First time Panama Canal Cruiser, best way to see it?

Jimbo

Doing a Full transit from west to east through the Canal.

Best to take an excursion and catch the ship at Cristobal Pier or stay on the ship the entire time?

Please give reasons on why you picked what you picked?

Jimbo

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;10;3;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

10/3/04 Legend of the Seas

Panama Canal 14-Nights

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;2;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

2/13/05 Carnival "Miracle"

partaepiratessmallsmall.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;8;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

8/28/05 Serenade of the Seas

Alaska Bound

We did the transit the other way, Pacific to Atlantic and stayed on the ship the whole way to experience the locks and the transit from the ship. We had a rainy and cloudy day but we got on deck early in the morning when the Bridge of the America's was just beginning to appear out of the fog and mist. I wish the day had been prettier but we took a lot of pictures during the whole day. We found a spot on the upper decks near the front of the ship and stayed there most of the day. It might have been neat to have been able to get shots of the ship from shore going through the locks but actually experiencing it in the ship was neat also. Given the extra costs associated with the shore excursion I would recommend staying on board. We were back in Panama last fall and did the train trip across from Colon to Panama city and got to see a lock from the shore side. Unfortunately no ships went through while we were there.

Have a GREAT next cruise.

HAL Noordam 3/97 West Carib

Hal Westerdam 12/97 East Carib

HAL Veendam 11/98 East Carib

Hal Zaandam 12/00 South Carib

HAL Veendam 10/01 Panama Canal

RCCL Enchantment 09/02 W.Carib

Costa Atlantica 12/02 E.Carib

HAL Noordam 03/03 S.Carib

Golden Princess 07/03 Med

Celebrity Zenith 12/03 W.Carib

HAL Maasdam 05/04 Canada

Next cruise

Island Princess 11/04 Hawaii

wwinfl91 - isn't west to east and Pacific to Atlantic the same direction.

Jimbo - here's what I did on my recent transit of the canal - first didn't have a chance to do any shore trips - did it from the Atlantic to the Pacific.

Got up early - found a space on the upper most forward deck and watch until we were leaving the first set of locks - then headed for the aft to see the first set of locks close - then headed for the promenade deck where you can almost reach out and touch the people on shore - you really get the sense that the ship is being raised or lower in the locks from this advantage point - then spent the remainder of the time going back and forth and from starboard to port taking lots of photos - once the first set of locks are cleared the people start to scatter around the ship - go and eat etc.

It is truly a magnificent sight to cruise through the locks - I doubt you will get the same sensation from a land tour.

Hope this helps

Dennis

Sun Princess to Alaska May 2000

Norwegian Sun - Panama Canal 4/11/04

Norwegian Sun - Pacific Coastal 4/27/04

Wwinfl91,

Thanks, the train you took did it go right along the canal the whole time, just wondered if there is something we would miss seeing if we stayed on the ship rather then the train excursion? Did you take the regular railroad car or the dome railroad car?

Urban trekker, thanks, you are right we sre going from the Pacific to the Atlantic Ocean, Have to admit after reading both of your suggestions I'm leaning toward staying on the ship now.

Anyone else have any other opinions on this question?

Jimbo

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;10;3;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

10/3/04 Legend of the Seas

Panama Canal 14-Nights

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;2;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

2/13/05 Carnival "Miracle"

partaepiratessmallsmall.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;8;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

8/28/05 Serenade of the Seas

Alaska Bound

The train tracks follow along the canal for quite a way but because of jungle and trees and at times hills you do lose your view of the canal quite a few times. It is also very tough to take pictures that will turn out from a moving train or at least that was my experience. We happened to be there on a Sunday and the train was run just for our tour, which consisted of I believe, 3 or 4 buses. We didn't pay the extra fee to be in the domed cars because of the problems with taking pictures from a moving object.

I have also seen posts where they have changed the tour so that at least on some trips you only do the train one way and then take a bus all the way back. We did do a bus tour in Panama City and to the locks we saw but then we returned to the train for the return trip.

All in all it was a worthwhile way to spend the day. The ship was in Colon for the whole day and the other options which included a bus tour to the locks and another one to the old Spanish fort ruins were other options. Colon itself didn't look very appealing and we had seen posts on this board and on others that it isn't the safest place in the world if you have anything you don't want taken from you (like money or a digital camera).

Have a GREAT next cruise.

HAL Noordam 3/97 West Carib

Hal Westerdam 12/97 East Carib

HAL Veendam 11/98 East Carib

Hal Zaandam 12/00 South Carib

HAL Veendam 10/01 Panama Canal

RCCL Enchantment 09/02 W.Carib

Costa Atlantica 12/02 E.Carib

HAL Noordam 03/03 S.Carib

Golden Princess 07/03 Med

Celebrity Zenith 12/03 W.Carib

HAL Maasdam 05/04 Canada

Next cruise

Island Princess 11/04 Hawaii

• 2 weeks later...

We did the east to west transit in April. There was no option to get off the ship for us until we reached Puerto Amador on the Pacific side. We really enjoyed being on the ship and watching the locks work and cruising through Gatun Lake. The Canal narrator on board shared so much information about the Canal. The next day there were pictures of the ship taken by the ship's photographers as well as pictures of passengers on deck and on the balconies, so we have pictures of the ship going through the Canal (probably stock, but who cares?) as well as movies and stills of the trip. Given the option again, I would definitely stay on the ship and experience the transit that way! Whichever you decide, you will love it! Have a great time!

Sue

Dawn Princess - Panama Canal - April 2004

Dawn Princess - Alaska - August 2005

icon_wink.gif Panama Canal

If this is your first time going through the canal, I would definitely stay on the ship. It is very fascinating to watch the mules move the ship in the locks.

We have gone a full transit canal cruise several times in both directions and never tire watching the mules.

Last year we did a partial transit of the canal and had the opportunity to take the train round trip from Colon to Panama City. We were on the dome car. Husband wasn't able to take too many pictures because of the movement of the train and too many trees flashing by. We would recommend this trip ONLY after you have gone through the canal and seen everything.

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Why go to the Panama Canal to get off and avoid the Oportunity to see the entire gig and treat it like another "day excursion".

If you go to the canal and the ship transits but not you - YOU'RE F'n Nuts...

The canal transit is visually, nautically, engineeringly, PRECIOUS!

I've been there on biz '83 and '84, transited by ship '01 (THE BEST), did Colon '03; jeez the transit is the best way to see a great country. In a single day, you're not going to see this country for what it is, so SEE what created it - the canal!!

• 4 weeks later...

Do they still use the mules? I thought they stopped doing that some time ago. We are going in Ooctober 05, West to East full transit. I am so excited, have wanted to do this cruise for years. We booked a balcony, but expect we will be out on deck for most of the day. Thanks for the info, we will stay on the ship for the full transit.

Annieeee

I was stationed in the Canal Zone for 18 months back in the late '60's, and tried to do and see everything that one can on E-4 pay. Of all the things, riding thru the Canal on a ship was the best. Do not miss it...

• 3 weeks later...

I am going throught the canal April 27th. From Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco. First time through the canal. Everyone has said this is the way to see it. There is a thread started on roll call if you are interested. Love to have you join a few other CC's that are going.

Delores

I have been through the canal 12 times since 1989. I never get tired of it . There is always something new to see. I would only get off the ship if it were only going half way through the canal...Mexico to Mexico etc. If you have time , read the book "The Path Between The Seas". It's all about the building of the canal. Better yet, bring it with you and read it on the days you're at sea.

Jimbo.....I can't believe I get to give you advice for a change. You are always so kind to share your knowledge with us. You and Bonnie are my "cruise experts". Definitely stay on the ship! The progression through the canal is absolutely marvelous. We have done it two years in a row and are already booked for next year. We always do east to west in the spring. We would love to do west to east in the fall but that doesn't fit with our work schedules. On our trips (Radiance OTS) there was not a choice to get off. So...my recommendations are based on my experiences (east to west) and might need to be altered based on the reverse but I think they basically would apply going either direction. You will want to be at your chosen "spot" about 5 am. (No I am not kidding!) We get there about 5:30 and have been in the "second row" as opposed to right against the railing. We go to the helipad to transit. On Radiance this is the lowest, most forward public area we can get. I don't know if Legend has a helipad or not. If so, then that would be my recommended spot. If not, then I would figure out what the lowest, most forward public spot is. I would plan to get there early.

The Bridge of the Americas is fantastic. Our first year through, traffic actually stopped on the bridge and people got out of cars, off of busses, etc. to wave to us. We did not get off of the ship in Panama City but the view in the distance is awesome. I had forgotten that it is a big banking center. There are huge skyscrapers, etc. I wasn't expecting that view.

Once you go through the first set of locks then you can leave your spot and go wander around...eat breakfast...take a nap, etc. Both years it has rained on us while in the "lake" section. Then you will want to be back in your spot for the third set of locks too.

You can tell friends to watch you go through the Miraflores locks (Pacific side) on Pancanal.com. They have a camera at Gatun locks too but it doesn't seem to work too often.

There is a moderator that comes over the ship's pa and gives details throughout the day. The ships photographers are everywhere taking photos. One photographer and one videographer actually got off the ship and went shoreside for the day. Therefore we had great photos of our actual transit through and the videographer got great shops to put on the video/dvd.

You will have a great time. This is our most favorite cruise. We love the 14 days. We love the seadays. We love the Canal day!!!!

• 1 month later...

Jimbo....I am so glad you changed ships. I have never been on Legend so I am not speaking "against" it....just "for" Radiance. It is our favorite ship! As I said earlier....you are my "expert" so you probably don't have any questions....but...if there is anything I can help you with I'd be more than happy to try. Have a great time!!!!

Jimbo....Costa Rica is really neat. Both years we have gone over to a Marriott (Los Suenos) to play golf. We take a taxi (about 1 hour away / $140) to this fabulous resort. We play golf and then have lunch at the hotel and walk around the pool / beach area. The people are fantastic. As far as Puntarenas...the area right around the pier is very "poor" looking. The people are very nice but I would definitely think you would either want to do a ship excursion or at hire a taxi for the day to take you around. I have not really checked into shore ex as we have had our "golf outing" planned both time. However, I only heard of nice things said about all of the tours that everyone did take. Some of the tours are very long though (8-10 hours) because the port is so far from some of the places (San Jose 2 hours or so...Sarchi shopping village 2 hours or so). But even the people that said they were so tired from the long day on the buses said they were glad they did it. There are a few vendors at the end of the pier but I have never walked back down there to see what they have. (Once I haul my clubs back to the ship I don't have the "energy" to go back to the end of the pier for "souvenir shopping". ) They generally have a small stand set-up right off the ship though to buy Costa Rican coffee. When you first get off of a morning there will be taxi drivers right there if you want to negotiate for transportation rather than a ship's tour. It will be "pricey" though as most things you will want to see are a little far from the ship. This is a great stop though and one we throughly enjoy.

We also enjoyed Huatulco this year. (It was a new stop this year.) Again, we played golf and we were the only people on the course. The area is nice and clean as it is the "newest" tourist area being developed by the government. Getting in to the pier is challenge for the captain here. It is definitely one you want to be up front watching as you are pulling in.

• 2 weeks later...

Skiiergirl, do you have a preference as to which side of the ship is better for viewing while in the canal? My DH insists he will not leave the balcony, :rolleyes: so I figured I better get one on the "correct" side of the ship. I heard that the mules are only on one side - is that true? Which side?

As you can see from our signature, we are planning to see the canal from Serenade next year. I'm collecting stateroom info, so we can book a good room on Rhapsody in December.

Thanks for all the info you have provided so far, and Jimbo, thanks for asking!

MC....There is no way to know which lane you will be in while going through. However, you would get a feel for it from either side. I can't say for sure though because we were port when we went through in the left lane and starboard when we went through on the right side. We always go out to the helipad while actually going through the locks and then spend a lot of time on the balcony while in the lake area. Convince hubby to go out to the helipad for at least one set of the locks.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived