Blu food on formal night

cruise kitty

We normally would do a specialty restaurant on formal nights, & buffet or bistro for many regular nights, however, for our upcoming trip we're in AQ, which we are so looking forward to.

I've found the MDR food to be very nicely presented on formal nights, & certainly not bad, but not spectacular either. I'd hate to book Tuscan Grill & then find out that the food in Blu for formal night is not to be missed!

Can anyone advise/ give their opinion based on experience, please?

Thanks in advance for your help!

On our three ten night cruises on the Equinox, the first formal night offered, inter alia, filet mignon, and the second, offered, inter alia, a large lobster tail with all the trimmings. Since we were so pleased with these selections, we never considered a specialty restaurant on these nights.

Thank you, Mr. Jack, that's just the type of info I needed to make a decision!

I think we may be skipping the specialty restaurants on this trip.

On our two blu cruises, Filet Mignon was first night on board ship and the lobster was the second formal night. I had even mentioned prior to boarding that I had a specialty booked on the first night and someone advised me it was filet mignon night.

On our two blu cruises, Filet Mignon was first night on board ship and the lobster was the second formal night. I had even mentioned prior to boarding that I had a specialty booked on the first night and someone advised me it was filet mignon night.

Thanks for your tip also, normally formal night is just not a draw for us, but we're looking forward to taking advantage of Blu, looks like all the nights there will be special!

The 2nd formal night was lobster in Blu. Don't know why I always order it but I still do because it is there if that makes any sense. Always claim that I won't do it again. The lobster I got was the worse ever. It had sand in it. That s the end of the lobster for me. Could never understand the big excitement for it to begin with as I always felt it was over rated. Not one to complain I just refused another one when asked if I wanted more. It was on the very small side and am glad it was, about 3 of them would be required to make a 6 oz portion.

Is Blu slightly less formal than MDR on formal nights? My DH and I always nicely dress for dinner but are looking to lighten the luggage just a bit on an upcoming cruise - so can the tux be ditched if booked in Aqua?

He will be o.k., if he wears a suit.

Is Blu slightly less formal than MDR on formal nights? My DH and I always nicely dress for dinner but are looking to lighten the luggage just a bit on an upcoming cruise - so can the tux be ditched if booked in Aqua?

A tux is not required. Was told that a jacket and tie would be supplied if you show up without one in Blu on formal nights.

A tux is not required. Was told that a jacket and tie would be supplied if you show up without one in Blu on formal nights.

Did you witness the aforesaid? We have cruised on three ten night cruises on the Equinox, in AQ; and, we never observed what you relate. As a matter of fact, all males which we observed were dressed either in a tux or suit with tie etc., on formal nights.

Did you witness the aforesaid? We have cruised on three ten night cruises on the Equinox, in AQ; and, we never observed what you relate. As a matter of fact, all males which we observed were dressed either in a tux or suit with tie etc., on formal nights.

We were talking to the Maitre D and discussing dress code, peoples manners , etc. He is the one that told us that they will do that if someone comes in not properly dressed, meaning that the dress code is strictly enforced in Blu. It is not a perk and I wouldn't go there depending on getting a tie and jacket, you may be turned away, but they try to accomodate as best as possible. Plus I am not suggesting to not pack one thinking that they will supply you with one. I am just answering that they are very serious and enforce the formal nights in Blu.

Thanks everyone, sounds like I can count on filet on night one, lobster for second formal night, & something myterious, (but hopefully yummy) on first formal) DH will be packing nice suit, so we're good to go.

We LOVED Blu but the lobster on the 2nd formal night was not one of their better meals....my DH, who is allergic to seafood ordered a chicken dish which was in a puff pastry or philo dough shell which was wonderful....as a matter of fact our waiter and assistant said it was their favorite Blu entree....don't remember the name but it was great....I will order it, if still availabe, on our next cruise and forgo the lobster....

We were talking to the Maitre D and discussing dress code, peoples manners , etc. He is the one that told us that they will do that if someone comes in not properly dressed, meaning that the dress code is strictly enforced in Blu. It is not a perk and I wouldn't go there depending on getting a tie and jacket, you may be turned away, but they try to accomodate as best as possible. Plus I am not suggesting to not pack one thinking that they will supply you with one. I am just answering that they are very serious and enforce the formal nights in Blu.

Wow - I'm surprised that the dress code on formal nights is that strictly enforced ... what about just a nice jacket, dress shirt and pants but NO tie? Is the dress code that strictly enforced in the MDR? And what about the rest of the cruise - can you show up in a polo shirt and jeans in Blu?

Not to start anything but Celebrity has conflicting comments on their web site as to whether Blu is smart casual or formal on formal nights. On my cruises it was definitely smart casual but lately they have been supplying jackets for men not wearing them. It could also depend on which ship you are on.

Wow - I'm surprised that the dress code on formal nights is that strictly enforced ... what about just a nice jacket, dress shirt and pants but NO tie? Is the dress code that strictly enforced in the MDR? And what about the rest of the cruise - can you show up in a polo shirt and jeans in Blu?

A tie is required on formal nights otherwise they wouldn't supply one if you weren't wearing it. I guess you could push it but why worry about what is and what isn't. Not worth getting upset over. They don't weight much or take up a lot of space.

I think they don't want the atmosphere to be like a fast food restuarant. No shorts, Tees with writing, logos, cut offs, tank tops and etc. I don't remember seeing anyone wearing jeans. I would also guess that the majority of the passengers in Blu aren't jean type people. I don't wear jeans any more, but I do wear Carhartts or Dickies when working around the house. I guess if the jeans were bought from Tractor Supply you would be ok. :rolleyes:

For breakfast many wore shorts and etc. It was more casual or relaxed and no different than any other dining area.

We are not a fan of Blu's food. But it certainly is not any where near as good as Murano and in my opinion, Tuscan Grill. So I still suggest that passengers try the other specialty restaurants no matter where they usually dine. We usually go to Tuscan Grill twice per cruise.

On a January Solstice cruise, I observed the maitre d' giving jackets and ties to men who went to Blu on formal nights without the appropriate attire. So the formal night dress code was definitely enforced on that cruise.

It is interesting to note that our personal experiences with the dress code in Blu have been on three ten night cruises on the Equinox; and, I wonder if the demographics on these longer, more expensive cruises might be an indication of the attitude of the passengers vis-a-vis the dress code. In short, although we did not spend a plethora of our time observing the dress of others, at dinner, our casual observations indicated everyone complying with the aforesaid dress codes, both on the formal and informal nights.

I too have noticed a difference in the dress of passengers based on the cruise. I have done two back to back cruises where one leg is tied to a longer TA cruise. On both occasions, we noticed that the dress of passengers on the longer TA portion were more formal. It appeared to us that more people dressed in full formal attire on those longer cruises. We also noticed that the average age appeared to be older on the TA's. So that could account for more dressy attire. Just our observation.

I hope that the dress code in Blu will be enforced on our cruise. I have not dined in Blu before, but I would expect a smaller, more intimate restaurant that I have paid more money to dine in would have a strict dress code. We will be on a 15 night cruise, so it may be more formal since the cruise is longer. We are looking forward to Blu very much, but will still dine once or maybe twice in a specialty restaurant....or maybe not :) I would like to try Tuscan Grille.

Formal night means that. think of your daughter's prom. would her date show up in jeans and no tie. Even the kids dress up now, things are changing again, and dressing is becoming more and more stylish. Just check out how many more women wear dresses than 15 years ago.

Jeans don't belong in a nice restaurant like Blu. Wear them to Taco Bell or Mcdonald's I suppose. who wears jeans anymore anyway???? Maybe to hike in or go horseback riding.

Archived