Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Indiana, my cats would love for me to pack like that! Any time a suitcase comes out of the closet they all have to "help" me pack.

This wasn't you, was it? LOL

http://www.catchannel.com/news/kitten-travels-from-florida-to-texas-in-suitcase.aspx

Or maybe this lady:

http://tweentribune.com/tween/cat-travels-disney-world-trapped-suitcase

ocbeachbums: Below is a photo that gives an idea of the shoe bag. It is hanging over the bathroom door. If you look to the right of the stateroom door, you can see shoes protruding from the slots. This bag came from WalMart several years ago, and holds 16 pairs. Before The Bag, shoes were scattered all over!:eek::cool:

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3B4%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D359%3B%3C4465%3B335nu0mrj

geocruiser: The yellow outfit is one I had out for our June Family Cruise - but never wore. The skirt is Talbot's. The necklace is made of acrylic beads and string (from a local fun shop). The white top is from Nordstrom's and was purchased for Cruise #1 in 2006. It has a matching Bolero.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv7923%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E27469%3A%3A4%3B6244ot1lsi

We talk a lot about Outfits and post really helpful photos that inspire other CCFs...

well, on Thursday I'm going to take another step: a Before and After makeup photo:eek:. Photo #1 will be a completely bare face and hair as it is in the morning (scary!). Photo #2 will be after hair and makeup - showing an ordinary-looking middle aged female, with no professional make-up artistry. Stay tuned...

Thanks. I just love this outfit. It is really pretty. The neck line of the shell is nice. The white shoes will look great with it! When you get back from your cruise I would love to see a picture of you in it.

Edited by geocruiser

scrapnana: Thank you for the compliment:)! Perfect Planning and Packing for the Cruising Fashionista....that would be a fun book to write!

Here's another outfit I've worn on a previous cruise. It's nice for one of those evenings when the northern temps are still being felt. The skirt, pullover and pale yellow knit top are all from Talbot's. The yellow wedges are Anne Klein. The necklace (not very clear) is made of white beads and silver. It came from an antique shop. Earrings will be yellow.

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3C3%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3655%3A9%3B3%3C4335nu0mrj

To show that the yellow shoes go with more than one outfit...this is a cotton sundress from Garnet Hill. I love the brightly colored necklace, made from flat, round pieces of wood. The same yellow earrings and a favorite stretchy yellow and silver bracelet.

232323232%7Ffp%3B76%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3655%3A9%3B3%3B%3B335nu0mrj

Oh my! You know, that could happen at my house :rolleyes:

On more than one occasion I have had to wash and re-pack clothes but no cat has ever cruised with us. Pity.

I love that the one cat actually made it through the airport scanners. :D

How often do you see a magazine (usually at the checkout) that shows a movie star without makeup?? Fascinating what a few cosmetics can do. Well, I'm far from a movie star...but here's my "Before" photo...and This Bare Face is only seen by DH:rolleyes:. Scary!!!

I'm not a make-up expert by any stretch, but always feel better after using a few basic products to add a little color and give definition to eyes.

232323232%7Ffp%3B4%3B%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D365673535%3A335nu0mrj

Next is the After photo. Hair and makeup done. I envy those lucky ladies who have a natural glow and great features, and don't need any enhancements. I wouldn't ever go on a cruise without my bag of cosmetics.

232323232%7Ffp%3B86%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D365673535%3B335nu0mrj

Looking good there Indiana! And, yes, makeup is our friend.

I like how your just malei[ enhances your features. Not overdone. Can you detail what you use--not necessarily brand names but foundation, powder, eye shadow, eyeliner, mascara, bronzer blush or whatever?

I have switched up how I apply my makeup recently and just am wondering how it compares to you.

Anybody ever let someone at the cosmetic counter of a department store do your make-up? As I aged I started wearing less and less make-up. Last year when I had to redo my bathroom I threw out all my old make-up except for a compact and some blush. I though I would visit one of the department stores and have them show me what to do. Any suggestions on which brand?

I love how you enhanced your natural but still look so natural! I cant seem to find the right color foundation. I bought a brush because I read you get a better look that way, but I wasn't thrilled. Do you use a brush to apply your foundation?

Anybody ever let someone at the cosmetic counter of a department store do your make-up? As I aged I started wearing less and less make-up. Last year when I had to redo my bathroom I threw out all my old make-up except for a compact and some blush. I though I would visit one of the department stores and have them show me what to do. Any suggestions on which brand?

I have definitely let makeup counter women make me up but you need to realize that you will want to buy something from them and it can get pricey.

I like Bobbi Brown. Very natural. Also like Estee Lauder.

I also started wearing less makeup as I age but the one thing I could not do without is Lucidity foundation from Estee Lauder. The coverage is light but remarkable plus it has sunscreen built in. Several people have commented on my skin looking great so I guess it works. I also wear Estee Lauder or Clinque lipstick.

Thanks to all of you for the positive comments! Here's how I applied the makeup for the photo:

Actually, the procedure begins at night, when makeup comes off. This takes 5-10 minutes. Very important to go to bed with a clean face!

Clinique Take the Day Off MakeUp Remover on cotton rounds for eye makeup.

Ponds Cold Cream applied all over my face (except eyes) with fingers and removed with a cotton round to remove all other makeup.

Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser and a wash cloth to remove Ponds (Ponds does a good job, but leaves a residue.)

Clinique Seven Day Scrub (an amount about the size of half a vitamin tablet) massaged all over face and rinsed well.

Now my face is really clean!

I'm still using the samples of Clinique Repairwear Laser Focus on my "parantheses" but will not be buying it...it has helped diminish the deep lines a little - but not enough to warrant the expenditure. A little goes on at night, followed by Olay Regenerist Deep Hydrating Cream.

And When It's Time to Put on MakeUp:

Clinique Repairwear goes on first - on those persistent parentheses:rolleyes:.

For years I've used Olay Complete All Day Moisturizer with SPF 15. But just this week I tried a sample from a magazine of Garnier BB Cream that claimed to reduce the look of large pores. I liked the look and purchased a tube.

I'm not really sure if BB Cream takes the place of moisturizer...the directions don't say...but I used it in place of moisturizer. The BB Cream has an SPF of 20:cool: .

L'Oreal True Match Crayon Concealer is next - applied around my eyes and feathered out so it is blended.

Clinique All About Eyes Concealer is a bit heavier, so that's what I apply to the cheek area that isn't smooth and where pores are visible.

Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Lift and Firm Makeup SPF 15 is applied with my fingertips and blended over to my ears and to my neck.

I use an eye shadow brush to apply Elizabeth Arden Eye Shadow Duo - the lighter shade under my eyebrows and the darker shade in the crease. (not with that silly little "brush" that comes in the compact - this is a Bobbi Brown Eye Shadow Brush).

Maybelline MasterShape Eyebrow pencil fills in my eyebrows that for some reason??? are in need of a little help.

Smashbox Limitless Eyeliner is a pencil and goes on as close to my eyelash root as I can get - from the outside corner to just past halfway across the lid. Same on the bottom lash.

Mascara - I have CoverGirl, Maybelline and Clinique (sample) right now. Not much difference - as long as they're waterproof and thicken lashes. I don't use lash lengthening because of wearing glasses.

Blush is last because I want to be sure the foundation is set. Lancôme Blush Subtil is my favorite, and is in a pressed compact and applied with a Bobbi Brown Blush Brush on the apples of my cheek and blended all around.

Almost Forgot - lipstick! Colors that work best for me are reds - not gloss or tint, but real lipstick. I have several in all price ranges. They're all good.

It takes 10-15 minutes from beginning to end (about as long as it took to type all this!).

FOUNDATION BRUSH: I have had makeup applied at department store cosmetics counters and a foundation brush has always been used and recommended. But I don't like the idea of all that foundation staying on the brush...there's no way to use it all, so IMHO, it's wasteful and doesn't look any different when my own clean fingertips are used.

I made an appointment when a corporate makeup artist from Elizabeth Arden was at the local department store. My makeup was blended very well and some useful tips were given. A lot of pressure was put on trying to get me to buy a $$$ serum...without success. I did buy foundation (that needed replenishing) and a lipstick.

DEPARTMENT STORE COSMETICS REPRESENTATIVES: Go for a brand that you like, there are many too choose from: Clinique, Estee Lauder, Lancôme, Bobbi Brown, etc. If you don't have a preferred brand, do a little web search to see which company fits your makeup style.

Edited by indiana71

Thanks, Indiana, that was very helpful and very instructive! My makeup routine is similar to yours although I don't wear eyeshadow during the daytime (unless I am going to something special). And I have started wearing Bobbi Brown bronzer which I do like as I am very pale and hate that look especially during our long Boston winters.

My skin care regimen is less elaborate at night and more elaborate than yours in the morning. I have been using Arbonne products for about three years and really like them.

Just had a facial this aftenoon--always fun! Hubby is away on a business/pleasure trip so I decided to treat myself. Love the upper body massage :)

And I didn't think your lipstick was red. Looks rosier. I don't like myself in reds and bright colors due to my fair skin.

I'm 48, and find that I very much need moisturizer these days, as my skin has gotten dry. The problem to me is, it feels like it sets on my skin, and really doesn't do anything. I'm concerned that too heavy of a moisturizer will clog my pores. I would really like to see a different when I come out of the shower in the morning, and be able to say that my skin seems better before I put anything on it. Does that make sense?

laurspag: We all wonder if all these products do any good. What happened to plain old soap and water? There are so many ads (in magazines, tv, websites, etc.) that want us to believe their products will repair, make us look younger, reduce wrinkles, make pores appear smaller...

CCFs need to assess what really works. Moisturizers have been around a long time (although not always with the extra ingredients listed).

I'm not a cosmetics expert in any way - but - I do believe it's important to remove all makeup at night and dab on a night moisturizer. Wearing something with an SPF during the day is the other Must Do.

Other than that, it's all a personal choice RE how many bottles and potions we want to use.

Other CCFs - what do you think?

Edited by indiana71

I'm 52, and I agree to wash your face every night - but - I am so so oily, that I end up usually washing again in the middle of the night or at least applying the "clarifying lotion" that Clinique offers.

I have recently started wearing the Bare Minerals makeup - more like a powder - and I like the way it feels. Not like makeup at all. But I do get oily with it too. I hate my oily face, but, at least it keeps me looking young! I welcome any suggestions to control my oil!

How often do you see a magazine (usually at the checkout) that shows a movie star without makeup?? Fascinating what a few cosmetics can do. Well, I'm far from a movie star...but here's my "Before" photo...and This Bare Face is only seen by DH:rolleyes:. Scary!!!

I'm not a make-up expert by any stretch, but always feel better after using a few basic products to add a little color and give definition to eyes.

232323232%7Ffp%3B4%3B%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D365673535%3A335nu0mrj

Next is the After photo. Hair and makeup done. I envy those lucky ladies who have a natural glow and great features, and don't need any enhancements. I wouldn't ever go on a cruise without my bag of cosmetics.

232323232%7Ffp%3B86%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D365673535%3B335nu0mrj

I just love the hair color. You also have great skin. You really could get by with little or no make up. The smile is all you need!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and this board. Yes I have palazzo pants. I love them. I wear them with different tops while on a cruise. They pack real easy.

No clue what I'm doing, new to the forum. I ordered 2 pairs for the cruise and love them.