When I Wear my Maasdam T-shirt......

sail7seas

What do you think?

If I'm on Eurodam, should I wear my Maasdam jersey?

If on Noordam, you think they wouldn't like seeing DH's Maasdam's Cap?

I'd never wear another cruiseline's logo items on a different line (we don't have many left as it's been so long since we sailed anyone but HAL) but what do you think about wearing things from another HAL ship?

You think there's a special pride among crew that could be slightly insulted to see another ship's jerseys? :)

Interesting question. At first I thought why not. But as you said would the crew be insulted?

I would think that you might find some crew who have either been on the Maasdam or have friends that are currently working on it that would appreciate the reminder. And may even want to chat.

At the same time you are certainly a well known cruiser on HAL and many know of your love of HAL but espicially the Maasdam. Go for it.

Sail,

I have not encountered a situation where a crew member of "X"dam was upset/insulted because I was wearing a "Y"dam cap or shirt. I am one who buys a T-shirt or, being mostly bald, a ball cap on each ship almost each sailing. I had seen others on HAL ships wearing gear from other HAL ships, and decided to do the same.

Over the course of probably a half-dozen cruises in which I have done so, I have either gotten no reaction at all, or a "Oh, wow, the old Noordam -- I was on her when I first started with HAL" or a "I have a friend on the Statendam, did you run across him/her?" type of reaction from the crew.

Reactions from fellow passengers have also either been nothing that I noticed, or a "how did you like the Maasdam; we're thinking of taking a cruise on her" type of of reaction. Nobody has said anything negative (that I've heard, wearing hearing aids as I do. Of course, they perhaps are muttering "what a jerk," but I've never heard it. :D But, DW would have, and would have stopped me by now if she did.)

I'm not sure what the reaction would be if you wore something from Carnival, or Celebrity, or NCL, etc. ;)

Wear your Maasdam gear and be happy!

Dave

So many of the crew bounce around between ships on different contracts that I highly doubt any of them would notice or care if you were wearing a shirt from a different ship or even a different cruise line. I say go for it.

DH regularly wears his RC golf shirt on Celebrity and Princess cruises. I truly don't think the crew cares one bit, and, if anything, it provides a conversation topic at dinner when a tablemate inevitably asks how RC compares to whichever cruise line we're on. At which point DH smiles and always says the same thing..."This cruise line is better".

Sail,

I have not encountered a situation where a crew member of "X"dam was upset/insulted because I was wearing a "Y"dam cap or shirt. I am one who buys a T-shirt or, being mostly bald, a ball cap on each ship almost each sailing. I had seen others on HAL ships wearing gear from other HAL ships, and decided to do the same.

Over the course of probably a half-dozen cruises in which I have done so, I have either gotten no reaction at all, or a "Oh, wow, the old Noordam -- I was on her when I first started with HAL" or a "I have a friend on the Statendam, did you run across him/her?" type of reaction from the crew.

Reactions from fellow passengers have also either been nothing that I noticed, or a "how did you like the Maasdam; we're thinking of taking a cruise on her" type of of reaction. Nobody has said anything negative (that I've heard, wearing hearing aids as I do. Of course, they perhaps are muttering "what a jerk," but I've never heard it. :D But, DW would have, and would have stopped me by now if she did.)

I'm not sure what the reaction would be if you wore something from Carnival, or Celebrity, or NCL, etc. ;)

Wear your Maasdam gear and be happy!

Dave

Dave,

I see in your signature that you're sailing the 2/6/12 Maasdam cruise. Lovely itinerary...I just saw it yesterday. Am thinking of booking that one myself! We're on the Maasdam this winter on the 1/28 sailing which has the "other" itinerary...so I'd like to do the one on 2/6...never been to St. Croix or St. Kitts! Is it booking quickly or do you think we can wait til we're on board in January?

What do you think?

If I'm on Eurodam, should I wear my Maasdam jersey?

If on Noordam, you think they wouldn't like seeing DH's Maasdam's Cap?

I'd never wear another cruiseline's logo items on a different line (we don't have many left as it's been so long since we sailed anyone but HAL) but what do you think about wearing things from another HAL ship?

You think there's a special pride among crew that could be slightly insulted to see another ship's jerseys? :)

All I can say is "Oh My Goodness NO" We have logo wear from every ship and the crew often comment fondly especially if they have worked on that ship. It basically lets them know you are a frequent HAL cruiser :D

I cannot tell you how many HAL shirts and hats we saw on people on the Celebrity Solstice :eek: It was always a conversation starter :) Tom still where a Golf Shirt he got on the Monarch of the Seas back in 2002. It was a high quality shirt and after hundreds of washings it still looks really good. I purchased some very high quality women's golf shirts on the Solstice that say Solstice and plan to wear them on furture cruises ;) Along with my HAL shirts :)

I always wear one of my "On Deck for the Cure" shirts when I walk in the morning....I always get a lot of comments... not ship specific, but they know I have sailed Holland previously... the Cruise Director always takes the opportunity to say something about the day we will be doing the walk on that cruise... Of course I also wear it at home and people are always asking about my cruise... I really like it and I get a new one every cruise...so have plenty to spare... DB777

Thanks, everyone. That settles it. It'll be a Maasdam jersey on Eurodam and a Eurodam jersey on Noordam but surely a Maasdam jersey when we get back to Maasdam. :) Well, correction..... We'll get Noordam jerseys to wear on Noordam. :)

I always wear one of my "On Deck for the Cure" shirts when I walk in the morning....I always get a lot of comments... not ship specific, but they know I have sailed Holland previously... the Cruise Director always takes the opportunity to say something about the day we will be doing the walk on that cruise... Of course I also wear it at home and people are always asking about my cruise... I really like it and I get a new one every cruise...so have plenty to spare... DB777

Perfect!!! On Deck for the Cure shirts are always appropriate. We're so proud of HAL's committment to finding a cure. We love they participate so enthusiastically.

If you like giving free advertising to ANY company, go ahead!

I figure if I've had a great experience with Holland America, I'm happy to let others know about it. Wearing one of the logo t-shirts / golf shirts doesn't make me feel like a walking billboard.

Not to hijack this thread, but a number of months ago I was sure I'd seen something about HAL no longer having On Deck For The Cure, but were going to support St. Jude's Hospital. Was I dreaming that?

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

I figure if I've had a great experience with Holland America, I'm happy to let others know about it. Wearing one of the logo t-shirts / golf shirts doesn't make me feel like a walking billboard.

Not to hijack this thread, but a number of months ago I was sure I'd seen something about HAL no longer having On Deck For The Cure, but were going to support St. Jude's Hospital. Was I dreaming that?

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

They had the 'On Deck For the Cure' walk two weeks ago on Veendam, Your Honor!;)

Looking forward to getting new "On Deck for the Cure" t-shirts. Ours are pretty worn out. :)

HAL deserves special kudos for being the original cruiseline to give the opportunity to passengers to contribute to a worthy cause. It has been extremely sucessful.

I thought it so impressive HAL asked Ambassador Nancy Brinker to participate in Nieuw Amsterdam's Dedication. That certainly indicates the intensity of HAL's involvement in helping to Find a Cure. We have a large collection of the t-shirts and pink wrist bands as we donate and/or walk almost every cruise.

Dave,

I see in your signature that you're sailing the 2/6/12 Maasdam cruise. ... Is it booking quickly or do you think we can wait til we're on board in January?

Sheila,

I don't really know, or even how to tell except if the booking availabilites start closing on the HAL website. There still appear to be all categories of rooms available for booking, so I don't think waiting to book until January would be too great a risk. It seems a great itinerary to us, and as you say has ports we also have not visited. Enoy the trip in January (Donna and Jon, too)!

Sail,

They had to Komen walk on both parts of our Collectors' Cruise on Noordam early this year. We also almost always participate or at least contribute, and have several Komen walk shirts. (We have started declining them so they have that little bit more for the charity; when what we have wear out, we'll take another set.) We've always gotten positive reactions when we wear them.

Happy to see you've decided to go with the Maasdam gear. Hope you have a great time!

Dave

Thanks, everyone. That settles it. It'll be a Maasdam jersey on Eurodam and a Eurodam jersey on Noordam but surely a Maasdam jersey when we get back to Maasdam. :) Well, correction..... We'll get Noordam jerseys to wear on Noordam. :)

LOL...that's too much to think about for me...I just wear my dam shirts as sleep shirts...so no one is the wiser...of course, up til now, we've only been on the Noordam anyway!

Sheila,

I don't really know, or even how to tell except if the booking availabilites start closing on the HAL website. There still appear to be all categories of rooms available for booking, so I don't think waiting to book until January would be too great a risk. It seems a great itinerary to us, and as you say has ports we also have not visited. Enoy the trip in January (Donna and Jon, too)!

Dave

Thanks, Dave...

I booked a Collectors Cruise in January of 25 days, I believe. But then, bumped it up to January for the 14 day segment...so would really like to do the other part of the itinerary...and am so glad to see that it's being offered in '12! We may just try a lanai for fun! Although, in the Caribbean we enjoy having breakfast on our verandah....decisions... decisions! It was a pleasure to meet you both on the last part of our Collectors Cruise last Feburary...on the first part of yours! I want to thank you again for the "Pink Flamingo" flag you brought to the M & G...I still have it!

I always look for generic HAL caps, shirts, and jackets to buy that do not mention a specific ship. It is hard to find those as compared to the ones that mention the specific ship, at least in the gift shops. The former gear exchanged for 'Dam Dollars' was different from the items sold in the gift shops, and usually they only mentioned HAL, and not a specific ship.

I like to wear the logo of the line I am cruising on, especially on embarkation day, to show that I am a repeat customer.:)

I've found wearing logo wear from another ship on the same line is always a good conversation starter, particularly with the crew. Most of them have a fondness for certain ships and are happy to chat about them. Whenever we wear logo wear from another ship, the crew will always ask when we sailed the ship, where to, did we like it, etc. It's fun.

As for wearing logo wear from another line, that's a personal decision. Some find it inappropriate, others don't see it as a big deal. I have seen plenty of people wear HAL logo wear on Celebrity or Princess cruises and vice versa, so I'd wager most passengers don't even put much thought into it ("hey, a clean shirt, let me pack it for the cruise"), much less mind.

Archived