My Experience in CL with Kids

klove613

Have seen a number of comments about the Concierge not wanting to "interfere", so to speak, for fear of negative comments on the comment cards. How about all the negative comments they'll get on those cards when they DON'T address the bad behaviors? They've certainly been placed between a rock and a hard place.

Have seen a number of comments about the Concierge not wanting to "interfere", so to speak, for fear of negative comments on the comment cards. How about all the negative comments they'll get on those cards when they DON'T address the bad behaviors? They've certainly been placed between a rock and a hard place.

Typical for RCI.

Corporate makes boneheaded decisions and then throws the crew under the bus and make them deal with an angry public.:mad:

Years ago on FOS, our then 17 yr old daughter was enjoying some chocolate covered strawberries and cheese in the Concierge Lounge. She was asked how old she was, and was told politely, that she could finish her food, but was not allowed back in during cocktail hours. This was our first time in the lounge and we had not read the rules correctly. We were all slightly embarassed and although there was only three other people there...we abided by the rules. As a D+ member, I have seen MANY an adult misbehave and should have been asked to leave. Last year on Navigator, the concierge allowed MANY people to pour their drinks into paper cups and leave the lounge with them. One group was drinking beverages in a hurricane type glass (they were also wearing the crew like name tags) and they left the lounge for dinner and one of them came back ordered six drinks and was helped to bring them back to the dining room.

We are sailing on Oasis again in a few weeks and will be curious to see how this new rule effects our sailing. Last year on Allure we found the CL lounge to be quite stuffy and only went there during breakfast and lunch. We spent every evening in the Diamond "Lounge" which was the disco and many D+ and above members were there instead of upstairs in the CL (which has SUCH a great view, day or night!)

Not a good compromise for those with early dinner seating:mad:

I don't think you have to much to worry about as you cruise when school is in so not many children on a ship at that time of year:D

If you are early sitting you must be used of children as that is the time when they are in the dinning room too:cool:

Years ago on FOS, our then 17 yr old daughter was enjoying some chocolate covered strawberries and cheese in the Concierge Lounge. She was asked how old she was, and was told politely, that she could finish her food, but was not allowed back in during cocktail hours. This was our first time in the lounge and we had not read the rules correctly. We were all slightly embarassed and although there was only three other people there...we abided by the rules. As a D+ member, I have seen MANY an adult misbehave and should have been asked to leave. Last year on Navigator, the concierge allowed MANY people to pour their drinks into paper cups and leave the lounge with them. One group was drinking beverages in a hurricane type glass (they were also wearing the crew like name tags) and they left the lounge for dinner and one of them came back ordered six drinks and was helped to bring them back to the dining room.

We are sailing on Oasis again in a few weeks and will be curious to see how this new rule effects our sailing. Last year on Allure we found the CL lounge to be quite stuffy and only went there during breakfast and lunch. We spent every evening in the Diamond "Lounge" which was the disco and many D+ and above members were there instead of upstairs in the CL (which has SUCH a great view, day or night!)

Curious to know what the D lounge is like on the Oasis and Allure. Is it just wine and champagne or is it a full bar like the Liberty.

The crew name tags are no longer around. Wonder how many goody two shoes will still wear them. I guess those people really tip the concierge well for him to allow drinks to go to the dr. during dinner. I really don't see a problem with taking a drink out of the lounge when you leave for dinner, even though it's in a paper cup

Curious to know what the D lounge is like on the Oasis and Allure. Is it just wine and champagne or is it a full bar like the Liberty.

The crew name tags are no longer around. Wonder how many goody two shoes will still wear them. I guess those people really tip the concierge well for him to allow drinks to go to the dr. during dinner. I really don't see a problem with taking a drink out of the lounge when you leave for dinner, even though it's in a paper cup

Oasis and Allure as well as all the Freedom Class (and now the Radiance of the Seas) have a fairly full bar of limited liquor brands, mixes and beers in addition to Champagne and wine in the DL. So yes it will be similar to the Liberty of the Seas.

Oasis and Allure as well as all the Freedom Class (and now the Radiance of the Seas) have a fairly full bar of limited liquor brands, mixes and beers in addition to Champagne and wine in the DL. So yes it will be similar to the Liberty of the Seas.

Thank you. I can deal with that. If children start to act up in the concierge, can easily go to the D lounge.

It's a full bar like on Liberty but unlike Freedom class the real nice lounge is the CL.....just think about how much difference there is between the DL and CL on Liberty and easily double that...however it's not in favor of the DL like on Freedom Class.

I just saw the closed thread about kids being allowed in the Concierge Lounge during cocktail hour now. I was actually in the Concierge Lounge on the Explorer sailing referenced and brought my 11 year old in with me. Not to make light of this as I saw people getting upset in the other thread, just wanted to give some factual info as someone on the scene.

We are not D or D+, but booked a suite for the first time and understood from reading the threads here that children were not allowed in the CL during the cocktail hours of 5-8:30 pm. There was a letter in the stateroom that mentioned that children under 20 (I think) were not allowed in the CL without an adult present. I thought it odd there was no mention of them not being allowed in at all during cocktail hour.

The first night, I went in during cocktail hour to get ice show tickets from Francis (who is a doll, by the way) and my daughter and husband stayed outside as there was clearly a sign on the door that said children were not allowed during the hours of 5-8:30 pm. I mentioned to him that they were outside and Francis was like, "bring them in." We didn't stay long, just got the tickets and left.

The next night, I headed down by myself to get a drink before dinner and there were 2 families with young children in the lounge. I quickly called my husband and daughter and told them to come down because I figured what the heck. It wasn't crowded at all and we only had about 15 minutes before dinner. They didn't make it though.

The third night, I noticed that the sign banning children was actually taped over, so I figured there was some kind of policy change. From that point on, I brought my daughter in with me for about 15-20 minutes before or after dinner. She had a soft drink while my husband and I had cocktails. She was very quiet and well behaved, however there were some young children there that were climbing on the couches and not behaved at all. It didn't bother me, but I could see that it was bothering some and even heard one lady say it was "kiddie hour."

I also observed 1 adult going bare-foot and 1 adult in a bathing suit with cover-ups during cocktail hour which I was somewhat surprised about. No children doing that.

There was only one night that there was an issue getting seats and that was the last night. There was only one family with kids in the CL that night, so I don't think the kids caused the over-crowding.

Mostly people kept to themselves and mingled with their own groups, but I did see some people who seemed to be meeting and chatting for the first time. There was no off-color humor going on, but maybe the kids put a damper on that????

Please no flames, just wanted to give a factual account.

Sounds like you have a lovely family. Francis is really nice. Glad your cruise went well and everyone was well behaved...er except for the pool people...:eek::)

I have always found a welcome letter indicating the request to not wear shorts in either the evening Diamond event or the evening CL. Apparently some people do not bother to read the information provided in their cabin.

We have also always had a message from the Concierge on the cabin's voicemail that reminded people about the CL rules and regs. I just wish they would ban shorts on the ships after 6pm and be done with it. Nothing like being in formal wear and going to the show and sitting next to a guy in a tank top and shorts. Hairy armpits kinda ruin the atmosphere.

I see something wrong with bringing drinks out in a paper cup, then pouring them into the wine glasses in the MDR (and I've seen plenty of that). RCI doesn't make money selling a non-suite cabin - that just pays for some fuel. They need passengers to spend money onboard in order to turn a profit, and many of the long-time cruisers simply don't do that. It's no wonder that corporate has so little use for us.

And plenty of people will continue to wear their crew badges, I'm guessing without any consequences.

Carol, thanks for posting your experience on Allure. I was afraid that it would be along those lines. I'm just hoping that it doesn't prove to be a common occurrence.

Most of the time the CL is to crowded as it is. So now we will have everyones children in the lounge taking up even more space. What next, JS and D+ and suite friends coming in as well???

Can you think of a bettr way to thin out some of the Diamond +'s in the CL, slick thinking RCL:confused:

what's next? ways to thin the lounges:

Originally Posted by bajathree viewpost.gif

I am starting to think that this may be just the beginning of a much bigger loyalty change not far down the pike. The timing of this new policy is kind of interesting.......just leading up to the Diamonds in December event. Many are speculating that allowing children into an already overcrowded CL set's things up for D+ to be kicked out of the CL like they did with D members during the last big loyalty change. Well let's think about it....loyalty #'s are still going to grow in leaps and bounds...even with the new changes that took place to the point system to try to slow things down. Royal again is throwing the Diamonds in December Celebration...again giving double and triple points to entice C&A members to sail and use this event for C&A guests to grow themselves to the next C&A loyalty tiers....so they themselves are pushing people into higher tiers. Both DL's and CL's are already overcrowded at present and often need the use of overflow lounges. Let's face facts....the C&A program has got to be growing faster than those that are reaching high levels and then for whatever reason not sailing. Young children are D and D+ members well before they can even legally sail on their

own.....when they turn 21 and sailing for the very first time on their own they will already be coming in as D and D+ members. It is inevitable that changes will again have to be made....the question is just when. They are adding DL's to older ships as they go into dry-dock....but these aren't big lounges and aren't going to be able to handle the #'s....heck the DL on Oasis/Allure can't handle the volume...and they are the largest ships in the world and were just designed and built and the C&A loyalty #'s have already exceeded the size of their DL's.

While many are fearful of D+ getting kicked out of the CL, reality would

probably be a much bigger change....something that may be closer to Pinnacle and suite guests only allowed entry into the CL.....the DL becoming the D+L...and D having either some event of their own or probably closer to just adding some additional perks to the C&A Diamond book like free drink coupons. I know that no one wants to hear any of this but change is here and if it's here to stay like AG has stated in his blog than I think it's just the beginning of a much bigger plan that may be inevitable.

Problem solved.... Let those of us who pay for suites take our drinks back to our suites. Last time I checked the CL requests that drinks be consumed in the lounge. I do not want to drink around a room full of children, well behaved or not. This should be an adult venue only.

Archived