One Practical/Reasonable Thing?

sail7seas

I so agree with other suite or 3/4 star Mariners - An internet package good for the entire cruise! Perhaps the ability to get/pay for

a cocktail in the Neptune Lounge?

Cocktails are not available in the Neptune Lounge---it is not a bar.

There is an easy fix for this -- come up to the Lido through the aft entrance...you'll be at the menu before the food. :D

That fixes nothing. It still requires a walk to the other end of the Ship. Especially on Vista/Signature class ships, but not limited to them, the extra walking can get to be too much for people with mobility problems. :rolleyes:

Really??2pm? I've always seen it done at 2 AM. 2PM would indeed be a fiasco!

It's not a "fiasco" at all on long cruises heading eastbound. When you lose an hour sleep eight times, it takes a lot of the pleasure out of the cruise. Remember, the stewards are also losing that sleep, and they get little enough of it as it is.

When the ship alternates resetting the clocks between PM and AM it balances it out more. Sometimes it's done as 1/2 hour each time of day.

To reset at 2:00 AM when westbound, or when it's only one or two time zones, then that's the procedure that's followed.

This suggestion is not for any onboard changes. However, in reviewing the shore excursions for our forthcoming TA cruise, I thought: "Wouldn't it be helpful if there were reviews?" I don't know if this is practical because excursions change. However, the general itinerary of the shore excursions frequently remains the same, i.e. petting the stingrays in the Cayman's, horseback riding in Jamaica, etc. At least we could get a better idea if which sites have been more enjoyed.

This suggestion is not for any onboard changes. However, in reviewing the shore excursions for our forthcoming TA cruise, I thought: "Wouldn't it be helpful if there were reviews?" I don't know if this is practical because excursions change. However, the general itinerary of the shore excursions frequently remains the same, i.e. petting the stingrays in the Cayman's, horseback riding in Jamaica, etc. At least we could get a better idea if which sites have been more enjoyed.

The HAL website already has this feature, but very few people actually use it and it is quite difficult to find...

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/ShoreExcursions.action?selectedNavElement=howtoreview

You can also check the HAL Facebook page where more and more people are posting reviews.

However, in reviewing the shore excursions for our forthcoming TA cruise, I thought: "Wouldn't it be helpful if there were reviews?"

HAL added a shore excursions feature to the website a while back. I don't know how many people submit a review, but the opportunity it there.

I seem to recall being invited to post reviews after my recent cruise, but don't recall how the message was received. It could have been an e-mail, since I booked excursions that way, or it could have been in my disembarkation paperwork.

The HAL website already has this feature, but very few people actually use it and it is quite difficult to find...

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/ShoreExcursions.action?selectedNavElement=howtoreview

You can also check the HAL Facebook page where more and more people are posting reviews.

Thank you so much. I certainly had not discovered that site. Much appreciated.

Most people would complain for a room service charge of any kind. HAL does not charge for room service and others might view that as 'the beginning' of adding charges where none now exist.

It is an added amenity that Deluxe Veranda Suite and Penthouses 'buy' when paying their fare. Certain amenities accrue to that category suite. The price is that much higher that it is for more than just more square footage.

1. Hire a lead singer for the Hal Cats that can actually sing.

2. Have lectures on ports of call. Not shopping promotions but talks on the history, culture, etc on the ports.

3. Faster internet.

4. Have a dessert/ice cream bar open longer hours.

I'm coming to this late, but I've read the whole thread.

And, I'm glad DBA came in to explain some of the requests hat have already been in place.

Notice none of the new suggestions were addressed

(though that is probably above his pay grade)

Here's my summary of the previously listed improvements that could really help HAL have (at least one) happier PAX :

1. Later hours for the Lido @ both Lunch and Dinner. Plus this business of picking up/closing stations earlier just has to stop!
    On a more practical level, what other line has SHORTER hours in the Buffet than the MDR ?? This makes sense HOW ???
  2. No smoking anywhere except possibly a closed smoking bar
  3. Interactive TV's, HAL needs to look at a calendar and see that the year is 2011. And if someone is telling them it would cost $1 Mil. per ship, they need better programmers. (they would probably save it in paper alone, not to mention Front Desk personnel hours)
  4. While we're there in the Lido, larger glasses please. I also have to bring my own, how Low-Class is that?
    HAL you obviously need to be taught the savings on the use of fewer glasses.
  5. Lights in closets seems like it should have been part of any intelligent ship design. So now it will cost more to retrofit them.
    Short-sighted (pun intended) thinking on HAL's part. How could they not have learned this for all the newer builds?
  6. Sequential and/or more logical/staggered schedules for the live lounge/bar entertainment
  7. Since we're on that topic, if HAL can't find competent singers for the Halcats, at least buy them a pitch pipe. The situation is embarrassing (and painful to sensitive ears).
  8. All shipboard internet is usually slow (mainly because the ships hog available bandwidth for themselves). However, the rates they charge are usureous! IF they would charge less, their revenue would increase
  9. Signage is virtually free. MDR & Lido Menus, Daily Activities, etc. can/should be posted in all central public places. AS WELL AS ON A DEDICATED TV CHANNEL (interactive not necessary for this)
  10. At least ONE of of the dance venues could have more modern music ? 60's ? (sorry Ruth) {but, of course, NEVER in the piano bar}
  11. The ice cream situation needs to be looked at. For two pieces of equipment per ship, they are serving mush ? And is there really any reason the hours can't be longer ??
  12. 2nd seating "happy hour". This one is a "No-Brainer"
  13. Canned dance music in the otherwise unused dance floor venues. And imagine the revenue if the bar were also open.
    Walk any HAL ship after the last show, and all you will see is millions of dollars worth of floating infrastructure going UNUSED. Talk about a waisted opportunity for increased revenue ! !
  14. IF there are going to be dress codes (or "suggestions") they should really be universally adhered to. (ditto chair hogs, ditto adults only)
  15. As to the lectures and classes, HAL has a lot of talent onboard that can't always be busy. So if some cadets could give meaningful (not sales) info on the ports, etc. the PAX would be appreciative. Sounds like Win/Win to me.
  16. Useful (colder) refrigerators in the cabins, otherwise why bother?
  17. Lemonade for ONE hour a day? really??
  18. A more "discrete" level for any music poolside would be appreciated by most
  19. Doorbells would be nice, but not mission critical.

Even though MOST of these would be minimal cost (if any), some would actually be revenue enhancers, BUT . . . . .

NOT holding my breath,

r.

PS: Can't wait to sail with my favorite "Geezette" and keep the ship hopping till 2:00 AM !

I'm coming to this late, but I've read the whole thread.

And, I'm glad DBA came in to explain some of the requests hat have already been in place.

Notice none of the new suggestions were addressed

(though that is probably above his pay grade)

1. Lights in closets seems like it should have been part of any intelligent ship design. So now it will cost more to retrofit them.
    Short-sighted (pun intended) thinking on HAL's part. How could they not have learned this for all the newer builds?

I am so glad this suggestion has been posted! It does not matter which ship I am on, or cabin category, but my DH usually takes most of the drawers and I place my folded clothes in the closet and I can not see anything. There is no light in the hallway near the two closets that are farthest from the door including the one that holds the safe.

1. All shipboard internet is usually slow (mainly because the ships hog available bandwidth for themselves). However, the rates they charge are usureous! IF they would charge less, their revenue would increase

We just got off Maasdam (VOV to Amsterdam) and according to the internet person onboard, HAL is changing to charging by the bandwidth instead of charging by the minute. That way they can open up Skype and also those who now find themselves paying by the minute while the computer is trying to log in to gmail or an internet site will not be paying for that time.

There is no word on when this will happen.

Great summary, Tamaracboy. Did you miss these two?

Position the cabin TV so that the remote works without raising the remote above your head.

Have local beer festivals when leaving a foreign port. All HAL has to do is buy a few cases of beer, cool them down, and offer them in one bar at a profitable price. It should be a money maker.

1. All shipboard internet is usually slow (mainly because the ships hog available bandwidth for themselves). However, the rates they charge are usureous! IF they would charge less, their revenue would increase

We just got off Maasdam (VOV to Amsterdam) and according to the internet person onboard, HAL is changing to charging by the bandwidth instead of charging by the minute. That way they can open up Skype and also those who now find themselves paying by the minute while the computer is trying to log in to gmail or an internet site will not be paying for that time.

There is no word on when this will happen.

Great news!! :D Nothing more frustrating than watching your $$$ go into thin air as you're waiting to connect.

Here's my summary...

Do you notice that most of these are no or low cost and many are even money makers? And so much common sense in one place!

Can you imagine your delight the next time you get on board if you saw these things implemented?

Lights in closets seems like it should have been part of any intelligent ship design. So now it will cost more to retrofit them.

Then you would love the Prinsendam! Walk-in closets with a very good light. Plenty of hanging space, plus shelves and drawers. That's over and above the drawers in the desk, and some shelf space in the entertainment center.

Position the cabin TV so that the remote works without raising the remote above your head.

Don't know where I learned this trick, but it works: aim the remote at the ceiling in front of the TV. Somehow the signal bounces to the TV receptor.

Have local beer festivals when leaving a foreign port. All HAL has to do is buy a few cases of beer, cool them down, and offer them in one bar at a profitable price. It should be a money maker.

Oooh, yes please!

Good list, Tamaracboy, especially the Lido hours and posting info around the ship and on the TV. However, the pitchpipe suggestion is a waste of time. Someone who can't sing can't find the key from the pitchpipe, or at least hold onto it for long. Sigh.

Not mentioned yet;

- Have a package for exercise classes, similar to what they do with soda/coffee/drink cards etc.... $12 for one Spin class is excessive & discourages use.

A package of 10 for say $89, would make for more usage & happier cruisers!

Most people would complain for a room service charge of any kind. HAL does not charge for room service and others might view that as 'the beginning' of adding charges where none now exist.

It is an added amenity that Deluxe Veranda Suite and Penthouses 'buy' when paying their fare. Certain amenities accrue to that category suite. The price is that much higher that it is for more than just more square footage.

I know that, and def understand, as we are famillar.

I would like ot see it under indulgences without having to buy the whole suite package for family members on an upcoming cruise. Its under indulgences for the suite amenites package, maybe a smaller package without bathrobes would be great.

If they are going to continue to sell Suites at substantially higher prices, they have to continue to offer things special to suites. Most Suite guests feel they are buying more than just more square footage. They have already reduced items specific to suites that used to be included in fare and only for suites but are now not suite exclusive.

Whogo,

I was afraid my recap list was getting way too long (but still shorter than the whole thread), but YES I had thought about including those two.

The only items I consciously left out were the "bring back the old times" service requests.

Nothing wrong with a good beer bash, and since HAL is in the business of introducing people to the World & vice versa . . . . Another no-brainer !

Though I always try, I have yet to find beers more to my liking than the Bavarian or Chezk brews.

As to the TV remote workings, I am rather lazy when I want to relax. So I have found that Ruth's suggestion frequently works quite well, especially when the ceiling is white (and the remote has fresh batteries).

After all you are just trying to get an Infra-Red light signal to reach the receptor on the TV set.

I've given up on strategically placed mirrors, as that is altogether too much work ;)

r.

Archived