We got copper medallions!!!

FoxyTerrier

I knew we were close to the 100 day mark and would go over 100 days on our Christmas cruise.

Before sailing I had heard the medallion program was being done away with so I wasn't sure if we would ever get them. One day in our Tree Mail (Survivor reference for mail) we received an invitation for a Mariner reception to be followed by a Mariner brunch. We had never been invited to a Mariner reception before and mom and DS only got invited to the brunch so I was hopeful we were going to get our copper medallions. The day before the brunch someone called to verify our days and to ask if we had already received medallions. I confirmed we had 93 days prior to this cruise and would reach 100 on this cruise and she said we would be getting medallions.

I spent an hour or so primping for the big event and was so very excited. While on the way to the reception I reread the invitation it said it started at 10:30 and I thought it was 11:30 so we missed it. We did make it to the brunch.

Afterwards I went to the Neptune and let them know I had the time wrong but they would make sure we got the medallions. The entire rest of the day I waited and waited but no medallions. So after dinner in the PG we went back to the room and still nothing. By now the NL was closed and we had to finish packing. I told DH I was going to the front desk to see if they could help. They were so very nice and presented me with 2 copper medallions. When we got home and unpacked I was shocked to see 4 copper medallions. I still don't know when they showed up. My only guess is they got delivered when mom was in the room and she didn't know what they were and never said anything. Mom and DS are now close to the 100 days so I'll save the extra set for them.

Foxy Terrier,

Thank you for your posting.

Congratulations on receiving your copper medallions.

Are you at 100 days or over?

We were at 93 before starting the cruise on 12/23. So if you add 7 to that it brings us to 100. But since we had an SA room we get another 7 bringing us to 107. Plus you get something for the amount you spend on board but I don't know the calculation for that, but a few more days will be added for that.

erewhon - are you close to 100?

Foxy Terrier,

Thank you for your reply.

Was not sure if your cruise was for 7 days or more.

My understanding is that the medallions are awarded for actual days sailed not the extra days for the suite and on board spending.

We reached over 100 days on our recent cruise, but no sign of medallions. I have since read on this site of another cruiser obtaining their medallions by asking the conceirge. I should have asked our conceirge while on board.

My understanding is that the medallions are awarded for actual days sailed not the extra days for the suite and on board spending.
We got ours on the cruise that took us from 89 actual days to 101 ... so I can't tell you if it's on actual days or "credits".
Sorry that you missed the awards cocktail party to receive them.
We got just a glass of wine and some nibbles.

Joni, I am so excited that they did this but feel so bad that you missed the special reception :(

You were on the Noordam right? I am glad to hear that some of the ships are doing this and sure wish they would all go to doing this again.

Congratulations in getting you Copper Medallions.

What is the big deal with a cheap copper medal when HAL is really cheap about their long term cruiser program? With the medallion and 95 cents, you can get a 95 cent candy bar.

As far as I am concerned, they can keep their medal and give me more benefits.

DON

How sad that our world has become all about the extrinsic rather than the intrinsic rewards in life.

Medallions are intrinsic rewards, the four star mariner program is extrinsic.

Though I certainly appreciate and enjoy the extrinsic rewards (let's hear it for free laundry) I find the intrinsic rewards that life brings us are definitely more meaningful and they last forever.

How sad that our world has become all about the extrinsic rather than the intrinsic rewards in life.

Medallions are intrinsic rewards, the four star mariner program is extrinsic.

Though I certainly appreciate and enjoy the extrinsic rewards (let's hear it for free laundry) I find the intrinsic rewards that life brings us are definitely more meaningful and they last forever.

Sorry to respectfully disagree with you, but I suggest that the four star mariner program is intrinsic to HAL and thus to its pax. This is part of their long-term strategy, right or wrong, that will affect everyone's cruises, price-wise and otherwise. So, it is what it is and we should embrace it and take advantage of the values it does provide and the medallions are merely a token of that intrinsic strategy.

harry

Joni, I am so excited that they did this but feel so bad that you missed the special reception :(

You were on the Noordam right? I am glad to hear that some of the ships are doing this and sure wish they would all go to doing this again.

Congratulations in getting you Copper Medallions.

On our recent Nieuw Amsterdam cruise all those already holding medals or who would be getting one were invited to the Queen's Lounge at 11 AM for champagne. First we were shown a very quick clip of the Nieuw Amsterdam being built and her inaugural -- lasted about 5 minutes. Then the captain and hotel manager gave out medals. About 20 people got their medals for sailing over 100 days on HAL -- including one boy about 8 years old. There was also a couple who got their 300 day medals. This was the first time in 2 years that they actually named the people and the number of days that they had. And some of us with the most days were called up to have our picture taken with the captain and hotel manager -- and we also got a copy of our picture. It's been a long time since we have gotten a picture taken with the captain let alone get a copy. I have read here on CC where some people are constantly getting their pictures taken and getting the copies.

After the awards we all then went to the dining room. There were tables reserved for the medal holders -- no specific assigned tables. I did notice that 4 tables had a napkin over one chair reserving that chair for a host. No hosts ever showed up at any of the tables. The usual Santa Carolina champagne was served. At each of the places at the table was our tile -- and we got the inaugural tiles. There were over 900 Mariners on this cruise -- so second brunch was held on the last sea day.

My understanding of the medallions is that they count the days the "old" way - not double days for suites. Maybe KK can clarify?

The OP obviously had enough days to qualify.

According to HAL's site -- it is actual days to get to the various medal levels.

From the F&Q on HAL:

Will I still receive medallions and pins as I have in the past?

Existing lapel pins will be replaced with brand new lapel pins for 2-Star, 3-Star and 4-Star Mariners. After qualifying for a new level, you will receive your new pin in the mail. In addition, we will continue to recognize our most loyal Mariners through the awarding of a special medallion; a Bronze Medallion for guests sailing with us for a total of 100 days, a Silver Medallion for guests sailing with us for a total of 300 days, a Gold Medallion for guests achieving 500 days, and our highest level Platinum Medallion for those guests who have joined us for 700 or more days. Medallion status is calculated using Cruise Days only; Suite Bonus and Onboard Spending Bonus do not apply toward Medallion status.

Congratulations, Joni, on the Copper Medallions. I find it exciting to know HAL is starting to do these receptions and award ceremonies again, and thank you for sharing your experience.

I know some here think the medallions are no big deal, but to me they are. I'll probably not get over falling through the cracks for my own Copper ... but will hold out hope of some kind of recognition when I reach Silver.

On our recent Nieuw Amsterdam cruise all those already holding medals or who would be getting one were invited to the Queen's Lounge at 11 AM for champagne. First we were shown a very quick clip of the Nieuw Amsterdam being built and her inaugural -- lasted about 5 minutes. Then the captain and hotel manager gave out medals. About 20 people got their medals for sailing over 100 days on HAL -- including one boy about 8 years old. There was also a couple who got their 300 day medals. This was the first time in 2 years that they actually named the people and the number of days that they had. And some of us with the most days were called up to have our picture taken with the captain and hotel manager -- and we also got a copy of our picture. It's been a long time since we have gotten a picture taken with the captain let alone get a copy. I have read here on CC where some people are constantly getting their pictures taken and getting the copies.

After the awards we all then went to the dining room. There were tables reserved for the medal holders -- no specific assigned tables. I did notice that 4 tables had a napkin over one chair reserving that chair for a host. No hosts ever showed up at any of the tables. The usual Santa Carolina champagne was served. At each of the places at the table was our tile -- and we got the inaugural tiles. There were over 900 Mariners on this cruise -- so second brunch was held on the last sea day.

KK, I am so glad to hear this. That is exactly how it was done when we were on the Eurodam 2 years ago. If I am not mistaken Jonathan Mercer was your Captain and will also be when we sail on the Nieuw Amsterdam in March.

What is the big deal with a cheap copper medal when HAL is really cheap about their long term cruiser program? With the medallion and 95 cents, you can get a 95 cent candy bar.

As far as I am concerned, they can keep their medal and give me more benefits.

DON

Geez Don, the HA fans are not going to be happy with your post. But, as confirmed HA lovers we will give you some moral support and totally agree with your comments. We would compare HA long term benefits to what we recently experienced on Celebrity. Every morning we had a special continental breakfast in a private lounge (Elite only) where they had a nice Continental Breakfast spread and gave us free coffee specialty drinks, champagne, bloody marys, mimosas, etc. Every evening we had a 2 hour cocktail hour (again free) with a pretty decent selection of free drinks plus hors d'oeuvres (hot and cold) served by gloved waiters. We are looking forward to our next HA cruise where we will get a free "medallion" and a small discount off wine packages. Oh, and of course we will have the usual luncheon which replaces the regular luncheon (another big deal). Yes, we do love HA and will continue to cruise this line, but it sure is not because of the frequent cruiser amenities.

Hank

<snip>

Yes, we do love HA and will continue to cruise this line, but it sure is not because of the frequent cruiser amenities.

Hank

There 'ya go. :) (my underline)

What else do they need to hear?

You (and we) and many like us will continue to sail HAL despite the fact they do not have the best repeat guest program.

KK, I am so glad to hear this. That is exactly how it was done when we were on the Eurodam 2 years ago. If I am not mistaken Jonathan Mercer was your Captain and will also be when we sail on the Nieuw Amsterdam in March.

Yes -- Jonathon Mercer was our captain -- so there shouldn't be any changes in the awards and cocktail party.

He is one of the few captains that still gives out the medals as they should be.

Congratulations Joni. It was a very big deal for us when we got ours and I am glad others can share this fun still.

I am hoping that they are still giving them out next year when we should reach gold.

I know what you mean -- we really enjoyed the medal presentations when we got ours -- before all this new "star" stuff came into place. Then the medal presentations seemed to disappear from some of our cruises -- have no idea if some people were entitled to a medal or not.

Sure hope there is a nice ceremony for your medal awards.

Captain Henk Draper on Maasdam runs a wonderful Mariners pre-lunch reception and presents Medallions in the traditional way. He always makes some remarks and has all Medallion Holders and Awardees up for a photo. Those photos are always delivered to our cabin.

Captain Henk Draper on Maasdam runs a wonderful Mariners pre-lunch reception and presents Medallions in the traditional way. He always makes some remarks and has all Medallion Holders and Awardees up for a photo. Those photos are always delivered to our cabin.

Not everyone that has a medal sails on the Maasdam.

Sail on some other ships like the Zuiderdam -- nothing!! Like the Ryndam -- nothing!! Just a cocktail party -- no officers there -- just a glass of champagne and then off you go to the dining room for your brunch.

What I describe happened very similar on all of our cruises in about the last 12 months on Maasdam, Eurodam and Westerdam.

We were seated at hosted tables for lunch on some of those cruises though not all had hosted tables. Our three Eurodam cruises did as well as Westerdam but not Maasdam.

What about Nieuw Amsterdam? Did you have a pre-brunch reception in Queen's Lounge?

Archived