Navigator pulled from Europe and I'm not happy

If she leaves on the 6th of Nov she will most probably reach Port Everglades on the 20th(14 nights is what most ship take to do a TA), do a 6 night Western Caribbean on Sunday and will be back on Saturday the 26th for her 8 night Easter Caribbean.

Yes that would work.

I was rather hoping that the TA would be slightly later...I do of course feel sorry for those who have already booked on her for the winter of 2011 here on this side of the pond.

This is the second time recently that RCCL have made big changes on this side of the pond that will cause upset.

Last time it was the Indy 18 nighters becoming 12 nighters and now this.:(

Hi Bill

Yes but looking at that info....it has the NV back in Barcelona on 26th Nov and then sailing from FLL that same day :confused:

Ooops, I did not even notice that, I just assumed it was sailing from BCN on a TA. I guess the planning department has a few more issues to work out!!!

If she leaves on the 6th of Nov she will most probably reach Port Everglades on the 20th(14 nights is what most ship take to do a TA), do a 6 night Western Caribbean on Sunday and will be back on Saturday the 26th for her 8 night Easter Caribbean.

The QM2 does her TAs in 6 days. Apparently the passengers on the NV will be paddling by hand if it takes that long:D

So sorry everyone but I have been lobbying RCI to return an 8 night eastern caribbean cruise out of Port Everglades and had no idea they were really listening :eek:.... Didn't want it to be the NOS, preferred a Freedom class ship, or to inconvenience those already booked on her....:o:(

It looks like all this repositioning is happening so fast right now. we will see what it looks like in the morning.

Yeah, also Carnival is pulling out of galveston or mobile.. One of those gulf ports. So I'm sure we will be hearing more of this happening.

Carnival is pulling out of Mobile. They are definitely not pulling out of Galveston. Galveston is a huge money maker for them. They are moving their newest and largest ship there and also moving a larger ship to do 4 and 5 day cruises.

Now Europe has the same problem in the winter that we do in the summer! :eek: Someone needs to get rid of Royal Caribbean's current itinerary planner.

Think what you will but they continue to have the luxury of moving their ships to new and different itineraries when some of them fail to produce. Unless there is a dramatic upsurge in the US economy that would justify such a move don't expect a big exodus of their ships back to the US. Recent 2012/2013 releases show a number of new and intriguing itineraries so maybe they shouldn't get rid of him (or them) quite so quickly.:rolleyes:

This thread simply illustrates the fact that whenever they make a change in the deployment of the vessels in their fleet, the result will be some unhappy guests. The trick is to displease as few as possible while at the same time, attracting new prospective cruisers. In this regard they seem to be succeeding pretty well.

The QM2 does her TAs in 6 days. Apparently the passengers on the NV will be paddling by hand if it takes that long:D

The QM2 does "crossings" rather than the typical transatlantic sailings that most cruise ships do. The purpose of a crossing is to get from one side of the Atlantic to the other in a minimum amount of time. The purpose of most cruise ship TA's is totally different, as you probably already know.:)

The QM2 does "crossings" rather than the typical transatlantic sailings that most cruise ships do. The purpose of a crossing is to get from one side of the Atlantic to the other in a minimum amount of time. The purpose of most cruise ship TA's is totally different, as you probably already know.:)

True, but once you leave the last port on the east, it takes 6 days to get to the first port on the west. That is unless there are drunks at the helm:D

True, but once you leave the last port on the east, it takes 6 days to get to the first port on the west. That is unless there are drunks at the helm:D

Our first TA was in 2002 on Brilliance of the Seas and was seven days in length, all of them sea days. No ports of call between Harwich, UK and Boston,MA. Subsequent TAs usually have had no more then three consecutive sea days between the last port of call and arriving in the US. Our first TA ranks high on our list of all time favorites but we thoroughly enjoy the more recent ones which have taken us to France, Ireland, Iceland, and Canada. Getting there is more than half the fun and we aren't in a race to get home by the quickest route.:)

Soloist....thank you - all good suggestions, but they've all been already explored. The 7 day Costa's don't go where we wanted to go - Athens, Turkey and Eygpt - we've been to the other places offered by Costa/MSC. There is a 10 day Norweigan out of Rome on the 28th that does those ports - so we might try that....but like you said, the rebooking fees (for 4 people) are outragous......

I have air insurance and if my TA can get RCI to write a letter to say that they cancelled due to the civil unrest in Mid East, they might buy that....but he didn't sound too confident that RCI would do that for the obvious reasons. The airlines and cruise interanies are two separate businesses.....the position of the airlines is not responsible for what cruise lines do.....if I get sick, have an accident, get sobpoenaed, or for just about any other reason I can't fly....they will cover it. But this excuse is at the other end of the flight, so it doesn't prohibit me/family from flying. Like I said, civil unrest is an excuse, but it's not in where our designation is, ie Barcelona......it's in Egypt/Libya - 1000 miles away!......but TA thinks it might work so we'll see.

I'm very disappointed with how RCI handled this and I'm usually pretty flexibable.....their position was very business and not customer friendly - kinda like you shouldn't have booked air so far out!....not much we can do as YOU booked the airfare......so I'm really not in the mood to rebook with them. Kinda sad as we were looking forward to sailing on this ship.

Who knows...we might just do a 15 day road trip adventure around Spain!!!! it's either that or eat the airfare! I guess we'll see what happens....like they say - Lemonade from lemons...............

Have you called your credit card company that you used to pay for the airfare? I had a chat with mine a few years ago about what to do if a cruise was cancelled, and they said if I purchased anything with their card and the goods were not delivered, then I would have a claim with them (the credit card company). I'd call and discuss this with them. The cruise isn't being delivered, but the air is dependent on those cruise dates.

Have you called your credit card company that you used to pay for the airfare? I had a chat with mine a few years ago about what to do if a cruise was cancelled, and they said if I purchased anything with their card and the goods were not delivered, then I would have a claim with them (the credit card company). I'd call and discuss this with them. The cruise isn't being delivered, but the air is dependent on those cruise dates.

Yes, but the airline is delivering their service, so this will not work.

Carnival is pulling out of Mobile. They are definitely not pulling out of Galveston. Galveston is a huge money maker for them. They are moving their newest and largest ship there and also moving a larger ship to do 4 and 5 day cruises.

We will see how much that changes when Princess, Royal, Carnival, and Disney are all sailing out of Galveston... sounds a bit saturated.

Who knows...we might just do a 15 day road trip adventure around Spain!!!! it's either that or eat the airfare! I guess we'll see what happens....like they say - Lemonade from lemons...............

That was going to be my suggestion!

We have just been informed that our Royal Carribean Cruise leaving the 7th of Jan out of Barcelona has been cancelled. It is not fair that we are being penalized for being organized and booking early. It will cost us more than the $200 compensation to change our flights and we have one night of non-refundable accomodation booked.

We are not keen to book another Royal Carribean cruise now because of the way we have been treated.

we are now considering a NCL cruise leaving Rome on Jan 28th but the prices are quite high because of new year. Should we just travel around Spain independently? Do other people who have been cancelled have a better idea?

We have just been informed that our Royal Carribean Cruise leaving the 7th of Jan out of Barcelona has been cancelled. It is not fair that we are being penalized for being organized and booking early. It will cost us more than the $200 compensation to change our flights and we have one night of non-refundable accomodation booked.

We are not keen to book another Royal Carribean cruise now because of the way we have been treated.

we are now considering a NCL cruise leaving Rome on Jan 28th but the prices are quite high because of new year. Should we just travel around Spain independently? Do other people who have been cancelled have a better idea?

Never mind you can always come to Scotland, think of all the things that you could do

a. Nessie hunting/spotting

b. Grouse shooting in the Highland glens

c. Salmon tickling in the River tay

d. Haggis shooting, you are lucky they are in season in Jan.

e. Visit the Ghosts of old Edinburgh town

f. Stay in an old Butt 'n' ben

g. Go for a sail on Loch Lomand, mitts, bovril and souwesters provided.

Hey maybe its a blessing in disguise !!!

(But honestly sorry to hear about RCL messing things up)

:)

:mad: Yep......just got the call that my Feb 2012 Navigator Med cruise out of Barcelona has been cancelled....apparently they are moving the ship to the Carribean.......and I'm stuck with $4100 in non refundable airfare......no reason as of yet except to say that if I transfer my airfare to another RCCL cruise they will give me a $200 credit....yeah, like I'm happy enough with RCCL to book another cruise with them.

If you have cruise care insurance the airfare is fully refundable as the cruise was cancelled. That is why we always take the cruise care option, very good insurance investment.

We were just on the Navigator the week on 4/4 - 4/9/11. It was announced to the crew on this voyage that they will not be staying in Europe for the winter. The reason is the problems that are going on in Egypt. They don't want to keep the ships over there with all the problems and then have to make changes at the last minute.

This announcement came from the Captain.

I am sorry for those who plan early and made airfare reservations, but I myself am very happy to see the Navigator come back to So Florida.

Irene

:mad: Yep......just got the call that my Feb 2012 Navigator Med cruise out of Barcelona has been cancelled....apparently they are moving the ship to the Carribean.......and I'm stuck with $4100 in non refundable airfare......no reason as of yet except to say that if I transfer my airfare to another RCCL cruise they will give me a $200 credit....yeah, like I'm happy enough with RCCL to book another cruise with them.

Why don't you book a different cruise in Europe around the same dates so that you can still use your airfare.

This is the reason I don't buy air until I am within 100 days of the cruise or if I do buy it further out, then I buy refundable tickets. The cruise lines pull this stunt far too often as far as I am concerned.

Archived