All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

Anyone stayed at the Courtyard Marriott on Gilmcher Way? Or, what would you highly recommend? Not looking for a budget hotel, I want something newer and nicer. Thoughts?

We stayed at the Residence Inn in the same complex as the Courtyard. They both have free airport shuttle. It's a nice complex, and there's a mall and restaurants within walking distance. I don't think there's a great selection of really upscale hotels in the area.

We stayed at the Residence Inn in the same complex as the Courtyard. They both have free airport shuttle. It's a nice complex, and there's a mall and restaurants within walking distance. I don't think there's a great selection of really upscale hotels in the area.

I don't think so either.

Our flight arrives around 8pm, so it's good that there are some restaurants nearby within walking distance.

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know about arriving by Amtrak. Is there a transfer from Newark to the cruise ship terminal?

Several groups in my "roll call" in 2011 did this option. They got off at the Newark Airport station and either stayed at airport hotels or got picked up by taxis at the airport. One family took Amtrak to or from California (I can't remember which direction) and another family came up from Florida and used the sleeper cars. They all seemed very pleased with this option as opposed to flying in or taking a long drive.

So excited to be cruising on the Explorer for the first time in November :) How many formal nights on a nine night cruise?

I see you are cruising on Explorer. This was the first ship we sailed with RCI after switching from Celebrity and, obviously, our first Voyager class ship. We really liked Celebrity but I just had to try one of those "huge" Voyager ships. Back then Explorer was sailing out of Miami. We did the western Caribbean. It was an awesome cruise.

I see you are cruising on Explorer. This was the first ship we sailed with RCI after switching from Celebrity and, obviously, our first Voyager class ship. We really liked Celebrity but I just had to try one of those "huge" Voyager ships. Back then Explorer was sailing out of Miami. We did the western Caribbean. It was an awesome cruise.

Well hello there! Long time no see?!

I'm looking forward to trying a new ship/ port/ itinerary...... But it's back to the AOS in February of course! When and where is your next cruise?

Well hello there! Long time no see?!

I'm looking forward to trying a new ship/ port/ itinerary...... But it's back to the AOS in February of course! When and where is your next cruise?

Allure eastern sailing in March unless I get one in before that one. I was going to book Adventure but since it would be going into dry dock shortly afterwards I think I am going to wait until next year for that. But I haven't been in the southern Caribbean for a few years now and I am getting real itchy to get back down there. I just wish RCI would put both St. Thomas and St. Maarten back on the same itinerary with Aruba and Curacao. I really liked that itinerary when the ship sailed it.

Where are you going on Explorer? If you need any suggestions for things to do in Bermuda you know who to ask.;):p

Hotel shuttles are at the P4 (Parking 4) stop on the Airtrain. The Airtrain is the free train service around the airport.

While the AirTrain is free when ridden solely within the airport grounds, anyone arriving at the Newark Liberty International Airport railroad station via Amtrak or NJ Transit pays a $5.50 surcharge on the price of their rail ticket for use of AirTrain to enter the airport. The same is true when traveling in the opposite direction (Airtrain departing EWR to connect with Amtrak or NJ Transit).

Edited by njhorseman

Allure eastern sailing in March unless I get one in before that one. I was going to book Adventure but since it would be going into dry dock shortly afterwards I think I am going to wait until next year for that. But I haven't been in the southern Caribbean for a few years now and I am getting real itchy to get back down there. I just wish RCI would put both St. Thomas and St. Maarten back on the same itinerary with Aruba and Curacao. I really liked that itinerary when the ship sailed it.

Where are you going on Explorer? If you need any suggestions for things to do in Bermuda you know who to ask.;):p

I'm on the November 14th 9 night sailing to San Juan, St.Thomas, Samana and Labadee. I'd love to do Bermuda one day, we shall see.

Agreed about Adventure's itinerary, we did that route many times and miss it. We hit all the islands though as we almost always do a b2b. The AOS is in very good shape. If you want the southern don't put it off because of dry dock!

I've yet to sail Oasis or Allure.

Looking forward to sailing out of NJ. Don't you live close?

I'm on the November 14th 9 night sailing to San Juan, St.Thomas, Samana and Labadee. I'd love to do Bermuda one day, we shall see.

Agreed about Adventure's itinerary, we did that route many times and miss it. We hit all the islands though as we almost always do a b2b. The AOS is in very good shape. If you want the southern don't put it off because of dry dock!

I've yet to sail Oasis or Allure.

Looking forward to sailing out of NJ. Don't you live close?

Well, close is a relative term. I guess compared to you I live close! It is about 2.5 hrs. from my house to New York City. I'm not sure how much time would be added on to get to Bayonne. When we would sail Celebrity from NYC it was so convenience as they ran a bus that stopped about 20 minutes from home. And usually we managed to get complementary seats on the bus. Talk about effortless!

Well, close is a relative term. I guess compared to you I live close! It is about 2.5 hrs. from my house to New York City. I'm not sure how much time would be added on to get to Bayonne. When we would sail Celebrity from NYC it was so convenience as they ran a bus that stopped about 20 minutes from home. And usually we managed to get complementary seats on the bus. Talk about effortless!

We are flying from Toronto which is about an hour flight. Admittedly I am a bit nervous about sailing out of NJ in November. Fingers crossed hurricane season ends early?

We are flying from Toronto which is about an hour flight. Admittedly I am a bit nervous about sailing out of NJ in November. Fingers crossed hurricane season ends early?

Please don't use the "H" word, we are sailing on the Explorer the end of Oct.

Sailing in November, looking to book a cabana on the suite beach ( we are D+ in a GS) are these cabanas only available to book through the Concierge, or can they be reserved ahead of time? I'm talking about Labadee, sorry! Forgot that little detail. Anyone with recent suite cabana reserving experience, please let me know! Thanks.

You could email the concierge now to reserve your cabana. Do you know which kind (or specific one) you want?

If you don't have his email it is EX_Concierge@rccl.com

Remember the underscore between EX and Concierge.

Allure has some really good pricing this coming fall. However, we have never cruised that time of year and hurricanes are always a possibility. I've lived through a few of them. If I didn't have to provide medical coverage for the high schools football games I would probably consider cruising in the fall.

Allure has some really good pricing this coming fall. However, we have never cruised that time of year and hurricanes are always a possibility. I've lived through a few of them. If I didn't have to provide medical coverage for the high schools football games I would probably consider cruising in the fall.

I've cruised every fall for the past 5 years.... It's the annual girls cruise, best friends cruising without DH's and kids. One word description? Bliss, lol! So even if that ship is rocking and rolling for 9 days straight, I'm on it!

Oh, by the way, can recommend any good cave excursions on my itinerary? Just sayin'

I've cruised every fall for the past 5 years.... It's the annual girls cruise, best friends cruising without DH's and kids. One word description? Bliss, lol! So even if that ship is rocking and rolling for 9 days straight, I'm on it!

Oh, by the way, can recommend any good cave excursions on my itinerary? Just sayin'

No, that was why I was hoping Explorer was making a stop at Bermuda. I had some really good recommedations for you. I had a cave for you to descend into and a lighthouse for you to climb.:):) I love climbing lighthouses!

Edited by Ocean Boy

No, that was why I was hoping Explorer was making a stop at Bermuda. I had some really good recommedations for you. I had a cave for you to descend into and a lighthouse for you to climb.:):) I love climbing lighthouses!

Do you recommend the crystal caves or the fantasy caves?

Do you recommend the crystal caves or the fantasy caves?

I did both when I was in Bermuda in June. I liked Fantasy cave better than Crystal cave. Fantasy had better rock formations (in my opinion). I was glad I did both since they are different from each other despite being so close.

No stop in Bermuda :( I actually have a niece living there, so one day it will be on my itinerary for sure.

As for caves.....the jury is still permanently out on that one! :eek: