My FORMAL NIGHT Experience...(AND RANT)

teacherman

On one of our cruises a man came to the dining room on formal night in cotton shirt, shorts and baseball cap - the man at the door refused to let him in and said that his attire was not appropriate - he left and later came back wearing a cotton shirt, sweat pants and a baseball cap. He was allowed in.

We enjoy dressing up for formal nights but understand that not everyone wants to do this - still, ultra casual shouldn't be allowed and yes, it should be consistent on all the ships.

What a concept ... sweatpants as formal wear:D

I wish passengers honored the guidelines, and not have to quibble whether or not HAL enforced them. We all seem to honor guidelines to wear bathing suits in the pool, but that doesn't make any real sense either.

Going into the pool in your shorts and tee-shirt is just the same as going in your speedo. You are equally covered and whatever you are wearing gets wet. Same thing. Yet I would say there is probably close to 100% compliance with bathing suits as appropriate attire for swimming pools. We all seem to honor those dress guidelines, right?

Why then are dress guidelines only flaunted on clearly designated formal nights, when many feel on that one occasion they have the right to ignore the formal dress guidelines and substitute anything they want?

I agree, use alternate dining venues if following the dress guidelines is not your choice. And I hope they also enforce not wearing pants and tee-shirts in the pool or wearing pajamas to the movies, which also makes sense because you might fall asleep.

The statement is interesting: On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo.

Will they turn you away if you dress a nice suit or jacket but in bright color? :D

------------------------------------------------------------------

Formal night is one of the experience that we enjoy during the cruise. My kids always behave extremely well that night. I would feel uncomfortable if someone dress casually next to me while I am wearing a gown specially sometimes you need to share table with other people.

On one of our cruises a man came to the dining room on formal night in cotton shirt, shorts and baseball cap - the man at the door refused to let him in and said that his attire was not appropriate - he left and later came back wearing a cotton shirt, sweat pants and a baseball cap. He was allowed in.

Ohhhhh noooooo.... :eek: baseball caps are being allowed in the MDR on formal night....was it being worn backward? :cool:

If sweatpants and ball caps are accetable, perhaps we're seeing a trend where robes and ball caps will be acceptable formal wear attire....but only if the ball cap is sporting the logo of the latest World Series winner -- a line must be drawn somewhere. ;)

And, if the MCD kicks their show up a notch and adds lap dances to their r'epertoire, the dress code for that night might go out the door...so to speak. :D

Just to add...

We decided our last cruise, we would try NCL, as we wanted to see what the whole "freedom to do as you please" thing was all about...To each their own, but we have decided we prefer the nicer, more traditional so to speak...lines like X, and HAL and also Princess.

So we are now packing to keep it simple, especially with the darn baggage fees when flying...My husband wears suits/ties, etc. often for business, so he does get a bit tired of it all... so we decided to bring nice slacks for him, a nicely colored dress shirt and a light weight sharp looking sweater, and hip vest to match it all, he wears his cufflinks, polished shoes, nice belt, etc and smells like a million bucks...It was soooo easy to pack, w/o the jackets and very lightweight... Bringing 2 different dressy ties and 2 different colored dress shirts and 1 pair of dress slacks works and he enjoys wearing them. I'm easy, cause I just always have my favorite pair of black dressy pants, heels, lots of glittery accessories, hair, makeup...and dressy top and sweater, etc that I can so interchange. It feels like you are dressing up, but really, it's just making a few right choices and putting them all together to look appropriate for formal night...

This subject NEVER dies, just keep it simple and bring those easy fixes! :) Makes everyone happy...including yourself! I thank God there are still places to dress for dinner..One of the reasons we LOVE to cruise...

My .02:

I personally like dressing up on HAL (and do so to some degree every night) since in this age of casual work attire and restaurants dressing up seems to be going the way of learning formal dance steps.

HOWEVER I recognize that everyone interprets this a bit different. For example: I consider smart casual to include designer jeans, dress shoes, a dress shirt (or dress shirt style), and a jacket. I am a younger person and to me that is appropriate but I know others think that jeans are never OK in the dining room.

To me if you have made the 'attempt' that should be good enough. I think any sane person would know that a tube top, baseball cap (is the rule of no hats at the table that my mother instilled upon me no longer valid?), Teva's, tshirts, or the ilk are not a serious attempt.

The statement is interesting: On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo.

Will they turn you away if you dress a nice suit or jacket but in bright color? :D

------------------------------------------------------------------

Formal night is one of the experience that we enjoy during the cruise. My kids always behave extremely well that night. I would feel uncomfortable if someone dress casually next to me while I am wearing a gown specially sometimes you need to share table with other people.

No, they will not turn you away if you wear a brightly-colored suit or tux. On one cruise a gentleman wore a neon-bright lilac tux. I didn't care for it, but it didn't ruin my evening. :rolleyes:

My guess is that HAL and others will eventually go the way of some of the the premium lines such as Oceania and Azamarra.

I surmise that means smart casual for MDR dinners each and every night?

If HAL were to go that route, I think it would open up a whole world of possibilities. If some consider sweatpants and baseball caps appropriate for formal night ... what would those passengers donning such attire consider to be smart casual? Underwear as outerwear, perhaps?

[quote name='IRL_Joanie;26367898

]I believe the sentence should read:

"On festive Formal evenings' date=' ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown. Gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo."

Joanie

']

Why the "usually" for ladies and not for the men?

Why the "usually" for ladies and not for the men?

OK, so we remove Usually from it and we can all hope to be happy, but then again, that would leave more interpretation/misinterpretation....

I really think the word usually pertains more to women because we have a variety of styles to choose from, fancy dress pants with sparkly tops, fancy dress suits, fancy dresses, long ball gowns, After 5 p.m. cocktail dresses, suits, outfits, prom dresses, etc... More options for us than men, as IMO it should be:)

Joanie

Because of airline Greed, packing has become a real challenge. Certainly, some cruises lend themselves to formal attire. Others do not (e.g. Alaska cruise tours).

When planning for outdoor activities and changeable weather, one must concentrate on layers, appropriate footwear, and rain/snow gear. Little room, if any, is available for sport coats and suits. Consequently, a flexible policy seems appropriate. I'll throw in a couple ties and hope for the best.

The challenge is a little less troubling for the ladies. e.g. "little black dress."

...I think any sane person would know that a tube top, baseball cap (is the rule of no hats at the table that my mother instilled upon me no longer valid?), Teva's, tshirts, or the ilk are not a serious attempt.

My mother's rule was "If there is a roof above your head, you do not need a hat".

We were on the Volendam in 2008 and yes, what you described is what was enforced on our cruise. Men could wear a button down shirt with a tie and no jacket, or wear a jacket and shirt with no tie and be allowed in on formal night. Women could wear just about anything except jeans I think.(

My DH and I are not formal people and I understand both sides but don't know the proper solution. Those who are into dressing up like to be surrounded by others who are dressed up and share the same experience. On the other hand, I understand those who believe they paid for this cruise just like everyone else and they should be able to dress the way they want. We were on this cruise with my brother-in-law and sister. He was turned away because he had a dress shirt but no tie on. I guess this was the first time he had that happen on all of his many cruises. He does not like to pack dress clothes. They had no ties to offer him, so he went and purchased one. (My DH did throw a tie in suitcase at the last minute) Had we been on this cruise ourselves, I would have simply gone to eat in the Lido. I am a rule follower. I have no problem if a cruise ship dining room wants to require certain clothing. As long as they give me another dining venue, I have no issues.

Read your fantastic tour review and have a question about rental car agencies. Are Suburban type vehicles available in Anchorage and Seward, as we will be two couples touring?

OP, you say this didn't ruin your cruise, and yet you still started a thread that was a self-described "rant". Then you describe this thread as "fun"? Ummm ...are we to understand you just want to see how many people will respond, and how? C'mon....you're just teasing everyone, right?

I may have missed it in your posts....but don't think you've stated whether you knew what the dress code was before sailing?

If so...there are lots of lines on which what you described would be perfectly acceptable for an Alaska formal night. Many of them have itineraries similar or identical to Volendam. Did you consider any of them before booking? Or, was there some other reason why you ignored the dress code when you packed, yet still showed up in the MDR (instead of the casual Lido, with the same menu)?

If you didn't consider the dress code before booking - may I ask why not, if the subject merits a "rant" after the fact?

Hope you plan your next cruise better to avoid a similar situation.

PS - I read the OP's posts carefully, but didn't read everything else in this thread due to its length. Apologies if my remarks duplicate someone else.

I found it especially interesting that your table mates weren't speaking to you.....seemingly because of your ill-fitting jacket. Did no one at the table have a sense of humor? I hope it's not routine for dinner companions to only speak to those wearing attire they feel is up to their own individual standards.

Formal means formal. What part of that is so hard to understand? Yes, the policies should be uniformly enforced, but why would anyone try to enter a formal venue when not dresses formally? Formal night doesn't mean "except for you". People who do not conform to the dress codes are, in my opinion, selfish, in that they degrade the experience for others who may actually enjoy the traditional ocean liner experience of formal dining.

If you don't want to conform to the dress code, you should not visit the dining room on formal nights, but go to the Lido or another dining venue. Or better yet, choose a ship or line with no formal nights.

My guess is that HAL and others will eventually go the way of some of the the premium lines such as Oceania and Azamarra.

Perhaps those passengers know how to self-enforce their own dress codes in the first place and smart casual never means baseball caps, sweat pants and "good jeans".

I found it especially interesting that your table mates weren't speaking to you.....seemingly because of your ill-fitting jacket. Did no one at the table have a sense of humor? I hope it's not routine for dinner companions to only speak to those wearing attire they feel is up to their own individual standards.

Agree, this part of the story does not make sense or do we know if the other passengers had gone to the effort to dress up and we let down by this blatant intent to undermine the formal dress guidelines, and who know making a fuss about it too. Not buying much of this original complaint.

Perhaps those passengers know how to self-enforce their own dress codes in the first place and smart casual never means baseball caps, sweat pants and "good jeans".

From my experience on Oceania, you are correct. Passengers are generally very well dressed, and there are no jeans allowed in the dining room or speciality restaurants. I certainly didn't see any baseball caps!

Read your fantastic tour review and have a question about rental car agencies. Are Suburban type vehicles available in Anchorage and Seward, as we will be two couples touring?

Hertz is your only option in Seward and checking their website, it looks like they have limited types of vehicles in Seward. I do see a Nissan Xterra or similar 4WD/AWD 5 Passenger Standard SUV listed as well as a mini van and a full size Impala. They do not list the price for the mini van; you have to call. Prices will be much higher in Seward as there is no competition.

In Anchorage you shouldn't have any trouble finding a larger vehicle. Best advice I can give you is to book a cancellable reservation now and then keep checking for price drops and deals. We booked about 11 months out I think and got a great deal through Enterprise in the downtown location.

Seward can run out of cars, so I would make sure to book that one for sure. If you are planning on driving from Seward to Anchorage, rather than taking the train, I would book two different rentals. Renting in Seward and dropping off in Anchorage will mean renting at a much higher daily rate. (Not sure if Hertz also charges an additional drop off fee). The car you rent in Seward, I would turn in as soon as I got to Anchorage. That way you have fewer days at the higher fee. Then I would pick up another car rental at a better price from whichever agency I can get the best price. We have done this on several vacations.

DH, myself and another couple were recently on a HAL cruise. We had dinner in the PG on formal night. Due to my recollection of a prior HAL cruise and dinner in the PG, I remembered a large group in the PG, none of which were dressed in formal wear. So, you know what they say about assume, DH and other DH came dressed in linen slacks and appropriate shirts, but no jacket, no tie....Back to the Dressing Room you Clods!!!:D No, they did not put it this way, but they did need to go get jackets..ok rule is a rule. As I sat and waited for them to return, another group was seated dressed to the nine's! They appeared to be well seasoned cruisers and look like they stepped right out the elegance of the "Titanic". An elderly couple and a young couple. As I told the tale of the missing tablemates, the elderly woman did the "tsk tsk....you do realize that this IS fomal nite"... pardon my unexcusable ignorance. So, the night proceeds. The reason to my tale.....??? they, the very dressed up and proper folks, had NO -- ZERO --- NADDA ---- table manners!!!! elbows on the table, mouth wide open with food falling out, blowing their nose at the table!!!! and I won't even go into how they treated the waitstaff in the PG. So it just goes to show, you can dress up the pig, but it's still a pig... Clothing does not make the person. Give me table manners over a stuffy suit any day!

Therein goes my point - to me dress jeans are smart casual and your opinion that they aren't really has no impact on me - nor should it. To my generation this is dressing up. For clarity "good jeans" as you call them are not Levi's you have recently bought. They are denim pants that have been designed to be worn in more formal settings and are structured that way. Denim, once again, to my generation, is much preferred to polyester or cotton "dress pants."

I have never been turned away at dinner, regularly receive compliments from my table mates for both my attire and my manners, and I consider what I do to be much more important than what I wear.

Archived