8/28 Bermuda/hurricane!!

cruisin cubbie

We are scheduled to sail to Bermuda on 8/28. Irene seems to be hustling up the east coast and gaining strength. I do hope that lives and property will be spared in light of the power of this storm.

Has anyone had experience with sailing in a huricaine? Will our departure be delayed? I spoke to CC today and because it is still days away, there hasn't been any official rulings on the situation.

We are joining friends from North Carolina and they are in a quandry because the storm is projected to hit them on Saturday, the day they were going to fly up to NJ. And Sunday @ 2pm is the projected hit to NJ and the NY area.

I would love to hear from those that have been faced with weather challenges and how you fared with them?

Your friends from NC need to fly up ahead of the storm - either Thursday or Friday. They should call their airline and see what they can recommend - many airlines are dropping their change fees in light of the weather situation. They should call tomorrow morning because others are already starting to change their travel plans to accomodate the impending hurricane.

Depending on what happens your departure could be delayed or the ship may take a different course to sail around the hurricane which may necessitate changes in itinerary. Be sure to call the cruiseline the day of departure should there be any question in your mind as to if the ship could depart. The ship could be late getting into port and you may board later than you normally could board or even the next day. Your ship's captain is not going to put a multi-million dollar cruise ship at risk - he's going to do his best to get around this situation. Yes it is possible that you will not see Bermuda or your itinerary may change to the Bahamas or you may just do ALL sea days. Whatever happens, make the best of it. Afterall, being on a ship is wonderful! I would advise bringing sea sickness medicine - because the storm is going to make the ocean rougher than normal.

Hi, I sailed in 2004 during that hurricane season. I got lucky and

my cruise was in between storms. That was the year of Frances

and Charley....among others.

The cruise will go on but if the itinerary needs to be changed that

is what will happen. If it is not safe for the ship to sail to Bermuda

they will change course.

I would agree with Suite and if you and your friends need to get up

to New Jersey early, then that would probably be best.

They will not cancel the cruise unless it is absolutely dire.

I am also on this cruise and the real issue is the storm is projected to be in the NYC area on Sunday. So the Summit is scheduled to arrive at 7:00 am. Then depart at 5:00 pm for Bermuda which is where it is coming back from. If the predictions are true could the ship delay arrival by a day and come in to NY on Monday and leave Monday? Anyone have this expereince before?

Steve

Also to the OP: driving from NC and getting refund for tickets when airlines give option (as they will if airport they fly into is affected) is possibility .. we drive to NJ from NC all the time.

Celebrity "should" be announcing this today I would think.

I wouldn't count on a late departure, the chances are they will want to get out to sea and around the storm. The last I saw the storm was projected to be in the DC area around 2:00P.M. on Sunday. A lot can happen between now and then but it looks like the chances of going to Bermuda will be excellent since you have three days to get there and the storm will be long gone by then.

I absolutely agree with the others about getting to NJ ASAP.

If necessary, the Summit could remain at dock or at least in NY Harbor until the storm passes, effectively leaving on Monday, and you would not lose any time in Bermuda. It only takes one day / two nights for the trip - they take two days / three nights on the outbound trip only due to the lack of dock space in Bermuda and port fees.

If you were on the Veendam that would not be true as they spend four days in Bermuda.

At this point I agree with the Summit delaying arrival back till Monday and going out again on Monday. I don't see them coming into Bayonne on Saturday with the storm approaching since I think it would be a nightmare for the passengers currently onboard. It would make my cruise a 6 day one but I assume would get an onboard credit for the missed day. Would that be one seventh of the price I paid?

Steve

Yes, I have sailed in a hurricane. The ship went to one scheduled port and had a different itineray from then on. No one on the ship cared as we had a blast not knowing where we would be every morning. We called it a mystery cruises.

Unless safety or some other legal reason (Terminal closed) it is unlikely the ship will delay the return/departure to Monday.

This would be a nightmare as to what to do with passeengers booked to fly out Sunday? Monday airlines would be sold out and you could see delays of several days to find a seat. Also you have the problem of arriving passengers expecting to board on Sunday, where do you put them until Monday? Now you have a 6-night cruise instead of 7-nights many passenger will want a refund.

Besides passengers you have to reschedule if possible customs, food delivery, longshore men, etc. etc. Assuming you can rescedule as some may have commitmnet on weekdays.

Safety is number one, uno, 1, so they will do what they have to do to keep very one safe

THIS IS THE LATEST FROM RCCL

August 24, 2011 - 10:00 a.m. E.S.T

Given Hurricane Irene's current location and projected path, Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Club Cruises have not altered the itineraries of any ship that departs this Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday. We will continue to closely monitor weather conditions and will update this information again tomorrow, August 25 at 10:00 a.m. E.S.T

Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Club Cruises are closely monitoring the path and progress of Hurricane Irene to ensure guests enjoy safe and comfortable cruises, and to make certain our ships steer clear of the storm. The safety of our guests and crew is always our foremost concern.

Given Hurricane Irene's current location and projected path, Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Club Cruises have not altered the itineraries of any ship that departs this Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday. We will continue to closely monitor weather conditions and will update this information again tomorrow, August 25 at 10:00 a.m. E.S.T

Is it dangerous for the ship to be docked in Bayonne during Hurricane force winds and rain?

If the track holds, the weatherpeople said we should start feeling the effects of Irene Saturday night and then it should really get bad starting around 5:00 AM on Sunday. So I'm wondering if it's even safe for the ship to be in NJ at all?

Anne Maria

Is it dangerous for the ship to be docked in Bayonne during Hurricane force winds and rain?

If the track holds, the weatherpeople said we should start feeling the effects of Irene Saturday night and then it should really get bad starting around 5:00 AM on Sunday. So I'm wondering if it's even safe for the ship to be in NJ at all?Anne Maria

I am not a expert but I am sure that the cruise line will not take any chances, nor will the port authorities.

The best answer at this time is to stay tuned as more info comes out

This has been a problem for Florida-based ships before during hurricanes. I remember reports of ships that did indeed delay their arrival back into port until the storm passed. Of course, it is a logistical nightmare for all involved, but it has been done. I believe it is MORE dangerous for a ship to be docked during a hurricane,it can really be knocked around and against the pier. Sometimes naval ships are sent out to sea in advance of a hurricane, where they can navigate around it. Anyway, we should know more in a day or so. We're not too happy at the moment here on Cape Cod, some reports have the storm heading right for us!!

It would make more sense to get "in and out" on Saturday... that port area is pretty "open" ... if they are expecting a big surge (watching Weather channel now) I am not sure they'd want to be at anchor.. we have left/returned early from Florida to avoid the worst of storms but not from Mid-Atlantic.

Everything depends on when it hits and the damage. We sailed out of Ft Lauderdale and flew in the day before. Wilma hit that night. Really tore the place up and destroyed the port. No ships were getting in. We spent the next night in the same motel with no electricity or running water. The next day the owner of the motel told us that the ship was going to come into Miami and he had arranged for a bus that would take everyone for $15 each. We got to the port of Miami and it was shut down. The owner made a few calls and found a hotel that had room, plus electricity and running water. The catch was you had to pay in cash. We took the room, spent the night and thankfully the port opened the next day and we started our cruise. It was a 8 day cruise cut short to 6. The cruise line refunded 25% of our cruise fare and gave $100 shipboard credit per cabin.

After that we always made sure to carry plenty of cash in various denominations. We were fortunate at the time to have more cash as we normally depend on Travel Checks and credit cards.

Most gas stations were shut down because of no electricity. Those that had generators had very long lines and ran out of gas fast. Cabs were hard to impossible to get because they were running out of gas. Peoples cell phones were going dead because they were all trying to get thru to the cruise lines and were put on hold forever because of all the calls. When you did get thru they couldn't give any info as they didn't know anything. The best way was to call someone out of the area and have them go on the internet or do the calling to save your battery. The owner of the motel set up some charcoal grills and grilled some hot dogs and burgers, had to pay with cash. We were using the waste basket to get water from the pool to flush the toilet. We were lucky that the owner was able to help everyone get to Miami. If you are driving be sure to have a full tank of gas before you go into the area and fill up before you park so you will have enough gas to get out of the area when you get back. Have some bottled water and non perishable emergency food In the vehicle.

Hi All,

My NC freinds have decided to stay put and wait to see what will happen. He is fire chief of his town and it just so happens that the asst. fire chief is on vacation and probably will not be able to fly back in time. He really feels obligated to stay to make sure that all is well before leaving. He's a fine man.

We are hoping that The Summit will sail on Monday. My freind has talked to the airlines and at this point there are seats still available for Monday. Of course, our civilized plans of having a quiet dinner and a few laughs on Saturday night are out the window, but if the sailing was delayed all would end well. We are optimistic that we will be together for this cruise, perhaps a little Polyianna, but that's our story and we're sticking to it.

It's just so hard to plan when there isn't a plan!!

Hi All,

My NC freinds have decided to stay put and wait to see what will happen. He is fire chief of his town and it just so happens that the asst. fire chief is on vacation and probably will not be able to fly back in time. He really feels obligated to stay to make sure that all is well before leaving. He's a fine man.

We are hoping that The Summit will sail on Monday. My freind has talked to the airlines and at this point there are seats still available for Monday. Of course, our civilized plans of having a quiet dinner and a few laughs on Saturday night are out the window, but if the sailing was delayed all would end well. We are optimistic that we will be together for this cruise, perhaps a little Polyianna, but that's our story and we're sticking to it.

It's just so hard to plan when there isn't a plan!!

Hi:)....oh wow...he is the Fire Chief? How big a town is it? I know

there is an old saying "Nobody is indispensible" (people go on vacations

all the time and companies continue to work) but when it comes to

Hurricane Season? Depending on where they live...especially if it

is on the coast? He might not be able to go anywhere:eek: Fire and

Emergency Techs are usually first responders.......I wish all of you

the best and especially those in Irene's path. We got very lucky

this time....she was aiming for Florida but the turn is coming.

Oh, I am sailing the next cruise (after yours)...hope you have a

safe cruise.:)

Summit will leave Bermuda today at 6 pm. All passengers are being told to be back to the ship by 5 pm. She is leaving 22.5 hours early. I think the Captain is trying to get back to NY Harbor to disembark his passengers before it is closed due to the storm.

I am not a ships Captain but my Mom was (OK a very small ship). She always said the best place for a ship to ride out a storm is at sea. You head the ship into the wind and ride it out. Along side the dock the Captain must contend with the wind hitting the ship side on. Once a cruise ship got caught out alongside dock in Hamilton Harbour during a hurricane. It very quickly pulled the Bollards right out of the dock and was adrift in the small harbour. Fortunately the Captain was on top of the problem and he rode out the rest of the storm afloat in the harbour.

My advice to passengers is to get to NJ as quickly as possible as you may embark early rather than late.

NCL Gem is also leaving at 6 pm and HAL Veendam is leaving at 5 pm.

Okay but what about the people that are suppose to board on Sunday, 8/28. I assume they will be delayed until Monday, 8/29 and Summit will be out to sea on Sunday???

I hope those that have flights in and out of the area on Sunday are able to change their plans. They keep saying the worst of it will be 5 AM - 5 PM on Sunday.

Okay but what about the people that are suppose to board on Sunday, 8/28. I assume they will be delayed until Monday, 8/29 and Summit will be out to sea on Sunday???

I hope those that have flights in and out of the area on Sunday are able to change their plans. They keep saying the worst of it will be 5 AM - 5 PM on Sunday.

Just got off the phone with my TA who spoke to Celebrity

The ship is leaving Bermuda today at 6:pm, a day early

As of now they are not reporting if the ship will arrive in Bayonne a day early (Saturday) which is likely, or stay at sea.

The second item, there has not been any word if the ship will be departing Bayonne a day early, Saturday instead of Sunday

Stay tuned

from the X website:

Given the current location and projected path of Hurricane Irene, Celebrity Summit will depart Kings Wharf, Bermuda, today at 6:00 pm, a day earlier than originally scheduled. Celebrity Summit will now arrive in Cape Liberty, Bayonne, New Jersey, on Saturday, August 27 at 6:00 p.m.

We encourage guests on the Sunday, August 27, sailing of Celebrity Summit monitor these updates for any possible modifications to the itinerary.

At this time, Celebrity Cruises has not altered the itineraries of any ship that departs this Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Celebrity Cruises will continue to closely monitor weather conditions and will update this information again today, August 25 at 6:00 p.m. E.S.T.

Archived