Empty mouthwash bottles at Airport security

I would like to "smuggle" some rum to drink into our room on the cruise using an empty mouthwash bottle. Since we are coming from Canada, we need to go through US customs before the cruise, when we reach Florida. When they check our luggage, won't an empty container look "suspicious"? I wasn't going to fill until we reach Florida. If I leave mouthwash in it I won't be able to get the mouthwash smell/taste out. Any suggestions?

I can't imagine that US customs or immigration would have any concerns with an empty mouthwash bottle.

That said, I'm not sure that an empty mouthwash bottle provides enough "camouflage" to justify the effort of cleaning one out.

I don't think you're going to get the mouthwash taste out of it no matter what you do.

Agreed.

OP, enjoy your "Listerine-tini" 's. :rolleyes: My step-grandmother once gave me some homemade vanilla she had gone to the trouble of making - she put it in a plastic nail polish remover bottle. I don't know what she was thinking. I don't know what you're thinking, either.

I would like to "smuggle" some rum to drink into our room on the cruise using an empty mouthwash bottle. Since we are coming from Canada, we need to go through US customs before the cruise, when we reach Florida. When they check our luggage, won't an empty container look "suspicious"? I wasn't going to fill until we reach Florida. If I leave mouthwash in it I won't be able to get the mouthwash smell/taste out. Any suggestions?
You won't have a problem with US customs. BTW, how are you going to get the mouthwash taste out at home??:confused:

IDK, my FIL has done this in the past and never complained about listerine flavored rum and cokes. But then he might not even notice...

I would try Rum Runners (do a search if you haven't heard of them) before the mouthwash bottle. We have them and find them very easy to use.

Just buy a bottle of rum, put it in your locked, checked bags and be done with it. If they do find it, and it's in the original bottle, they'll keep it until the last night. If they find it in a mouthwash bottle (and they know how to tell the difference!), they'll throw it out.

Seriously, listen to those that say forget mouthwash bottles, you cannot get the taste out of it, no matter what type of liquor you are trying to smuggle onboard. Again, listen to those that know, I too am a big fan of runrummers and someone even gave you the discount code. My whole family uses them with no problemo. And BTW, before I was in the know, I was crusing out of Long Beach and had just returned that afternoon from a wonderful California wine tour with three "expensive" bottles of wine in my luggage. One I intended to bring back home with me. They were not only confiscated but when I turned them over they would NOT be returned, EVER. This was two years ago before RCI started cracking down. I was always able to bring a bottle or two on board. I think usually they are returned the last night. But if you break their rules, they can actually kick you off so I took my lumps. As I said, I know better now. I'm a diamond now, so although I enjoy a glass on the balcony, I'll behave and enjoy the diamond cocktail event.

My ex-wife used a mouthwash bottle to smuggle rum onboard. Two problems:

1. We hardly ever remembered it was there and bought stuff at the bar.

2. As mentioned, you never quite get the taste out of the bottle. That was the nastiest Captain Morgan I've ever had.

So, even though we succeeded in getting it on board, it was a total waste of time and money.

I agree with the other posters who recommended the rum runners. They work GREAT!!! You can order them online at www.rumrunnerflasks.com

I think all those using Rum Runners should order Rum Runner T Shirts and wear them to embark on your cruise since you are all so proud of being smugglers. I think it will only take a couple of instances of people being kicked off the ship at the embarkation port to put a stop to it - if that is what RCI really wants. When you get kicked off for violating rules there is no compensation and insurance does not cover it. FYI I think they should allow each person to bring 1 bottle of wine and pre-order a bottle of liquor for your cabin like most of the other cruise lines do. As for me I will be at the bar.

Just an FYI - I was stopped getting back on the ship in Cozumel because they saw a water bottle in my beach bag. By the way - the water bottle was empty.

M

The Mexican guys checking ID's so you could get through the gate in Cozumel made my DH throw out his half used water bottle before going through the gate in August. He was ticked because it was one of those little 1/2 pt bottles that he brought from home and refilled in the Windjammer with ice water before debarking in each port. He had no problem on our January or May cruises at the same spot. Guess it depends on who is doing the checking.

I think all those using Rum Runners should order Rum Runner T Shirts and wear them to embark on your cruise since you are all so proud of being smugglers. I think it will only take a couple of instances of people being kicked off the ship at the embarkation port to put a stop to it - if that is what RCI really wants. When you get kicked off for violating rules there is no compensation and insurance does not cover it. FYI I think they should allow each person to bring 1 bottle of wine and pre-order a bottle of liquor for your cabin like most of the other cruise lines do. As for me I will be at the bar.

We'll be just happy to get the shirts. Meanwhile, you can get the one that says "Everyone has to do what I do because I am perfect". The OP asked for advice...not a lecture. Just saying...

The Mexican guys checking ID's so you could get through the gate in Cozumel made my DH throw out his half used water bottle before going through the gate in August. He was ticked because it was one of those little 1/2 pt bottles that he brought from home and refilled in the Windjammer with ice water before debarking in each port. He had no problem on our January or May cruises at the same spot. Guess it depends on who is doing the checking.

FYI... there are signs specifically stating NOT to fill personal water bottles from the dispensers in the Windjammer. Against health and sanitation rules. Just an FYI.

FYI... there are signs specifically stating NOT to fill personal water bottles from the dispensers in the Windjammer. Against health and sanitation rules. Just an FYI.

He got the water in a glass at the Windjammer and poured it in from there. NO he did not stick a dirty bottle under the tap - unlike some passengers who seem forget to get a new glass each time.

Archived