Why are all the contests on Facebook?

m steve

We refuse to use that or the other networking sites so why should we be penalized? We are stockholders and 3 star Mariners.

pe·nal·ize

to subject to a penalty, as a person.

to declare (an action, deed, etc.) punishable by law or rule.

to put under a disadvantage or handicap.

You're not being penalized you're opting out, which means you are putting yourself at a disadvantage by choice, not through any action by Hal.

Agreed. I am also avoiding facebook. I am a teacher, and I don't want students to constant contact me to be 'friends.' #1) That is not allowed per my school district's policies, and #2) That's just creepy.

My name is also unique, which is why I never post it even here on CC.

Just sign me... trvlcrzy

Why not post the contests on their OWN site (http://www.hollandamerica.com)?

We refuse to use that or the other networking sites so why should we be penalized? We are stockholders and 3 star Mariners.

I'm not sure what the heck your status has to do with the question... but where do you think the contests should be?

Poor HAL as usual finds itself in a no win situation; if it doesn't move with the times it gets tagged with the old & stodgy label and when it moves with the times it gets flack from those who dislike FB.

MHO is you can't kvetch if you choose not to be on FB.

I am a Facebook member (my younger family members more or less pushed me onto it), but do not access it very frequently. I don't know why HAL can't use BOTH methods for their contests - their own Web Page and Facebook. According to all that I read in business publications, the best way to attract the younger population is to use social networking media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.). Those of us who have sailed with HAL, tend to visit their web site periodically to dream about the next cruise. If HAL used both, they would keep all members of their potential market happy.

It isn't just HAL who has offers specific to Facebook. I agree with the other comments about "why not FB and the HAL website". A friend recently "liked" some commercial FB page (L'Oreal???? perhaps) and that page wanted access to all her friends so her friends could be spammed. Ugh.

It's a rapidly growing trend that almost all companies are making themselves known on facebook. It's cheap and wide exposure to a new and rapidly growing audience that they would not reach otherwise.

You may be aware that HAL has also created it's own roll call page on facebook for every HAL cruise independent of any roll calls that are formed on CC. I don't know how this will work out for HAL. It's bound to create confusion with cruisers. I'm coordinating a CC roll call for a NZ cruise in Dec. The facebook HAL roll call page only has 7 registered. Few cruisers are responding there. I've left instructions for them to come over and join us at our CC roll call. So far two have. CC forums have much more to offer cruisers than FB.

The thing I don't like about facebook and HAL's roll call page there is that you have no anonymity. Your whole name is broadcast worldwide, whereas on CC you use a screen name and protect your identity. I think HAL's facebook association is a bad one.

If you refuse to use FB, how do you know there are contests there?:confused:

I got an email about it.

It seems likely that HAL is using FB to market to a younger demographic. They're not so much giving away a cruise as trying to get new customers.

It seems likely that HAL is using FB to market to a younger demographic.

A weekend conference I attended had a keynote speaker on the whole social networking trend and while he said while the majority of FB users are under 44, the fastest growing segment is females over 50 having doubled in the last year. It's easy to dismiss it as a young persons toy but that's not the reality.

I got an email about it.

It seems likely that HAL is using FB to market to a younger demographic. They're not so much giving away a cruise as trying to get new customers.

Any company is trying to get new customers all the time.

My best friend's 90 year old grandmother is on facebook. Lots of people my parents age (in their 60s) are on facebook. Most companies have facebook pages.

For those of you who wish to remain anonymous while on facebook..You can be on facebook and disallow people to search for you. There are a lot of privacy settings you can use to hide while being on facebook. I don't think it is a big deal. You have every right to limit the amount of info you share. Don't accept friend requests from people you don't actually know. Use common sense about what information you post.

And lastly you can enter to win a cruise directly on Hal's webpage. Here is the link https://www.hollandamerica.com/allcruisecontest/AllCruise.action?adCampaign=halochpmed

Laura

Archived