Own lap top, or RCI online equipment?

Trying to decide the pros and cons of taking my own laptop or using the RCI online equipment on my upcoming Jewel 10 night cruise. 10 nights is a long time to not be

connected, so I will want to connect on the ship. I know there is of course a fee, but I believe it is the same whether you use RCI's equipment or my own familiar lap top.

On the Monarch I was told the internet is veerrrrry slow, but not sure if it is the internet service or the ships computers.

Would rather not have to drag my lap top along, with all my other overstuffed and overpacked bags :rolleyes: ...but will if I have to.

Trying to decide the pros and cons of taking my own laptop or using the RCI online equipment on my upcoming Jewel 10 night cruise. 10 nights is a long time to not be

connected, so I will want to connect on the ship. I know there is of course a fee, but I believe it is the same whether you use RCI's equipment or my own familiar lap top.

On the Monarch I was told the internet is veerrrrry slow, but not sure if it is the internet service or the ships computers.

Would rather not have to drag my lap top along, with all my other overstuffed and overpacked bags :rolleyes: ...but will if I have to.

I always take my laptop, if not for internet use then to back up my photos each day

The internet is very slow regardless of using your equipment or the ships. I always bring a laptop. I do alot of emailing from the ship and it can be cheaper if you use a mail client and download your emails, disconnect, reply to them and then reconnect to send them.

I also take a ton of pictures and I download them to my computer each day.

Strictly a personal decision though.

Thanks to you both for your helpful replies. Guess I will have to decide after I get all

my bags together if I can convince DH to add one more bag to the pile! :eek:

Will probably like using my own laptop versus the ship computers anyway.

We always take our laptop with us. You can do things off line on a laptop which is something you can't do with the RCI computers on board.

Internet packages available while on board...

New price as of April 10, 2010 is $.65 per minute

Pre-Paid Internet Packages:

$ 35 = 60 minutes or 58 cents a minute

$ 55 = 100 minutes or 55 cents a minute

$ 75 = 150 minutes or 50 cents a minute

$100 = 250 minutes or 40 cents a minute

$150 = 500 minutes or 30 cents a minute

the laptop is nice because you can often find somewhere in a port (internet cafe or we've used a public library in Canada) where you can get much cheaper, much faster, internet access (sometimes you can even pick up a free signal onboard when the ship is docked). You can write things up on a sea day, and then do a quick check in at the onshore cafe or whatever to upload, download, check in, whatever ... it usually is just a 30 minute thing for us, including bringing the computer back to the ship before we head out to explore again.

I took my laptop this year for the first time. We were away for 5 weeks total but 17 days on Rhapsody of Seas around Australia. I did a blog for the folks at home. I did my blog in a word document then uploaded daily. also as others have stated, I downloaded photos daily.

I think taking a computer is fine, but really not necessary for many people. If you need to get into your bank account LOL after realizing that you have maxed out our debit card yes by all means take your own CPU. But, if it is just casual communications, like harassing people back home LOL about your good time, I think I would do the ships computers. I guess until someone comes out with a good tablet computer ie: I pad(waiting for the second generation) which doubles as a book reader etc, I would buy one in a heart beat for travel.

Or I guess you could buy a Ipod touch and do your connections through it, a lot smaller than a laptop.

You are driving to Fort Lauderdale, aren't you? Then just take your own. Different situation if you had to fly, but you will drive, right?

I never take my laptop. I do not want to have to lug it around, whether it be in an airport or onto/off the ship. It also takes up valuable counter space in the cabin. I am not tethered to the internet like some people. When I go on vacation, I like to get away from all of that stuff. I might check my e-mail once while we're on the ship. I also have several memory cards for my camera so I don't need a laptop to download the pictures to.

As others have stated, the internet is verrrrry slow whether you use their equipment or your own.

What we do is compose our e-mails as Word documents, then copy/paste them into Outlook. It's an incredible time and money saver, not having the clock running when figuring out what to include. Unfortunately, only the Freedom and Oasis class ships have wi-fi available in staterooms ... something for RCI to consider during drydocks of older vessels. The original ethernet connections have been discontinued.

I do take my laptop ... but my upcoming cruise on the Voyager will be the first one that doesn't have stateroom wi-fi (we cruise with Princess often, and all the ships we've sailed have that feature). I'm not looking forward to finding the hot spots, hoping that there will be some room ... and if the connection is as slow as most posters remark, I may have to think twice about which ship we'll be sailing on our next cruise. We did do a transatlantic on the Independence, and the service was fine, so let's hope ...

Al

I always travel with my laptop because I need to keep in touch with my staff. Most ship internet is slow. I usually download my mail, log off and reply to e-mails, log back on and send.

-X- Eclipse has wireless to the cabins and I loved that.

Jo

The only different comment I want to put out there is that while we usually always take our laptop, I have found that when the ship doesn't have in cabin available WiFi, it might not be necessary to lug it along..JMHO

take your laptop.... you save lots of money because you can prepare your emails in word and read incoming email while offline.

also: rccl equipment is very popular which is compounded by the fact that as the cruise carries on more and more computer stations go out of service increasing wait-times even further.

another advantage is that there is usually wifi on the pool deck so you can enjoy the air/view and/or stay with your group/family while online or preparing emails.

You are driving to Fort Lauderdale, aren't you? Then just take your own. Different situation if you had to fly, but you will drive, right?

Ahh...you know me well, eh? Yes, I am driving to FL, so will not have an airport hassle.

I think you have a point there! :)

My last cruise, my roommate had an issue with a shore excursion. RCCL claimed it was cancelled before the cruise and the money refunded to her credit card - but she had never received the credit. Shore excursions kept insisting she had to take it up with Miami when she got home. We pulled up her bank account info on my laptop and took the laptop down to the desk to show them no credit. That got them to agree to contact Miami themselves, and she had the credit on her onboard account the next day.

The only different comment I want to put out there is that while we usually always take our laptop, I have found that when the ship doesn't have in cabin available WiFi, it might not be necessary to lug it along..JMHO

Jewel doesn't have in cabin wifi but even then it was nice to be able to take my laptop to the Schooner Bar and other places instead of being stuck in the internet cafe.

Also, many of the computers in the internet cafe on 4 were constantly locking up, etc. (I used those computers a few times when leaving breakfast). It's not just the internet that's the problem - it's the computer that are part of the problem.

I wonder why someone takes a laptop on Vacation I go to relax on vacation I turn my cell phone off I dont contact the outside world I try to destress from the normal daily grind of life I trust the Captain will take me to great places exotic lands I will be entertained by the crews staff that will provide for me and serve me day and night what ever I wish

Well I tell everyone I know that Im on Vacation I wil talk to you in 10 days BYE BYE

If my laptop gets lonely Im sure it will understand as I will abuse it as much as possible on CC pre and post cruise so it too may be looking for a little vacation

What we do is compose our e-mails as Word documents, then copy/paste them into Outlook. It's an incredible time and money saver, not having the clock running when figuring out what to include. Al

take your laptop.... you save lots of money because you can prepare your emails in word and read incoming email while offline.

Why write your email message in Word and then copy/paste into your email when you can completely compose (including attaching pictures and documents) the email while working off line in the laptop's email browser (Outlook Express, Windows Mail, etc.) and select send later (File>Send Later) which will save the message in your Outbox. The Outbox emails can then be sent when you are next online. This is more efficient as the only time needed online is to actually upload and download your emails. Once the uploads and downloads are done you can go off line to read the just received emails and if needed type your response to any which also can be saved in the Outbox.

In fact if you are working or composing an email off line using the laptop's email browser and click on Send, it will default to the Send Later and place that email in your Outbox because of the lack of an internet connection if you aren't logged on to the ship's WiFi.

What I do is set my laptop's email browser not to send and receive messages at start up (Tools>Options>General Tab, uncheck the send and receive messages at start up box and Check for New Messages every so many minutes box) so I am offline when I start the email browser up.

When I am ready to send and receive emails I log on and select Tools>Send and Receive>Send and Receive All or Receive All or Send All. You can even set your email browser to send and receive from several email accounts by setting up all of the email addresses by selecting Tools>Accounts>Add.

Take your laptop and in ports follow the crew. They know where all the wifi hotspots are. If you see a bunch of people sitting around the outside of buildings using their laptops that's the crew using a wifi hotspot. Sometimes just searching for available networks while on the ship in port you can connect to them from the ship.

Bringing your own laptop gives you all the advantages that have already been mentioned in the previous messages, plus so much more. Two big things it provides are convenience and familiarity.

You can sit there at night using it in your PJs in comfort without needing to go running out to the ship's lab.

Everything is organized just the way you like it with your favorite bookmarks and your favorite browser with your own personal preferences set.

You have access to all your trip information about your itinerary, the ports, your excursions, cruise documents, name & address lists, hotel and rental car reservations, discount codes, schedules, right there at your fingertips on the laptop so no need to bring along and shuffle through piles of papers.

You have easy access to info like weather reports or maps for any location and foreign currency or metric system conversion tables

If your flight is delayed or canceled, you can sit in the airport looking up alternate routing options and check seat availablity on alternate flights.

Not only can you back up your photos on your laptop, but you can organize and edit them and send copies to whomever you wish and immediately give copies to new friends and crew on the ship.

Bringing your own laptop saves you money not just for reading and writing your mail offline but also because you can download information about anything at all to read offline. You can't do that on a ship's computer or on a public computer at an Internet cafe where you need to sit there and read it online while you are being charged for every minute.

Bringing your own laptop gives you all the advantages that have already been mentioned in the previous messages, plus so much more. Two big things it provides are convenience and familiarity.

You can sit there at night using it in your PJs in comfort without needing to go running out to the ship's lab.

Everything is organized just the way you like it with your favorite bookmarks and your favorite browser with your own personal preferences set.

You have access to all your trip information about your itinerary, the ports, your excursions, cruise documents, name & address lists, hotel and rental car reservations, discount codes, schedules, right there at your fingertips on the laptop so no need to bring along and shuffle through piles of papers.

You have easy access to info like weather reports or maps for any location and foreign currency or metric system conversion tables

If your flight is delayed or canceled, you can sit in the airport looking up alternate routing options and check seat availablity on alternate flights.

Not only can you back up your photos on your laptop, but you can organize and edit them and send copies to whomever you wish and immediately give copies to new friends and crew on the ship.

Bringing your own laptop saves you money not just for reading and writing your mail offline but also because you can download information about anything at all to read offline. You can't do that on a ship's computer or on a public computer at an Internet cafe where you need to sit there and read it online while you are being charged for every minute.

That's only true if you are sailing on a Freedom or Oasis class ship..............unless you don't mind walking the Royal Promenade in your PJ's. ;)

That's only true if you are sailing on a Freedom or Oasis class ship..............unless you don't mind walking the Royal Promenade in your PJ's. ;)

Yeah, that scary thought came to my mind too, as I am on the Jewel without cabin wifi access....

Make way...Middle aged crazy lady in her wild PJ's with a lap top cruising the hallways!! :eek: :p :D

Archived