Muster drill

auntdot

We are Diamond members but haven't sailed with RCCL for a few years and would like to know what the latest procedure for the muster drill is. Do we have to go outside with lifejackets on? Do we gather at the muster station and only bring the lifejackets? or????

Thanks!

Auntdot

We are Diamond members but haven't sailed with RCCL for a few years and would like to know what the latest procedure for the muster drill is. Do we have to go outside with lifejackets on? Do we gather at the muster station and only bring the lifejackets? or????

Thanks!

Auntdot

Also, good idea to get to your muster station before the drill begins. No elevators, so you will have to do the steps with a couple of thousand people.

Some muster stations are inside, like the MDR.

Thanks for your quick replies! We have some mobility issues so we're glad to know we can go to the station early and probably not have to stand for 20-30 minutes!!!

Happy sailing, everyone!

auntdot

If you get there early chances are you will be standing longer.

Thanks for your quick replies! We have some mobility issues so we're glad to know we can go to the station early and probably not have to stand for 20-30 minutes!!!

Happy sailing, everyone!

auntdot

Maybe you will be in the MDR or the theatre or a lounge.

But, whatever, get to your deck so you will not have to do the stairs.

Happy sailing, everyone!

auntdot

I always remind folks that the muster drill purpose is to rehearse what you would need to do in an emergency; so it's really important to arrange assistance for any folks who have mobility issues because "in the event of an actual emergency" ;) you would want those accomodations in place. Its not enough to use the elevators earlier, because in an emergency you will not have advance warning. Im not sure who to make those arrangements through, but I'd recommend starting with your cabin steward or possibly calling the Special Needs Department before cruising.

Have a great cruise!

I always remind folks that the muster drill purpose is to rehearse what you would need to do in an emergency; so it's really important to arrange assistance for any folks who have mobility issues because "in the event of an actual emergency" ;) you would want those accomodations in place. Its not enough to use the elevators earlier, because in an emergency you will not have advance warning. Im not sure who to make those arrangements through, but I'd recommend starting with your cabin steward or possibly calling the Special Needs Department before cruising.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks for your great advice. We are not in wheelchairs or anything, but my husband does use a cane and I have arthritis. We are frequent cruisers so have a good idea of emergency procedures; each ship is slightly different and we want to be sure we know how our ship handles emergencies. We always request a wheelchair for embarkation/ debarkation because of the long distances and standing involved and inform the cruiseline of our issues. Let's hope there will be no need to use the information we get at the muster drill! but thanks to you and everyone else for your words of wisdom.

Dot

What ship are you going on? If it's Oasis Class, the muster stations are all inside or out in the Aqua Theater, not at the lifeboats like other ships. You will be able to sit through it.

I always remind folks that the muster drill purpose is to rehearse what you would need to do in an emergency; so it's really important to arrange assistance for any folks who have mobility issues because "in the event of an actual emergency" ;) you would want those accommodations in place. Its not enough to use the elevators earlier, because in an emergency you will not have advance warning. I'm not sure who to make those arrangements through, but I'd recommend starting with your cabin steward or possibly calling the Special Needs Department before cruising.

Have a great cruise!

When you board go to the Guest Services/Front Desk and ask them to put whoever needs help on their list. In the event of an emergency they will be met by staff and taken to their lifeboasts. Remind them to mention if they have meds as they may need them. I do this all the time as I use a scooter and would require help on staircases (which will be the only means in a real emergency).

I always used to be a "be there early" person. I'm now a "go when the alarm sounds" person. When I get there now (by no means late, but later), the station is typically already mostly full and if it is an inside stations, there are no seats available. Just an FYI for planning.

Thanks for your great advice. We are not in wheelchairs or anything, but my husband does use a cane and I have arthritis. We are frequent cruisers so have a good idea of emergency procedures; each ship is slightly different and we want to be sure we know how our ship handles emergencies. We always request a wheelchair for embarkation/ debarkation because of the long distances and standing involved and inform the cruiseline of our issues. Let's hope there will be no need to use the information we get at the muster drill! but thanks to you and everyone else for your words of wisdom.

Dot

It sounds like you are in a similar situation to me. I use a cane or rollator onboard but not a wheelchair.

I always register beforehand with special services and again with front office when we board so that they know I could not use the stairs in case of an emergency.

When we have the drill, I make sure I am on the deck of my station before they switch off the elevators but I do not go to the muster station too early. I wait until the emergency signal. I take my rollator with me which has a seat so that I do not have to stand for too long.

Last week, on the Mariner, some people were so late coming to the muster station it was the longest muster drill I have experienced for a very long time. I was very grateful to be able to sit.

If you do not have a rollator with a seat then speak to a member of staff to make sure you can sit down if necessary.

Our first cruise with RCCL is coming up in December. How do I find out which deck my muster station is?

Thanks!

When you get your SeaPass, your Muster Station code will be on it. You can locate that muster station on a chart on the inside of your cabin door.

I am like the OP - I have sailed with RCCL but not since '06 and you still needed your life jackets back then. I am sailing in 2 weeks and, I know it's silly, but I am happy that I don't need to wear them this time.

Do they allow you to bring your purse now or is that still a no-no?

Have a great cruise!

Best advice on the thread for two reasons: (1) They will probably make special arrangements for you during the drill to make it easier, and (2) in the event of an actual emergency the arrangements will be in place. On a cruise a couple of years ago DW had a broken foot and they more or less gave us and some other folks with mobility issues a special station -- and we were dismissed early. I highly recommend anyone with mobility issues to contact the special needs folks or anyone else involved in the drill well before the drill.

On our Majesty cruise the chart was located next to the door on the closet. Just something to be aware of.

if you study that map closely, you may find that in an actual emergency, the route to the station may be through crew-only areas, which you do not use during the drill.

Archived