Mariner Champagne Brunch - worth going to?

Zezzie

My DH and I are traveling with another couple on the Veendam. I'm a 1 star mariner but the rest in my party are first timers on HAL.

I'm wondering what the brunch is like, when they usually have it and is it worth attending? I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the boards.

Also, I'm sure my DH would be able to attend with me but what about the other couple? I don't think they would have issue if they couldn't but I just wanted to understand in advance what the options might be.

Thanks

I would be surprised if Champagne is served, have only seen sparkling wine at the Mariner Lunches that we have attended.

It is a limited menu.

We have met some very interesting well travelled fellow passengers at the lunch.

Champagne has been served. Overall, probably the quality of food and booze served is better on longer cruises. But I would attend. Free booze! I guess if you don't drink, maybe a little less appeal. But sometimes some good food, and some interesting company.

If you want your souvenir tile (samples below) you should go as that's where they are usually given out. If you say you won't be attending the steward should leave it in your room, but that sometimes doesn't happen.

Your first-timer friends won't receive an invitation to the lunch.

2010_tile_1.jpg2010_tile_2.jpg2010_tile_3.jpg2010_tile_4.jpg

We loved ours on the Volendam last year - it was really lovely.

We were expecting a simple stand-up cocktail type arrangement, but it was full sit down with speedy refills of champagne glasses;)

Can't remember what the food was except for a key lime pie at the end, but it was all outstanding.

People next to us had pre-booked the Pinnacle grill with friends (1st timers who were not invited to the mariner brunch) for lunch that day and had planned to eat a very small amount, but the food was so good they ate it all and were worried about how they would fit another bite in at lunch. lol.

Champagne has been served. Overall, probably the quality of food and booze served is better on longer cruises. But I would attend. Free booze! I guess if you don't drink, maybe a little less appeal. But sometimes some good food, and some interesting company.

Thank you for confirmation that Champagne has been served.

Was this on a World Cruise?

Do you recall the name of the Champagne?

Thank you for confirmation that Champagne has been served.

Was this on a World Cruise?

Do you recall the name of the Champagne?

At the last Mariner brunch we went to, the choice was white or red wine. Champagne was not offered.

We really enjoyed it as we went with some new friends we met on the ship. The Captain gave a speech about the latest HAL news and acknowledged regular cruisers. We will definitely go again!!!

:D:D:D

no champagne was served at the mariner's brunch on any of the ships that we have been on the last couple of years -- just a choice of red or white wine -- one glass per person at our table -- no one came around to refill the glasses -- after the wine stewards filled the glasses they disappeared

i'll see if i can find the menu

Mariner's Brunch on the Nieuw Amsterdam

Appetizer:

Warm Chicken Bites and Arugula Salad with mix lettuce and tomato, drizzled with orange-olive oil dressing

OR

Apple and Pear Gazpacho with fruit sorbet

Entree:

Beef Short Ribs with Roasted Garlic Cloves - slowly braised in a rich gravy, served boneless over classic mashed potatoes and vichy carrots with clives

OR

Butter Basted Pacific Ling Cod Fillet - with a timbale of golden yellow rice, sauteed zucchini, red beets abnd roasted basil flavored tomatoes

OR

Vidalia Onion, Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche - served with orzo pasta and grilled tomato

Dessert:

Chocolate Bread and Butter Pudding

Petits Fours, Coffee and Tea

on this cruise santa carolina wine was served

We did have champagne at our Mariner's brunch on the last cruise. It was a 20 day cruise, so I don't know if that was why or not. Our previous cruise was only 10 days and we received champagne on that one too. :)

Maybe like everything it varies from ship to ship and cruise to cruise :confused:

We had champagne at our Mariner's brunch on our last cruise. It was a 7 day one.

Another question - does the menu vary considerably from ship to ship, or are there a few set menus that can be used? The one Krazy Kruizers posted is different from the one we had, but it looks like they're all set menus with a few changes.

-- one glass per person at our table -- no one came around to refill the glasses -- after the wine stewards filled the glasses they disappeared

That's often been our experience, but on one cruise (Noordam IIRC) we could hardly get our glasses down less than half before our steward topped it up again. Maybe we had a VIP at our table! :)

Yes! We always enjoy the lunch, and meeting others who are well traveled. Our children, now in their twenties enjoy it too; it is nice to be recognized. Seems like the past few cruises, we (husband and I were 3 star mariners) have been invited to a cocktail party before the lunch, then are seated at lunch in the dining room.

Champagne was served at the Mariner's Brunch I attended on the Noordam in February. Glasses were quickly refilled for those who were drinking at our table. I worried that the entertaining gentleman next to me might not be able to walk out of the room. It seemed like he must have drained two bottles all on his own. ;)

We were on Rydam Feb. 6-20. At the Mariners Brunch, we were offered red or white wine, with lots of bar staff circulating to provide refills. Tea or coffee were also available.

The menu we had was only slightly different from the one KK posted; we had key lime tarts for dessert instead of the bread pudding, but the other dishes were the same.

Key Lime and White Chocolate Tart - A sweet and tart filling baked in a flaky pastry tartlet, topped with a dollop of whipped cream.

Dave

We went to the lucheon on Friday the 25th of Feb and there was wonderful food, champagne ( lots of refills) and great people. Got our tiles for the NA. It is fun and special. The other couple could also go as they don't check if you are invited or not. Up to you?

but it's just a sparkling wine and not that great. It's the same as they give you when you board, at art auctions and other events. I'd rather have the red wine.

Agreed - those is the real champagne business would be horrified that HAL calls that bubbly swill champagne..........

Agreed - those is the real champagne business would be horrified that HAL calls that bubbly swill champagne..........

I understand that only Champagne produced in the Champagne region of France is entitled to be labelled as Champagne......but of course I could be wrong.

We have only seen sparkling wine poured at the Mariners Lunch, Suite Lunch and Art Auctions.

on our last mariner's lunch there was only wine served and no refills,

No tiles either at the lunch or in our room. I forgot to go and ask at the desk for them so we came home without them.

The lunch itself was much better that the two cruises before that - salmon or roast beef

there was no coctail party before the lunch and the medallions were presented to the people as they sat at the tables - one couple had over a thousand days! then the captain disappeared and that was it. No group pictures, just a quick picture with the captain standing behind our chairs.

It seems to differ from ship to ship.

Archived