If HAL again offers Portland, Maine in their Itinerary......

sail7seas

HAL........ please offer that seven day Boston to Boston cruise again. We loved it and would do it again and again.

CC'ers, if you ever see that itinerary offered, give it serious thought as it is fabulous. I don't know why HAL doesn't do it a few times each summer.

Portland, A Very Hospitable City .......

We have had port calls at Portland two or three times when Maasdam did a seven day Boston to Boston itinerary which they don't even offer every year.

We always enjoyed our visits there and kept saying we need to come here to stay for a few days.

Last Weekend, we did that and had a wonderful time.

Portland has about the friendliest, most helpful people we've encountered in all our travel and even gave us picture perfect weather for the weekend.

We were celebrating a significant event in our lives and we went with our best friends to a terrific B&B, had great lobster at the port and an amazing dinner at what I would call a very, very fine restaurant.

Everyone was so nice and accomodating. Shopping was fun. Perfect!

Next day we had a delicious breakfast before heading to Freeport to shop. Again, friendly, nice people, tons of shops, gorgeous day.

It was 9-11 and they had a silent parade of firefighters, fire trucks, police officers, EMT's, ambulances......all the first responders and it was very moving. A respectful, well done tribute.

Thank you, Maine.

We had a great time and certainly plan to return.

Sail I agree, We did the 7 day Boston R/T on the Maasdam in 2005 and would love to see them bring that back.

I think they feel they can make more money on the North and South Bound Canada / New England....yet I am not sure why :confused:

Lisa,

You (and most everyone here :D) know we do the b-to-b roundtrip Boston to Montreal to Boston every year and adore it. The years they added the seven day Boston to Boston cruise, we ALSO booked that cruise those summers. People loved that cruise and it sells out quickly. People spend just as much.... a seven day Canada/New England cruise is going to draw a similar 'demographic', wouldn't it?

All I can say is that it was two magnificent days we were there and a ship was in (maybe RCI) and they love cruisers there. Every where we went they asked if we were on the ship. ($$$$) Shops, restaurants, ice cream shops..... all busy.

Great suggestion!

We've been to Portland 2 or 3 times many years ago (QE2, not HAL), and loved the city. Having been to both Bar Harbor and Portland as cruise stops several times, I think I'd choose Portland over Bar Harbor. Both are nice, but IMO there's more to see just walking around in Portland.

I absolutely loved the Boston to Boston itinerary that included both Portland and Bar Harbor. We had a great time in Portland and also found some wonderful lobster for lunch that day.

I wouldn't want to give up Bar Harbor though. We had a great day on our own hiking Acadia National Park.

Debbie

Great suggestion, Sail. I'd go for a RT Boston sailing (actually, I'm considering the Carnival RT Boston cruise in June 2012). The Boston-Montreal itinerary is so port-intensive unless you do a back to back sailing, which isn't realistic for many folks.

And I definitely agree with Kathy's preference of Portland over Bar Harbor. Nothing wrong with Bar Harbor, but I prefer actual cities over small towns when I'm on vacation.

No need to choose Bar Harbor or Portland. The last time we did Boston to Boston seven day cruise, the itinerary was:

Boston

Portland, Maine

Saint John, New Brunswick

Halifax

Sydney

At sea

Bar Harbor

Boston

About 4 or 5 years ago, we did a seven day Boston to Boston that included Newport and that was wonderful also. The only downside was we were at Newport on Sunday morning and left by about 1:30 or so. We wanted more time there as we really enjoyed it there. :)

No need to choose Bar Harbor or Portland. The last time we did Boston to Boston seven day cruise, the itinerary was:

Boston

Portland, Maine

Saint John, New Brunswick

Halifax

Sydney

At sea

Bar Harbor

Boston

That sounds like a wonderful cruise! Do they just don't offer it anymore or is it still offered occasionally?

This is the very reason that we decided to go with RCI this fall - we wanted to sail out of Boston and also go to Portland.

ITINERARY:

Boston

Portland

BarHarbor

St John, NB

cruising

Halifax

cruising

Boston

Take some extra days in Boston, and you have a nice vacation! The Maasdam sounded nice, but not any new ports for me. There is a foodie tour in Portland that sounds right up my alley!!

They only offered it once or twice a season in the past and there are many years they don't offer it at all...... sadly. I'm sure it was not offered last year or this and I have not seen it for 2012. :(

Well, it's certainly something I'll keep an eye out for! I spent a lot of time in New England as a child (Dad was from MA) and I've always wanted to do an extended trip to visit with family. Adding a cruise to that visit would be perfect! I doubt it would be hard to get several of them to join us on the cruise!

Thanks for the information.

Sail, when we did the 7 day itinerary in July 2005 we also went to Newport. I believe that was our very first port stop.

I really did enjoy that cruise and would do it again in a heart beat. Since they basically have not offered it is the main reason I have not been up that way for a cruise in a long time. :o

We'd love to have you all back here for a visit. Boston is a terrific tourist city. Lots of history, sight seeing, art, sports, colleges, shopping, food.......... oh such good food. :)

Lisa...... Newport is south of Boston and would have been your first port. You board on Saturday, sail to Newport for Sunday and then north to Maine and Canada before back to Boston. That is why they only stay half day in Newport as they need the sea time to get to Canada.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the very reason that we decided to go with RCI this fall - we wanted to sail out of Boston and also go to Portland.

ITINERARY:

Boston

Portland

BarHarbor

St John, NB

cruising

Halifax

cruising

Boston

Take some extra days in Boston, and you have a nice vacation! The Maasdam sounded nice, but not any new ports for me. There is a foodie tour in Portland that sounds right up my alley!!

Hope you have a great time. That's a wonderful intinerary.

Well, it's certainly something I'll keep an eye out for! I spent a lot of time in New England as a child (Dad was from MA) and I've always wanted to do an extended trip to visit with family. Adding a cruise to that visit would be perfect! I doubt it would be hard to get several of them to join us on the cruise!

Thanks for the information.

We would love a 7 day round trip Boston cruise! We could spend "before" and "after" time in Boston too! :)

Sail, when we did the 7 day itinerary in July 2005 we also went to Newport. I believe that was our very first port stop.

I really did enjoy that cruise and would do it again in a heart beat. Since they basically have not offered it is the main reason I have not been up that way for a cruise in a long time. :o

We'd be happy for all of you to visit. We have a lobster lunch waiting for you...... :)

Archived