Question about Flying

We are going on RCCL in September out of San Juan. We have buddy passes to fly on Southwest to Florida and then we are flying Jet Blue from Florida to San Juan. My question is will we have to claim our bags in Florida, Check in at Jet Blue and then go back through security or is there a way for Southwest to send our bags on through for us? If Southwest can do this how does it work? Do we just tell them our second flight information when checking in for our first flight with Southwest? This is new to me as I have never flown on two different airlines for one trip.:confused:

Thanks a bunch. Happy Cruising!

I'm guessing no, they won't send them onto the next flight for you. You'll likely have to pick them up and check-in for the next flight. At least, that's always been my experience when flying 2 different airlines!

Have a great trip!

ETA: Just thought some more - are you sure they're in the same terminal? If not, be sure to give yourself plenty of travel time!!!! Also, if I'm right about having to check-in again for the second flight, make sure you're giving yourself enough time to meet the check-in requirements (i.e. min 90 minutes before an international flight, I believe?).

Thanks B MC. I keeping getting different answers. I have had people tell me their luggage has been sent through for them and other people have told me they had to pick it up. Not sure what is right. Flying to San Juan is a domestic flight though not an international so not sure if that makes a difference.

i have a simular question im flying to europe in 3 weeks for my first med cruise on liberty of the seas :),,,im flying american from phoenix to chicago ,,then catching british airways on to london then barcelona,, i know american and british aorways are code share airline ,,meaning they are tied into each other,,so will i be able to have my bags checked all the way from phoenix to barcelona?

Marcus

Some lines have interline agreements that will allow them to check your luggage through to its final destination even when more than one flight and one airline is involved. I don't think that Southwest has such an arrangement but your best source of information for this sort of question is to ask it directly of the two airlines involved. If you have to claim your luggage at the end of your first flight and check it back in for your second flight, check that you have plenty of time to do so, and check the locations of both airlines (ticket counters and gates), if more than one terminal or more than one concourse is involved.

Southwest does not interline baggage so you will have to go to baggage claim and start over with the 2nd airline with all the checking in and etc of a brand new flight. That includes going through the TSA again.

Allow much more time than you think you will need.

i have a simular question im flying to europe in 3 weeks for my first med cruise on liberty of the seas :),,,im flying american from phoenix to chicago ,,then catching british airways on to london then barcelona,, i know american and british aorways are code share airline ,,meaning they are tied into each other,,so will i be able to have my bags checked all the way from phoenix to barcelona?

Marcus

If the entire trip is on one ticket you can definitely check bags all the way through. I hope this is the case, as this will also give you the international baggage allowance for the Phoenix - Chicago sector, 1 free checked bag in economy class.

If for some reason you have separate AA and BA tickets, show the agent both tickets when you check in and you probably will be able to check the baggage through.

By the way, a code share does not mean that airlines are "tied into each other", just that certain flights carry flight numbers of two or more airlines. However, AA and BA are partners within the OneWorld allliance, along with several other airlines, hotel chains, etc.

Bob

We are going on RCCL in September out of San Juan. We have buddy passes to fly on Southwest to Florida and then we are flying Jet Blue from Florida to San Juan. My question is will we have to claim our bags in Florida, Check in at Jet Blue and then go back through security or is there a way for Southwest to send our bags on through for us? If Southwest can do this how does it work? Do we just tell them our second flight information when checking in for our first flight with Southwest? This is new to me as I have never flown on two different airlines for one trip.:confused:

Yes, you will have to claim your luggage and recheck. Southwest has NO interline agreements with any other airline.

You do realize that you may or MAY NOT be able to get on your chosen Southwest flight with a buddy pass? These are non-rev passes allowing guests of employees to fly SPACE AVAILABLE. This is the situation you may find yourself in: Someone bought the last two seats at the last minute on YOUR flight-the flight you were PLANNING on to co-ordinate with the Jet Blue flight. Sorry, you just got kicked off the flight and will wait until the next flight that has SPACE AVAILABLE.

Booking a flight with a buddy pass and another airline is VERY risky to get to a cruise. The flight you need to get to Florida may be full, canceled, delayed, whatever and with a buddy pass, you are truly behind the 8 ball. You may miss your Jet Blue flight and possibly your cruise. One of my employees' husband works the ramp at LGA for WN. She says buddy passes are almost impossible to use unless you keep checking, checking, checking and then have alternate plans if the seats don't materialize. NOT exactly a GUARANTEE to get to the Jet Blue flight.

Use your buddy passes to fly someplace where you DO NOT have to connect with another airline or make a "time essential" trip. Otherwise, you may be spending your vacation at home or in Florida, NOT on a cruise ship leaving out of San Juan.

No. WN/Southwest do not interline [transfer between carriers] luggage with anyone, and B6/Jet Blue have a very limited group of people they interline with.

While the large international carriers like DL, AA and UA all interline with each other, it's very rare that discount carriers interline at all.

Yes, you will have to claim your luggage and recheck. Southwest has NO interline agreements with any other airline.

You do realize that you may or MAY NOT be able to get on your chosen Southwest flight with a buddy pass? These are non-rev passes allowing guests of employees to fly SPACE AVAILABLE. This is the situation you may find yourself in: Someone bought the last two seats at the last minute on YOUR flight-the flight you were PLANNING on to co-ordinate with the Jet Blue flight. Sorry, you just got kicked off the flight and will wait until the next flight that has SPACE AVAILABLE.

Booking a flight with a buddy pass and another airline is VERY risky to get to a cruise. The flight you need to get to Florida may be full, canceled, delayed, whatever and with a buddy pass, you are truly behind the 8 ball. You may miss your Jet Blue flight and possibly your cruise. One of my employees' husband works the ramp at LGA for WN. She says buddy passes are almost impossible to use unless you keep checking, checking, checking and then have alternate plans if the seats don't materialize. NOT exactly a GUARANTEE to get to the Jet Blue flight.

Use your buddy passes to fly someplace where you DO NOT have to connect with another airline or make a "time essential" trip. Otherwise, you may be spending your vacation at home or in Florida, NOT on a cruise ship leaving out of San Juan.

People with a lot of experience in flying don't even try to use buddy passes. With very few empty seats on planes these days, buddy passes are very hard to use.

My daughter works for Southwest Airlines and I never fly on her passes for my cruises.

It is just too risky.

For example; if for some reason there were flights before yours that were delayed for whatever reason, all the revenue passengers would be pushed to the next flight and take up all the seats if there were any available. When you use a buddy pass if you are not flying with a SWA employee you are at the bottom of the list for available space. Everyone else, revenue passengers and employees, have priority over a buddy pass.

And yes you would have to claim your bags and recheck them through Jet Blue.

Hope it all works out..

Really bad idea!! Where are you flying FROM on these Southwest buddy passes? It sounds like you've already purchased your JetBlue tickets? Southwest - while it's one of my favorite airlines - is an entity unto itself. No interlining with other airlines (as you now know). Don't count on those Southwest buddy passes! Every Southwest flight I've been on during the last four years has been completely full! Your best bet would be to get a ticket from an airline that interlines with JetBlue from your departure city to FLL, where you can connect with your already purchased JetBlue flight. As Judge Marilyn Milian always says, "Sometimes the cheap comes out expensive".

I appreciate everyone's opinion on the buddy passes. However, we fly on buddy passes all the time and never have an issue. We flew on them for our last cruise as well as other vacations. We know enough about how everything works with them that we do not have any issues with them and we always fly out well in advance of the cruise so just in case there ever was a delay it would be fine. So for me buddy passes work and I like them. But thanks anyway.

I appreciate everyone's opinion on the buddy passes. However, we fly on buddy passes all the time and never have an issue. We flew on them for our last cruise as well as other vacations. We know enough about how everything works with them that we do not have any issues with them and we always fly out well in advance of the cruise so just in case there ever was a delay it would be fine. So for me buddy passes work and I like them. But thanks anyway.

Buddy passes can work very well in this case of flying out well ahead of your cruise.

BUT, you have been lucky, even though you claim to have no "issue". I've been flying non rev for 30 years, and load way ahead of you, (unless, you always go with the employee?) And have been stuck a day at various locations. Florida can have full flights for DAYS, unlike like business locations- vacationer's, which Florida has a high percentage of, generally show up for their flights. :)

I've stayed in Florida extra days to use a "slack" day with travel.

I fly all over, and it's a great benefit. Glad it works out for you, and you certainly have the good planning to safeguard a cruise.

Buddy passes can work very well in this case of flying out well ahead of your cruise.

BUT, you have been lucky, even though you claim to have no "issue". I've been flying non rev for 30 years, and load way ahead of you, (unless, you always go with the employee?) And have been stuck a day at various locations. Florida can have full flights for DAYS, unlike like business locations- vacationer's, which Florida has a high percentage of, generally show up for their flights. :)

I've stayed in Florida extra days to use a "slack" day with travel.

I fly all over, and it's a great benefit. Glad it works out for you, and you certainly have the good planning to safeguard a cruise.

I really don't understand your reply. In this instance, I don't think the OP is flying out "well ahead of their cruise". Otherwise, the questions about luggage transfer to Jet Blue would not have been asked.

Maybe I read this wrong, but it appears to me that the OP is flying into Florida with WN on buddy passes. THEN getting on a paid Jet Blue flight to SJU the same day. That scenario allows NO wiggle room for arriving in Florida.

IF the OP is flying to Florida 1-3 days before the Jet Blue flight, there would be no reason to ask about luggage transfer. Take your luggage when you get to Florida, go to a hotel or someplace, then get on the Jet Blue flight when it is time to fly.

Sounds really really risky to try the buddy pass route to Florida when meeting another airlines' flight the same day. There is NO room for error or standby seating.

OP, you are correct Puerto Rico is part of the US, but for air travel there it is really not considered a domestic flight. You will be required, even flying Jet Blue, to adhere to a different standard. Like it or not you should consider checking in 90 minutes before the SJU flight. Be sure to verify this with Jet Blue. It is the standard we adhere to everytime we fly down.

As noted Southwest does not interline luggage.

I hope you have planned on about three hours in FLL. We have waited at least 1/2 hour every time we fly there for luggage and the TSA line is generally slow.

I wish you well, you've got more faith in your buddy pass than I would.

I really don't understand your reply. In this instance, I don't think the OP is flying out "well ahead of their cruise". Otherwise, the questions about luggage transfer to Jet Blue would not have been asked.

Maybe I read this wrong, but it appears to me that the OP is flying into Florida with WN on buddy passes. THEN getting on a paid Jet Blue flight to SJU the same day. That scenario allows NO wiggle room for arriving in Florida.

IF the OP is flying to Florida 1-3 days before the Jet Blue flight, there would be no reason to ask about luggage transfer. Take your luggage when you get to Florida, go to a hotel or someplace, then get on the Jet Blue flight when it is time to fly.

Sounds really really risky to try the buddy pass route to Florida when meeting another airlines' flight the same day. There is NO room for error or standby seating.

My comment is general, they CLAIM they fly out way ahead and are at ease with using the passes. I do not know- what they are planning here??? It is not really clear?

Archived