How long did you "lurk" before your first post?

COLLEYBERRY

" Lurking " not the most attractive of terms ;) ...how long did you quietly observe before your first post ?

If you were(or are) hesitant about posting ,what was(is) the main reason for your reluctance.

I sometimes wonder how much fresh input ,info, or interesting questions we are missing from our "quiet majority":)

I've been here so long I don't remember. :eek:

I started on this site using WebTV.... some of you probably never heard of it. :D

For people like me who were not in the work place, had no place to get computer instruction etc, it was a wonderful way to ease into the new 'technology' on our own.

It was because of upgrades to CC that I was forced to bite the bullet and get a computer. Web TV became incompatible here. At the time, I was in a panic I would lose my access to CC so made myself learn what I needed to use a laptop here and my e-mail.

I still recall one of the first messages I wrote on my new laptop was to Laura S thanking her for the upgrade as it forced to me 'get with it'.

My guess is I lurked for at least 2 or 3 months before I posted anything.

No Lurking here for me. I have been posting to and moderating on Bulletin Boards for around 20 years. I lost my shyness long ago :D (some might think that a shame) ;)

I am sure you are correct that a wealth of knowledge, great stories and of course opinions are left unposted and that is a shame.

While my membership here only goes back to 2004 I actually participated in the forerunner to Cruise Critic on AOL back in the early 90's. The ex and I took our last cruise together in 1996 and I stayed away from cruising and the AOL cruise board until 2004. I no longer was an AOL customer so I did a search and found Cruise Critic. I think I jumped right in again because I was trying to catch up with all that had happened in the world of cruising over all those years. If I lurked it couldn't have been for more than a couple of visits.

I joined right away and made a few posts and then I kind of let it slide. I didn't realize what a wonderful place this is. Someone on my Panama Canal cruise in 2007 stopped me to ask if I was "KweenKaren from CC"...I was very surprised. I just didn't realize how people got together and made friendships. After that I became quite active and am SOOOOO thankful for Cruise Critic!!

I "lurked" for a couple of years before joining up just last week. What made me finally join was that Joannie was hosting a M&G on our upcoming cruise and it sounded like fun. My DH can't believe how much time I spend "lurking", but he's happy when we get to a port and I've got everything planned!!

Like Randyk47, I was once active on the AOL boards (1995, IIRC), then I dropped my membership. After I discovered that CC had its own website, I looked in on Cruise Critic every once in a while for a number of years, but I didn't begin lurking on a regular basis until a couple of months before my first post.

" Lurking " not the most attractive of terms ;) ...how long did you quietly observe before your first post ?

If you were(or are) hesitant about posting ,what was(is) the main reason for your reluctance.

I sometimes wonder how much fresh input ,info, or interesting questions we are missing from our "quiet majority":)

Probably not very long, colleyberry! I'm a "jump right in" kind of person! :)

A couple of years.

Why - too much flaming

Found a wealth of information here and still finding it - thanks to all the people that take the time to answer questions posted and for posting their own personal experiences!

Have also met some really great people through the meet and greet.

When my wife informed me that she had booked us on our second cruise for our 5 year anniversary I had mixed feelings. She had booked the cruise several weeks earlier and was going to tell me on our anniversary but in between booking and our anniversary she lost her job. We decided to do whatever we had to to make this cruse as wonderful as our first. We had gone on our first cruise with out having any idea what to expect. This time I decided to look online for a site that we could get information and possibly meet people who will be on our ship. As soon as I found this site I joined up and posted in our role call as fast as I could. Since then I have been reading the hall board almost every day.

After checking when I 'actually joined' I guess I lurked a long time when I was still slogging at the job for 28 hours a day. I finally joined before my last Cruise -- and then started posting. I found out wonderful things -- like upsells -- which I took, and then passed the info to others who hadn't been contacted. Discovered things I needed to get fixed by contacting the Mariners Society -- luggage tags for one.

I try to avoid getting into the various 'hot topics'.

I also know from being a manager of many people, the majority of the people who complain are in the minority - as a former VP once said (since discredited for his own sins) it's a 'Silent Majority'

I "lurked" for a couple of years before joining up just last week. What made me finally join was that Joannie was hosting a M&G on our upcoming cruise and it sounded like fun. My DH can't believe how much time I spend "lurking", but he's happy when we get to a port and I've got everything planned!!

Hey Jane, I take it I can say I bring out the lurkers?:D:D:D

Glad to do it to:) Had one as a table mate in February on Westerdam, got to talking and he joined CC shortly after we got back:D

Joanie

Discovered CC in 2006, just before our first cruise on the Volendam, and ever since read the HAL board most days. As new cruisers we have learned a great deal from this site...... one soon learns which posters are credible. A sincere thank you to these good folk.

We booked two consecutive cruises on the Volendam this year so decided to join CC and meet others through the roll calls. Should have joined in 2006.!!

Ok - you brought this lurker out to make a comment.

I joined CC last year about this time. My PCC at HAL suggested I "look into" CC when I guess I was asking too many questions. She said everything I need or want to know I would find out here, and she was right.

This site has taught me so much.

I made a post right away and also started a tread asking what happened to the trays in the lido. Had no idea what a hot topic that was, :confused: and even got sucked into making a few comments about the dreaded smoking topic. :eek: Then decided to back off the comments and just read and learn.

I am tempted to comment when I actually know the answer to someone's question, but usually am satisfied with just sitting back and reading what everyone else has to say.

After a year of reading it feels like I really know some of you.

Ok

I am tempted to comment when I actually know the answer to someone's question, but usually am satisfied with just sitting back and reading what everyone else has to say.

After a year of reading it feels like I really know some of you.

Hi Janet

Please jump in whever you wish.:) Everyone's input has value.It does smart when you get zinged (been there:D) but I try not to let it interfere with my CC enjoyment.

Regards Colleen

I agree after awhile it does feel like you know many of the regular posters well.

i found it in September of 2000 and joined right away and put a post on the first day, just to see if it would work--it did--and I have been putting posts on ever since. I think I have put on more posts in the last year than in the first four year combined.

We lurked for about a year after discovering CC before we joined. (DH has his own account.) We had only been on two HAL cruises, and felt that we had little to contribute. When we had questions that we couldn't find answers to, we e-mailed somebody that had posted their address on a related question thread.

Archived