What's with the potties?

magenta321

I went to Italy in High School, and I can remember that I would make a point to use my hotel bathroom in the morning, and I knew not to use the bathrooms until we got home at night.

I never saw the "hover pots" as the other girls in my class were calling them. Now that I'm going back to Italy, I'm getting nervous. I don't think I can hold it for 16 or so hours any more. So I used google image to see what I'm getting myself into.... OMG... how the heck do you use those things?

I'm guessing you stand and squat... over the hole... how do you get it in there and not on you... I can do that on a public bathroom, but my butt is only inches from the pot... it's not down on the floor! Dear Lord, I'm scared! Any advice?

I'm still hoping that I will be able to hold it all day if push comes to shove, but really... if I get stuck... I'm hoping to have a strategy to use those god-awful things successfully.

If you are visiting from a cruise ship you are unlikely to be in places where the plumbing is so primitive. Any historical site or museum that you visit will have bathrooms that may be small, but function much like those you are used to. The same is true of bars and restaurants. You can use the toilet in a bar but you are expected to purchase something (a coffee, for example).

I can't tell you the last time I ran across a "squatty potty" in any of the major cities in Italy.

Do be prepared, though, that a lot of toilets (especially in restaurants and bars) seem to lack a proper seat. I don't know if they get broken or stolen or what....!

And do bring your own tissue. Very helpful in a lot of places, not just Italy.

What's with the baby talk??

Turkish toilets(just a hole not an actual toilet) are not what I have found in Italy. Actually the only time I experienced that was in a nice restaurant in Paris!!

The Italian toilets often don't have seats. I don't think they are stolen cruisemom. I think they just don't think it is necessary! I always travel with a bit of paper and hand sanitizer just in case!

The public restrooms are pretty nasty in general, especially the ones at the train stations. They do have the squat "potties" in the Cinque Terre and I was desparate to use the bathroom on the way back from the Cinque Terre. It took 20 minutes until the driver could stop at a rest stop. No potty on the bus.

So my advice would be done drink too much vino in the Cinque Terre and if you do make sure to use the bathroom in the restaurant (they are normal) and don't drink water on the bus!

We've yet to come across anything so primitive during our Med cruise (2008) or Baltic cruise (2010) maybe this year we'll experience it in Istanbul! Even in Pompeii the rest rooms were "modern" but cost maybe .50 Euro.

Very often our "problem" is "how to flush" - but this is true even in the USA!! In Europe its look for a handle, a chain, a button, or even something on the wall to press!! Just think of it as an adventure - and something to talk about!!!!

After many many days and nights spent in Europe, the only squat john I encountered was in a fondue restaurant on the Left Bank in Paris. Never an issue anywhere else

We normally make a stop for a coffee and a treat mid morning and afternoon and that gets us entree into the restrooms.

I can solve the "where are the toilet seat?" question... Italian women hover in public bathrooms. Thus, no seat is necessary. I used to work in a store with both Italians & Americans. The ladies came to an agreement that, of the two employee stalls, one was for sitters and the other for squatters.

While living there, I only saw the Turkish toilet once. It was one stall of three (with the others having toilets).

I can solve the "where are the toilet seat?" question... Italian women hover in public bathrooms. Thus, no seat is necessary. I used to work in a store with both Italians & Americans. The ladies came to an agreement that, of the two employee stalls, one was for sitters and the other for squatters.

While living there, I only saw the Turkish toilet once. It was one stall of three (with the others having toilets).

I have to admit that your screen name, in conjunction with this thread, gave me a giggle.

:)

The squattie potties are out there - I just saw some at the Frasassi Caves near Ancona - but normally there are at least a couple of regular toilets available as well. Although they often do not have seats, as noted before. Using the loo in a cafe, after buying a coffee or a bottle of water is usually a guarantee of a clean, conventional toilet.

And the squat toilets I have met lately are far more than just a hole in the floor. They normally have a rather elaborate porcelain tray with two raised areas for your feet to stay dry. Nor would I consider them primitive - they are the preferred choice of toilet for a very large part of the world's population. Fans (not me, I have to admit!) say that they are better for us, as they position the body in a more natural way. If I think I am going to have to use them, I try to wear a skirt that day. Much easier!

Oh, yummy Italian espressos and icky public toilets is not a good combination. I encountered a squat loo in Florence last year and, not having seen one before, I had no idea what to do.

I don't like squatting... I get flashbacks to mandatory hikes with my class in middle school, where the boys would follow us girls when we had to go behind a bush. Which meant "accidents" would happen when you were ambushed and tried to grab your pants as quick as possible.

Anyway, always, ALWAYS bring your own tissues and desanitizer. Even if the toilet is dirty and there's no clean towels, you CAN freshed up.

And BTW, that squat loo is in a very nice-looking café that sells souvernir sweets, right across from the train station. I originally intended to buy something to bring with me, but after that dirty, nasty toilet... didn't want to buy anything edible from such a place.

In '98 when my husband and I drove through Italy, we found a lot of the squat toilets. If you had on pants, you were indeed in trouble.

When my friend and I cruised in '08, we didn't see a one. All of the cafes, McDonalds, pizza shops we visited had modern toilets. Some with toilet seats, some without, but at least they had the conventional toilets we were used to.

And indeed be sure to have some EURO coins, as they do charge. Usually always an attendant to take the money and pass out the toilet paper.

But that's one of the novelties of traveling. In Paris, we saw one of their new all in one toilets. You go in, lock the door, do your business, then when you leave the whole thing gets washed and sanitized. Quite an interesting TOILET!

Think my family got a bit of a shock when they visited the public loos at Ostiense station last week. Lets just say, I was the only one to use them. ( hoovering and HAL napkins ahoy!)

i've come across the porcelain hole in the floor toilets during my travels in Albania. I see HAL is stopping at Durres next year, so I'm expecting a few toilet tales on here afterwards :-)

I ran into one of these unexpectedly and for the first time in a lovely restaurant in Burano. I was laughing so hard I was almost crying - at which point I really had to go. I can't say I didn't sit right down anyway seeing no other practical option. All I can say now is the experience didn't kill me and the memory still makes me laugh.

In Spain I've never yet found a toilet that wasn't missing the seat. Assumed this was to enable use by either sex. In fact, most of the

smaller restaurants I went to only had a single restroom. When it's

a shared, unisex restroom, ditching the seat may be their aim and I've

been grateful given my experience with the aim of others not of my gender.:)

• 3 weeks later...
If you are visiting from a cruise ship you are unlikely to be in places where the plumbing is so primitive. Any historical site or museum that you visit will have bathrooms that may be small, but function much like those you are used to. The same is true of bars and restaurants. You can use the toilet in a bar but you are expected to purchase something (a coffee, for example).

I find squatty potties with depressing regularity in surprising places. Alle Testiere, one of the best-regarded restaurants in Venice, had them the first time we dined there over a decade ago. (The second and third times we ate there, I didn't use the facilities. Fool me once...) In Florence, our guide took us to the "nicest" restrooms near the Medici Riccardi Palace and the commodes turned out to be the squat type. I know I've used one in a restaurant in Bassano del Grappa, a town famous for making (you guessed it) Grappa. Most recently, I found one in a Parmesan cheese factory we visited outside of (you guessed it, again) Parma. The destinations on this list cover the top half of Italy and I'm sure if I tried, I'd come up with other encounters in the south, too.

The problem is that many traditional Italians don't agree with our opinion that these flat commodes are primitive. They find them much more sanitary since the flat porcelain surfaces can be hosed down easily. Italians do love their traditions, so you're likely going to continue to find squat commodes.

So how to cope? Wear a full skirt. Tuck the skirt under your chin. Wear slip in and out shoes for ease removing one leg from your panties. Get as wide a stance as possible. Think positively. Re-assemble your outfit. Smile.

We found small "squat" toilets in all the major cities we visited. Never the "hole in the floor" like some of the SE Asia countries. I always carried paper with me. Save the end of a roll at home and take it with you because it's already small.

Be prepared to pay a Euro or a half to use the facility unless you are eating in the restaurant (and sometimes even then). Was nice to come home and pee for free.

The problem is that many traditional Italians don't agree with our opinion that theG]se flat commodes are primitive. They find them much more sanitary since the flat porcelain surfaces can be hosed down easily. Italians do love their traditions, so you're likely going to continue to find squat commodes.

We had explained to us in France and in China that squat toilets are considered more sanitary. I roll up my pants, spread my legs wide and get it done.

We found a very high tech hover potty in Dubrovnik (stainless steel everywhere and it rinsed itself out as you left), in Rome there are a few museums with toilets without liftable toilet seats so you may want to hover, the last time I saw the 2 foot spots and a hole in the ground was in Romania a number of years ago, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them elsewhere. We usually pull off a roll or two at home as it gets close to the end and use a few snack size ziplocks to carry those around with us for the more interesting potty stops as well as some travel wet wipes that we carry with us. We did need to use those smaller rolls in Turkey a few times and even once or twice in other locations. All part of the fun no matter where you go, at least for the stories later. You can usually find facilities somewhere, higher end hotel lobbies, museums, many restaurants and bars (we buy something while visiting), just keep an open mind and your sense of humor. The more you worry about it, the more uncomfortable the situation can become.

I find squatty potties with depressing regularity in surprising places. Alle Testiere, one of the best-regarded restaurants in Venice, had them the first time we dined there over a decade ago. (The second and third times we ate there, I didn't use the facilities. Fool me once...) In Florence, our guide took us to the "nicest" restrooms near the Medici Riccardi Palace and the commodes turned out to be the squat type. I know I've used one in a restaurant in Bassano del Grappa, a town famous for making (you guessed it) Grappa. Most recently, I found one in a Parmesan cheese factory we visited outside of (you guessed it, again) Parma. The destinations on this list cover the top half of Italy and I'm sure if I tried, I'd come up with other encounters in the south, too.

The problem is that many traditional Italians don't agree with our opinion that these flat commodes are primitive. They find them much more sanitary since the flat porcelain surfaces can be hosed down easily. Italians do love their traditions, so you're likely going to continue to find squat commodes.

So how to cope? Wear a full skirt. Tuck the skirt under your chin. Wear slip in and out shoes for ease removing one leg from your panties. Get as wide a stance as possible. Think positively. Re-assemble your outfit. Smile.

:eek: - LOL...I got a good laugh at the above. You should really write an instruction booklet for US travelers. :)

As long as we are on this topic, I am just a "wee" bit concerned that we will be stopping IN Turkey as well as Greece on our cruise. Guessing the chances of meeting up with a Turkish toilet increase when one lands in Turkey. I have been to Greece before where I had my first experience with written instructions posted in the stall not to flush your TP. Euuww...just euuww.

Actually in seven days in Turkey, I only ran into one "turk". It was outside the blue mosque but it had lots of stalls and some were sit toilets so it was all good.

It is one of my most memorable experiences sitting there and having the loud speakers inside the washroom blast in the call to prayer. At that point I knew our visit to the mosque would have to wait a bit so we wandered over to The Hagia Sophia.

@caugh51654: actually you will see "requests" not to flush tp in lots of places...... all over the Caribbean especially.

As a side note: the WORST, I mean the worst bathroom in my travels was in Egypt. At the Step pyramid. I will not even go into any details....... it was THAT bad !

Archived