Hotel in Paris

Jancruz

We stayed at the Sofitel Paris Le Faubourg, 5 star Hotel, 15 rue Boissy d'Anglais, 75008

Booked thru the Splendia site. Try to get a special incl. breakfast, well worth it. Walking distance to most sites, metro, Hop on buses and on the same street as the AmericanEmbassy so very safe & quiet.

Jan-

People are raving about the Cristal Champs Elysees

http://www.hotel-le-cristal.com/uk/index.php

We're loyal to the Lancaster, so we haven't stayed at the CCE personally, but the price is unbelievable for the location, and TripAdvisor give it a very nice review. 98.1% customer satisfaction.

Enjoy Paree! :D

If you are looking for a small hotel (not one of the 5 star international hotels) then I'd recommend: Hotel Cadet, rue Cadet (I've stayed there 3 times: 2002, 2005 and 2009)

Close to metro stop Cadet on line 7 (line 7 goes to Opera, Louvre, Pont Neuf - we found that pretty much anywhere we wanted to go, we only ever had to make 1 change)

Hotel is a small hotel - and rooms are typical European size rooms - not large, like the big chains.

Hotel often offers good discounts for booking in advance.

Breakfast is typical for France - continental only - but a very good spread - the variety of fresh fruit is fantastic.

The street has a wonderful feel to it - you forget you're a tourist. You feel like you live in Paris.

Rue Cadet is a charming "shopping street" - both sides of narrow street have fantastic shops. We spent New Year's Eve there one year and bought a platter of tiny mixed sandwiches, walnut bread to die for, cheeses, freshly made cheese twists that melted in your mouth & homemeade potato crisps, heavenly miniature desserts, fresh chocolates and champagne - all from the one street, to have in our room. Fridge in room - plenty of room to store food. (Unfortunately could only window shop in the butcher's and seafood shop) Also small grocer across the road where you can get a range of cheaper priced wine.

Good range of restaurants within easy walking distance (from the Brasseries to gourmet).

Very close to Rue Montmatre & Rue la Fayette (close to famous department store, Galleries Lafayette).

PS: Yes, it does have an elevator

Jan,

We're going to be staying at the Hotel du Champs de Mars. I read about it in an National Geographic article on "cheap" Paris hotels more than 10 years ago and the article found it a great buy. Coincidentally, a friend of mine who used to go to Paris often also liked to stay there when traveling with another friend and not her husband. Back then the hotel was a two star, now it is a three star.

We're paying €115 a night after the Viking riverboat cruise.

The hotel is at the foot of the Eiffel Tower and in a great area for tourists. I don't know about an elevator but they do have two ground floor apartments. Whether they are available is another question. But in order to reserve you need to email them, so you can ask about your problem if you want to try this place.

It's our first time but we see it is highly recommended.

Another hotel that we discovered by accident a number of years ago is a three star walking distance from the Musee d'Orsay (Hotel Bac St-Germain) but it's rates are up to around €180 a night and we felt that was just too high. (When we stumbled upon it in 1998 it was about $125/night ... big difference!)

Mura

We will stay again post-cruise at the Hotel Relais Bosquet, a very charming hotel in the same neighborhood as the Hotel du Champs de Mars. It's rated #33 on TripAdvisor for Paris. Rooms are comfortable and quiet and the staff are both gracious and helpful. Website shows rooms for 3 nights or more at E135.

Thank you all so much.. I have lots to research.. its going to be interesting being in Paris after so many years..see you soon Mura!!

Jancruz1

Jan, we have enjoyed the hotel Du Louvre several times for it's location ,rooms and service. Yes you pay for all of that but it's worth it. Enjoy Paris!:)

I've stayed at the Hilton Eiffeltower and enjoyed it very much..

Now some advice where NOT to stay: Do not choose a IBIS - did it twice and both times the police was in house because of thefts... Bad service.

Enjoy the city! last time I wanted to take the Metro from the Hilton but decided to walk- and walked and walked ... Started at 7:30 am when the city is still asleep- it was a wonderful experience!!

A bit off-topic but: Has anyone gone to the Moulin Rouge or the Lido de PAris? Do you recommend one over the other or neither? I have been to Paris a few times but never gone to either. I am going with my 3 sisters next July to celebrate a significant birthday and thinking maybe we would enjoy that. Fun? Too touristy? Anybody?

----------------------

Helen

A bit off-topic but: Has anyone gone to the Moulin Rouge or the Lido de PAris? Do you recommend one over the other or neither? I have been to Paris a few times but never gone to either. I am going with my 3 sisters next July to celebrate a significant birthday and thinking maybe we would enjoy that. Fun? Too touristy? Anybody?

----------------------

Helen

Paris has several fabulous nightclubs which still put on the lavish shows that younger people will surely think only existed in the movies.

The Moulin Rouge and the Lido De Paree have the advantages that are associated with having very famous names, but Le Crazy Horse and the Follies Bergeres are also amazing.

If you are into Salsa at all, Le Paradis Latin and Lew Brasil Tropical are also phenomenal.

Frankly, I could easily spend a week in Paris, simply attending these eye filling shows, one after the other.

The problem is that I'd have to win the lottery first. :eek:

Although you can try to economize by attending a morning or luncheon show, it is just about impossible to get out of any of these clubs for less than 100 Euros a head, even without dinner.

If you want a decent table with a group of 4 or more, you'll need to commit to dinner, AND get there early and be prepared to tip. NEVER go with a group larger than 8.

Expect mediocre service, but the food in these places is really not bad, considering the volume that they do.

The waiters know that they will never see 90% of their clients again, and so, as far as they are concerned, cash is king. They come and go in a flash so you cannot be shy about ordering what you want, or they will be on to the next person. You must speak up and be firm from the get-go.

All this being said, I must emphasize that I am not trying to discourage you from going. The shows really are THAT AMAZING, and economics being what they are, these are the last stand of the BIG glamorous nightclub show.

Just be aware that it will not be an elegant evening, unless you are tipping fifties in which case they will treat you like Warren Buffets' only living heir.

----------------------

Helen

Touristy, yes (only tourists go) but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. It really depends if you like that sort of thing or not. If you are looking to see French dancers, then no - most of dancers are from the UK, Australia etc.

Check out their websites to see scenes etc from their current shows.

Have a look for a night tour that combines Moulin Rouge/Lido and the night lights of Paris or a dinner cruise on the Seine - may be better value and also make a great night out.

----------------------

Helen

I went to the Moulin Rouge with DH about 6 yrs ago and very much enjoyed the show. Did not have the Dinner there, was forewarned by friends that food was just ok. We got lucky with good seats and thought the show was very entertaining! Would go back again. Have not been to the Lido so cannot comment. Moulin Rouge was one of the highlights of our 1st visit to Paris. :)

Hi Jan -

I haven't stayed at the Hotel du Champ de Mars, but it certainly has a great location and a good price for Paris. We did rent an apartment a few blocks from here the last time we were in Paris. Close to the tourist sites, Metro stops, but also a neighborhood feel. There is a restaurant in this area we ate at that was highly recommended by the apartment owners - incredible. If I can find the name, I'll e-mail it to you.

I might also recomment the Hotel Langlois. This is where we had planned to stay had we not rented the apartment. Rooms as I understand it are huge by Paris standards and individually decorated with Antiques, prices overall reasonable too.

Enjoy Paris!!

Joe

Here is the name of the restaurant I mentioned in my previous post.

Le Florimond

19, Avenue de la Motte-Picquet

75007 Paris

www.leflorimond.com

Currently #22 on Trip Advisor out of 6400 Paris restaurants. Reservations definitely necessary.

Joe

And that is one of the places we ate during our week in Paris at Hotel Muguet in 2007, probably located three minutes from our hotel.

I agree; very good food. (And so Parisian: one lady had her small dog sitting quietly beside her in a fashionable bag during her entire meal with her friend.)

Hi Jan -

I haven't stayed at theC, but it certainly has a great location and a good price for Paris. We did rent an apartment a few blocks from here the last time we were in Paris. Close to the tourist sites, Metro stops, but also a neighborhood feel. There is a restaurant in this area we ate at that was highly recommended by the apartment owners - incredible. If I can find the name, I'll e-mail it to you.

I might also recomment the Hotel Langlois. This is where we had planned to stay had we not rented the apartment. Rooms as I understand it are huge by Paris standards and individually decorated with Antiques, prices overall reasonable too.

Enjoy Paris!!

Joe

I am contacting Hotel du Champ de Mars directly hoping they have space!

Jancruz1

Archived