Money USD to Euro

carribbeanmic

Does anyone know if when you use the ATM do you have the option of having the money come from your checking or savings, like with the ATM's here. I bank with Chase here at home and on their international site they say they have ATM's in Rome.

I'm still very early in the research phase but I read in travel books that the ATM's usually only let you withdraw from a checking account.

I'm still very early in the research phase but I read in travel books that the ATM's usually only let you withdraw from a checking account.

Is a money market account considered checking or savings? My atm card is associated with a Capital One MMA and so will it work overseas?

For those of you who have never used the ATM. A couple of points.

Verify with your bank which account(s) you can withdraw from.

Practice by taking out some money from a machine in the USA. Be sure you know your password.

Just like a credit card before you go call the number on the card to let them know the dates you are traveling and where.

Write down your card number and the number that you should dial from overseas should you have a problem and keep it in a safe spot.

We are particular about the machines we use. We try to use ones outside a bank.

Keith

Hank said:

"And you should know that 4 digit PIN in numbers...not letters. Most European ATM keypads do not have any letters.

Hank"

I just made a similiar comment about a four digit PIN in Europe, and another commentor said that I was passing on false information. Apparently, the individual was commenting more specifically about ATMS in the UK, while I was commenting about Europe in general. I still think the four digit is the way to go, since other have told me they had problems in Spain and Italy.

Hank said:

"And you should know that 4 digit PIN in numbers...not letters. Most European ATM keypads do not have any letters.

Hank"

I just made a similiar comment about a four digit PIN in Europe, and another commentor said that I was passing on false information. Apparently, the individual was commenting more specifically about ATMS in the UK, while I was commenting about Europe in general. I still think the four digit is the way to go, since other have told me they had problems in Spain and Italy.

We've always used numbers with any and all ATM's we have had and that would be in the USA or Europe.

I didn't realize anyone would have considered letters.

Keith

I'd just emphasize what Keith says above. It is VERY important to check with your own bank about how their accounts are set up and what you will be able to access. You do not want to have any unpleasant surprises.

For instance, with my bank, only my "primary" account shows up as an option for cash withdrawals when I'm traveling outside the US. But other banks may not have the same setup. So if you have more than one account, make sure you'll be able to access the one you plan to use.

Don't take what someone says here as gospel. As many have said before "Your mileage may vary."

Can you get Euros in the US before cruising? I hate paying extra fees on credit cards for conversions. Thanks.Mic

Yes. Check with your bank-depending on your status @ that bank you may be entitled to a slightly lower consumer rate, free delivery to your home or office ( Fed Ex). Avoid the change booths that are popping up @ malls-too high/rip off.

For your own ease I would have between $100-$200.00 in euros. Covers cabs, restauarant etc when you land. Again check with your bank that your ATM crad will work in Europe-send their customer svc an e-mail detailing the ports ask for a list of cooperating banks/branches as well as their operating hours. You will probably need to have $ in your checking account as savings accts withdrawals may not work @ ATM.

Carole

Traveling single I was concerned about what I would do if my debit card was lost or stolen. My bank would not give me a duplicate debit card but did give me a card with a separate number linked to my savings account. I also travel with my netbook and have the capability to transfer funds from one account to another on line.

Hank said:

Hank"

Hank is absolutely right!!! As a retired banker, I can tell you that we advise all our clients who are travelling to Europe to have a four digit pin.

some of their machines cannot handle anything larger.

It is so easy - if you have a 5 or 6 digit pin, just drop the last one or two.

Better safe than sorry.

Hank is absolutely right!!! As a retired banker, I can tell you that we advise all our clients who are travelling to Europe to have a four digit pin.

some of their machines cannot handle anything larger.

It is so easy - if you have a 5 or 6 digit pin, just drop the last one or two.

Better safe than sorry.

Most ATMs are 4 digits in places such as the USA so yes you should stick with four digit ATM pins.

Keith

Good morning

Does anyone know if the ATMs in Europe, namely Spain and Italy, give you the option of withdrawing from savings or checking or do you only get one choice? Which one if so?

Thanks.

Vivian

Can't believe that the 4 digit advice has become an issue. So here is our take on the subject having used ATMs in many many countries. Yes, a 5 or 6 digit PIN might work in some machines. Other ATMs will only accept 4 digits but will function with a longer PIN (the system somehow truncates those last digits but will still function). And then there are still many ATMs (scattered all over Europe) that will not work at all with a 5 or 6 digit PIN. So if somebody wants to take their chances with a 5 or 6 digit PIN we say "best of luck to you" and make sure you have a good backup plan if the ATM will not work :)

Hank

Everyone thank you for the info. I am calling my credit card company to see what fees are involved. I do have a Capital One card. Mic

You have the "holy grail" of credit cards for international travel since it is about the only US based card that has no foreign currency transaction fees. However, this is when you use it as a credit card. If you try to use a CapitalOne credit card in an ATM machine, and you do have a PIN, it will work! And you will also incur fees and interest (from day one) since you will have used it as a credit card in an ATM machine (not a good thing). For ATM machines you should have a Debit card or a card specific for ATMs.

We always notify CapitalOne (and our other credit card companies) in advance of our trip. If you call CaptialOne more then a few days before your trip it is an automated phone call. If its very close to your trip you need to use an option to get to a human who will take down the appropriate info.

Hank

You have the "holy grail" of credit cards for international travel since it is about the only US based card that has no foreign currency transaction fees. However, this is when you use it as a credit card. If you try to use a CapitalOne credit card in an ATM machine, and you do have a PIN, it will work! And you will also incur fees and interest (from day one) since you will have used it as a credit card in an ATM machine (not a good thing). For ATM machines you should have a Debit card or a card specific for ATMs.

We always notify CapitalOne (and our other credit card companies) in advance of our trip. If you call CaptialOne more then a few days before your trip it is an automated phone call. If its very close to your trip you need to use an option to get to a human who will take down the appropriate info.

Hank

This is correct.

Capital One wil not charge an international fee for a credit card transaction.

You do not want to use the Capital One Credit Card (nor any credit card) as an ATM card whether you are in the USA or abroad. You will pay big fees and high interest rates.

I will add that you do not even need to call Capital One to let them know that you are traveling. You can actually just do this on their web site. Also make a copy of the credit card and the toll free numbers including the number that you would call collect from outside the USA.

Get an ATM card for the ATM machines. Capital One is a good one.

Use a four digit pin.

Keith

Good morning

Does anyone know if the ATMs in Europe, namely Spain and Italy, give you the option of withdrawing from savings or checking or do you only get one choice? Which one if so?

Thanks.

Vivian

The money must be in your checking account.Also it is probably best to use a ATM in Europe attached to a bank.I've been to Europe many times and never had any problem finding and using a ATM in Europe. The first stop after arrivals is the ATM in the arrivals hall.We ahve a Schwab One investment checking account and are never charged any fees.

thru my bank's web site about a month ago and had a good rate and received the funds Fedex the next day against my debit card. I wanted to have a lot of Euros before getting to Italy and not having to change afor a small amount in every port to pay expenses.

I have noticed on some sites for prices they use commas. 7,20E 20,00E 480,00E

Is this comparable to 7.2 euro like $7.20 US. I know the Euro and dollar are not worth the same, that much I understand. Is the comma in Europe like a decimal point? Thanks for the info.Mic

Is this comparable to 7.2 euro like $7.20 US. I know the Euro and dollar are not worth the same, that much I understand. Is the comma in Europe like a decimal point? Thanks for the info.Mic

Yes, that's correct. The comma is often used like a decimal. So 7,20 euro would be 7 euro and 20 euro cents.

Yes, it does get confusing ( US vs Euro). Practice the math a few times before your trip.

pretend that you have a hotel bill for X euros and a bar bill for X,Y euros. Just wrtite it out you will get use to it.

Have a great trip

Carole

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, it does get confusing ( US vs Euro). Practice the math a few times before your trip.

pretend that you have a hotel bill for X euros and a bar bill for X,Y euros. Just wrtite it out you will get use to it.

Have a great trip

Carole

Now I have to learn to add in the bank and transaction fees

Archived