missing 2 ports of call

digitaldad

recently we cruised on we Oceania marina and due to weather we missed 2 ports. Should we expect some type of compesation?

Sorry no..weather is not something Oceania compensates for..where did you go instead?

Jancruz1

welcome to the board in any case. When you're new, it can be daunting to work through what the norms might be for differing cruise lines, etc. There is a spirited discussion of this topic under the "Oceania, You're Fired" thread right now, with lots of opinions and observations.

From my experience, and having missed ports, had ports changed, and all the related issues, certain things are in common:

The cruise line in general does not refund for ports missed due to weather, and the determination of when the weather negates passenger or ship safety is solely in the hands of the captain. It would be exceptionally rare for the line to conclude the captain erred and provide a "refund"

Since payment is for cruise passage, it might be difficult to assess how much a refund would be in any case...

If you booked a ship's tour for that port, your charges would be refunded (although one should never assume, and check with destination services while onboard to ensure the credit is given). If they weren't, contact the Line and they should accommodate you for this request.

If you booked a private tour, e-mail the provider as soon as practical (using that expensive Internet time onboard) to advise them. They probably already know, but contacting them is the right thing to do. Re private tours, most do not require advance payment; if you do an advance, ensure this factor is accounted for in your tour contract; e.g., refund if the port is closed or unavailable to the ship.

Most folks may be mildly irritated, but with Oceania and its port-intensive itineraries, we have always looked at them as bonus sea days...Unless it is one of your first one or two ports, you may actually find the unexpected rest day useful.

This board is a significant resource for almost any question, so don't be shy, and use it for planning your next cruise, contacting people for private excursions, checking re ports and things to do, etc.

Regards, Bob H

welcome to the board in any case. When you're new, it can be daunting to work through what the norms might be for differing cruise lines, etc. There is a spirited discussion of this topic under the "Oceania, You're Fired" thread right now, with lots of opinions and observations.

From my experience, and having missed ports, had ports changed, and all the related issues, certain things are in common:

The cruise line in general does not refund for ports missed due to weather, and the determination of when the weather negates passenger or ship safety is solely in the hands of the captain. It would be exceptionally rare for the line to conclude the captain erred and provide a "refund"

Since payment is for cruise passage, it might be difficult to assess how much a refund would be in any case...

If you booked a ship's tour for that port, your charges would be refunded (although one should never assume, and check with destination services while onboard to ensure the credit is given). If they weren't, contact the Line and they should accommodate you for this request.

Most folks may be mildly irritated, but with Oceania and its port-intensive itineraries, we have always looked at them as bonus sea days...Unless it is one of your first one or two ports, you may actually find the unexpected rest day useful.

his board is a significant resource for almost any question, so don't be shy, and use it for planning your next cruise, contacting people for private excursions, checking re ports and things to do, etc.

Regards, Bob H

Well said and probably enough said since there is a way too long thread on this topic that's been running for two weeks!!!!

Should the port charges for those missed ports be refunded (or given as OBC)?

In a perfect World, they probably should be, Paul.

However in most cases another port is substituted, which would mean that they would be refunding us the one and then charging us for the other.

Then, there will be occasions where the new port charges higher fees than the cancelled port.

It probably isn't worth the administrative headache, overall ;)

In a perfect World, they probably should be, Paul.

However in most cases another port is substituted, which would mean that they would be refunding us the one and then charging us for the other.

Then, there will be occasions where the new port charges higher fees than the cancelled port.

It probably isn't worth the administrative headache, overall ;)

I agree if other ports were substituted. I don't know what was the case here.

The cruise contract rules. O and other lines all have clauses that say things about being able to change itineraries or even ports of embarkation or debarkation without penalty. On occassion the cruise line will offer some compensation, but they don't have to. Weather, civil unrest, port strikes are all things that are dealt with and require the cruise line to do nothing. Generally good will by the cruise line will enter the picture. Be happy when this happens, even if it is just two hours of free drinks in all the bars on board. One line did this as compensation but it sure didn't help the non-drinkers (what, non-drinkers on a cruise?! :eek:).

Should the port charges for those missed ports be refunded (or given as OBC)?

Hi Paul, My opinion and Oceania's are completely different..I think some kind of OBC should be given they dont..lots of new things and price raises coming..air deviation is now $125..do I agree with this fee no.....

Jancruz1

The cruise contract rules. O and other lines all have clauses that say things about being able to change itineraries or even ports of embarkation or debarkation without penalty. On occassion the cruise line will offer some compensation, but they don't have to. Weather, civil unrest, port strikes are all things that are dealt with and require the cruise line to do nothing. Generally good will by the cruise line will enter the picture. Be happy when this happens, even if it is just two hours of free drinks in all the bars on board. One line did this as compensation but it sure didn't help the non-drinkers (what, non-drinkers on a cruise?! :eek:).

While you are somewhat correct, in regards compensation/refunds for missed ports where the cruiseline has collected port charges and not had to pay them to a port due to missing the port, this is a whole different subject.

There was an agreement signed a couple of years ago between the State of Florida and cruise lines headquartered in Florida including PCH that money collected to be paid to a governnment entitiy must be provided to that government entity. In the case of port charges, that is paid to a government entity so if the port is missed and the port charges not paid, they cannot, by the signed agreement, be kept by the cruise line and therefore refunded to the customer and OBC's does not represent refunded unless the credits can be redeement for cash.

The cruise line clearly knows what portion of the cruise fare is collected for port charges and it is a simple refund that should and in some cases must be refunded.

And this refund is not all that difficult to provide in our world of computers. It should already be programmed one time into the PCH computer system and simply require a notation of the ship, cruise and port and then voila, the refund is processed at little expense.

Hi Paul, My opinion and Oceania's are completely different..I think some kind of OBC should be given they dont..lots of new things and price raises coming..air deviation is now $125..do I agree with this fee no.....

Jancruz1

$125? It wasn't that long ago that it was $50 ... I guess they are discouraging deviations. At least by ME. Because it's not worth it to me to pay that much.

Does Oceania have to pay port charges for those ports where they tender and not dock? We missed St Jean de Luz on the Marina this June and use the day as a sea day. No other port was substituted and there was no refund or OBC.

I believe the ships still pay a fee they are still using dock space for the tenders

It may not be as much as if they docked there

Just think of all the tender ports that would lose money otherwise

I believe the ships still pay a fee they are still using dock space for the tenders

It may not be as much as if they docked there

Just think of all the tender ports that would lose money otherwise

I believe that the rules for port charges are very similar to those for a hotel.

If you have reserved space and cancel it at the last minute, which is when weather based decisions MUST be made, then you don't get a refund.

I believe that the rules for port charges are very similar to those for a hotel.

:eek:

If you have reserved space and cancel it at the last minute, which is when weather based decisions MUST be made, then you don't get a refund.

I guess it all depends on the hotel

some you can cancel until 6pm on the day of arrival with a full refund :cool:

Archived