Foreign money exchange online

Lvtocruize2

Has anyone found better rates from an online service money exchange? My TA recommended a site where the money is delivered right to your door. I need to get a lot of Euros to pay for 2 days in Venice and a private tour in Rome which will cost over 1000 euros for both of us for the day. When would be a good time for the exchange, a gamble

I know, and what service charges, if you know, will I incur? I guess the bottom line is what is the best online exchange or will I do better going thru my bank?

1) call your local bank, see what they charge, no one but you knows your bank and the rate they would charge.

2) I'd not trust any online agency. Think about it, you doing a wire transfer, CC? Either way risky, you being penny wise and pound foolish?

1000 euros :eek: one day in Rome? You got a private mercedes? Even RIL which will do a private fan for the day only charges about 500 euros for the car/drive and another 100-200 euros for a guide depending on all day or only for the Vatican. Sorry and you worry about your euro fees?

Has anyone found better rates from an online service money exchange? My TA recommended a site where the money is delivered right to your door. I need to get a lot of Euros to pay for 2 days in Venice and a private tour in Rome which will cost over 1000 euros for both of us for the day. When would be a good time for the exchange, a gamble

I know, and what service charges, if you know, will I incur? I guess the bottom line is what is the best online exchange or will I do better going thru my bank?

Your best deal for money exchange is using a ATM in Europe.That is where the best rate is.

I also wonder what you are getting for $1300 Wow! That is very expensive. Are you sure you are not getting ripped off?

I agree!

Kirk

Your best deal for money exchange is using a ATM in Europe.That is where the best rate is.

I also wonder what you are getting for $1300 Wow! That is very expensive. Are you sure you are not getting ripped off?

Well, if SilverSea can charge $7k + for a helicopter tour of Capri and Sorrento I suppose one could find a tour of Rome that's a tad more than RIL.

Am still trying to imagine a $1300 day tour of Rome. Guess if you went to one of the more expensive spas and then ate in the most expensive restaurant you could spend that amount. As to a tour, for that price we would settle for nothing less then a Rolls or perhaps a Bentley. Mercedes are too common :)

Hank

I also cannot imagine spending that money for a one day tour!! As for the euros, I too would ask at your bank.

For ME the best deal is from MY own bank,Wells Fargo.

They give a worse exchange rate than what you'd get from an ATM in Europe but with the fees that I have to pay at the ATM their rate only comes out to about $1 more per hundred. IF you don't have an account there though it becomes worse because there is an additional $8 fee. They also will send euros to your door by mail.

Check with your bank to see what kind of fees they charge for int'l transactions. If it's not a good rate, open a new account just for the trip. Also, many banks have a daily withdrawal limit of $500 so you need to ask about getting this increased.

Regardless you need to advise your banks (credit and debit) that you will be overseas. If they aren't aware of your travel plans, they may suspect fraud and freeze your account. (they leave a message on your HOME phone to contact them in 24 hrs and then they shut off the card).

I'm reading this as 2 days in Venice + 1 tour in Rome =€1000, but I seem to be the only one.

I have bought currency on-line, and it was a good deal. It should be very safe as long as the company is reputable. I've used the Post Office on-line service in the UK, and got a better rate than almost anywhere else.

The easiest way to compare is to ask the bank what the total cost (including all fees, service charges, etc.) of buying €1000 will be, and check the on-line foreign exchange company website for the the same information.

I'll have to add, as did everyone else; that tour price in Rome is absolutely ridiculous!

Is this currency purchase through Travelex; that's who you will be sent to if you want to purchase currency through AAA. I have purchased Euros through them before and it was quite easy. Exchange rate was about the same as anywhere else and the only fee was a $10 delivery charge. You can go to their webpage and see what exchange rate you are getting, and then check with your bank, to see where you'll get the better deal.

I agree, I'd never do a wire transfer, but this is a very reputable company and credit card transactions (not debit) are very safe! Don't understand the comment about that.

Sorry to disagree but I think Travelex has the worst exchange rates you can find! Even my bank has better rates!!

I didn't say they had the best rates, but when I purchased they were the same as I could get from my bank, who would have had to order them, and the inconvenience made up for the difference. I told OP to compare to see where she could get a better price.

I'm reading this as 2 days in Venice + 1 tour in Rome =€1000, but I seem to be the only one.

I have bought currency on-line, and it was a good deal. It should be very safe as long as the company is reputable. I've used the Post Office on-line service in the UK, and got a better rate than almost anywhere else.

The easiest way to compare is to ask the bank what the total cost (including all fees, service charges, etc.) of buying €1000 will be, and check the on-line foreign exchange company website for the the same information.

Actually I read it this way too, that the 1000euros was for more than just one tour of Rome. Maybe the OP can clarify.

You will do better at an ATM in Italy

We are doing a tour (13 hours) in Rome. Private tour, just my wife and myself. Picks us up at our ship in a 2010 Mercedes. No lines, no waiting, drops us off at the doorstep of just about anything you could want to see. These drivers have permits to park and drive in special lanes. These cars can travel roads and alleys that the larger buses cannot. You depart the port earlier than the buses so you can avoid the crowds, for awhile at least. 500 euros. We also opted for a 2.5 hour private tour of the Vatican, additional 120 euros. With these two tours, we receive personal attention, can spend as much or as little time as we want where we want. We can alter the tour to suit ourselves. The other options are: go in a mini bus with 6 other people and mabe have one of them mess-up your day; or go on a bus of 40-50 people where someone will almost assuredly mess-up your day. If this will be your one and only time in Rome, I think that it is a good investment. I agree that 1000 euros seems a little high.

Now you have my interest. More then $1300 for a single day tour of Rome? We would love to know what you are getting for that money.

Hank

RIL says and I c/ped this: Mercedes A/C Sedan up to 2 people: Euro: 450

I misinterpreted this as per person. We will have a 9 hr. tour + 130 euros for a private guide in the Vatican.

Boy, do I feel "richer" now!!!! Thanks guys/gals for bringing this to my attention!!!!!

Patty

Archived