Questions about HAL's air program

jebhoward3

We are considering a transatlantic cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam next April from Ft. Lauderdale to Venice. For those who have booked with HAL's air:

Are flights booked using a code that is eligible for frequent flyer miles (Star Alliance)?

Have you ever been able to use your frequent flyer miles to upgrade to Business/1st from HAL's air?

How much extra does HAL charge to book you in business class?

We will want to fly from/back to our small home town airport in Grand Junction, CO. HAL's regular air would be from Denver. For people who have requested this change in flights, How much extra where you charged? Did you feel it was a reasonable amount?

We realize that we might have to request changes to the scheduled flights if insufficient time between flights, or request flying a day early. As 3* I understand we can do this once without charge.

Anyone who has flown back to US from Venice with HAL's air, what were the airlines that you flew?

Thanks in advance for all the helpful information.

The last time we took a HAL European cruise and used therir air, it was out of JFK. It was a Brittish Airways plane, but it was a HAL charter and ALL of the passengers were on the cruise. We did not inquire about business or first class, but the plane was not full so just about everyone had an empty seat next to them. It was 5-6 years ago and things might be different now, but some pax were flown by HAL into JFK on "regular" fights for this HAL chartered flight and some like us were passengers who chose NYC as their gateway, so we originated there. I'd ask HAL if you are going to be merged into a charter out of an east coast city, such as NYC. We were not able to accrue any "miles" or other perks on star alliance airlines on this charter flight, but if you are connecting to it on a "regular" fight, you may on that portion. I think your have some very good and important questions that should be best be answered by HAL, I 'd ask them as thier policies change probably as frequently as we change underwear, so someone who answers your questions who might have used HAL air even last week, might not be the policy in place when you travel.

We are considering a transatlantic cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam next April from Ft. Lauderdale to Venice. For those who have booked with HAL's air:

Are flights booked using a code that is eligible for frequent flyer miles (Star Alliance)? Not always. they book with whomever they can get the best rate for the seats.

Have you ever been able to use your frequent flyer miles to upgrade to Business/1st from HAL's air? Not usually, but there have been some loosening of these policies.

How much extra does HAL charge to book you in business class? All depends on where and when you are flying. From what I understand, cheap business class won't be on the big legacy carriers, it will be on smaller carriers.

We will want to fly from/back to our small home town airport in Grand Junction, CO. HAL's regular air would be from Denver. For people who have requested this change in flights, How much extra where you charged? Did you feel it was a reasonable amount? Don't know.

We realize that we might have to request changes to the scheduled flights if insufficient time between flights, or request flying a day early. As 3* I understand we can do this once without charge. I believe that is true.

Anyone who has flown back to US from Venice with HAL's air, what were the airlines that you flew? Can't help you there.

Thanks in advance for all the helpful information.

Just remember, cruise line air fares are at the cruise lines convinence. Yes, sometimes it works out great. Sometimes not so great. You have more control if you book your own.

We have never used HAL air internationally. But did once domestically, and it was not the best routing for us. If I were you and wanted to use Star Alliance airlines and business class, I would book direct with the airline you like even if you have to stay in Venice an extra day.

Just last week, I received my requested flights to Auckland and return from Vancouver using HAL's air deviation plan. The flights were exactly the ones I had requested and the fare quoted was considerably less than what I would have had to pay had I booked the flights on my own. I am very pleased. The only downside was it took 3 months for my travel agent to hear from HAL after the flight requested had been submitted.

I think frequent flier miles can accrue using HAL air. It did several years ago using Delta flights to Rome.

I think HAL air is almost always cheaper on open-jaw flights. Also, with HAL air you almost never get direct flights but always at least one connecting flight, sometimes more. It might be worth paying deviation fees to get the flights you want and to ensure the seats you want. I haven't tried to use frequent flyer miles with HAL air but do know you can accrue your miles to your ff accounts. Keep in mind that if you use HAL air and there is a glitch somewhere during your air travel to and from your cruise, the HAL air-sea program will assist you with getting things sorted out

I was only able to get answers to part of my questions from the phone call with HAL.

The person I spoke with said that you can can earn frequent flyer miles and to ask for a diviation so that we are on Star Alliance flights. They usually let you know your flight schedule within a few day after you book, but as the cruise is not until April 2012 she said it might be awhile before the schedule is known.

The price for HAL's air seems very reasonable to me $1057 Denver to Ft. Lauderdale, then Venice back to Denver. They did not know the price for upgrading to Business class yet, but guessed at $2500 - $6000 pp, so I'm hoping after I have flight info I can contact Star Alliance and see if I can upgrade with miles.

Archived