Carnival to base vessel in Australia in 2012

woodscruise

maybe thied saw this email

Carnival Spirit the Largest Cruise Ship to Call Australia Home

In a major boost for the tourism industry, the world’s largest cruise line - Carnival Cruise Lines - has announced that it will base one of its cruise ships fulltime in Australia.

The 88,500 tonne Carnival Spirit will be the largest cruise ship ever to sail year round from Australia when she arrives in Sydney in October 2012 to operate a schedule of 8-12 day voyages to the Pacific Islands.

The move - announced globally in Sydney today - represents the first time Carnival Cruise Lines has ever ventured into Australian waters and reflects growing confidence in cruising in the region.

Carrying 2,667 passengers, Carnival Spirit will be the first ship to be based in Sydney year round that is too tall to sail under the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Rising nearly 53 metres above the waterline, Carnival Spirit is more than three metres taller than the specified clearance height for ships passing under the Bridge. Because of its height, Carnival Spirit will be based at the only cruise facility east of the Harbour Bridge, Circular Quay’s Overseas Passenger Terminal

carnival Spirit will be based in Sydney

TRUE Fact..

scource very reliable.......

Love Thied

It makes sense that the ship be based in Sydney, as they can supplement the filling of the ship with passengers from North America. It is just easier to fly to Sydney from Canada and the US, eg Vancouver to Sydney 14 hours direct flight.

It makes sense that the ship be based in Sydney, as they can supplement the filling of the ship with passengers from North America. It is just easier to fly to Sydney from Canada and the US, eg Vancouver to Sydney 14 hours direct flight.

yes I do agree that it maks sence to base her in Sydney as Sydney would be the main port in Australia and the main air port and it would be easyer to fill from Sydney.

What great news that we are actually getting a ship here from another company all year round, even though it is part of the Carnival group. We can actually try a cruise during the winter months.

I don't think they will have any trouble filling this one, as it will be heavily marketed to the North American market.

All we need now is for RCCI to base a ship here all year round, and we might start to see some good competition.

This is good news for Carnival Australia and for those of us looking for alternatives to Pacific Sun,Pacific Jewel,Pacific Dawn,Pacific Pearl and Superstar Virgo a welcome decision.

I have just booked on the Pacific Jewel for this Christmas by the way but will be looking for something else for my 35th Birthday the following year and if Carnival can offer a new experience for me I am all for it

This is good news for Carnival Australia and for those of us looking for alternatives to Pacific Sun,Pacific Jewel,Pacific Dawn,Pacific Pearl and Superstar Virgo a welcome decision.

I have just booked on the Pacific Jewel for this Christmas by the way but will be looking for something else for my 35th Birthday the following year and if Carnival can offer a new experience for me I am all for it

I do think that there would be a lot of people waiting to see what they will offer.

Interesting that they are keeping the Carnival badge and not cutting the wings off the funnel, painting it all white and calling it "Pacific Mullet" or something.

Also interesting in that IIRC Carnival (Aus) is an offshoot of Carnival (UK). Pacific Jewel is still registered in London, for instance.Wonder where that puts Carnival Spirit in the conglomerate.

I see in many industries where "competition" involves outlets with different names owned by the same company. Perhaps Carnival is trying to crowd out competition.

A terminal east of the bridge is another problem. Garden Island? Resume Rose Bay and turn Catalinas back into a terminal.:D:p

Botany bay may have merit but Southern Cross Dr and the M5 are choked already so how are you going to get passengers and supplies in and out?

In any case the more ships the better!

i received this email

Carnival Corporation has announced they are going to position Carnival Spirit in Australia full time from October next year! Spirit will be based out of Sydney year round, cruising the South Pacific and at 53 meters above the waterline, it will be too big to fit under the bridge. I actually went to the launch of Carnival Spirit and I'm happy to say, it's an amazing ship, at 88,500 - tonne and carrying 2667 passengers, will be the biggest and best ship ever based here by far! Onboard facilities include a corkscrew water slide, four pools, mini golf, 16 bars and lounges, a theatre, two-level day spa, main dining room, steakhouse and poolside dining. Approximately two-thirds of cabins have balconies – the most of any locally based ship. Spirit is also set to be “Australianised” in terms of the types of kids activities, entertainment and food and drink options, including the “menu lingo”.

Pricing on board will be in Australian dollars and no tipping required!

Keeping her in Carnival is sensible as she's not a good match for the rest of the P&O group. If she was made P&O and was the first people sailed on, they are likely to get a shock when they sail any of the current group; it's about keeping customer expectations consistent.

I wonder if it is a tired, old, worn-out ship like the "superliner" ships we have got for P&O (and hence Carnival) in the last few years. Sorry I know I am cynical but why would Carnival take a perfectly good ship and put it in Australia permanently?

Diane

I wonder if it is a tired, old, worn-out ship like the "superliner" ships we have got for P&O (and hence Carnival) in the last few years. Sorry I know I am cynical but why would Carnival take a perfectly good ship and put it in Australia permanently?

Diane

Because of their bottom line. They are redeploying her from a decreasing yield market in California (due to US economy) to a high yield market, in Australia, which is growing.

Diane

They will have to call these new ones "mega liners":D:D

I think its a great and logical move.

Princess have Diamond in Alaska that then travels through Russia and Asia to do the season down here.

Why cant Carnival , who also do Alaska, send a ship via Hawaii and Tahiti to do the season down here.

Makes sense.

Les, i noticed on a site Passenger Capacity is 2667 now, where did you get the other figure from

bob

rkmw..bob, the 2124 is the normal pax capacity without pulling down the upper berths in 4 berth cabins, using the upper berths makes it possible to carry max pax 2667, maybe more if additional berths are retrofitted to make 'friendly fours. and for sure in Oz it will carry that amount. Carnival is bringing the ship here to fill it up, as per the Regal Princess(Pac Dawn) Sun Princess and Dawn Princess. We must all realise now we in OZ get the ships that are too old for the U.S. market, Spirit was launched in 2001 I think.

I still have notes on my Carnival Spirit cruise in 2006, Hawaii/Alaska, we had 2000 on board. It is a nice ship with roomy cabins, largest cabins I have been on 185 sq ft. The spirit class vessels are good, Costa Atlantica is another spirit class.

This ship will be well received by us Aussies.

I think its a great and logical move.

Princess have Diamond in Alaska that then travels through Russia and Asia to do the season down here.

Why cant Carnival , who also do Alaska, send a ship via Hawaii and Tahiti to do the season down here.

Makes sense.

The difference being Carnival Spirit will be based here. If it as nice a ship as they say it is, it should attract a new market for winter cruising to the South Pacific islands.

It already has built up a loyal following from its Hawaii/Alaska Fire and Ice cruises, which were well marketed here.

Archived