How are the desserts on the Freedom of the Seas

NMG318

Just finished a cruise on Carnival Pride and was very disappointed in the desserts they offered. Overall the food I would rate at 4.0 but the desserts I would rate at 2.5 (except the warm melting chocolate cake which I would rate at 5+) For instance, the chocolates weren't very chocolaty (except the warm melting chocolate cake) and the creams (like on the top of the carrot cake) were nasty tasting. I'm pretty sure they were made from some aritificial, non dairy substance that if you left it on the sidewalk in the summer and came back the next day it would still have the same shape, texture and taste.

We will be cruising on the Freedom this summer and was wondering how the desserts compared. Should I prepare myself now for the dissappointment or should I not worry about it? The summer before last we were on the Navigator and were very pleased with the desserts.

Just finished a cruise on Carnival Pride and was very disappointed in the desserts they offered. Overall the food I would rate at 4.0 but the desserts I would rate at 2.5 (except the warm melting chocolate cake which I would rate at 5+) For instance, the chocolates weren't very chocolaty (except the warm melting chocolate cake) and the creams (like on the top of the carrot cake) were nasty tasting. I'm pretty sure they were made from some aritificial, non dairy substance that if you left it on the sidewalk in the summer and came back the next day it would still have the same shape, texture and taste.

We will be cruising on the Freedom this summer and was wondering how the desserts compared. Should I prepare myself now for the dissappointment or should I not worry about it? The summer before last we were on the Navigator and were very pleased with the desserts.

Of course it's all a matter of taste but don't have high expectations. Desserts have certainly declined over the years.

I think the desserts at the Cafe Promenade are actually better than those in the MDR. I usually get a double scoop of ice cream (the ice cream is really good) after dinner and then swing by the CP for a couple of coconut ranger cookies which are awsome.

I found the desserts varied by venue:

• Windjammer - desserts here are a big disappointment - while they look really good, they are (at least IMHO) lacking big-time in taste.
  • Chops - excellent
  • MDR - I liked most of these, especially the lighter, no sugar varieties - a nice light ending to a meal.
  • Cafe Promenade - cookies are yummie

For desert I almost always will stop into the WJ and get some blue cheese and swiss cheese, then stop by Vintages and get either a Late Harvest Riesling or a glass of Port.

Michael

PS The Cafe Promenade cookies are killer!!

For desert I almost always will stop into the WJ and get some blue cheese and swiss cheese, then stop by Vintages and get either a Late Harvest Riesling or a glass of Port.

Michael

PS The Cafe Promenade cookies are killer!!

So they have removed the cheese plate from the MDR then? :(

So they have removed the cheese plate from the MDR then? :(

Can't answer that, we have no first hand recent knowledge. Usually my wife and I will give up our MDR dining room table when we first board the ship, as we prefer to have a more "Impromptu" schedule whilst on board ... we'll eat either in the WJ or in the specialty restaurants.

Michael

The desserts aren't as varied or pleasingly presented as they used to be....sometimes, the WJ has better looking desserts than the dining room.

Don't forget...you can get icecream (the real stuff, not the soft-serve frozen yogurt) in the dining room every night!

I have to agree with most of the above. Overall the desserts on our 6 RCCL cruises have seemed only average at best, and that's on a good night. I can't think of one that stands out as memorable. They usually seem like a waste of calories and time. I too have switched to mostly ice cream in the main dining room.

Also agree the cookies on the promenade are good - especially the toffee ones:)

We were a family of 13 on the Freedom last week and our diverse group all found items that were pleasing or even excellent in the MDR. I suppose there were some duds for some individuals, but overall, everyone found something to their liking. The kids especially liked being able to order scoops of ice cream with whipped cream that tasted quite real. Our waiter often brought additional desserts to sample and all were happy. I recall especially a nice chocolate souffle, warm chocolate cake, apple pie (which my picky father declared perfect, to my surprise, having never had good pie on a ship), and various interesting sampler dishes.

In the Windjammer, I found some nice fruit tarts and cakes and many other usual treats, but I would especially recommend the bread pudding & vanilla sauce, which isn't technically dessert, but is offered 3-5PM during afternoon tea. Many other items also available. In Cafe Promenade, the cookies were all good, but there was some kind of gooey granola bar that was a pleasant surprise, as well as the usual brownies. Also, don't miss Freedom Fest in the Royal Promenade (on the last sea day on our cruise), which had many unique dessert samples, not available anywhere else.

I don't usually pay attention to comments suggesting how things have declined compared to prior years and just enjoy what is on offer, which I've usually not been disappointed by.

On your last evening, you must try the Key Lime Pie! We liked the sugar-free more than the regular...yes, we did a taste test. :D Unbelievably delicious. Also, the sherbet each night is lovely and is served with a little biscuit. Yum. The had a different one each night: orange, pineapple, lemon... mmm.

I personally feel the WJ desserts have improved over the years. For a while they seemed to be particularly fond of huge mousse sheet cakes and bowls of jello, but on our last few cruises I would say things have improved. We saw more tartes, flans, cakes, trifles, etc. Promenade Café is amazing for coffee and cookies - you will love it there. :)

And not to worry - if you don't care for a dessert, your waiter will bring you something else. It's never a problem. Enjoy your cruise.

The desserts in the MDR aren't that bad. I really enjoy their fat free desserts. The Cafe Promonade has some good desserts and the cookies are simply great!

Enjoy your cruise.:)

Ps. The cafe is open 24 hrs

We were on the Freedom for the Dec. 19 holiday cruise. We liked it so much we booked again for next Dec. 23. I would rate our overall expereince as excellent. If there was anything that was just "average to good" it was the desserts. The cookies in the windjammer were good, but everything else average. The MDR had some good selections, but tended to have three great options one evening and hen three poor selections the other. We opted to go to Ben and Jerry's a few times in lieu of dessert in the MDR. At the end of the day, this was really minimal. Everything else, from the boat, to the service to the food was so good that it did not matter. We were not anticipating liking the Freedom as much as we did, because we had last sailed on Disney. All 4 of us said hands down that the Freedom blew Disney away.

If you have a penchant for gelatin based desserts..you are all set.:(

Carnival Pride had a lot of these as well...they look good but very bland and certainly not worth the calories.

The good news I see here is that the Freedom's Cafe Promonade sounds much like what the Navigator had...we spent quite a bit of time there and enjoyed the desserts and sandwiches. Hopefully they haven't changed and gone cheap!

We went on the Legend and I thought the same thing. The desserts tasted like they had been in the fridge too long. None had much flavor and were just not good. The only dessert I ate was ice cream.

• 1 year later...

We are going on Freedom in a few weeks and I found this thread in the archive. OUr last two cruises have been on Carnival after a couple of Royal, and I was actually kinda bummed that I would not be getting the warm chocolate melting cake and bread pudding on this cruise. I'm a chocolate LOVER and a berry HATER so every time I saw a menu I saw most of the chocolate desserts included berry. Nice to see on this thread someone mentioned warm chocolate cake, and even bread pudding!

I think all the desserts on RC are all made in the European style with alot less sugar than Americans are accustomed to. I have a feeling they throw alot of desserts away. It was the same with the bread, so tough and chewy like in Europe.

Archived