Continued Rumor Galveston

ssb

According to Laura Eilder in business section

of Galveston Daily News March 31, 2011

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/221538

inside the article about -

UTMB Plans 45000 square foot clinic:

Still some sources in the know say another cruise announcement for Galveston is imminent. She says STAY TUNED!!!!:D

I hear stay tuned for next week sometime! I guess we'll see what happens then...

HUHHH???? Aren't Voyager and Mariner the same size?

Grossly, yes. The Mariner is a second generation Voyager class and has the external, glass, balconies. So I think the balcony cabins are a smidge bigger. Also the second generation ships have Chops and Portofino as opposed to just Portofino.

A vision class would be great, or we can just keep the Mariner. Anything as long as it's year round.

Oh, thanks again for the Mariner all ya'll from the West Coast, we appreciate it :D

It wasn't a choice "we all" made to let Mariner go....;)

It wasn't a choice "we all" made to let Mariner go....;)
She left because she did not make enough money. RCL had to price the cabins too low just to fill the ship or did not make enough onboard. If thats not California's fault who's fault is it??:confused:Fire away I deserve it!

She left because she did not make enough money. RCL had to price the cabins too low just to fill the ship or did not make enough onboard. If thats not California's fault who's fault is it??:confused:Fire away I deserve it!
Agree with you -- tired of the California whiners. Boy did they gloat when they took Mariner away from us when she was sailing from Port Canaveral. Not only were the cabins priced low, the onboard spending was low. It was a business decision.

Finally, Royal Caribbean International plans to replace its Voyager of the Seas with the 3,114-passenger Mariner of the Seas, one of the world’s 10 largest liners. Stay tuned.

HUHHH???? Aren't Voyager and Mariner the same size?

Voyager and Mariner are the same size. If you're talking about the above quote, it's because someone either didn't get their facts straight or they're trying to be deceiving. Sort of like when they talk about how the Magic is going to be the largest year-round ship. It's decieving because Royal Caribbean's seasonal ship is larger, but what they say is true for the year-round ship. I'm surprised they didn't talk about the Magic being the largest year-round ship in this article like they usually do...

For everyone: Don't get too hopeful for a year-round ship from Royal Caribbean. They're pulling more & more ships from the U.S. each year for Europe. :( I might be wrong, but I doubt they'll bring back a year-round ship until they stop sending so many ships to Europe and start keeping more ships in the U.S. during the summer.

Grossly, yes. The Mariner is a second generation Voyager class and has the external, glass, balconies. So I think the balcony cabins are a smidge bigger. Also the second generation ships have Chops and Portofino as opposed to just Portofino.

Mariner has a Chops? I hope so. No idea why it was left off of Voyager. I really don't care for Portofinos.

And how many of us west coasters do you think fly into your home ports that help you keep ships there:confused:..We were always able to keep ships on the west coast even with limited itineraries available (Mexico)..Just timing with the H1N1 flu and the economy and unfortunate outbreak of violence in some areas of Mexico (not that there isn't violence everywhere)..California may have faults but it certainly isn't our fault that RCI temporarly (and they will be back) has chosen to sail elsewhere at this time..No need to take my original response as whining or so personal or to assume I will "fire" back at you..If you ever come to the west coast ,I hope you enjoy all that we have to offer..:) Peace Out...

And how many of us west coasters do you think fly into your home ports that help you keep ships there:confused:..We were always able to keep ships on the west coast even with limited itineraries available (Mexico)..Just timing with the H1N1 flu and the economy and unfortunate outbreak of violence in some areas of Mexico (not that there isn't violence everywhere)..California may have faults but it certainly isn't our fault that RCI temporarly (and they will be back) has chosen to sail elsewhere at this time..No need to take my original response as whining or so personal or to assume I will "fire" back at you..If you ever come to the west coast ,I hope you enjoy all that we have to offer..:) Peace Out...

We have visited the west coast a number of times

and have enjoyed some of all that you have to offer

from Southern to Northern California

My sister lives in the dessert near Edwards AF!

:) Peace to you too!

My money is on the Disney Magic... probably not year round, but you never know.

I don't think it will be an RCL ship year round...they must be making lots of $$$ in Europe. I guess we'll find out soon. I think with the recent violence in Mexico on the West Coast that the cruiselines may be pulling out of that venue. I know many folks are very apprehensive about sailing to Mexico. I think a Disney ship would be great too!

I am glad to see the UTMB expansion happening. Their level 1 trauma center is back open etc...that could help draw in some more well educated workers etc...to the are and help not only the post Ike recovery but an overall growth of the Galveston area...which is good for Houston as well.

Wonder if we should read into the port director's comments...tha the Spirit is not coming...maybe we are getting a NCL ship? I'd like to see Celebrity show up here myself.

My money is on the Disney Magic... probably not year round, but you never know.

We'd be there in a heartbeat-- the DCL prices would be SO much easier to stomach if we didn't have to pay airfare! --Katie

I am glad to see the UTMB expansion happening. Their level 1 trauma center is back open etc...that could help draw in some more well educated workers etc...to the are and help not only the post Ike recovery but an overall growth of the Galveston area...which is good for Houston as well.

Wonder if we should read into the port director's comments...tha the Spirit is not coming...maybe we are getting a NCL ship? I'd like to see Celebrity show up here myself.

I cannot get any definitive answers from anyone about the announcment!

Which cruise line?

Full time vs part time?

Destinations!

We shall see, if it is anything!

One reason we moved to Galveston was for the Trauma 1 hospital

and to be close to one for medical reasons.

UTMB is expanding all over the county,

and UTMB Sealy Galveston complex is rebuilding at a fast pace.

A new medical tower is supposedly being built.

And of course Shriners is back.

Every visit I have had to make there has been a good experience.

With the present expansion at the port,

and the port partnering with a world wide port management group,

and the City of Houston property on Pelican Island going container port,

and Galveston putting more emphasis in luring tourists,

and talk at attempting to ease the development process

and Gambling getting a look see in Austin,

and Galveston long term resolution on GHA issues with a possible lawsuit,

and GHA property around medical complex possibly being traded,

along with other major issues going on……………………..

things will be changing in the future for Galveston.

SSB:

I agree Galveston is definitely changing. Know someone who is looking at an opportunity at UTMB...it could be a good job for them...just have to figure out some info on the job...they may be overqualified.

I saw one opportunity there I could easily do, just pays a fair bit less than I could live with at this time...or I'd jump on it as it would be a good reason to get the condo there finally...as we are an hour away maybe 1:10 to UTMB from our house here so if I were to do something there I'd probably stay 3 nights a week there 3 nights here and 1 at the ranch when the living quarters there are repaired finally.

If Galveston could get Gambling & More Cruise Ships I'd expect to see more new hotels, fuller hotels year round, a larger even more exciting Mardi Gras celebration each year...and it would just keep building on...at least until 23 more years goes by and we hit a couple year bump when a big 'cane comes thru...

Sounds like UTMB is planning to expand their transplant program as well. I suspect once fully rebuilt they can also get more into the International Patient market...with an international airport on the island that can handle corporate aircraft etc...lots of opportunity there.

Just would like to see 5-7 sailings per week year round sometime soon...

So-- I've been doing a little research today on other message boards, and it seems like there are a lot of signs pointing to Disney sailing out of Galveston. Here's the info I've gathered from other threads on this board as well as other threads on other message boards (thanks if you were someone who posted this news somewhere :)):

1) Beginning last summer (2010), Dinsey started asking about cruises out of Galveston in some of its surveys. Here's a copy of at least one of the surveys (I've turned the text red in the Galveston Itineraries):

7-NIGHT FLORIDA & BAHAMAS (Starting at $869)

Cruise Ports: New York, New York; Port Canaveral, Florida; Castaway Cay, Bahamas; New York, New York

8-NIGHT FLORIDA & BAHAMAS (Starting at $979)

Cruise Ports: Galveston, Texas; Key West, Florida; Port Canaveral, Florida; Castaway Cay, Bahamas; Galveston, Texas

9-NIGHT FLORIDA & BAHAMAS (Starting at $1099)

Cruise Ports: New York, New York; Charleston, South Carolina; Port Canaveral, Florida; Nassau, Bahamas; Castaway Cay, Bahamas; New York, New York

6-NIGHT WESTERN CARIBBEAN (Starting at $769)

Cruise Ports: Galveston, Texas; Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands; Cozumel, Mexico; Galveston, Texas

7-NIGHT EASTERN CARIBBEAN (Starting at $899)

Cruise Ports: Port Canaveral, Florida; St. Maarten, N.A.; St Thomas, U.S.V.I.; Castaway Cay, Bahamas; Port Canaveral, Florida

7-NIGHT WESTERN CARIBBEAN (Starting at $899)

Cruise Ports: Port Canaveral, Florida; Key West, Florida; Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands; Cozumel, Mexico; Castaway Cay, Bahamas; Port Canaveral, Florida

5-NIGHT BERMUDA (Starting at $649)

Cruise Ports: New York, New York; King's Wharf, Bermuda; New York, New York

2)Disney says it has an important annoucement about itineraries on April 6th, 2011, 12:30pm EST. The announcement will be made from New York (there is lots of speculation that Disney Magic will sail the Summer of 2012 out of New York and then move to Galveston for the late Fall/Winter months).

3) Laura Elder's mentions in the Galveston Daily News of big news for Galveston crusing coming soon (quoted earlier on this thread).

4) Someone on another thread here posted a message from their TA about big news about Galveston crusing being revealed on April 6th (the same date that Disney is revealing its big cruising news.) Here's the message they posted from their TA (post is in red):

From Gulf Coast Departure Forum*

"Quote from a travel agents email I got yesterday...."

"but the vendor actually came into my office yesterday and asked that we NOT say anything prior their official announcement coming up this Wednesday, Apr. 6th....... If you are on Facebook, watch my Facebook status updates on Wednesday, Apr. 6 or watch the status updates at our page on Apr. 6 and we will post the news when it becomes official! We will also shoot out a special edition of our email that evening so look for it!

If what I told by some inside people at the company is the announcement this vendor will be making you will want to get into our offices ASAP starting Thursday and get booked, especially if you are a family needing a cabin for 4 or 5 people, want to cruise at Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Years 2012 or Spring Break 2013. This really will be big news, especially here in Texas but for the entire Midwest!"

The TA's announcement specifically mentions "families" wanting to book quickly. . . hhmmmm.

Could it REALLY be true??? Could a Disney ship be coming to Galveston?? What do you guys think? --Katie

Archived