T-Shirts Not Allowed in Main Restaurant?

Miss UK

Congratulations! I hope you really have a great time on your first cruise. They are always the most thrilling times. I have sailed on two Celebrity cruises in the past. I just returned from an 11-day sail in the Eastern/Southern Caribbean. For Breakfast I can say I wore Khaki / Cargo style shorts and polo shirts and had no issue in the Main Dining Room. I was always off ship during lunch in the MDR so I cannot comment on the dress code. For night time dining, I would say a "t-shirt" would be inapropriate. Your daily sheets will tell you what the level of formality is each night. Our 11-day cruise had two "formal" nights and the rest were listed as "Smart Casual". For men, a button down shirt and slacks would be more than appropriate... for women, blouses and dress pants could work, but many women dressed up way more than I thought they would on the "Smart Casual" nights. If you are wearing a traditional t-shirt, you would look out of place and probably feel out of place. If you really don't want to dress up, the Ocean Grill offers plenty of food options and the only requirement is to not be in swimwear.

I hope this helps you some.... enjoy!

Sounds like you are coming up on your first Celebrity cruise... congratulations! I enjoy Celebrity cruises due to the fact that they tend to be a bit more upscale in their expectations for persons on ship. There is no need to dress up for breakfast, but common sense should dictate. If in doubt, you can always read more threads here or even call Celebrity and talk to a staff to answer your specific questions.

Good luck!

Again, with this persons view point... common sense dictates. If the people around you are more dressed up looking than you are, you will look out of place and feel out of place. Save the plain looking cotton t-shirts for the pool or going off-ship. If the t-shirt can be worn in such a way that it looks dressed up, then maybe it will work. Just my thoughts.

I keep hearing works like elegant and upscale, compare to Four Seasons. Honestly – we selected the Solstice partially to see if we like the line but also because a concierge class cabin was cheaper than a standard balcony (for the same week) on the RCCL Freedom or Allure! Am I understanding that Celebrity is more upscale even though it is cheaper? Might be the best kept secret!

M

The first night when some have not received luggage, t-shirts will be seen and no one will comment-.However, after that, proper dress (no t-shirts) is requested in the main dining room. There are buffets for all meals if on doesn't want to dress for the dining room.

The first night when some have not received luggage, t-shirts will be seen and no one will comment-.However, after that, proper dress (no t-shirts) is requested in the main dining room. There are buffets for all meals if on doesn't want to dress for the dining room.

We would NEVER consider wearing a t-shirt to dinner - not even on the first night. We like to look nice when we board and board in ( what we consider) casual clothes that are appropriate for the dining room in the event luggage does arrive on time. ( silk pants/top/sundress for me or slacks proper shirt for husband. )

We love to dress for dinner - that is the reason to try Celebrity. Unfortunately I read ( on another thread) that few men are in tuxedos and that most are in suits. My husband will likely want to wear a tux.

M

Once again, there seems to be a disconnect between "real-life" on an X cruise ship, and X's written "rules".

Judging by this thread, it seems the majority of posters don't see a problem with a t-shirt in the MDR for breakfast/lunch, but I also agree with drafj7 - that the website states that t-shirts are not to be in the MDR ever.

So which is it? :confused: I'm actually more a buffet-in-the-morning-kind-of-guy, so I can't comment from experience, but it sure makes me understand why these dress-code threads keep popping up...

I just returned from a cruise on the Celebrity Summit. At breakfast, a man was turned away from the dining room because he wore a tank top and shorts, while the next person was allowed in with a regular t-shirt and shorts.

There's a difference between a tank top and a t-shirt. Even RCCL doesn't allow men to wear tank tops in the dining room at breakfast or lunch.

What is the rule for the color of socks. Can I wear black socks with white tennis shoes?

Where is the fainting "smilie?" Only if you are 85, walk with a cane and they are OTC support socks. Oh, plaid shorts and a striped shirt too.

Once again, there seems to be a disconnect between "real-life" on an X cruise ship, and X's written "rules".

Judging by this thread, it seems the majority of posters don't see a problem with a t-shirt in the MDR for breakfast/lunch, but I also agree with drafj7 - that the website states that t-shirts are not to be in the MDR ever.

So which is it? :confused: I'm actually more a buffet-in-the-morning-kind-of-guy, so I can't comment from experience, but it sure makes me understand why these dress-code threads keep popping up...

Its really simple, regardless what the web site says, passengers have been going to the MDR for YEARS in t shirts and shorts. I just can't understand why some can't deal with the reality of the situation....Celebrity realizes that passengers do not want to get dressed up to go to breakfast and then return to throw on shorts and t shirts for daytime activites. There really isn't an argument on this subject...

hi, miss uk. X dress code gets people pretty fired up...but i bet you've figured that out right about now. :)

i've only sailed X twice...and both times to the caribbean. my DM and i usually wear a sundress or shorts w. a nice t to breakfast in the mdr. for lunch, usually the same. the guys i have sailed with usually wear shorts and a golf shirt or nice t...again, for breakfast or lunch in the mdr.

dinner in the mdr...definitely no shorts, no t's. can't speak to the first night as DM and i just order up room service. the rest of the nights...no shorts, no t's..no kidding. we have a friend who tried to bend the rules one night on solstice and was asked by the maitre d to please return with proper dress. DM and i were (thankfully) at Tuscan that night but DM was completely appalled w. our friend when she heard about it the next day. she would, infact, be appalled that i'm even mentioning it now! :eek:

for breakfast and lunch in the mdr...think neatly casual (no tank tops), for casual dinner - think county club casual (no shorts, collared shirts for the guys), for formal, jacket & tie or tux for the guys, nice dress for us gals (long and flowing is good - allows for more indulgence with the desserts and such!).:)

remember, a good part of the fun of planning a cruise is shopping for stuff to wear on the cruise! and i know there are a lot of gals out there who will back me up on that!:)

bon voyage!

To the OP - my post was related to dinner. During the day wear what you want.

Yes - don't pay attention to the "clothing Police" especially in regards to breakfast & lunch.

I DO follow the dress code in the evening- BUT- I do not understand how what someone else does (or wears) that you don't know & will never see again could possibly affect your cruise or your enjoyment of it. I will draw a line at something that can make people physically ill. I can not tollerate smoking, especially cigars. I remember when Michael's club was a cigar bar- I could't walk anywhere near it.

Back to attire. If someone chooses, for whatever reason, to wear something that some people might consider "inappropriate", it might cause me to do a double take, but that's it! Besides, you never know why- maybe their luggage got lost & they haven't any choice.

• Like 1

I do not understand how what someone else does (or wears) that you don't know & will never see again .

Maybe not

If they are CC members you might meet them again.

How many times have you seen someone you knew on a cruise and didn't know they were on your cruise?

This is my first X cruise but when on land I frequent the Four Seasons. So my expectation is that the level of guest will be close to that. As long as your tee is a classy one and not sporting the NY Jets or a tractor pull then you should be fine. If you really want to slob about there are ships that encourage it. This is not one. All that said, around the pool and other public areas you can find me showing off my tattoos and hot bod :) I saw no policy about being covered in ink.....

If there is a policy about being covered in ink, then my husband will be thrown overboard, because he is covered!!

Thank you everybody for all your posts, replies, thoughts and comments on this matter. I think that for breakfast and dinner as long as you are covered appropriately and are clean, neat and tidy then there is no cause to complain. I am on my holiday, I want to relax and of course it will be hot so I am not going to be wearing my ballgown for either of these two meals. Dinner is different. Where ever we are on our holidays we always dress smart/casual and I would not entertain wearing a t-shirt or shorts to dinner, even in the buffet. The rule of not wearing t-shirts especially to breakfast or dinner is extreme. If I came in just wearing my bikini then I would understand the complaints and being asked to leave the restaurant but a t-shirt, the attire most people wear on their holidays to me is perfectly acceptable. And hey, rules are there to be broken! x

If there is a policy about being covered in ink, then my husband will be thrown overboard, because he is covered!!

Thank you everybody for all your posts, replies, thoughts and comments on this matter. I think that for breakfast and dinner as long as you are covered appropriately and are clean, neat and tidy then there is no cause to complain. I am on my holiday, I want to relax and of course it will be hot so I am not going to be wearing my ballgown for either of these two meals. Dinner is different. Where ever we are on our holidays we always dress smart/casual and I would not entertain wearing a t-shirt or shorts to dinner, even in the buffet. The rule of not wearing t-shirts especially to breakfast or dinner is extreme. If I came in just wearing my bikini then I would understand the complaints and being asked to leave the restaurant but a t-shirt, the attire most people wear on their holidays to me is perfectly acceptable. And hey, rules are there to be broken! x

Hes probably a Giants fan, I found that whole post rather silly...

Its really simple, regardless what the web site says, passengers have been going to the MDR for YEARS in t shirts and shorts. I just can't understand why some can't deal with the reality of the situation....Celebrity realizes that passengers do not want to get dressed up to go to breakfast and then return to throw on shorts and t shirts for daytime activites. There really isn't an argument on this subject...

I agree to some extent, Don, but I beg to differ that "there really isn't an argument on this subject", since there are posts right in this thread (although, granted, they seem to be the minority) that do NOT agree that t-shirts should be allowed in the MDR in the mornings.

BTW, Don, and I certainly mean no offense because I absolutely do respect your position on this board, but aren't you the guy that always comes on these threads and recites the written rules, while making a point to not give an opinion? Because in this case, you seem to be doing the opposite.

Edited by PS90

I agree to some extent, Don, but I beg to differ that "there really isn't an argument on this subject", since there are posts right in this thread (although, granted, they seem to be the minority) that do NOT agree that t-shirts should be allowed in the MDR in the mornings.

BTW, Don, and I certainly mean no offense because I absolutely do respect your position on this board, but aren't you the guy that always comes on these threads and recites the written rules, while making a point to not give an opinion? Because in this case, you seem to be doing the opposite.

You are absolutely right, I usually do cite the web site or some other source however in this case it is so obvious that the web site is not followed that you have to be a realist. If you will notice when I do cite the web site, I rarely put in my personal opinion and usually give a disclaimer.

No offense taken, actually a very good and insightful question.

As to the first point, I think most were giving their opinion of what should be done according to the web site and their own personal opinions, not reality.

You are absolutely right, I usually do cite the web site or some other source however in this case it is so obvious that the web site is not followed that you have to be a realist. If you will notice when I do cite the web site, I rarely put in my personal opinion and usually give a disclaimer.

No offense taken, actually a very good and insightful question.

As to the first point, I think most were giving their opinion of what should be done according to the web site and their own personal opinions, not reality.

I completely agree, Don.

My feeble point was that some people who have not cruised (or like me, have never eaten in the MDR in the mornings) would read the website statement not allowing t-shirts in the MDR and therefore dress-up for breakfast in the mornings, and thus be annoyed that they had read that t-shirts weren't allowed - but everyone else (seasoned cruisers, at least) had a t-shirt on.

So, in conclusion, once again CC has helped me out with something I didn't know. :D

I completely agree, Don.

My feeble point was that some people who have not cruised (or like me, have never eaten in the MDR in the mornings) would read the website statement not allowing t-shirts in the MDR and therefore dress-up for breakfast in the mornings, and thus be annoyed that they had read that t-shirts weren't allowed - but everyone else (seasoned cruisers, at least) had a t-shirt on.

So, in conclusion, once again CC has helped me out with something I didn't know. :D

Yup, same thing in reverse as the Blu thing that was on the thread earlier this week. These are minor things though, just go and enjoy your cruise..

Miss UK,

We've sailed Celebrity 19 times now - soon to be # 20 and for breakfast and lunch if I choose to eat in the restaurant I always wear my Liverpool FC Jersey along with my shorts - I have never been told to leave but get a lot of the waiters and waitresses ask if I'm from Liverpool - so a great topic of conversation since the restaurant staff is 95% European and Football crazy so always a great way for me to strike up Football conversations with them. At night I dress according to the dress code. Idiots who come in with flip flops T shirts and shorts need to be tossed out - what they need to do is stay home and eat like that at home

Scouser David

Just got off the Century yesterday in San Diego. Great cruise, great crew!

To confirm the clarifications, t-shirts, shorts and sandals are oK in the main dining rooms on Celebrity ships for breakfast and lunch. Dinner requires a shirt with a collar and long pants for men (I did not see many sport jackets). Women can wear capris, sundresses, pretty much whatever meets the "smart casual" common sense definition.

Formal nights (we had 3 in 15 nights) were about 50/50 for the men between tuxes/white dinner jackets and nice suits, with a few sport coats sprinkled in. The ladies, as always, looked glamorous and gorgeous. Feel free to dress up all you want for formal nights - Celebrity passengers will not disappoint.

Celebrity IS more formal than RCL, so if that's what you're looking for Celebrity is a good choice. We love it!

• Like 1

Sorry to continue the discussion but I am seeing conflicting responses even for breakfast and lunch expectations.

We come from the old school when it comes to evening dress, and were looking forward to Celebrity evening dress expectations. I am not interested in “what I can get away with” , but rather what is the expectation. Suit/Tux for him and evening dress for me on formal nights and collared shirts/slacks/ jacket for him and dress or slacks and silk top for me for other casual evenings. One reason we are leaving RCCL after 50 cruises and booked Celebrity is the RCCL non- enforced evening dress code and ever falling low standard of evening dress.

As for breakfast and lunch - I know we don’t want to bother putting on an outfit for 30 minutes of BREAKFAST and then running to the cabin to change to “outdoor wear – T shirt ” to enjoy the ship’s activities or a day ashore. Please don’t suggest the buffet. I generally prefer to be seated and served.

If the no t-shirt expectation for breakfast and lunch appears to be the norm, I respect that, and imagine we will seriously re-think the January 2012 Solstice cruise.

Thanks for the enlightening and eye opening comments .

M

We just got off the Century yesterday in San Diego, so my info is pretty fresh. Yes, you can wear t-shirts, shorts and sandals in the main restaurant during breakfast and lunch. Dinner requires long pants and a shirt with a collar for men (didn't see many sport coats or ties, but there were some).

Formal nights (3 on our 15-night cruise) were about 50% tuxes/white dinner jackets and 45% suits with the balance nice sport coats and ties. The women were gorgeous and glamorous as always. If formal is what you want (and we like it too), then Celebrity is a good choice for you.

We like Celebrity above all others we've tried and are pleased to be Elite.

Bon Voyage!

• 8 years later...

I’ve seen teeshirts, baseball caps and shorts in the MDR in the evening on the Alaska cruise we are in on Solstice at the moment.

it would seem that the dress code had been totally discarded. 

47 minutes ago, AidenL said:

I’ve seen teeshirts, baseball caps and shorts in the MDR in the evening on the Alaska cruise we are in on Solstice at the moment.

This was a 2011 post. I note you have started a new one.

48 minutes ago, AidenL said:

You've managed to drag up an 8 year old thread! There have been changes to the dress code in that time. 

3 hours ago, Mynki said:

You've managed to drag up an 8 year old thread! There have been changes to the dress code in that time. 

Yes and they dragged open an old thread on shorts in the dining room.  Have to wonder for what purpose. 

• Like 1

I paniced there for a min when I read people where wearing/ expecting jackets over t-shirts for MDR breakfasts- I thought my husband was going to kill me for booking this 🤣 phew- thank god I didn't cruise in back in 2011