Price drop with a sold out cruise? Any chance?

homeinboca

It seems all of the balcony categories on my upcoming cruise are on waitlist. What is the chance of a price drop between now and sailing? Slim to none, or has anyone experienced a price drop in this situation?

Zero :D

It seems all of the balcony categories on my upcoming cruise are on waitlist. What is the chance of a price drop between now and sailing? Slim to none, or has anyone experienced a price drop in this situation?

Wouldn't make any sense to drop prices...........

As said, none. They will raise the price, not lower it. That's often the case. Supply and demand.

Princess lowers the price when they are not selling that cruise well, or there are certain categories with lots of availability. There is absolutely no reason for them to drop the price of a sold out cruise. ;) I hope you booked your cruise at a price you were willing to pay, as you can never count on a price drop. Enjoy!

My next cruise is mostly sold out, too - and it is still 8 months away! No balcony cabins or above have been available for the last 4 months or so. I stopped checking for price drops for our mini-suite a long time ago. (sigh......) Maybe other cruise lines will take a hint and add more of these Pacific Coastal cruises to their itineraries. There is obviously a demand.

There was a price drop a couple of weeks ago on the inside and outside cabins, but of course nothing in a higher category was affected - except for a price increase for the wait list!

Likely if all the following happen soon: Asteroids hits the earth, a super volcano erupts, a 9.5 earthquake occurs in the area where the ship is headed, economic collapse world wide, a major terrorist attack, a category 5 hurricane hits the cruise port, a solar flare hits the earth, the poles shifts, a magnetic storm wipes out all computer memories, floods devastate one of the ports of call, fires obscure the skies around the world, a strike occurs at embarkation site, and the ship is overrun with rats carrying a deadly disease, otherwise a price drop is extremely unlikely.

Likely if all the following happen soon: Asteroids hits the earth, a super volcano erupts, a 9.5 earthquake occurs in the area where the ship is headed, economic collapse world wide, a major terrorist attack, a category 5 hurricane hits the cruise port, a solar flare hits the earth, the poles shifts, a magnetic storm wipes out all computer memories, floods devastate one of the ports of call, fires obscure the skies around the world, a strike occurs at embarkation site, and the ship is overrun with rats carrying a deadly disease, otherwise a price drop is extremely unlikely.

i give you a 10 for effort and think you have too much time on your hands! ;)

Our cruise is the opposite--all the inside, obstructed view, and ocean view cabins are waitlisted, as well as the lowest four categories of balcony cabins. The prices of the other balcony cabins just keeps going up. We're three weeks away from the final payment date, and I don't think we'll see a price drop. I'm glad I booked us when it was $250 cheaper per person.

We're sailing Dec. 17 on the Crown. The Grand Princess does a similar itinerary the same week and has tons of cabins available. I wouldn't be surprised to see price drops on that cruise.

Our cruise is the opposite--all the inside, obstructed view, and ocean view cabins are waitlisted, as well as the lowest four categories of balcony cabins. The prices of the other balcony cabins just keeps going up. We're three weeks away from the final payment date, and I don't think we'll see a price drop. I'm glad I booked us when it was $250 cheaper per person.

We're sailing Dec. 17 on the Crown. The Grand Princess does a similar itinerary the same week and has tons of cabins available. I wouldn't be surprised to see price drops on that cruise.

Actually my TA just told me that price drops can happen once final payments are due and they get cancellations. She claims once the big final payment is due, a good number actually don't go through with their plans. We'll watch for this over the next 30 days. My final payment is due Oct 15.

Our crusie was pretty booked until final payment 2 weeks ago and now the price went down for $220! Yahoo! So always watch after final payment.

Can I please ask? We are in the UK and I was pretty certain that the price we book at is the price we pay. Am I correct in thinking these possible price reductions (for whatever reason) are only available to those of you in the US??

Our crusie was pretty booked until final payment 2 weeks ago and now the price went down for $220! Yahoo! So always watch after final payment.
Your final payment for January was two weeks ago? That's weird. Or, are you referring to your upcoming cruise on Carnival? That has nothing to do with Princess and getting a refund or OBC after final payment. Different cruiselines, different systems.

Actually my TA just told me that price drops can happen once final payments are due and they get cancellations. She claims once the big final payment is due, a good number actually don't go through with their plans. We'll watch for this over the next 30 days. My final payment is due Oct 15.
That's true. I read once that on average, cabin turnover is 8x before sailing. Amazing number. People's lives and plans change, particularly if you've booked a year or two in advance.

homeinboca-

I see your upcoming cruise is on the Emerald. Pricing on the Emerald 10 night cruises this year has been very unusual, very different compared to past years. We have not seen the large, pre-final payment price drops that we saw last year, and, in fact, as others have mentioned, the New Years cruise price just keeps climbing and climbing and most categories are waitlisted. Why the difference? I think it relates to Princess doing away with true 14 night itineraries on the Grand. All the demand for Caribbean cruises longer than 7 nights on Princess has now been funneled onto the Emerald, the prices are reflecting that. We check pricing too, every day, but seeing the number of waitlisted categories grow, I'm really not counting on anymore price drops.

Archived