Should you register new electronic devices with customs before you leave the states?

lionfish

We will leave in 2 weeks for Amsterdam for back-to-back river cruises. We will fly out of DFW to Amsterdam, then fly out of Zurich to Atlanta and then to DFW. I have read that one should register any new electronic devices with customs before you leave the States.

Is this true and if so, how and where do you do this? I do have a new digital camcorder, a Kindel, and iphone that I will be taking with me.

Thanks in advanced for your help.

If you are seriously concerned that customs will think you are importing something you bought overseas, just stick the receipts for them in a pocket in your carry-on, or inside the carry case for the actual item.

You're being misinformed by rugrats.

Yes, you should do this. You can find your local US Customs office and go there. They will need to see the items in question. They will fill out a small form that has date, model number, and serial number, then they will sign it.

1 example of the problem.

My coworker went to Asia for work. When he returned to the States, the Customs agent asked him what all of this equipment was that he had with him. He explained that it was work related test equipment. Customs agent asked for proof that the equipment was in his possession when he left the States. He could not prove it. Customs held the equipment for 6 months until the company we work for get it back.

Personal experience

Returning from Vancouver BC via car.

Customes asked me what I had in the back of the car. "Test Equipment"

Please pull over here.

2 hours later I was leaving the US border.I was able to talk them out of confiscating the equipment.

So, the next day, I went down to my local Customs office and talked to them about the forms.

Basically, anything that has a serial number, you should have a form for. If you have anything of high value (jewelery), you should have a form for.

Bottom line... If you are bringing something back to the States that you took with you on your trip, YOU need to be able to prove that it was bought it in the States. Otherwise, be prepared to pay duty or have it confiscated.

I would not worry. For a start, customs will never think that you purchased those items in Europe for import to the US. Simple reason is that they are all more expensive in Europe. If you were coming back from Asia that may be a different matter.

Sorry, don't agree. OP has a Kindle, iPhone and a camcorder. These items are certainly not the same at your test equipment. I cannot imagine OP having problems with these things on his European river cruise, and think you are unnecessarily worrying him/her.

Lionfish, Add me to the list of people that do not think that you were misinformed by rugrats. I have never had any issue over many years when returning for many places. If you are really concerned you can make sure that the items are not packed in their original boxes (I can't imagine that they would be) and you can bring your receipts. This is really not necessary IMO, but if it makes you feel better.

Have a great cruise.

Sorry, don't agree. OP has a Kindle, iPhone and a camcorder. These items are certainly not the same at your test equipment. I cannot imagine OP having problems with these things on his European river cruise, and think you are unnecessarily worrying him/her.

All I'm saying is what I was personally told by the agent at the US Customs and Border Patrol and what is posted on the website.

Now, if it's never happened to you,,congratulations. Doesn't mean it's never happened or doesn't happen.

If OP or anyone else wants to chance it, then by all means.

I've traveled all over the world with a collection that includes an iPhone, iPad, Kindle and a couple digital cameras. No one at US Customs has shown the least interest in any of my things. No one in any other country's customs has cared in the least.

Not a dot.

We have such an international market place now, all personal items are available everywhere at about the same price. Why would a US citizen travel to a country and pay their VAT, when they can get the same price at home, online, with no tax at all? Americans are getting use to being the most "under-taxed" people in the developed world.

Now commercial testing equipment? Perhaps they didn't fill out their forms correctly?

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Reminds me of flying back to the US from Zurich my first time about 3 years ago. The imagration (not customs) agent asked me if I am bringing anything back from Switzerland. I replied no which he in turn asked if maybe I purchased a watch or something like that over there.

I whiped the sleep out of my eyes and looked him strait in his eyes and said "do you have any idea that everything - I mean everything - in Switzerland, cost twice the price than it cost here in the US? I promise you that me or any of these other passengers from my flight are not sneaking in something that cost twice as much".

He just looked at me for a few seconds and kind of smiles and said "ok then". This was the only and last time I have ever been questioned about this.

I think the post above about "test equipment" is a whole different story then bringing your own personal electronic deveices to/from Europe. Trust me, nobody is going to pay higher prices for something they can get much cheaper in the US. But agree, Asia might be a different story but OP is talking Europe.

John

I am not taking any "test" equipment, unless you count how some of these devices can test my memory of how to use them!

I have to agree with several of you, why would I buy something in Europe when it is so much cheaper here in the states (relatively speaking) and will work with our electrical system properly.

If I have time and can find a "local" customs office (I live in the country--only 2 towns in the county) I might register the items--especially the new camcorder.

Thanks for everyone for taking time to answer my question.

I have to agree with rugrats. I have travelled to Europe several times for cruises and also to Australia once. I love electronic gadgets and cameras, etc and even an expensive watch, and I take a lot of them with me. I have never been asked or challenged about any of them. However, I do carry a receipt for a couple of the more expensive items to show I purchased them in the US prior to the trip.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but to me consumer electronic goods are not in the same category as "test gear", which may be a "flag" to customs personnel.

Have a great cruise! :)

I've traveled all over the world with a collection that includes an iPhone, iPad, Kindle and a couple digital cameras. No one at US Customs has shown the least interest in any of my things. No one in any other country's customs has cared in the least.

Not a dot.

Ditto. Virtually every international traveler these days has a smart/cell phone and digital camera. Many also travel with some combo of laptop, Kindle/iPad, iPod, video camera, netbook and portable DVD player. None of those things is going to cause a customs agent to even bat an eye because they are so common now.

Obviously if you are carrying 10 iPads or something like that, then yeah, they're gonna wonder and you're gonna get questioned! Likewise for any "non-normal" electronic gear such as the "test equipment" the other poster talked about.

I travel internationally for fun and for work. Way back in the day (80's), it was wise to pre-register your personal electronics, cameras, etc. I recall being asked for proof once at LAX. In the past 20 years I've never been asked nor have I registered anything. Even bargain "havens" like HKG are more expensive than purchasing locally.

Work is a different matter since it's for commercial purposes. We always carry Customs paperwork for equipment and samples we carry. One piece of pretty mundane equipment is subject to ITAR export control, so we carry along the DoC certificate stating it's legal to carry into the country we visited. Once, returning from Canada the US Customs agent asked if any software upgrades were done to a piece of equipment while it was in Canada, and if any accessories or options were added or removed.

I think the Iphone is easy to deal with, just leave some emails or texts on it from before you left the US, and that should be proof enough it's not new. The Kindle, I don't even think you can buy them outside the US - they get shipped from the US to wherever. As for the camcorder, like I said above, just throw the receipt in the carry case with it.

The scenarios above regarding test equipment, businesses should know better than to take equipment across borders without the proper paperwork.

Here in Bermuda we take all our devices we take with us on our travels - cameras, ipods, kindles, cpap, cellphones, blackberries, net books, blah blah blah to the Customs Office in town where the Customs Officer takes a look at them and notes down the serial #s on the special little yellow cards for us to take off island with our travel docs.

When we return and if we are selected to be searched by customs we can produce those little yellow cards to prove that they were in our possession when we departed the island on holiday.

We have about 20 of those cards, and each time we travel I go thru them and pick out the ones we are taking on the current travel.

I am not taking any "test" equipment, unless you count how some of these devices can test my memory of how to use them!

I have to agree with several of you, why would I buy something in Europe when it is so much cheaper here in the states (relatively speaking) and will work with our electrical system properly.

If I have time and can find a "local" customs office (I live in the country--only 2 towns in the county) I might register the items--especially the new camcorder.

Thanks for everyone for taking time to answer my question.

If you are flying from an international airport, you can allow some extra time pre-flight and wander over to Customs to register your items. The form is small and quick, and is good for life ... not a one-time thing. You can list several items on one form. Customs will want to examine the items, which must be serial-numbered, and see your legal ID before signing off.

Couple of years ago, we did register a couple of things, including an expensive Tag watch that my husband got as a service award, so we didn't have a sales receipt to prove ownership. That's why we registered the watch. We store the form with our passports so we won't forget to take it along with us.

If you are more comfortable registering your items, then just do it ... if you can find Customs people conveniently. Otherwise, suggest you take sales receipts if that will put your mind at ease.

I am not worried now. I will probably take the receipt for the camcorder. We are flying out of DFW and I might register it with customs If I have time and get tired of people watching.

Thanks to all of you that responded to my question.

Archived