get two seats on our next cruise.

On our last cruise it was mostly deserted there. I wouldn't worry too much about it selling out. I would never waste money on such nonsense as the sanctuary.

Wow thats kind of negative. To each his own I guess, but "nonsense" surely doesnt describe the Sanctuary.

My friends and I reserved 4 seats on our Eastern Carribean cruise in July/Aug. It was money well spent as we never had to worry about chair hogs, kids running around, etc.

It's the most comfortable place on the ship. If you like to lounge around and read or just plain sleep in quiet surroundings, this place is for you. My BFF and I never have a loss for words but up in the place you can't help but relax and totally zone out. We loved it.

On our sailing it WAS sold out and people were annoyed. If you don't book for the week upon arriving on the ship, you do have to get up early and try to book the "daily" seats. I guess each cruise is different. I'm sure the NE cruises have no need for the Sanctuary as it's too cool but still it's a nice place to snuggle under a blanket I would think :)

to the original OP. There are lounge chairs which are in the sun and out of the sun. You'll see when you go book. The attendant will show you a floor plan and you can see where you want to sit. GET THERE AS SOON AS YOU GET ON THE SHIP!!! if you are really interested because they go fast.

:)

You might also consider purchasing for specific days. The cost on daily basis is $30 full day, $15 for half days.

Also, check the deck plans, and you will see you are one deck up from the Spa pool-there is no pool or hottub in the Sanctuary-and the Spa pool can get very crowded on sea days.

Hi there!Actually,Sanctuary is $10.00 for a half day and $20 for a full day.It is $15 per day per person when purchased for entire cruise!

Sanctuary is really very nice if used properly.The Lotus Spa pool is right downstairs (most people don't even know its there)!Staff is superb!They will bring you anything you like at your request.Sun intensiity is your choice from the beginning.Your lounger is reserved for you and you only.It is so nice not to feel compelled to wake up early in the morning and go to the pool to make your mark for the day.You can arrive/leave and return to Sanctuary as often as you like.

I strongly recommend it if it is within your budget!It is only $195 for a 2 week cruise.It will last alot longer than a $200 excursion!:)

This is exactly the kind of conversation and tips I was hoping for. I can't thank you enough for your advicer and insight.

We like to chill out and play scrabble, cribbage and rarely go into any pool other than the spa or aft pools. On past princess cruises we have used the very top sun deck which is often too far up for a lot of people to climb. On other ships we've hit the "European Bathing" area because there are no kids, not a lot of people and you meet interesting characters. Being 2 gay men the entire "European Style" is a bit lost on us. On one NCL cruise we met the entire dance troupe from the show up there all week... they got their tans without tan lines and we had a great time getting to know them.

On this cruise we really just need to relax... and for 10 days and 0 excursions, I hope we arrive early enough to get in for the entire cruise.

Keep up the tips all!! They are invaluable.;)

I am so glad so many have given you the positive comments. It is nice to know that others felt the same way I did. I have to tell you that we planned our whole trip on getting our chairs. We flew into Ft. Lauderdale the day before, although this is something we always do. We got up early and got to the ship a little after 10:00 a.m. We were directed to wait in the Elite/early arrivers' lounge, and were given cards with #1 on them. :D Once we were there, comfortably seated and holding those #1 cards, I felt so much better. I really needed this to be a relaxing cruise, and was relying on getting those Sanctuary chairs. So, as it turned out we went directly up to the Sancturay and were the first two chairs to be booked - so we had the best selection.

I have to add that the Lotus Pool was quiet and almost empty for the first few days - until it was "discovered!" One afternoon a grown man decided to do a full body roll into the pool from the side, making a huge splash. 100% of the people in the pool gave him such a look that he got out of the pool, with his wife yelling at him - and left!!!:eek:

On our 2009 CB cruise, the week-long Sanctuary passes were sold out by 1 p.m. Passengers who wanted a 1/2 day or full day pass started lining up at 6 a.m. and I was told that one day there was a fist fight as the first passenger in line reserved 6 or 8 loungers for his friends and relatives. Some people who had been waiting in line felt that each person should only be able to reserve two. It's one of those things that depends on what you look for in a cruise. For some it's a waste of money, for others (like myself) it is worth every penny and more!

Here's a stupid question, I assume. Can you bring an insulated cup with the drink of your choice to the Sanctuary? I would assume not. If not, will the servers bring you non alcoholic drinks for free?? But anything they bring to you, you're expected to tip on, right?

Here's a stupid question, I assume. Can you bring an insulated cup with the drink of your choice to the Sanctuary? I would assume not. If not, will the servers bring you non alcoholic drinks for free?? But anything they bring to you, you're expected to tip on, right?

I bring our own drinks in insulated mugs on a fairly regular basis and have never once had them question it. While my wife can sit there relaxing for hours at a time, I'm usually up and down regularly (can't sit still for long or I'll drive her crazy) so I usually go wandering and bring back drinks when I'm done.

Can you bring an insulated cup with the drink of your choice to the Sanctuary? You can bring any food or drink of your choice into the Sanctuary. You do not have to use the food options available there.

But anything they bring to you, you're expected to tip on, right? There is no need to tip every time, just a nice tip at the end of the day or the cruise.

see above

The Sanctuary is lovely, and your comment about fighting for a chair is exactly how we felt! We just got off the Emerald and "bought" two chairs for the week - $105 each. Best money I ever spent! Yes, you can reserve a chair by the day, but you have to present yourself at the Sanctuary each morning to see if a chair is available. The chairs are available both in the sun and in the shade, but be careful when you select a location. If you are out in the sun and want to go into the shade, there are "open" upright chairs available to move to. But, there is not always an available shaded lounge chair.

We boarded the Emerald in the first group at noon and went right to the Sanctuary to get our chairs for the week. I had read that the weekly chairs sold out by 1:00, but I don't think that happened in our week. I am sure it depends on who is cruising your week. :D Being able to come and go as you please, taking a nice relaxing lunch, or going to wine tasting and then always returning to "your" chair was great. Have a wonderful cruise.

I have to agree-last year it was the best money I spent. My husband on the other hand was not so sure. I LOVED the idea of going and coming and knowing the chair would be available-it is more confortable and there is always an attendent around to serve you. We are on the Emerald on 11/28 for 10 days I will once again get a 10 day long chair. We have 2 full cruising days at the beginning so I know the decks will be full with people wanting to get the sun.

I'm hoping to reserve in Sanctuary for the 10-day duration of our Oct 19th cruise - so how soon should be get to the port in order to get on board early enough to reserve one (boarding in Ft Lauderdale)? Is 10:30a too early? Are the elite and/or suite passengers the only ones given 1st group boarding? I don't want to show up 1.5hrs early only to find out I can't board with the 1st group because I'm not elite status.

Any other tips to help my chances of getting a spot are appreciate.

Also, I see in the photos that there are lounge chairs and regular table chars. Do people reserve the regular chairs as well as loungers? Is it a different cost?

Thanks

I'm hoping to reserve in Sanctuary for the 10-day duration of our Oct 19th cruise - so how soon should be get to the port in order to get on board early enough to reserve one (boarding in Ft Lauderdale)? Is 10:30a too early? Are the elite and/or suite passengers the only ones given 1st group boarding? I don't want to show up 1.5hrs early only to find out I can't board with the 1st group because I'm not elite status.

Any other tips to help my chances of getting a spot are appreciate.

Also, I see in the photos that there are lounge chairs and regular table chars. Do people reserve the regular chairs as well as loungers? Is it a different cost?

Thanks

Based on our experience, you only reserve the lounge chairs. The chairs are for anyone use that has a pass. Perhaps if you want to sit up at a table for lunch or get out of the sun if your lounge chair is in the sun.

There were always plenty of reservations available on our cruise. Ours were in the shade in front with a great view, but not useable if it was raining at sea. We both loved the area. It was a great place for a nap and reading. It was our favorite thing about the ship. The Sanctuary, not the nap.

Archived