Istanbul Hotels

dog1

We are staying in Istanbul for three nights pre cruise. We are considering staying at the Conrad. It is some distance from the Conrad to most of the tourist sites in Sultanahmet. How long will it take by taxi to get between these two areas and what will the fare be? Is there something magic about staying in Sultanahmet that would make staying outside that area a mistake? We have never been to Istanbul.

Conrad is a great hotel and you can usually get pretty good rates from their web site. Staying on the Bosphurus on the other hand ranks very high on my list pricey, but worth it! The best.. Four Seasons Hotel !

Istanbul is a wonderful city have a fabulous time.

We stayed at the Sirkeci Konak in October and were very pleased. It is very convenient and the staff could not have been more pleasant. I would recommend it highly.

I second that suggestion! We stayed for three nights, were treated like royalty, and could walk to the sights we wanted to see. Try it!

The only real advantage to staying in Sultanahmet is the proximity to all the tourist sights, no small thing for a first timer to Istanbul. I agree with ClaudiaF that staying on the Bospherus is magical and gives you a completely different experience in Istanbul. If you don't stay there at least be sure and take a boat ride.

I don't know about the Conrad but on our first (and last) visit to Istanbul we were with Renaissance and they gave us 3 nights at the Meridien which was on the other side of the city. So we took cabs to the tourist areas, but prices were not bad. There was one instance when a cab driver tried to cheat us as we returned to the hotel but the doorman took care of him.

Considering that we were a lot further away from Sultanahmet than I think you will be, cabs shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure to take a card from the hotel (in Turkish) that you can show to the driver if (when!) he doesn't speak English.

We will be in Istanbul in September and I booked the Hotel Deniz Houses which is in Sultanahmet, probably on the level of a 3*. We shall see!

Istanbul remains one of our favorite destinations ... so many wonderful things to see, just avoid the carpet salesmen! (Unless you need a carpet ...)

We spent 3 days in May 2010 at Seevn Hills Hotel right near Aya Sofia, Topkapi and Blue Mosque and great restaurants. See Trip Advisor for compliemts on the hotel.

We had a great time there and never used cabs or any other transport. Even walked to Golden Point to do the Bosphorous cruise.

We did everything on our own(no guides) as had some paperwok photocopied from books so knew what we were looking at and could spend our time doing it.

Be aware of restaurant in Topaki Palace as it has an amazing view but is not cheap.

Also make a note of days you are in Istanbul as Aya Sofia is closed one day a week followed by Tokapi Palace the next day.

Staff were brilliant and the view from the top is brilliant as is the restaurant for b/fast and dinner. Actually overlooks 4 Seasons which does not have the views.

Centrally located for banks, chemists, little bazaars and local restaurants.

As with everything it depends totally on what you need but please be assured Istanbul is an amazing city and is easy to see by foot. Traffic is horrendous.

Enjoy the city with whatever you decide.

I agree that you can do Istanbul on your own. We pretty much did that but one day a guy latched on to us, determined to guide us, and there was no getting rid of him. At the end of the time he wanted a "tip". Howard figured he'd give him SOMETHING even though we kept on telling him to get lost (he did give us a few minor tips that were worth something) and then he opened up a wallet that was filled with U.S. $20s!

But you really don't need a guided tour.

When you go to a place like Topkapi look out for licensed guides who are looking to give you a private tour. In 2000 we had a wonderful guide (who had worked at the museum formerly but had been disabled by a stroke so he could no longer work full time, but he knew the museum well and all the staff). He charged $25/couple per hour. In fact, he spent two hours with us but was only going to charge us for the one hour quoted -- but we paid him for two hours. Just be sure that you have a licensed guide -- look for a badge.

But everywhere else, we really did not need a guide.

In Istanbul we stayed at the Crowne Plaza. It is near a market but not THE market. This hotel was lovely, had a great room but not in an American tourist area -- more Russian and northern countries -- something different. I had rates that could be canceled so every time I saw a price change I rebooked. Came out to be $95 (ninety five dollars) a night all in and breakfast. With what we saved on the hotel room we had Lala Kagan guide us and she picked us up every day in our own mini-van. Traffic and crowds were horrible with 8 cruise ships in port one of the days and it was Ramadan. With our own van and guide, it was just perfect -- we jumped out and into the site we wanted to see (all arranged so that we did not do lines!), reservations at good restaurants (local not tourist from the looks of it) and we had seats looking over the Basphourous. We went tasting through one of the markets -- Lala sharing fruits, olives, tea, sweets and the best apricots in the world. Yogurt at the park on the Asia side was one afternoon's treat after a boat ride on the River right past the Nautica! Stay outside of the Sultanmet but not too far. Get a good rate and get a good guide -- you see and enjoy so much more. Kosagan@yahoo.com which we took from this board 2 years ago still gives us wonderful memories every time I look at the rug and framed scarf I bought. Lala is a greaat shopper. :D

Based on recommendations from these boards we stayed at the Dersaadet Hotel in 2008. It was in Sultanahmet, and very convenient for sight seeing. We could see the Blue Mosque and watch the cruise ships sailing in from the roof top lounge, where they served breakfast. We toured Istanbul on our own for 3 days before our cruise and we loved that we were in walking distance to many attractions. For those that weren't in walking distance we could easily walk to public transportation -- Istanbul has great, easy to use public transport.

If you're the type of person that likes to walk/use public transportation, I'd recommed staying in Sultanahmet. One woman who I met on our cruise said that she stayed on the Bosphorus and it was lovely -- but she had a private driver who was able to take her wherever she wanted to go!

Enjoy Istanbul, it's one of my favorite cities!

I've also stayed at Dersaadet, but not recently. It's not particularly upscale, but very nice.

I agree that staying in the Sultanahmet is preferable, for a first visit. If you want something upscale in that neighbourhood, the Four Seasons is right there. There are other smaller hotels in that quarter that are supposed to be very nice as well. There is so much that's walking distance, it's great.

Okay...

We did a multi-night pre-cruise in Istanbul before our 2006 Nautica cruise...and stayed at the Conrad...

We then did a multi-night post-cruise in Istanbul after our 2009 Nautica cruise...To change things up a bit, this time we stayed at the Sari Konak in the Sultanhamet...

As with any such choice, there are pluses and minuses to each...

First of all, we got a phenomenal rate at the Conrad by going directly through hilton.com and booking very early. We absolutely loved the hotel...My wife still considers the bed there to be the best she's ever slept in. The hotel was clean, modern, definitely up to American Five Star standards...the views were incredible. We ate one night at the Restaurant up on the (IIRC) 17th floor...really enjoyed eating at an outdoor table with view and hearing all the calls to prayer from all over the city...The security at the hotel was extremely tight...

If there was one drawback to the Conrad, it was the location...It is up on a hill, a bit of a distance way from the Sultanhamet...That same location that is a major plus for security and for views can be a negative if one desires to walk everywhere or to be "in the heart of the action"...But, it really depends on your travelling "style"...On that trip, we arranged for drivers everywhere...we used Ekol Travel for tours...arranging for them to pick us up at the airport and take us to the hotel...and to pick us up for a full day City Tour...and to pick us up and take us to the Bosporus Boat Tour...and to pick us up and take us to the Orient House for an evening show, etc....We really weren't worried about "convenience"...our convenience was built into the lifestyle choice...

Now, having done it that way the first time, we decided to try a different experience the next...

The Sari Konak...

http://www.istanbulhotelsarikonak.com/

...is a small "boutique" hotel literally in the shadow of the Blue Mosque...When we stepped out onto our balcony, the Blue Mosque loomed larger than life in our vision...Breakfast was served on the rooftop with the same incredible views...We could walk right out the front door and choose from a host of small local restaurants...and all of the typical tourist sites--the Blue Mosque, the Hagia Sophia, the Topkapi Palace, the Cisterns, et al, were all in very short walking distance...there was really no need for transportation for anything...The hotel was very pleasant, but, of course, nowhere near to the standards one finds at the Conrad...but, we were staying there for the location and convenience this time...

We would stay in either place again...

Of course, another choice, just around the corner from the Sari Konak...and a property that combines the luxury of the Conrad and the convenience of the Sari Konak...would be the Four Seasons Istanbul...We had friends who stayed there post-cruise and we spent a little time at that hotel and it was extremely nice...and also in the heart of the Sultanhamet...of course, it is fairly pricey as well...but, if you have the budget, an excellent option...

Good luck...

Long time since I have been on a thread with you. Our California trips last year (both the cruise to Panama Canal and 3 week land tour the length of California 2 months later) were great and we appreciated the great information and suggestions for hotels that you shared. I see you are still offering great help. Have some great trips. Barbara

The Four Seasons Sultanahmet is truly and extraordinary experience and though expensive, worth the money for its service, ambience and location. If anyone stays there make sure to get a rate with breakfast included. Served in the garden and you can literally get anything and everything you want from the menu.

Another vote to stay in or near the Sultanahmet area for a first-time visit.

Like previous posters gabelle and judyumcer, we stayed at the Sirkeci Konak (three nights pre-cruise) and absolutely loved this place, the most personal, caring and best service I ever have experienced in my travels and a perennial favorite on sister website tripadvisor.

For those with larger budgets, I agree with wripro that The Four Seasons Sultanahmet would be the place to stay.

On our Black Sea Serenade cruise July 2008, we stayed for a 3 night pre at the Swissotel The Bosphorus.Our room over looked the 3 corners . The Bosphorus, the Asian coast and the old city.We where able to see the Nautica docked at is berth.

They have one of the best restaurants in the world , IMHO its called Sky, At dinner they pull back the sails that cover the resaurant. Magniifacent.Its quite pricey but worth it.

Oh I forgot the lobby has the best view of the Asian side and truelly recommend stopping by just to look.

Was in Istanbul for 10 days in September. Stayed at the W Hotel on Akeretler. I must say they did an amazing job! Rooms are large and spacious and every amenity you can think of. Our room had a great quiet private garden patio off the back with cabana. Only 5 minute cab to Bosphorus cruises, 5 minute walk to shopping and nisantasi. 10 minute taxi to the mosques, palaces, gardens, grand bazaar etc.

Concierge was best I have had at any hotel and was member of Les Clefs d'Or. Took lots of time to go over exactly what we wanted and did not push any one location but rather tailored his information to exactly what we were interested in. Food was 5star as well!

We stayed at the Four Seasons on the Bosphorus and it was wonderful! The service was what one would expect from a Four Seasons and the dining venue overlooking the Bosphorus was splendid!

Had dinner there it was the first month it had opened . Great hotel

A lovely small boutique hotel close to all the tourist sites. It has a lot more charm than the big chain hotels. I have also stayed at the Hilton which is great. However, if you want to be near the tourist places, you'll love the Ottoman. You can walk to many places. The Hilton was near Taksim Square. From there we had to get transportation.

Archived