New Pirate Ship Bar on HMC a TERRIBLE idea

michmike

I have been reading this thread, but never saw the pictures until I saw them on this photo essay of the Nieuw Amsterdam at Maritime Matters....

http://maritimematters.com/2011/02/whats-nieuw-pussycat-part-two/

I was shocked...Holland America what were you thinking...and right near our favourite purple cabana. I know I may sound like a snob, but it just looks so Carnivalesque. In my opinion, it would be nice if Half Moon Cay could return to the way it was circa 2005.

Cheers

I have been reading this thread, but never saw the pictures until I saw them on this photo essay of the Nieuw Amsterdam at Maritime Matters....

I was shocked...Holland America what were you thinking...and right near our favourite purple cabana. I know I may sound like a snob, but it just looks so Carnivalesque. In my opinion, it would be nice if Half Moon Cay could return to the way it was circa 2005.

Cheers

careful - or you'll be called a crotchety old crumdgeon :eek::eek: that's the whole point - Carnival uses this island too - as we have been told :rolleyes: we shouldn't judge til we get there. :p Probably some truth to that, but I know something that is out of place when I see it :)

Well I may be crotchety...and I may be older (46)...but in my opinion, I like a nice, quiet, relaxing beach day. I can get the loud, party atmosphere at Grand Turk, Orient, Coki, and numerous other beaches in the Caribbean.

If HAL wanted to build such an eyesore (in my opinion) they should have done so in the main beach area...away from the Cabanas. If nothing else, I hope HAL is selling those cabanas near the pirate bar at a discount.

Just my two cents...Cheers...

Cheers

Yes, you do sound like a snob.........glad you recognize it.

I will be at Half Moon Cay in March and will be interested in seeing this new addition that has caused so much discussion. After I see it I will be interested in seeing if this thread is still hanging around.

Have a great next cruise.

We just returned Tuesday from a cruise on the Zuiderdam last Tuesday and had a wonderful stay at Half Moon Cay. The music wasn't that loud, as you had to walk up to it to hear the HALcat band and singer.

I was expecting blaring music which wasn't the case. When I was near Cabana #5, the music could be heard in the background, but certainly wasn't loud. Whether it was this particular HALcat band, the sound wasn't an issue.

On good thing however, is if you go up to the third deck on the boat, you can get some marvelous pictures of the entire island.

Well, after reading this thread my suspicions are confirmed. A lot of HAL cruisers are a bunch of crotchety old curmudgeons!!!!!!!! Now I know why I don't cruise Hal or Princess.....what a bunch of geriatric whiners I have seen on this thread.

I am neither crotchety or old and certainly not a curmudgeon! I am however, proud to live in a country where everyone has the right to voice their own opinion. My grandfather, father, and husband all fought for this right, and viewing your picture seems you too are a military man. It is only a discussion thread and those who take offense to it can simply CLICK and it goes away! Ah....the beauty of electronics and the internet and the glory of free speech for all!:)

We just returned Tuesday from a cruise on the Zuiderdam last Tuesday and had a wonderful stay at Half Moon Cay. The music wasn't that loud, as you had to walk up to it to hear the HALcat band and singer.

I was expecting blaring music which wasn't the case. When I was near Cabana #5, the music could be heard in the background, but certainly wasn't loud. Whether it was this particular HALcat band, the sound wasn't an issue.

On good thing however, is if you go up to the third deck on the boat, you can get some marvelous pictures of the entire island.

Thanks very much for the info. If the noise is not too loud, this is very encouraging:):)

• 2 weeks later...
Quite so!

But by that time, I'm sure the island will be renamed "Carnival Cay"

:cool:

Whats with all the cutting down Carnival?? We cant help it if Hal is catered to the old folks in the world...lighten up, some of us happen to enjoy all different ships not just one brand!!

Well, after reading this thread my suspicions are confirmed. A lot of HAL cruisers are a bunch of crotchety old curmudgeons!!!!!!!! Now I know why I don't cruise Hal or Princess.....what a bunch of geriatric whiners I have seen on this thread.

Very well said!!! Seems many of them do nothing but complain!

I've been happy on both Carnival and HAL ships, just expect different things from each line. Tranquility is one of the things HAL does best. I'm far from retirement age (suspect I'm younger than you - looked up your service on USN's "cruise ships") But, guess I'm a geriatric whiner when it comes to a mandatory sound track (especially from the HAL Cats, who we <3 to bash on this board, because they're often so baa-a-a-d).

Did you know the HMC cabanas are $300 for HAL pax, plus about the same to add butler service? Are cabanas still $99 for Carnival pax? The $$ difference is part of the reason for the different expectations.

I'd expect music at the pirate bar when the Carnival ships are on HMC. I'm surprised HAL is doing it for their days on HMC.

the cabanas are 199.00 not 99 if someone wants to pay more for the same thing...they are free to do so....we dont care for going to bed a 7pm must be more your style!

Whats with all the cutting down Carnival?? We cant help it if Hal is catered to the old folks in the world...lighten up, some of us happen to enjoy all different ships not just one brand!!

So, you are obviously making the same generalities that you are accusing our boards of? Sure seems like it.

I suggest you take a look at this board. Most people are very well travelled, on many ships in the past and simply prefer HAL (most times).

A lot of us don't happen to like wet t shirt contests, belly flop contests or loud music that penetrates. And if you read the entire thread, you would see that we were encouraged that it wasn't that loud.

Each to their own - different strokes - but don't criticize people who like to enjoy the island for what it really is please. :):):)

OMG We were there in Dec. on the NewAmsterdam. I didn't go ashore this time but rest of family did and reported a ship bar being built near the beach. I don't think I will be going ashore ever again at HMC, tho I loved walking the beach and paths.

Feb 12 while on the NA we went to HMC. The weather was very overcast, but decided to go anyway. We had to use the tender as another DAM ship was there. We got out clamshell and decided to walk on the beach. There was no loud music coming from the "pirate" bar. It does not obstruct the beach at all.

Overall it was just as relaxing as ever.

So, you are obviously making the same generalities that you are accusing our boards of? Sure seems like it.

I suggest you take a look at this board. Most people are very well travelled, on many ships in the past and simply prefer HAL (most times).

A lot of us don't happen to like wet t shirt contests, belly flop contests or loud music that penetrates. And if you read the entire thread, you would see that we were encouraged that it wasn't that loud.

Each to their own - different strokes - but don't criticize people who like to enjoy the island for what it really is please. :):):)

I second that, a beautiful peaceful beach does not need a "Pirate Bar" to destroy the tranquillity.

If Carnival passengers want music, bars, & such, they have a ship full of that sort of fun to enjoy. We want our "fun" also, which happens to be quiet, and the enjoyment of nature.

That is not being snobbish, or crotchety or even old. It is just a bit different.

I have been following this thread for some time now and will be in Half Moon Cay on March 5th to see the Pirate Bar for myself and will report back with my feelings (opinions) when my cruise finishes. By the way I will be turning 65 while on this cruise so I'm not a kid but I also do not consider myself an old fuddy duddy.

Have a great next cruise and talk at you all later.

Archived