All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

I am thinking about booking a JS on the Explorer. I am looking at 9306 and 9598. If anyone has stayed in these cabins, I would appreciate knowing if the beds are going in the direction of the ships movement....i.e. toward the front of the ship. I know this is a crazy question, but I don't like to lay in bed and "ride backward". Wish they had the direction of the beds....somewhere. Even if you have stayed near these cabins, I would appreciate the direction of the beds. Thanks

I'm going to take an educated guess and say that 9306 has the head of the bed facing forward. On Voyager and Freedom class, the JS staterooms are generally in pairs, and the stateroom on the right has the head of the bed facing to the right.

I'm going to take an educated guess and say that 9306 has the head of the bed facing forward. On Voyager and Freedom class, the JS staterooms are generally in pairs, and the stateroom on the right has the head of the bed facing to the right.

Thank you...that was what I wanted to hear...

Are the Promenade Stateroom's noisy? Looking at Deck 7 for family.

We stayed in one of the promenade cabins, deck seven, a few years ago on the Explorer,

our cabin was in the middle of the promenade, did not encounter any problems with noise, Windows were seal shut so no problem there. Loved this type of cabin because we were able to watch

the parades and the 70,80's shows at night from our cabin. Made us feel like we had front row seats for the shows. Very nice view.

I got off the Adventure last week and we were in cabin 7228. There was an outside light on our balcony. :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Great. Thanks, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thank you. Dies anyone know what side faces dock for wifi? What number was your cabin?

I think it is pure luck which way the ship faces. I was there on the most recent Bermuda sailing, and we were docked on the starboard side (I was on the port side) but I've seen plenty of photos where she is docked on the port side.

I was unable to get the King's Wharf wifi from my balcony since I was on the opposite side of the ship. Sorry, I didn't bother checking anywhere else on the ship, nor right in front of it. I ended up using the wifi not too far from where I bought the voucher. It worked very well and quite a bargain as compared to the ship prices.

Sue

Edited by SandG

Sailing in November, looking to book a cabana on the suite beach ( we are D+ in a GS) are these cabanas only available to book through the Concierge, or can they be reserved ahead of time? I'm talking about Labadee, sorry! Forgot that little detail. Anyone with recent suite cabana reserving experience, please let me know! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sailing in November, looking to book a cabana on the suite beach ( we are D+ in a GS) are these cabanas only available to book through the Concierge, or can they be reserved ahead of time? I'm talking about Labadee, sorry! Forgot that little detail. Anyone with recent suite cabana reserving experience, please let me know! Thanks.

The cabanas in Labadee for suite guests are booked through the concierge.

Those are the ones located on Barefoot beach.

There are cabanas for the general public on Nellies Beach, which is adjacent to Barefoot.

We enjoyed ours very much. Especially, since we split the cost with another couple:D

Hope this helps:)

If you book to Newark Airport Station, you can take your luggage on the Airtrain monorail to whatever terminal the cruise transfer would leave from.

However, it would probably be quicker and a similar price to go to Newark Penn Station and just take a cab. I think at Newark Penn you have a chance of getting a red cap wheras that's not going to happen at Newark Airport Station.

Edited by 138east

Thank you. Dies anyone know what side faces dock for wifi? What number was your cabin?

I think it is pure luck which way the ship faces. I was there on the most recent Bermuda sailing, and we were docked on the starboard side (I was on the port side) but I've seen plenty of photos where she is docked on the port side.

I was unable to get the King's Wharf wifi from my balcony since I was on the opposite side of the ship. Sorry, I didn't bother checking anywhere else on the ship, nor right in front of it. I ended up using the wifi not too far from where I bought the voucher. It worked very well and quite a bargain as compared to the ship prices.

Sue

The ship docks one side to the pier or the other for a reason. They are required to test their lifeboats periodically by lowering the lifeboats into the water and running them. If the starboard side lifeboats are due for testing, the ship docks port side to the pier. If the port side lifeboats are due for testing the ship docks starboard side to the pier. Also maintenance and repairs that need to be made can affect how the ship docks if it's a week when no lifeboats need to be tested.

The bottom line is that you can't predict which way the ship will be docked.

I'm new to Amtrak since I usually go out of Baltimore, so what is a red cap?

Never mind. I think it's a cab. Sorry.

A red cap is a porter who will assist you with your luggage. What 138east was saying is that you may be able to get luggage assistance from a red cap at Newark Penn Station, but not at Newark Airport Station.

Edited by njhorseman

The cabanas in Labadee for suite guests are booked through the concierge.

Those are the ones located on Barefoot beach.

There are cabanas for the general public on Nellies Beach, which is adjacent to Barefoot.

We enjoyed ours very much. Especially, since we split the cost with another couple:D

Hope this helps:)

Yes, it helps a great deal. I thought that bookings for suite beach cabana's were through the Concierge, it helps to have that confirmed. Thanks!!

Sorry I wasn't clear. I just made the assumption that "red cap" was a known term. Two further comments. You cannot get off at Newark Airport and get a cab at that station. The station is only a transfer point to the airport - no vehicles at all.

If you take Amtrak to Newark Penn Station and need a red cap, speak to the conductor to see if he can call ahead for one to meet the train. I know you can do that in NYC, but I don't know if it's possible at Newark.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I just made the assumption that "red cap" was a known term. Two further comments. You cannot get off at Newark Airport and get a cab at that station. The station is only a transfer point to the airport - no vehicles at all.

If you take Amtrak to Newark Penn Station and need a red cap, speak to the conductor to see if he can call ahead for one to meet the train. I know you can do that in NYC, but I don't know if it's possible at Newark.

We're going to be coming in to the Port Liberty area by Amtrak, and staying in an airport hotel, pre cruise.

I was told by the hotel clerk that we'd be able to connect with a hotel shuttle, if we detrained at the airport station. How far from the trainstation are the shuttles or terminal buildings?

Thank you.

We're going to be coming in to the Port Liberty area by Amtrak, and staying in an airport hotel, pre cruise.

I was told by the hotel clerk that we'd be able to connect with a hotel shuttle, if we detrained at the airport station. How far from the trainstation are the shuttles or terminal buildings?

Thank you.

Hotel shuttles are at the P4 (Parking 4) stop on the Airtrain. The Airtrain is the free train service around the airport.

Edited by clarea

Anyone stayed at the Courtyard Marriott on Gilmcher Way? Or, what would you highly recommend? Not looking for a budget hotel, I want something newer and nicer. Thoughts?