Southern france: I need advice!

cbb

We're in Monaco in April '11 and would like to go to Eze. What do you all recommend--bus or rental car? We're there from 9am-11pm so there should be plenty of time. Second question: We're in Florence overnight 8am-8pm

and would like to go to either Cinque Terre and/or St Paul. Bus, train, rental ca? He is comfortable driving it but says it isn't as relaxing for him as taking ship's tours. (Type A+++ !) I figure with this much time built into the schedule we can take it easy. Rental car company favorites from those ports? As always, thanks. c

We will be in Monaco next May and were considering renting a car for the day but friends of ours just got back from Monaco and said there's all kinds of road construction going on in and around Monaco and the driving was the worst he's ever experienced in France or Italy and that was with a GPS. I'm not sure if this will be the situation in April or May but I would definitely try and follow-up as you get closer. We have decided to take a private tour.

If you can find another couple to share with you might want to consider a taxi. Yes, it's more expensive but it will take and deliver you from the port to the center of Eze. Consider lunch on the terrace of the Chevre d'or while in Eze. Great views, great food and memories forever. You'll have to reserve way in advance though.

We just returned from an O cruise last week and departed from Monaco for the Nice airport. Yes, there was mad traffic and our host told us it was because "they were doing street repair but it has been going on for years" (a paraphrase). There were many, many vehicles on the the highway between Monaco and Nice but traffic did flow freely. We thought perhaps if we avoided "rush hour" it was doable.

My suggestion would be to get another couple and either use a taxi or a guide. Though more pricey, it is much more relaxing and you find out a lot of information that you wouldnt know if you go on your own. Some areas are much better with a guide.

Jancruz1.

We're in Monaco in April '11 and would like to go to Eze. What do you all recommend--bus or rental car? We're there from 9am-11pm so there should be plenty of time. Second question: We're in Florence overnight 8am-8pm

and would like to go to either Cinque Terre and/or St Paul. Bus, train, rental ca? He is comfortable driving it but says it isn't as relaxing for him as taking ship's tours. (Type A+++ !) I figure with this much time built into the schedule we can take it easy. Rental car company favorites from those ports? As always, thanks. c

Hire a private company by all means..get together with a another couple on your cruise ( or 2) from this board and from those on your cruise ( very easy).. the best contact for So. of France touring is

http://www.dream-tours.com/

ask for Alain or Jean marc as drivers..

you will have a most special enjoyable time in the short time you are there..

;)We are going there on the Nautica 10/18/10 cruise in 1 1/2wks. We decided to book Alain with DREAM TOURS as we heard great things about him. We booked with another couple through Cruise Critic that we are doing Florence as well with - but never met them.

We told Alain to book a tour that just took us to EZE (been there before and just loved it) and to St.Paul de Vence. We thought this would be enough , Apprarently St. Paul is twice as good as EZE.

I took an all day tour with Alain-Dream Tours (Jean Marc was the guide/driver) with a few other passengers out of Monaco on an Oceania cruises last fall. He was an excellent guide, and worth every penny. I would not have been comfortable negotiating the traffic in and around Monaco or along the French Riviera. We passengers agreed in advance what we wanted to see, which included Monaco, Monte Carlo, St. Paul de Vance, Eze, Nice. He even accommodated our small group's differing interests in Nice: 4 wanted to shop, two of us wanted to go to art museums, so he dropped our respective groups off and we all did our thing and he then picked each group back up. I highly recommend them.

I took an all day tour with Alain-Dream Tours (Jean Marc was the guide/driver) with a few other passengers out of Monaco on an Oceania cruises last fall. He was an excellent guide, and worth every penny. I would not have been comfortable negotiating the traffic in and around Monaco or along the French Riviera. We passengers agreed in advance what we wanted to see, which included Monaco, Monte Carlo, St. Paul de Vance, Eze, Nice. He even accommodated our small group's differing interests in Nice: 4 wanted to shop, two of us wanted to go to art museums, so he dropped our respective groups off and we all did our thing and he then picked each group back up. I highly recommend them.

Another vote for Alain, he is the best! :D

AlainNaccache at: www.dream-tours.com - e-mail: infos@dream-tours.com

Eze is easy to get to by bus from either Monaco or Nice.

Last year, we had a wonderful private tour (eight from our roll call) from Monaco with Sylvie di Cristo, visiting Nice, St. Paul de Vence and more.

So when we returned this year, with the ship dropping us in Nice right at the Old Port in the mornng and then leaving in the evening from Monaco, we first explored the Old Nice area and flower market by foot, then took a bus to the fantastic Chagall Museum, then a bus to Eze, with a bus back to Monaco. Easy to do.

I was referred to Sylvie de Cristo as a private guide out of Moncaco by an Oceania traveller whose Oceania Mediterranean Cruise review I had read on Cruise Critic; he said she was excellent. Unfortunately, she was fully booked when I contacted her, but she referred me to Alain-Dream Tours.

I was referred to Sylvie de Cristo as a private guide out of Moncaco by an Oceania traveller whose Oceania Mediterranean Cruise review I had read on Cruise Critic; he said she was excellent. Unfortunately, she was fully booked when I contacted her, but she referred me to Alain-Dream Tours.

We used Sylvie for our first trip to the Riviera, she is indeed excellent.

Eze is easy to get to by bus from either Monaco or Nice.

Last year, we had a wonderful private tour (eight from our roll call) from Monaco with Sylvie di Cristo, visiting Nice, St. Paul de Vence and more.

So when we returned this year, with the ship dropping us in Nice right at the Old Port in the mornng and then leaving in the evening from Monaco, we first explored the Old Nice area and flower market by foot, then took a bus to the fantastic Chagall Museum, then a bus to Eze, with a bus back to Monaco. Easy to do.

We took this same private tour with Sylvie last April. We loved her! A really good tour guide makes a huge difference! Here is the link:

http://www.frenchrivieraguides.net/about-us-sylvie-di-cristo.html

The review was probably mine and if she recommends another guide, I am sure Alain-Dream is just as good. Sylvie was able to get in more sites than most and we had time for lunch in Canne on the beach. Enjoy and don't forget to take your passport to get stamped. :)

The review was probably mine and if she recommends another guide, I am sure Alain-Dream is just as good. Sylvie was able to get in more sites than most and we had time for lunch in Canne on the beach. Enjoy and don't forget to take your passport to get stamped. :)

This is the first time I have read the suggestion to take your passport to get stamped. I don't know if we could have done that or not because Oceania took ours when we boarded and kept them. :(

This is the first time I have read the suggestion to take your passport to get stamped. I don't know if we could have done that or not because Oceania took ours when we boarded and kept them. :(

By the time we got to Monte Carlo, which was towards the end of our trip, ours had been returned. Bummer for me as well which is why I let everyone know ahead of time.

Actually, the review wasn't yours, A Knitter, but I ended up using all of of the guides the reviewer recommended for the ports on the almost identical first cruise of two back to back cruises on Insignia that I took of the Mediterranean, and they were all excellent. His review may still be posted; it was a 2008 review, if I recall correctly.

Actually, the review wasn't yours, A Knitter, but I ended up using all of of the guides the reviewer recommended for the ports on the almost identical first cruise of two back to back cruises on Insignia that I took of the Mediterranean, and they were all excellent. His review may still be posted; it was a 2008 review, if I recall correctly.

Oops, sorry, I stand to be corrected. :)

Will you be there with the Marina?

We will be there April 21st with the Marina and I hope to drive to Eze, La Tourbie and St. Paul de Vence (& Vence?). I am not worried as much about driving as I am about parking at these places and may settle to share a tour if we can find like minded people.

we're not on Marina but on Insignia. (and I meant St Paul from Monaco not Florence, and I meant Lucca from Livorno. I was doing cutting and pasting and somehow got things transposed.) Haven't seen you posting for a while--hope you're back with us now! I've been told by a TA friend of mine that if you can get on the road early, parking at some of the places is fairly easy. I've also read a review recently of Cinque Terre and the writer really disliked CT; he said it was too crowded and very touristy and absolutely filled with Americans. He believes it is not worth the effort to get there so maybe we will bypass CT. I can do crowded and filled with Americans at home!!

I've been told by a TA friend of mine that if you can get on the road early, parking at some of the places is fairly easy. I've also read a review recently of Cinque Terre and the writer really disliked CT; he said it was too crowded and very touristy and absolutely filled with Americans. He believes it is not worth the effort to get there so maybe we will bypass CT. I can do crowded and filled with Americans at home!!

cbb,

Thanks for that hint about parking - I just might chance it.

Don't be so quick to dismiss CT - it is unique and beautiful and thus tends to be crowded for this reason (just like many other beautiful places are nowadays). The Sistine chapel, for example, can be very crowded but I would not skip it for that reason alone. It is worse on the weekends and holidays but I think you should give it a try and decide for yourself. You can do crowded and filled with Americans at home, but you cannot see CT at home :). Of course, if you truly dislike crowds, you may not be pleased, but I found it quite manageable and really beautiful.

I think it is nice to walk part of the trails and then take the boat for a segment or two to see the villages from a different point of view; have a lunch in one of the villages, etc.

That's just my 2 cents' worth on this. Planning ahead is very important - cannot "play it by the ear" b/o of train and boat schedules, unless you are there overnight.

Paul,

Of course you're right; I rarely let other opinions dictate what I will see and CT should be no exception. Thank you for reminding me of that. From what I understand CT would be like one of our national parks and so one could buy a pass and hike much of it which would be fun, especially for amateur photographers! The only reason I think a rental car would be great is that it allows so much flexibility. If we tired of one place we could make our way back to the car and take off! How much fun would that be? Going with a group tour, no matter how small wouldn't permit that flexibility and renting a car seems to be a price performer compared to guide + car. BTW, crowds are not a problem for us but we do travel in April-May and Sept-Oct when most people cannot. Glad to hear from you! c

Archived