What exactly does it mean?

Suzque49

We have our flights booked to Alaska in Sept. The flight from LAX to Vancouver says it is a "Delta flight operated by Alaska Airlines" When I emailed Delta about my seat assignments they helped me, but said for further questions contact Alaska Airlines.

Why is it not just listed at an Alaska flight? Will it take off from the Alaska or Delta terminal?

We don't fly much, so I need all the info I can get, I am really anxious about "missing the boat" LOL. Our flight leaves LAX at 0930, arrives in Vancouver at 1230, I would like to change it to the flight leaving at 630 and arriving in Vancouver at 930, but I am too intimidated to do it by myself, I went to Princess ez air site, but it said modifying the flight will cancel the previous booking, I'm afraid that if I even click search flights it will cancel the existing flights. OK call me paranoid :confused:

This is the first time we have booked it ourselves without the help of a TA. Our former TA said to call Princess to book the flights when I asked her to help with the bookings. (since we booked the cruise direct with Princess and not through her:rolleyes:)

It is possibly a codeshare, or a contract. It will be listed as an Alaska flight, if you look carefully, or through the Alaska website. Delta will probably assign it's own flight number. At most airports, on their displays, it will list the flight, and show the different flight numbers created by the different airlines.

It will depart from Alaska gates.

If it is operated by Alaska, that's who you check in with; this is what you call a codeshare. Contact the actual operating carrier with any problems/questions.

If you booked this through the cruiseline, I don't think you can change it yourself.

DL does not operate flights north from LAX to SEA/YVR/ANC. Those are all codeshares operated by AS.

You have a DL ticket, but they won't be flying you. You will depart from T3 at LAX. Seat assignments are through the AS system, either online (with the AS locator) or by phone.

Since you bought your ticket through Princess, it is highly likely you have a bulk ticket that cannot be changed. My own warped thought is that your TA recommended buying through the cruiseline as payback for you not buying the cruise through them. Should have just gone to AS directly, IMO.

DL does not operate flights north from LAX to SEA/YVR/ANC. Those are all codeshares operated by AS.

You have a DL ticket, but they won't be flying you. You will depart from T3 at LAX. Seat assignments are through the AS system, either online (with the AS locator) or by phone.

Since you bought your ticket through Princess, it is highly likely you have a bulk ticket that cannot be changed. My own warped thought is that your TA recommended buying through the cruiseline as payback for you not buying the cruise through them. Should have just gone to AS directly, IMO.

Agree AS always directly then you have a chance to upgrade to first class at the airport on day of departure we did it for $150pp as they are one of the few cariers that offer this....

Thanks everyone.

FlyerTalker, I agree with your assessment of the TA's reasoning. Her comment to me was that she doesn't make that much on airline tickets anyway. Needless to say, we will be finding a diffrerent TA in the future. Like I said, we are not experienced flyers, so just went with what I thought was easiest at the time. I did get the tickets that can be changed without addiditonal charge up to 45 days prior to departure. But I think I will just leave it, The last time we went we had the same flight time and didn't have a problem.

Agree AS always directly then you have a chance to upgrade to first class at the airport on day of departure we did it for $150pp as they are one of the few cariers that offer this....
Remember that the paid upgrades at the gate come after all of the complimentary MVP upgrades have been processed. Also, with the addition of DL elites to the upgrade queue, those gate upgrades will be even tougher to get.

DL also offers paid upgrades, but those are truly as rare as hen's teeth on most routes. All elites get processed first, and only if there are seats left in F are they offered for sale. That's kinda rare....on my last DL flight (ATL-SEA), there were 26 occupied seats in F, and another 42 elites on the waiting list (per the gate display system). Now, it was on a Thursday night out of ATL, which is an elite heavy flight, but I can't remember a single flight in the last year+ when there haven't been elites remaining on the wait list for first.

TIP: If you want to try for those paid upgrades, don't book flights that are likely to have a heavy elite concentration (aka business flyers). Sunday nights and Monday morning and Thursday night - bad times for upgrades. Even for top tier, it can be nail biting time.

FlyerTalker, I agree with your assessment of the TA's reasoning. Her comment to me was that she doesn't make that much on airline tickets anyway. Needless to say, we will be finding a diffrerent TA in the future.

She's right; TAs don't really make anything on airline tickets anymore. Your TA is in business to make money, and if you booked the cruise yourself, she doesn't make any, so I am kind of surprised she made any suggestion at all. It's like you asking a doctor for free advice at a party. If she did a good job for you in the past, I am not sure why you would let this incident cause you to "fire" her. Have you considered the fact she knew you were not very experienced, was trying to help, and perhaps thought it'd be easier for you to turn the air over to the cruise line?

Just a thought!

DL also offers paid upgrades, but those are truly as rare as hen's teeth on most routes. All elites get processed first,

Yep, and when they do offer them it is frequently something like this:

ATL-CHS, which is only about 35-40 minutes of actual air time, no meal service obviously, usually only time for one drink during flight, and they want $150 for the upgrade. :eek: Not exactly worth it, IMHO.

Not that much....HERE is where the pricing can be found. And don't forget the "if your ticket is eligible" part. Meaning the lowest buckets aren't allowed.

Same-day Standby Upgrades

The same-day standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. This option applies to specific flights and routings:

• Within North America.
  • To/from Aruba, Bermuda, Grand Cayman (Cayman Islands), Montego Bay (Jamaica), Nassau (Bahamas), Providenciales (Turks and Caicos), Los Cabos (Mexico), San Juan (Puerto Rico), and St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands)
  • Between Atlanta and Costa Rica, St. Maarten and St. Lucia
  • Between Cancun (Mexico)and Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, Indianapolis, Memphis and Minneapolis

The following upgrade fees apply:

0 to 500 miles $50 501 to 1,000 miles $75 1,001 to 1,500 miles $100 1,501 to 2,000 miles $150 2,001 to 3,000 miles $225 3,001 miles and up $350

Thanks everyone.

FlyerTalker, I agree with your assessment of the TA's reasoning. Her comment to me was that she doesn't make that much on airline tickets anyway. Needless to say, we will be finding a diffrerent TA in the future. Like I said, we are not experienced flyers, so just went with what I thought was easiest at the time. I did get the tickets that can be changed without addiditonal charge up to 45 days prior to departure. But I think I will just leave it, The last time we went we had the same flight time and didn't have a problem.

Travel agents are are kind of like the Roman ruins when it comes to airline tickets. Most folks now book their air online (or by using their smart phones). In fact, some airlines only accept online bookings. The airlines no longer have any incentive to pay TAs a commission on tickets, so in many cases you will find that TAs charge a fee to book air.

To be honest, we cannot recall the last time we used a TA to book air (it must be over 20 years ago) and we seldom talk to a human when we book cruises (just do it online through the large online agencies or direct with the cruise line's web site).

Hank

Not that much....HERE is where the pricing can be found. And don't forget the "if your ticket is eligible" part. Meaning the lowest buckets aren't allowed.

That chart may list the official charges, but I have heard them ask for $150 for upgrades ATL-CHS. Maybe the gate agent made an incorrect announcement. In any even, I've never noticed any takers on such offers. Even at $50 it's not worth it IMO.

That chart may list the official charges, but I have heard them ask for $150 for upgrades ATL-CHS. Maybe the gate agent made an incorrect announcement. In any even, I've never noticed any takers on such offers. Even at $50 it's not worth it IMO.
If a GA is charging that, you should report that to the station manager and to DL HQ. Now, perhaps they are combining the posted charge PLUS a change in fare to move you into an upgradable bucket. That could make for a $150 price for the upgrade.

In any case, there's the official word on paid upgrades, for anyone on DL that may be interested.

If a GA is charging that, you should report that to the station manager and to DL HQ. Now, perhaps they are combining the posted charge PLUS a change in fare to move you into an upgradable bucket. That could make for a $150 price for the upgrade.

Could be, but frankly I didn't care, as I had already received my complimentary medallion upgrade. :D I just remember hearing the announcement and thinking how crazy it would be to pay that for such a short flight.

Thanks everyone.

You've stated that you are not experienced flyers. Yes - I can see that. I worked as a TA from 1999-2004, and airlines stopped giving commissions to TAs in about 2000. We actually encouraged clients to book their own air on-line (and assisted them with doing that) rather than charge the (then) $30 fee to book it for them. We DID book air tickets for clients with no Credit Cards whose only option was to pay in cash. And they had to pay the $30.00 extra. I didn't like it, but it was company policy. I think your TA was only being honest with you, and I'm not sure why you want to change. It sounds like you're dropping a good TA because you're not experienced flyers and don't understand the MANY changes that have taken place over the years! In any event, enjoy your cruise.

As far as the TA goes, I guess your right. Shouldn't be so quick to drop her.

I really feel that it was more the way she said it, I kinda felt like I was being "dismissed". I am just very anxious and who feel better if I have all specifics, (read: hand holding LOL)

If you wanted the hand holding, you should have booked through the agent to begin with. There is a saying, "without a travel agent, you are on your own."

What's going to happen if you have delayed flights enroute, missed connections, etc.?? Should have stuck with the agent.

Archived