RCI's Role in the Meet & Mingle Disappointing!

dongordon

Just completed the November 7th cruise on the Explorer of the Seas last week.

The Meet and Mingle meeting our group had was very disappointing (our group was fantastic), but the meeting was a dud.

We were well over 100, yet RCI did not indicate by the lack of major cruise officials present that we were an important group to meet with.

On NCL and Celebrity Roll Call Meetings on their ships, the meeting was attended by the Cruise Director, Captain or 2nd Officer, Food and Beverage Managers and other important officials of the ship.

They answered questions and each gave us their business card to contact them if we incurred any issues or requested any special requests (restaurant reservations, birthdays, etc.) during our cruise.

RCI provided the normal spread of beverages and eats and a few nominal cruise prizes and kind of rushed us out for the next scheduled event in the Maraghi Lounge.

Perhaps I have been spoiled by the interest shown to CC members on other cruise lines at these meetings, but in my opinion, RCI "missed the boat!"

The Meet and Mingle meeting our group had was very disappointing (our group was fantastic), but the meeting was a dud.

We were well over 100, yet RCI did not indicate by the lack of major cruise officials present that we were an important group to meet with.

On NCL and Celebrity Roll Call Meetings on their ships, the meeting was attended by the Cruise Director, Captain or 2nd Officer, Food and Beverage Managers and other important officials of the ship.

They answered questions and each gave us their business card to contact them if we incurred any issues or requested any special requests (restaurant reservations, birthdays, etc.) during our cruise.

RCI provided the normal spread of beverages and eats and a few nominal cruise prizes and kind of rushed us out for the next scheduled event in the Maraghi Lounge.

Perhaps I have been spoiled by the interest shown to CC members on other cruise lines at these meetings, but in my opinion, RCI "missed the boat!"

Don, it's just my opinion, but I believe that you are looking a gift horse in the mouth.

On very few cruises have we had someone from the upper ranks attend our Meet 'n' Mingle. The M'n'M's are supposed to be about you and your fellow passengers, not about flattering the passengers' egos with attention.

Again, just my opinion.

We pretty much experienced the same thing on the Mariner of the Seas a few weeks ago. I wasn't bothered so much by the fact that a junior member of the cruise director's staff made an appearance, but more by the attitude of, "Here is your hat and coat. What is your hurry?"

There were well over 50 of us in the Ellington Lounge. By the time the staff member was finished with his comments, he told us to feel free to continue to meet and mingle, but please be out of the room in 10-15 minutes as another group was on its way.

On my last 8 cruises on RCI or Celebrity we had the oppisite . We usally had the Cruise director and a lessor officer at all the meetings . On the Jewell Transalantic to Europe we met with the Cruise director and talked for about half an hr about what we thought of the ship and what improvements we thought they could do. He said they keep the info from these meetings and discuss it at their higher meetings. we than talked amongst ourselves about half an hr. . I ve had simular meetings on HAL but not as involved . Celebrity though had the better treats and giveaways . CARL

The EOS Nov 7 M&M was my first so I have nothing to compare it to, but we were impressed with the fact they did anything. Carnival doesn't. The thing I found myself thinking was please, no, I don't want free in room movies. We never sit and watch tv except for when we're getting ready to leave the cabin. I've seen where others have won free internet time at other M&M's. That's what I was hoping for, but I didnt' win anything. The fact is, they don't have to do anything, but at least a couple of the entertainment staff were there.

We have had a combination of Meet and Mingles. Some we've had the cruise director show or someone from his or her staff come and greet. We did have Captain Rob on the Grandeur show at one. Others we have attended felt as you did, kind of rushed and like the staff there drew the short straw and got stuck handling the Meet and Mingle. The range seems to be very broad as to who shows, how the staff perceives their part in it, and the response of the attendees. Your experience may have seemed to have been a "missed boat" experience per se, but really I think its just the way it is. Each ship seems to vary on this event. Hope everything else was great on your cruise.

I was on the same Mariner cruise as TIP, and I concur completely. The food was nice, and the assistant cruise director (Ricky Ricardo) was entertaining. But we were shocked to hear him announce that we only had 10 more minutes in Ellington's (20 minutes into the party) before another group was coming in. We had over 75 people signed up for the M&M, and we had a pirate gift exchange planned -- with very little time to do it. Don't mean to look a gift horse in the mouth, but RC could have planned this one better, IMHO! :rolleyes:

Best M&M we had was one that was "unofficial". No games, no key rings given out, no drinks, no noshes. We fell below the 25 required so we planned our own M&M and had a blast meeting everyone we had "met" on our roll call. I agree with Carol (MerionMom). It isn't who comes to the M&M from RCI, it's about meeting fellow cruisers.

We had a great M&M on the Liberty in Nov., with the Asst. CD there.

The majority of our cruises, have had RCL people there to thank us etc.

Oasis had an interview time, where the RCL rep went around to people seated, with a microphone, to talk about their RCL cruise experiences......

Captain Bang came to both of our M&M on the NOS. :)

It is for the CC people to meet each other but it is nice when RCL welcomes us as well.:)

I was on the same Mariner cruise as TIP, and I concur completely. The food was nice, and the assistant cruise director (Ricky Ricardo) was entertaining. But we were shocked to hear him announce that we only had 10 more minutes in Ellington's (20 minutes into the party) before another group was coming in. We had over 75 people signed up for the M&M, and we had a pirate gift exchange planned -- with very little time to do it. Don't mean to look a gift horse in the mouth, but RC could have planned this one better, IMHO! :rolleyes:

It's funny that you should mention Ricky Ricardo. I found him rather plastic and superficial.

And on my last M 'n' M, I finally won something, after attending countless such meetings. What was it? A small plastic box of Royal Caribbean thumb tacks, paper clips and rubber bands!!!!

Was I upset, put out or insulted?

NO! I think that it's hilarious.

And it wasn't the Cruise Director who officiated or appeared - it was an adorable, personable member of his staff.

Life is what you make of it.

I choose to make "good times" - like BONNIE!!!!! :D

Don, it's just my opinion, but I believe that you are looking a gift horse in the mouth.

On very few cruises have we had someone from the upper ranks attend our Meet 'n' Mingle. The M'n'M's are supposed to be about you and your fellow passengers, not about flattering the passengers' egos with attention.

Again, just my opinion.

I agree with you. That's why they have diamond and platinum parties so passengers can ask questions and feel important.

That's why they have diamond and platinum parties so passengers can ask questions and feel important.

I'm asking sincerely because this medium can be hard to decipher sometimes, but was this a sarcastic or serious comment? :)

OP, sorry you were disappointed. I think we've given up on M&M's - they just aren't important to us anymore. One we attended was hosted by the Assistant CD and another staff member, and all they did was talk about the new Genesis class of ship coming out (years ago, before Oasis). I just found it to be a big sales pitch, very off-putting. Oh well.

Certainly, M&Ms aint wot they used to be!!

As a PR person, I think its a lost opportunity!! If you have a group of committed cruisers, welcome them in every possible way!!

Capts Bang and Sullivan have always attended and their short speeches have been very well received - everyone flattered that the Captain turned up!! Seems the 'older' Captains are the ones that value groups.

One snotty Captain, we were told by a member of staff, only turns up for groups of 100 or more!! Just like many younger Captains don't do 'Captains Table' any longer. Well, few if any Captains actually enjoy it, but it was and should be, part of the job - barring emergencies etc. IMHO of course. A bit of tradition never hurts on cruises.

We have attended many M&Ms and the outstanding one was on the Jewel - hosted by CD Karen - who had been reading CruiseCritic. She even organised large gifts from the shops, beautifully presented, for the raffle. I was unsuccessful unfortunately. My degree wasn't in raffles, so I never win:mad::mad:

I choose to make "good times" - like BONNIE!!!!! :D

And what good times you make !!!!!!! :D:D

I would be very happy to have our M&M as planned, have whatever noshes (love, love, noshes) RCI gives us, have ONE RCI staff member welcome us and then let US have our party. If there is a time limit, it should be noted on the invitation. But hey, that's just me.

I hope this post makes sense. It's not yet 5:30am, I'm COLD, heat has to kick in, and I HAVE TO GO TO WORK :mad:

Certainly, M&Ms aint wot they used to be!!

As a PR person, I think its a lost opportunity!! If you have a group of committed cruisers, welcome them in every possible way!!

Bingo! I lost count of how many friends and relatives started crusing after hearing my excitement after every cruise I take (may be to just shut me up? :D:D:D.

I'm sure that the word of mouth from loyal crusers brought thousands new cruisers to RCL. It must be better PR that current "Nation of WhyNot" advertising nonsence that they use now.

So to ignore M&M is a lost PR opprtunity for the cost of a few key chains IMO.

As the original poster, I was suprised and "disappointed" in RCI's role in the M&M simply because they have an "official" sign up on the CC Boards unlike any other cruise line.

Because of this, I thought they would value the experience of meeting CC members who for the most part are serious cruise people who truley value their cruise experience.

IMO, NCL does a much better job of making "roll call" people feel welcome and they seem genuinely concerned about our experiences on their ships. That was my point.

If you were on an NCL ship and attended a roll call meeting, you would understand why I feel this way. I was just making a comparison and expected more from RCI because of their "official sign-up" on these boards.

I still enjoyed my cruising experience, but simply would have liked to see more involvement and concern by RCI for our cruising experience because of the value they place on signing up for the M & M on their ships. Evidently, the RCI "higher ups" placed the M & M sign-up on the CC boards because they thought it was a good PR move or were genuinely concerned about our experiences on their ships. IMO, I did not think that message was translated down to the Explorer of the Seas people on my cruise.

Does RCI make any money off of the meet and mingles?

No?

Hm. There's your answer.

I've never attended one. And now that I know it's just a way for cruisers to gather and demand free chiatzkis I'm certain I never will. I might go to those ones being organized by the folks saying they "make their own fun" and "ours was unofficial." Those sound like a hoot. But in general they sound stuffy and pretentious.

Does RCI make any money off of the meet and mingles?

No?

Hm. There's your answer.

I've never attended one. And now that I know it's just a way for cruisers to gather and demand free chiatzkis I'm certain I never will. I might go to those ones being organized by the folks saying they "make their own fun" and "ours was unofficial." Those sound like a hoot. But in general they sound stuffy and pretentious.

I believe you missed the point of the roll call (M & M) meeting. Our group used the meeting to organize our events we planned on the cruise (e.g slot pull, cabin crawl, gift exchange, etc.), but on NCL it also gave us a chance to discuss with the ship's officials some of our questions or concerns about the ship or cruise line policies and since they have freestyle dining, the dining director helped set up special reservations for some of the group that wanted to meet and dine together a few times during the cruise.

There was no expectation for "free chiatzkis" nor was anyone interested in them.

No-one is demanding anything!! But you are in a minority thinking that really nice gifts are something to be sniffed at:D:D Anyway, winning a raffle is fun, even if its only a keyring:eek: But obviously not for you - each to his own.

Its great to meet people - and the 'raffles' are a great way for a group to inter-react. But as an ex-PR gal, I do know the value of things like this - cost nothing and the goodwill is worth a great deal. Just like this site - what a great way to do market research - and I believe that RCI started it?

However, its the staff onboard who are failing - the Group Co-ordinator is usually some young thing who would prefer to be elsewhere!! They see no value in these meet-ups - but the marketing bods on terra firma, do:D

Obviously, its a personal thing. But I have attended many of these meetings and we have fun putting faces to names - people we have been 'conversing' with on here. Its no coincidence that most of those turning up are those who have been most active on the thread. And as the previous poster said, great way of organising the tours, exchanging real names and cabin numbers for private activities etc.

We have just as much fun on our Sailaway meetings!! But its nice to have a dedicated room or space, with the ability to have some fun at the same time and meet our fellow posters.

Our Meet & Mingle in October on the Serenade of the Seas was Great! Nobody in our group was looking for anything special from the cruise line. They had the traditional raffle, gave everyone the traditional gift. Our Cruise Director was there and he spoke made a few jokes and we were able to ask him question. Aftewards we did a gift exchange and chatted for a while before it broke up and everyone went their own ways, and we never was felt like we were rushed to get out. It was a good way to put faces with the names we had been seeing in our roll call on here. Most from our roll call had already met before the Meet & Mingle as we did a Meet & Greet in San Juan the day before embarkation and a Meet & Greet to meet those who flew in the day of the cruise on Emabarkation day at the Sky Bar! We had a good group of people!

Our Meet & Mingle in October on the Serenade of the Seas was Great! (...) Our Cruise Director was there and he spoke made a few jokes and we were able to ask him question. Aftewards we did a gift exchange and chatted for a while before it broke up and everyone went their own ways (...) !

That sounds like fun. I'd totally be in to that.

As the original poster, I was suprised and "disappointed" in RCI's role in the M&M simply because they have an "official" sign up on the CC Boards unlike any other cruise line.

Because of this, I thought they would value the experience of meeting CC members who for the most part are serious cruise people who truley value their cruise experience.

IMO, NCL does a much better job of making "roll call" people feel welcome and they seem genuinely concerned about our experiences on their ships. That was my point.

If you were on an NCL ship and attended a roll call meeting, you would understand why I feel this way. I was just making a comparison and expected more from RCI because of their "official sign-up" on these boards.

I still enjoyed my cruising experience, but simply would have liked to see more involvement and concern by RCI for our cruising experience because of the value they place on signing up for the M & M on their ships. Evidently, the RCI "higher ups" placed the M & M sign-up on the CC boards because they thought it was a good PR move or were genuinely concerned about our experiences on their ships. IMO, I did not think that message was translated down to the Explorer of the Seas people on my cruise.

I totally agree with you.

As someone who has experienced the M&M on both NCL and RCCL, NCL wins hands down and not because of free anything. They made us and our opinions feel important. :D

On Explorer last February, I felt we were a nuisance and they threw some crumbs and juice at us.:(

That being said, I still prefer RCCL for a total cruise experience..HANDS DOWN !!:D

It does seem that they have cut back some on the MM's. However most other cruise lines won't even do it unless you ask. I go to meet the people I have been chatting with and not to meet the people from the ship. I do agree that they should have someone there through the meeting to field questions.

I guess I dont even see CC as being a very important group to meet with .. and you said the CD and others were there.

Go on Carnival and walk into a empty room and they think they have been good to you, to provide a empty room....no water to drink, no nothing. CD rarely shows up for roll calls, always busy .. I think RCL is head and tails better in this regard.

My Princess roll call too fizzled .. no one from princess offered help

I totally agree with you.

As someone who has experienced the M&M on both NCL and RCCL, NCL wins hands down and not because of free anything. They made us and our opinions feel important. :D

On Explorer last February, I felt we were a nuisance and they threw some crumbs and juice at us.:(

That being said, I still prefer RCCL for a total cruise experience..HANDS DOWN !!:D

That's the thing about cruise lines, no one line is going to be the best at everything. You need to decide what things are most important to you and base your cruising decisions on how the lines do at those things. Personally, M&M would be way way down on my list.

Archived