Formal Night MDR Kids

I am packing dress slacks, a button down shirt and tie for my 8 and 4 year old boys for formal nights in the MDR. I know everybody talks about getting navy blue or black pants to hide stains, but in my experience the pants are just one part of the stain problem. The shirt and especially the tie are just as likely to get stained and ruined at dinner (especially by the 4 year old).

We are going 7 nights on Freedom so there will be 2 formal nights. Any suggestions for keeping shirts and ties clean enough to be used for the second formal night?

Also the kids will be going off to the Adventure Ocean program after dinner. We plan on bringing a backpack with a change of clothes with us to dinner. That way they can change in the bathroom and we don't have shlep back to the cabin. People are so particular about the MDR and formal night, would it be frowned upon bringing a backpack with us?

I really hate packing all of these formal clothes and shoes for the 4 of us, but my MIL really wants us to be at the MDR for formal nights. If it were up to me we would be at WJ on formal nights.

You can always have the shirts laundered between formal nights - very reasonable IMO. And, seriously, how much packing space does an extra tie take? I'm sure your MIL will be wanting a nice formal family photo (and you can always use yours for Christmas cards). I think you will all enjoy the experience. No issue at all with the backpack.

Ask for another napkin....and layer them in his lap, over his knees! The shirt shouldn't be hard to wash out (or have laundered) if it does get dirty!

No, a backpack will NOT even be noticed.

Don't worry too much about this! Dinner is supposed to be a relaxing time...not stressful!

And you may find that the kids would do ok with a quick bite in the WJ, then straight off to the kid's club, while the adults have a formal, but leisurely dinner in the dining room alone!

And you may find that the kids would do ok with a quick bite in the WJ, then straight off to the kid's club, while the adults have a formal, but leisurely dinner in the dining room alone!

Excellent suggestion.

Of course, it's possible that the kids will enjoy the "grown-up" experience of getting dressed up and eating a fancy meal. If so, you can try and steer them away from messier foods (pastas, sauces, etc.) and towards foods that, even if spilled, wouldn't stain the shirts and ties.

WJ is out of the question on formal nights, b/c the picture is exactly why MIL wants the entire family at the formal nights.

Honestly the dress code in MDR is stressing me out. I agree the tie doesn't take up much space at all. I am not opposed to dressing up for things in general. It is just the cumlative amount of junk that we need to pack for formal night for a family of 4. For example, DH's shoes are size 17 American. Needless to say he doesn't pack a lot of different shoes, two pair leave little room for other things in a regular suitcase. Before we knew of MIL's intention he was just planning on packing sandals and wearing sneakers onto the boat.

I am just trying to keep the amount of stuff we take to a bare minimum because I only want want to carry on one suitcase per person so I don't have to pay $200 for luggage round trip for the plane. Also the more stuff we have the less room we have in the cabin and the greater the likelihood we lose something.

I like the idea of layering napkins upon napkins. Perhaps I will even tuck their ties in their shirt when they eat. A friend of mine recommended a travel bottle of Woolite for washing in the sink.

I had a couple of sweater vests for my 3 year old son....layered over his white dress shirt...that way if the vest got dirty the shirt was still clean. Now that I think about it......my 3 year old did not spill anything on any of his clothing during dinner all week! Now during the day.....with the ice cream cones...and such...yes, but not at dinner.

My 8 year old daughter often had an early dinner in the Wipe Out Cafe...or Sorrentos...and 1 day she had a hamburger from room service....because she wanted to go to AO at 7pm....the same time as our dinner reservations. She wound up eating with us only 2 of 7 nights...while our 3 year old ate with us each night and fell asleep across 2 chairs most evenings as our servers brought out his food first.

Also the kids will be going off to the Adventure Ocean program after dinner. We plan on bringing a backpack with a change of clothes with us to dinner. That way they can change in the bathroom and we don't have shlep back to the cabin..

Seems like it would be a lot easier for everyone to go back and let them change in the comfort of their own cabin. It can't take but a few minutes.......:rolleyes:

I agree about the cumbersome nature of all these dress clothes. I am really looking forward to my family of 4 dressing up for dinner and having our first formal family picture ever, but man oh man the amount of stuff needed for such nights is crazy! My DD is pretty easy with a fancy little dress and shoes, but my DS with his pants, shirts, vests, ties, belt, socks, and shoes (and of course DH with his suit and all that accompanies that) is a lot to pack when you know they are only wearing it for a few hours. I'm looking forward to the final 'product', but getting actually to that product is a feat in and of itself!

Thank goodness for JetBlue and Bags Fly Free!!

A friend of mine recommended a travel bottle of Woolite for washing in the sink.

Try this: http://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark-Laundry-White/dp/B00004SRAX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1303931737&sr=8-1

I am taking my 4yo in September and wondered how much formal wear I need to pack. He will only be in his good clothes for an hour or so, so I am hoping I can get away with just one or two outfits.

Try this: http://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark-Laundry-White/dp/B00004SRAX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1303931737&sr=8-1

I am taking my 4yo in September and wondered how much formal wear I need to pack. He will only be in his good clothes for an hour or so, so I am hoping I can get away with just one or two outfits.

Yes, you can..really don't stress about formal nights. It's a bigger deal on Cruise Critic than it is on board. You will see every form of dress codes that night.

Yes, you can..really don't stress about formal nights. It's a bigger deal on Cruise Critic than it is on board. You will see every form of dress codes that night.

Well said and good advice to this parent!!!

Seems like it would be a lot easier for everyone to go back and let them change in the comfort of their own cabin. It can't take but a few minutes.......

Well, I took out the rolling-eyes smilie, but I do agree with this. If you don't mind me seconding this suggestion it might be easier to change in the cabin, let the kids go to the bathroom there, and just be done with it instead of trying to dress them in a stall that someone else is waiting for, or change them in the middle of the restroom with their clothes all over the floor. Schlepping to the cabin... yes, have done the schlep myself, but considering it would only take a few extra minutes, perhaps this might be worth considering.

And OP please try not to be stressed about all of this. My goodness, you're going to make yourself sick. If MIL wants this special time with the family, I think it's wonderful. You'll get some great photos that night and some special memories for sure.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

WJ is out of the question on formal nights, b/c the picture is exactly why MIL wants the entire family at the formal nights.

Honestly the dress code in MDR is stressing me out. I agree the tie doesn't take up much space at all. I am not opposed to dressing up for things in general. It is just the cumlative amount of junk that we need to pack for formal night for a family of 4. For example, DH's shoes are size 17 American. Needless to say he doesn't pack a lot of different shoes, two pair leave little room for other things in a regular suitcase. Before we knew of MIL's intention he was just planning on packing sandals and wearing sneakers onto the boat.

I am just trying to keep the amount of stuff we take to a bare minimum because I only want want to carry on one suitcase per person so I don't have to pay $200 for luggage round trip for the plane. Also the more stuff we have the less room we have in the cabin and the greater the likelihood we lose something.

I like the idea of layering napkins upon napkins. Perhaps I will even tuck their ties in their shirt when they eat. A friend of mine recommended a travel bottle of Woolite for washing in the sink.

Why don't you compromise and have the kids dress formally and eat in the MDR with you one night, and the other night have them eat early in the WJ and go to the kids club. That way MIL can still get her formal picture, but you only have to worry about one formal night for the kids so no worries about stains or bringing two sets or formal clothes.

Good to know...thanks! My son loves dressing up, so it should be relatively painless. ;)

Here is a photograph of my sons, 8 and 4, on formal night last year. They never got too messy after dinner for photographs.

OMG! They are so adorable!

I vote for easily sending the little ones pants and shirt out to be laundered. It is a cheap and wonderful service they offer on board. Here is a link to the price list to ease your concern. http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/LaundryPriceList.pdf

Just my opinion- I would have my DH carry his shoes in his carry on so they dont take up luggage weight. I am often puzzled how folks can travel on vacation without a pair of shoes though. :confused:

I vote for easily sending the little ones pants and shirt out to be laundered. It is a cheap and wonderful service they offer on board. Here is a link to the price list to ease your concern. http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/LaundryPriceList.pdf

ok who would get their underwear pressed, even though it is only 63 cents.

socks, too!

Just my opinion- I would have my DH carry his shoes in his carry on so they dont take up luggage weight. I am often puzzled how folks can travel on vacation without a pair of shoes though. :confused:

One pair is almost an entire carry on. Picture just one shoe where heel to toe it is the almost the length of my forearm (elbow to finger tips). That is why he usually travels with the shoes that are on his feet only.

I will try to pack as lean as I can for 4 people & not let the formal night stress me out.

Thanks for the price list for laundry, but I think I'll stick with travel Woolite or Shout stain wipes..

I had planned to put my boys in just a button down and dress pants. Then everyone on this forum started in with the jacket and the tie, and how nice it is. So I packed that stuff for the boys. They wore it the first night, but then refused to attend formal night the second night and instead the two of them went on their own to Jonny Rockets. While we were at dinner the second formal night I looked around and there were plenty of kids in just neat clothes - collared shirts and pants. They all looked cute. I was sorry that I had forced my sons into the more formal/uncomfortable attire. As long as the kids are clean and neatly dressed and well behaved, they can wear anything you would like.

The majority of the adults were dressed in very nice attire. I only saw a very very few who did not follow the dress code.

No kidding! We say we're going to skip formal nights in the MDR and not pack any "fancy" duds. Then we tell our server not to expect us on formal nights, and he/she usually tells us not to worry about it. I still feel awkward at the dinner table, but most people don't care.

I did see a man last time wearing shorts! And not nice Bermuda ones, either. I'll admit that got my panties in a wad. Even DH, who wears jeans to work everyday, doesn't complain about wearing Dockers and real shoes to dinner. He does complain about the suit and tie, however!

Your sons will look adorable. Just go and have a wonderful time. Grandma will love her photos.

Here's my advice. We've been dressing my son up for formal night since his first cruise when he was 5 (now 15). He went thru a pasta only stage & believe me I was constantly worrying about the mess. Tide to Go works great for the quick clean up, but be sure to use it right after dinner. My son has also learned to stick his tie in his shirt (about 2 or 3 buttons down) if he's getting pasta or soup.

I'm a strong believer in getting the kids used to eating in a formal setting with real clothes on. They have become comfortable dressing in formal wear & I consider this a big advantage for the future. Colleges now teach courses in etiquette, like how to dress for success & how to tackle sitting down to dinner with multiple utensils in front of you. My son has been able to tie his own tie for years & my daughter can also tie one. At their high school dances they are the ones helping others with their ties.

Don't stress about it but enjoy the opportunity to use the vacation as yet another learning experience for them.

Archived