We're leaving next Saturday on Radiance

This is our first cruise, so please don't laugh if I ask stupid questions. I have heard there is a hair dryer in the bathroom, true? Is there an alarm clock too? Also, I'm curious about the water package--what kind of water is it? All I see on the RCL site is a picture of Evian water. If that's it, well, YUCK. I drink spring water, but not mineral water. Is there anything else I should know? (I have been reading the First Time Cruisers board, too.)

no question is a stupid question...the radiance is a really nice ship...where are you sailing to??? yes, there are hair dryers in your cabin. bottled water is simply bottled water. i don't remember the brand but its not mineral water. if you are a soft drink drinker than the soda package is also nice. we always purchase a soda package and share it...although you technically are not allowed, we have never had a problem with my husband ordering two diet cokes at the same time!....all over the ship are also "stations" with free iced tea, water and lemonade if you don't want to purchase a drink package. hope this helps. enjoy your trip:)

Welcome to Cruise Critic. The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

I think there's a hair dryer - I have short hair so I don't use one. No clock of any kind - bring your own travel alarm. Don't know about the water package - it didn't exist when we went.

You're going to love the Radiance. There are some pics of her in my Alaska photos (link in my signature).

There is a hair dryer in a drawer by the vanity in the cabin, not it the bathroom. There is a wake up service available on the cabin phone. You pick up the phone, key in the time you want to be awaken and the phone rings at that time. Have a great cruise.

There is a hair dryer in a drawer by the vanity in the cabin, not it the bathroom. There is a wake up service available on the cabin phone. You pick up the phone, key in the time you want to be awaken and the phone rings at that time. Have a great cruise.

Oooh! Wake up call--even better! We'll all have our watches so we don't need a clock really. I just want to make sure we all get up for our excursions on time.

All I see on the RCL site is a picture of Evian water. If that's it, well, YUCK. I drink spring water, but not mineral water.

EVIAN is spring water. However, we always bring our own water on board, becauss they charge almost $4 a bottle for their water. Also, there's a water/ice/coffee dispenser outside of windjammer buffet, and every bar has ice water dispensers. Just bring a travel mug, and pour your own.

Check your cell phone, you should have an alarm clock on it. While on that, Make sure you do not use it while your in canada. you will have a really big bill waiting for you when you get home. If you have the Iphone you can shut of the data search in settings.

The water on the ship is fine...no need to pay for water. After all, all your drinks made with water, the ice and the food are made with ship's water.

The hairdryer is in the cabin vanity....it doesn't "BLOW" hardly at all...it gets hot, but that's not what "blow-drying" is about! Bring your own!

There is no alarm...call for a wake-up call, if you need waking...just like in a hotel!

The water on the ship is fine...no need to pay for water. After all, all your drinks made with water, the ice and the food are made with ship's water.

The hairdryer is in the cabin vanity....it doesn't "BLOW" hardly at all...it gets hot, but that's not what "blow-drying" is about! Bring your own!

There is no alarm...call for a wake-up call, if you need waking...just like in a hotel!

Okay, then, I'll bring my own hair dryer. I have short hair, but DD18 has long, thick hair and she needs a high speed hot hair dryer to get through that mass of hair. The water will be fine, i think. I'm more of an iced tea drinker anyway, with maybe *one* soft drink per day. I think we'll lock up the cell phones. We're going to Mexico and i'm sure the roaming charges will be high. Don't want any bad surprises.

Our family of five will on the Radiance this Saturday as well. I have never been on this particular ship, but have cruised many times! Your questions are great ones! Have a fun and safe trip!

We will be on the Radiance with you too. Have never been on this class of ship either but I'm sure we will all have a great cruise. We only buy one bottle of water and then refill it with tap water if we need more. I actually like the tap water better than the bottled. And yes bring your own hair dryer the ones on the ship are okay but you have to hold down the button the whole time or it will turn off.

No, you are not supposed to bring your own water, but many do. I usually have one bottle in my carry on, and 3-4 in my checked luggage. Goes right through fine.

Then I refill the bottles at the bathroom sink tap and keep in the fridge.

As others have noted...no alarm clock in the cabin, and in fact no clock at all. I take a tiny travel clock that has an alarm and a little lighted button to check the time when I wake in the night. I turn my cell phone off when we get 10 miles out to sea (no domestic signal) and it stays off till we come back to port.

The hairdryer is indeed in the drawer in the main cabin, but cannot be used in the bathroom (only a small plug for electric razor). There is a nice chair to use and electric plugs at the mirror there which work great for me. But DO bring your own. That hairdryer is horrible!! :eek:

You will have a fabulous time...we loved the trip and the ship! :D

And congrats on your first cruise. Only one problem....you will be hooked for life!! ;) :)

You picked a great class of ship for your first cruise. IMHO the most beautiful class that RCL sails. Lot's of glass so you can see the ocean from most public areas, never seems crowded (except for the elevators at times) and just the right size compared to some of the floating hotels.

Just an FYI about making sure you are awake for your excursions....we just got off the Radiance yesterday and this was our first RCI cruise where they had you change your clocks back an hour prior to Cozumel and then forward an hour prior to returning to Tampa. If you use your cell phone's alarm clock feature, be aware that sometimes the phones did not display the appropriate time that the ship was using. :eek:

Have a fantastic cruise...the Radiance was a very nice ship!

I have very thick hair and the hair dryer is fine for me, however, what many don't like and my daughter hates, is the dryer is the type you need to hold your finger on the button to give it power.

We carry an eight pack of water on board (I hate evian water as well) every cruise.

If you only drink an occassional soda, stay away from the soda package. You need to drink more than 3 sodas a day to make it worth your while and you are unable to share the package.

Bring you own clock, you'll want to know what time it is while you are getting ready and make sure you make your shows and such. must more important than just a wake up call.

Archived