BON VOYAGE ..World Cruise 2011 Dawn Princess

That port was missed because of the rough seas.

Oops Yes I know that, as I was one of the followers watching live as it tried to get into Dublin. I missed the bit about mechanical issues.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day in Darwin.

I just read this on one of the blogs: "But .......the 2 bottles of wine we bought were confiscated and will be returned at Dover."

That would be terrible, I would be devastated.

I remember the stories from last year of people pouring spirits into other bottles at Darwin.

I just read this on one of the blogs: "But .......the 2 bottles of wine we bought were confiscated and will be returned at Dover."That would be terrible, I would be devastated.

I remember the stories from last year of people pouring spirits into other bottles at Darwin.

They did go to say it was given back..

On Princess , we have never had any trouble taking 2 bottles on , each ,

at ports of call.

This just in 3 hours ago in email from onboard the Dawn Princess

"

Just had the announcement that we have engine problem and there will be changes to itinerary, stay posted"

Looks like there's trouble afloat....

Reading between the lines - the engine had problems before Darwin, I would guess that no repairs could be done there, so they are continuing to Singapore where repairs could be done( BIG dockyards there) . The ship would stay there longer than planned and consequently miss out on port or ports further along the journey.

That would be my guess for a "quick" repair - however IF the engine can't be repaired "quickly" (in a few days) , who knows what the future holds for them

Barry

Reading between the lines - the engine had problems before Darwin, I would guess that no repairs could be done there, so they are continuing to Singapore where repairs could be done( BIG dockyards there) . The ship would stay there longer than planned and consequently miss out on port or ports further along the journey.

That would be my guess for a "quick" repair - however IF the engine can't be repaired "quickly" (in a few days) , who knows what the future holds for them

Barry

I have been reading between the lines also, along similiar lines, Barry.

If the ship is delayed for repairs in Singapore, Princess may make up time by missing Malaysian ports of call.

In that case, I wonder whether Princess would make alternative travel arrangements for Malaysia, from Singapore.

At least Aussies can get to SEAsian destinations easier than the ports missed on last year's world cruise.

It's the same old story line from me. Why do Aussies put up with these old ships??? Surely for a world cruise they should send one of the newer ships Downunder. These folks have paid a lot of money and it is trip of a lifetime to be disappointed with missing ports and being delayed is just not good enough:p

- however IF the engine can't be repaired "quickly" (in a few days) , who knows what the future holds for them

Barry

Its a shame that this happened so early in the voyage, as the "rumour mill" is now going to take over, and everyone will have their own version , or ideas , on what should be done.

I wonder if you pay for your own compensation in your cruise fare?....;)

Seriously, I'm sure Princess will be doing their utmost to have the problem resolved as quickly and efficiently as possible.

It may only mean missing one port of call.

I can imagine the Logistics department slaving away trying to re-create the itinerary right now.

I do remember from last years World Cruise there was a lot of disappointment because they didn't get to visit the Valley of the Kings because of the change of itinerary due to the engine/propellor/generator problems.

Jilly:)

I read "world explorers 2011" blog, i find them the best updaters, as well as Joannes and have cut and pasted below for those not following the blogs part of their last blog ..... fingers crossed for them that speedy repairs, permanent one's that is not the dodgy type, are made and they can complete the cruise without any further problems.......cheers Shiona

http://www.worldexplorers2011.blogspot.com/

A bit of gossip....When reboarding the ship in Darwin, there seemed to be some confusion and inconsistencies among the ship’s staff in regard to bringing alcohol onto the ship - some were told by security as they disembarked that they could bring two bottles onto the ship, but had it confiscated on return - others were allowed through - we even heard of one couple who brought 12 casks on with them. When we arrived back after 5.30pm, we were allowed to bring our two bottles on, but warned that we wouldn’t allowed at any other ports. There were some very unhappy passengers until an announcement was made that all confiscated alcohol would be returned. Today we were approached by one very unhappy lady who says that she is taking up a petition to have the policy changed......other talk of boycotting the bars...... certainly is a talking point around the ship... further updates coming.... it could get interesting!!

Late this afternoon we received a letter from the captain to update the situation with the ‘technical difficulties’ with the diesel engine generator. He says that we are traveling at a reduced speed, but are still on track for Singapore on Sunday and that ‘changes to our itinerary will become necessary.’ He is working with head office to evaluate the itinerary impacts and will announce itinerary changes and compensation in the next few days .... the plot thickens since he has already mentioned ‘compensation’... sounds serious...... of course he thanks us for our understanding..... we couldn’t tell that there is a problem - everything on the ship has been happening as usual.... watch this space for an update when we know more. Everyone has a theory of course!!! our theory is that we may have to stay overnight in Singapore and miss Kuala Lumpur or Langkawi. Of course there are as many other theories as passengers - I saw two dear older ladies who were asking if they should take their life jackets to dinner?????? I was told that last year’s world cruise had to miss one of the Egyptian ports and each passenger received $400 compensation .... watch this space.

I read "world explorers 2011" blog, i find them the best updaters, as well as Joannes and have cut and pasted below for those not following the blogs part of their last blog ..... fingers crossed for them that speedy repairs, permanent one's that is not the dodgy type, are made and they can complete the cruise without any further problems.......cheers Shiona

http://www.worldexplorers2011.blogspot.com/

Late this afternoon we received a letter from the captain to update the situation with the ‘technical difficulties’ with the diesel engine generator. He says that we are traveling at a reduced speed, but are still on track for Singapore on Sunday and that ‘changes to our itinerary will become necessary.’ He is working with head office to evaluate the itinerary impacts and will announce itinerary changes and compensation in the next few days .... the plot thickens since he has already mentioned ‘compensation’... sounds serious...... of course he thanks us for our understanding..... we couldn’t tell that there is a problem - everything on the ship has been happening as usual.... watch this space for an update when we know more. Everyone has a theory of course!!! our theory is that we may have to stay overnight in Singapore and miss Kuala Lumpur or Langkawi. Of course there are as many other theories as passengers - I saw two dear older ladies who were asking if they should take their life jackets to dinner?????? I was told that last year’s world cruise had to miss one of the Egyptian ports and each passenger received $400 compensation .... watch this space.

Thanks Shiona. I knew when the Captain mentioned possible missed ports and compensation, so early in the cruise, this wasn't going to be a little problem. You have to admire that Captain's honesty!

Love the dear old ladies asking whether they should take their life jackets to dinner.

Each time I read the blogs, I go back to post 65 which has a link to Joanne's blog, which includes links to a number of other interesting blogs.

I know there are quicker ways, but I followed links from Joanne's posts during 2010's World Cruise, as well.

Each time I read the blogs, I go back to post 65 which has a link to Joanne's blog, which includes links to a number of other interesting blogs.

I know there are quicker ways, but I followed links from Joanne's posts during 2010's World Cruise, as well.

You can just click on first page for the thread rather ,than looking for a specific page. The full itinerary and blog links are there...... although I think an itinerary change has occurred since that was posted....and looks like another one coming up.:eek:

You can just click on first page for the thread rather ,than looking for a specific page. The full itinerary and blog links are there...... although I think an itinerary change has occurred since that was posted....and looks like another one coming up.:eek:

As you suggested, I clicked on the first page, and kept clicking on first page, and kept getting post 148, until the penny dropped that maybe you meant the last page, then there they were.

Thanks David.

That will be much easier, than finding where post 65 is!

Archived