To Balcony or Not to Balcony

We are contemplating booking an Australia/New Zealand cruise during January. Q: Is it too windy to enjoy the benefits of a balcony cabin? The last cruise we took a balcony (Hawaii to Ensenada) and it was so windy that we were not able to enjoy it. Many thanks for your advice.

Larry

Sea days are always a challenge with balconies as the ship's movement and the wind may work against you (20 + knots ) but on the other hand you may win. With this itinerary you will enjoy the balcony in the Milford Sound as you are there for a long while. Also if you go to Hobart there is some really nice scenery possible depending on time of day. I would book it and don't worry about the wind.

Most people are more apprehensive of the Tasman sea which has a reputation as rough water, but like any rough water stretch it can also be quite calm (my experience) you rolls the dice and takes your chances. but the scenery is second to none.

We had a balcony on our NZ cruise, we went in February, so a similar time of year to you. I cannot remember it being too windy to enjoy the balcony, except maybe the sea days.

In my opinion, go for the balcony!

This question is similar to asking whether one should buy a Rolls-Royce - or not.

It all depends - on a lot of things. How rich you are? Where your life's priorities lie? What value you place on some things? Your personality? How big your ego is?? :p

Up until recently, we had always had outside cabins - finally we did an inside cabin for 6 weeks on Arcadia. It was a good inside - a larger than normal one - and it was quite ok. Now we have booked another outside (an obstructed view) for our coming 28 days on Pac Pearl. We obviously prefer an outside cabin - but the difference in price between an inside and outside (much less a balcony) can buy a LOT of lollies. I am wishing really now that we had saved the additional cost and put the savings into shore tours- which are expensive , but I believe largely necessary (because I hate dealing with shoreside taxi drivers)

So - the answer to your own question can only be determined by you :)

Barry

We had a balcony on the NZ cruise but found the views much better on top deck 360 deg view. That said, we used it more on calm days and in warmer waters ( around Auckland and the Bay of Islands). If the price difference isn't too great, take the balcony. You'll have a nice spot to enjoy those glasses of wines before dinner. (You can buy 2 bottles at each port)

You did not mention which ship you are cruising on....on the older ships such as the Dawn and Sun Princess' there is no problem with wind on the balconies are they are semi enclosed..always able to get out of the sun or the wind.

I have not noticed a problem with wind on the balcony of the Diamond Princess either.

If money is not an issue I would always opt for a balcony for the convenience and privacy of having your own quiet space..however I also frequently sail in an obstructed or ocean view and do not feel it impacts significantly on my enjoyment.

You are going to have a great cruise either way..NZ is a fabulous destination.

I think the itinerary has a big bearing as to whether or not you splurge on a balcony. We have cruised 14 times, mostly with Princess and never had a balcony, usually going for the obstructed view cabins. I mean would you want a balcony for a six day stormy transatlantic crossing? NO !

However on our upcoming Panama Canal cruise have splurged on a balcony, as the decks get crowded according to reports, plus the weather through the Caribbean/Panama/Mexican Riviera should be nice for a balcony.

But at the end of the day we spend little time in our cabin, sleep and shower. Never ever had room service meals delivered either, staff have more important things to do than run around the ship with meal deliveries. Thus we go for cheaper cabins normally. Prefer to mix it with other pax.

To each their own.

I prefer balconies regardless of price.

And really, they dont cost much more than an outside berth.

In my view there is nothing nicer than to be able to step out onto your own balcony for a welcome breath of fresh sea air.

Plus that might have something to do with the fact that I suffer mild claustrophobia:o:p

As I said, to each their own. :)

To each their own.

I agree.

Cruise ships have evolved a lot since the old designs and today a balcony is almost considered standard. We always go for a balcony now , and even if you can't use it on windy or rainy days, that full length view of the ocean , from your stateroom , is worth it.

On some cruises the price difference is minimal.When we were on Diamond for example, it was not much more for a Mini, than a Balcony, so we moved up again.

I enjoyed the fact that with a balcony I could:

i) get fresh air, as much & whenever I wanted (or needed),

ii) large glass area so plenty of horizon to look at if the need arose, &

iii) as a light sleeper, liked being able to have a (pleasant) background noise if I had trouble sleeping.

My partner simply liked the fact she could sit out there and read without having to find a deckchair. Especially if ship was at anchor after a days exploring.

It also proved practical for airing her gym clothes. Exercise - on a ship! :eek:

We have had cruises in suites and mini suites some how I do not think we will be going back a normal cabin.

The suites are magic for the times we cruise for all the nz cruises we have done, and the pacific island cruises and the med cruise.

As ethb said i) get fresh air, as much & whenever I wanted (or needed),

ii) large glass area so plenty of horizon to look at when we wait up

3. its great just to wait wake and make a coffee and set out side and watch the then new morning come in and read the papers

4. it is just nice and peace full

We cruise Oceania R ships.The balcony state rooms have the door from floor to ceiling so when in your room you can look out and not have to strain to look out a regular window.

OK - so now that we're going to book a balcony cabin, shall we choose the port side or the starboard side? (We plan to sail out of Sydney and would like to gaze out at the harbor from our balcony, as the ship will overnight in Sydney.)

Larry

Please excuse my nautical terms.....If you are on the right, sailing out of Sydney, you will see the Opera House. If on the left, you will see Luna Park, which is also pretty at night. I would go for the Opera House side, but both are good. Sydney is a beautiful Harbour, and if sailing back into it, I recommend getting up early. It is worth it.

Jen

OK - so now that we're going to book a balcony cabin, shall we choose the port side or the starboard side? (We plan to sail out of Sydney and would like to gaze out at the harbor from our balcony, as the ship will overnight in Sydney.)

Larry

Grab a balcony cabin on the starboard side.

Going out - expect views like this:

DSCF0061.jpg

DSCF0063.jpg

Coming home some great early morning shots on the other side of the harbour:

DSCF0627.jpg

DSCF0629.jpg

Just beware of these nutters who think this is the best way to greet an incoming cruise ship. :p

DSCF0638.jpg

Hi we have booked a balcony for the first time for our cruise to NZ on sun princess Nov 30 mainly because it was the same price as an outside cabin and we are spoiling ourselves this time because it is our 30th wedding anniversay. We have done both an outside and inside cabin before and cant complain about any of them, just so happy to be going on another cruise :):):)

To balcony or not to balcony, I think it depends on one's individual preferences, situation and cost.

I have cruised inside cabins, ocean view cabins and obstructed ocean view cabins. Have my first balcony booked for Radiance in January 2012.

For me, the main reason in booking a balcony for my upcoming cruise was that price wise, it was not a lot more than an inside or ocean view.

While I do prefer to have some daylight in the room, I would rather cruise in an inside cabin than not cruise at all. I haven't had any issues with an inside cabin, as we really only use it to sleep, shower, get dressed etc. But am expecting that with a balcony this time, we will probably want to spend extra time out on our balcony.

An ocean view or a balcony does make it a better cabin experience, but it all comes down to personal preference, cruise itinery (scenic cruising) and what you want to spend.

Please excuse off topic response....ROFL at picture Rasa posted of the "nutters" we should have a sign we can hang over the balcony that says "mines bigger than yours".
:):)

Referring to what - the vessel or the posteriors ???? :p:p:p

We have had cruises in suites and mini suites some how I do not think we will be going back a normal cabin.

The suites are magic for the times we cruise for all the nz cruises we have done, and the pacific island cruises and the med cruise.

As ethb said i) get fresh air, as much & whenever I wanted (or needed),

ii) large glass area so plenty of horizon to look at when we wait up

3. its great just to wait wake and make a coffee and set out side and watch the then new morning come in and read the papers

4. it is just nice and peace full

Crikey THIED, with all due respects, you must be LOADED ! Mini Suites and Suites, just a dream for us.

Archived