Expectations of a Cruise Director

Sky Sweet

I agree with ChessBriar. A CD can make or break a cruise because he does a tremendous amount of work to ensure that all the activities and entertainment run smoothly - he's not just an emcee or stand-up comic. There's a lot of behind-the-scenes work that someone has to do and the CD is the man - that's why they are ship's officers, not just staff.

I agree also, I could care less if he/she can sing or tell a joke. The most important thing to me is that he/she is a good manager of their staff. As Orator also said, there would be lots of complaints if staff didn't show up for activities, etc. It is the behind the scenes stuff that matters.

Edited by dkjretired

After more than 35 cruises we have seen cruise directors in almost every capacity. Their role is not only managerial but also public relations. Some have been good, some have been invisible and some have gone above and beyond.

When sailing two weeks after 9/11 on a cruise moved from New York to Philly, sailing through the aft winds of a hurricane and returning into the fore winds of another hurricane and loosing an engine to boot, our CD was phenomenal. He did everything he could to make the passengers see less of the tragedy. He made a point to spend time with each of the passengers who boarded the ship - and there weren't many. He was exceptional.

That's dedication: 9 years of mystery.

Wow someone had to do some digging for this one.:rolleyes:

It appears your comments may have gone over some peoples heads. I hadn't taken my first cruise yet.

Edited by Oville

It appears your comments may have gone over some peoples heads. I hadn't taken my first cruise yet.

LOL...Hi Katie....I saw that date.......9 years ago:eek:

I never gave it much thought about how a CD affected my cruise until I had a bad one.

A good or great CD makes the cruise enjoyable without you knowing why.

It was during a recent cruise that I noticed the difference. I made mention of the CD to a few employees and was told that there were many complaints about him. After hearing the first comment I made the comment to others to see what their response would be so it wasn't based on someone just agreeing with me. .

Would I schedule a cruise based on who the Captain or CD is not really but if there were two cruises that I was trying to choose between it could be the deciding factor.

Crusie on 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅