Money USD to Euro

carribbeanmic

Best rate is always an ATM, even an out of network after you factor in ATM fees is generally better than any exchange at home or CC. Capital one is good for CC purchase.

If you need a LOT of cash ( like thousands and thousands ) the inconvenience of multiple ATM stops makes it more valuable IMHO to get it at home before you go. What is worth more to you on vacation, time in port or saving a few dollars in exchange fees?

Can you get Euros in the US before cruising? I hate paying extra fees on credit cards for conversions. Thanks.Mic

We would echo the other post about a CapitalOne Master Card. These credit cards have no annual fee, and are one of the few cards that have zero fees on foreign transactions. Over the past few years we have become big fans of this credit card and its our primary card whenever we are outside the USA (which is about 5 months a year). Most folks with a decent credit rating can get this card in a few days (just apply online).

As to ATMs, the trick is to get an ATM card from a financial institution that does not charge any usage fees. Many credit unions (and some banks) still have no-fee ATMs. In our case the only cost is a 1% transaction fee charged by Visa International (who handles the transactions for many financial institutions) which is still a much better rate then you can get by exchanging cash.

Hank

A couple of items.

You want to use an ATM to obtain cash, not a credit card.

As noted by Hank, get an ATM from a financial institution that does not charge. Capital One ATM is now offering to pick up some fees, per month.

Obtain the euros when you arrive at in Europe. If you need some right away, just get them at the airport after your plane leaves.

We use Capital One Credit Cards for international travel. They do not charge a transaction fee. Wherever possible we use the credit card as we've found we've done the best that way in terms of the conversion rate. We won't use it for small purchases, or in places that we are concerned about using the card and of course there are times that cash is required.

Other credit card companies are now starting to waive the international credit card fees.

Keith

And be sure your PIN is 4-digits, not 5. Italian ATM's usually take only a 4-digit PIN.

And you should know that 4 digit PIN in numbers...not letters. Most European ATM keypads do not have any letters.

Hank

I'll be on the LOS May 23rd sailing out of Barcelona.

I've been reading about Capitol One and the no foreign transaction fee.

I just checked their website and they have about 12 different types of cards. It seems that some have 0% introductory APRs and then it goes fairly high. They also have annual fees. Not sure if that would negate the savings from having no foreign transaction fees, I guess depending on how much I charge?

Is there any one specifically that anyone recommends? I do have excellent credit so that's not a problem.

Last year I ordered euros from Suntrust Bank a few weeks before I left on my cruise. They charge a flat rate of $10 no matter how many euros you order.

They also suggested I open a separate checking account with debit card for the trip so that if my debit card is stolen there is no access my main checking account and other accounts.

I just checked their website and they have about 12 different types of cards. It seems that some have 0% introductory APRs and then it goes fairly high. They also have annual fees. Not sure if that would negate the savings from having no foreign transaction fees, I guess depending on how much I charge?

Is there any one specifically that anyone recommends? I do have excellent credit so that's not a problem.

We always pay our credit card bill in full so we are not concerned about Annual Interest Rates.

Find a card with no annual fee, and most of them are fine. Some give airline miles while others have other reward programs. Just read the details and pick the one that works best for you.

Keith

I've had a Cap One card for several years now; there is no annual fee associated with it. :confused:

There are 2 Venture cards from Cap 1 One of them has no Annual fee to have but a good credit rating will help and no transaction fees. I have that and an ATM card from Cap 1 for all my travel needs

What about traveller's checks? Our group was planning on exchganing our USDs for traveller's checks but I don't see very many mentions of them on the forum. Are those ok to use as well?

In general, no, retailers will not take them. However, some limo services/excursion companies do, so check with them in advance to see if they will accept travelers checks and, if so, in what currency.

Does anyone know if when you use the ATM do you have the option of having the money come from your checking or savings, like with the ATM's here. I bank with Chase here at home and on their international site they say they have ATM's in Rome.

So can anyone tell me what the current exchange rate is at an ATM in Europe right now? For example my bank just told me that if I wanted to get 500 Euro it will cost me $718 US. What will it be in an ATM in Europe?

Thank you in advance!!!!

In general, no, retailers will not take them. However, some limo services/excursion companies do, so check with them in advance to see if they will accept travelers checks and, if so, in what currency.

Travellers cheques are ancient history. They are difficult to cash. Think find a bank, produce your passport and pay an outrageous fee. use ATMs.

Real time currency exchange rates are dynamic, which means they constantly change. You could withdraw money from the same ATM two hours apart and get a slightly different exchange rate.

You can look at the rates given on the currency converters (like the one in the link above), but you'll never get quite that rate. ATMs get pretty close. Banks and money exchanges very from somewhat to slightly worse.

Archived