All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

So many points so sorry if it's been answered. We travel In April on Explorer with my 4yo. We want to use the kids club a few times but wondered what kind of stuff they do. How do they notify a parent if your child wants you or gets hurt etc?

With the arcades, do you have to pay for the games?

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...
I couldn't agree more! The Windjammer on Quantum was nowhere near as good as the Windjammer on Explorer!!!! And Café Promenade on Quantum didn't compare to the Café Promenade on Explorer either. I really, really love Quantum, however I really miss my Explorer lol!

***Christie***

I wonder what the Windjammer food selection will be like after dry dock.

If the navigator refit is anything to go by, the port side will become Giovanni's Table and the starboard side Chops grille.

Island grill will then become what is left of the Windjammer

Edited by icsys

I wonder what the Windjammer will be like after dry dock.

If the navigator refit is anything to go by, the port side will become Giovanni's Table and the starboard side Chops grille.

Island grill will then become what is left of the Windjammer

There may be something about the port side that makes it too difficult and/or expensive to make it a restaurant on the first gen Voyager class ships. On Voyager, they did nothing with the port side. They changed Portofino to Chops and put Giovanni's in the top deck of the old night club on deck 4.

Edited by clarea

If anything like the Quantum, horrible. I only eat in the Windjammer, loved the food in the Explore Windjammer. Quantum did not compare, a big disappointment, Same food day and night, no theme nights, ice cream is nonexistent, other than machine at the pool between 12 noon and 7pm.. any questions please ask.

• 4 weeks later...

It was exciting to learn that Explorer of the Seas will be deployed to Alaska in 2016.

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1136/royal-caribbean-announces-2016-europe-and-alaska-adventures/

It is also great news that 'Dry dock Dave' will provide updates on the 10 day non-revenue Transatlantic to Cadiz and the refurbishment of the Explorer of the seas.

The reports from the Navigator dry dock were fantastic.

Follow this thread for developments.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2180844

I wonder if they will enclose the Solarium on Explorer during the dry dock?

I am not sure when they updated the deck plans, but the post April 24th deck plans are there. They show the deck 12 cabins and state the solarium can be covered.

Solarium

The indoor/outdoor pool and lounge area can be covered during inclement weather by a huge glass roof.

I am not sure when they updated the deck plans, but the post April 24th deck plans are there. They show the deck 12 cabins and state the solarium can be covered.

Solarium

The indoor/outdoor pool and lounge area can be covered during inclement weather by a huge glass roof.

The change may be in the works but I would just point out that for years the RCI website said that Voyager class ships had a covered solarium when they, of course, did not.

I am surprised that a Voyager class ship is going to Alaska because when there is inclement weather there are not a lot of areas inside the ship to be able to view the outside scenary.

Edited by Ocean Boy

The change may be in the works but I would just point out that for years the RCI website said that Voyager class ships had a covered solarium when they, of course, did not.

I am surprised that a Voyager class ship is going to Alaska because when there is inclement weather there are not a lot of areas inside the ship to be able to view the outside scenary.

The Viking Crown will be packed to the gills.

While I realize high temps in the 60's F or upper teens C can maybe seem 'frigid' to some, it can actually provide quite comfortable weather for tourism.

Add in that 2014 was the warmest year in Alaska history and the concerns over indoor space may or may not be an issue.

I hope someone does one of those great before and after deck plans for Explorer. I guess one will pop up on the blog soon if not here.

It looks like they are profiling the ships a bit, with some getting Sabor and Boleros, while others get Giovanni's and The Tavern, upscale sports bar in addition to the pub.

Some of the changes being done at dry dock are of course similar to what has been done to Navigator, Freedom and Voyager.

Some of the changes:

Deck 14

Seven Hearts/Cloud Nine ---- Izumi

19th Hole ---- Diamond Club

Deck 12

Vitality Spa exterior ---- 38 Oceanview cabins

Adventure Beach ---- Outdoor Youth Area

Deck 11

Solarium updates???

Outdoor screen added

Portofino's ---- Chops Grill

Deck 6

Business Services ---- Next Cruise

Deck 5

Maharajas ---- Star Lounge

Connoisseur Club not removed as on Voyager.

Ben & Jerry's ---- Ice Cream Parlor

Weekend Warrior Sports Bar, ----- Promenade Shops

Tommy Hilfiger, Logo Shop

and General Store

Champagne Bar ----- R Bar

Deck 4

The Chamber upper level ---- Giovanni's Table

Aquarium Bar port side ---- The Tavern (upscale sports bar)

Aquarium Bar starboard ---- Art Gallery

Deck 3

The Chamber lower level ---- 19 Inside cabins

Art and Photo Gallery --- Focus and 15 Oceanview cabins

Deck 2

The Board Room ---- 5 Oceanview cabins

The Screening Room ---- undefined part of Palace Theater

Decks 3/4/5

Magellan Dining Room ----- Sapphire Dining Room - 3 tier dining room

Da Gamma Dining Room

Columbus Dining Room

Deck 5

Maharajas ---- Star Lounge

Connoisseur Club not removed as on Voyager.

Ben & Jerry's ---- Ice Cream Parlor

Weekend Warrior Sports Bar, ----- Promenade Shops

Tommy Hilfiger, Logo Shop

and General Store

Champagne Bar ----- R Bar...

Surprised there is no Vintages, but I guess the shops are more profitable.

• 1 month later...

Explorer has now been confirmed to return to Alaska for the 2017 summer season along with the already announced 2016 Alaska season.

She will sail on longer sailings to and from Sydney, only stopping in Hawaii without selling separate shorter segments.

Explorer Of The Seas Depart: 05:00 PM 04/22/2017 Sydney, Australia

Explorer Of The Seas 04/23/2017 At Sea

Explorer Of The Seas 04/24/2017 At Sea

Explorer Of The Seas 12:00 PM - 09:00 PM 04/25/2017 Wellington, New Zealand

Explorer Of The Seas Arrive: 11:59 PM 04/26/2017 Cross International Dateline

Explorer Of The Seas 04/26/2017 At Sea

Explorer Of The Seas 04/27/2017 At Sea

Explorer Of The Seas 04/28/2017 At Sea

Explorer Of The Seas 04/29/2017 At Sea

Explorer Of The Seas 07:00 AM - 09:00 PM 04/30/2017 Papeete, Tahiti, French Polynesia

Explorer Of The Seas 07:00 AM - 06:00 PM 05/01/2017 Moorea, Tahiti, French Polynesia

Explorer Of The Seas 05/02/2017 At Sea

Explorer Of The Seas 05/03/2017 At Sea

Explorer Of The Seas 05/04/2017 At Sea

Explorer Of The Seas 05/05/2017 At Sea

Explorer Of The Seas 05/06/2017 At Sea

Explorer Of The Seas 08:00 AM - 11:59 PM 05/07/2017 Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii Radiance Of The Seas Depart: 5:00 PM (Tender)

Explorer Of The Seas Arrive: 08:00 AM 05/08/2017 Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii, United States

Explorer Of The Seas Depart: 06:00 PM 05/09/2017 Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii, United States

Explorer Of The Seas 05/10/2017 At Sea

Explorer Of The Seas 05/11/2017 At Sea

Explorer Of The Seas 05/12/2017 At Sea

Explorer Of The Seas 05/13/2017 At Sea

Explorer Of The Seas 05/14/2017 At Sea

Explorer Of The Seas Arrive: 06:00 AM 05/15/2017 Seattle, Washington - United States

• 4 weeks later...
Hi there, has the explorer already been in dry dock or any news when dry dock would happen?

Anyone with some fantastic explorer view links / albums to share? Thanks!

Dry dock has been completed since end of April. There are a couple of reviews/comments and photos on some threads if you do a search.

Here is one http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2212877#