Recent cruisers, please report on MDR lunch situation

Dena

Dena,

I know you're worried about how food allergies will be handled now that the MDR will not be open for lunch on port days, so I thought you might be interested in hearing what our experience was on our Celebrity cruise this summer.

We booked a cruise for ourselves, DD, DSIL, DGS and DD's in-laws last winter, and in March learned that DGS, who was 14 months old when we we sailed, was allergic to fish, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts, and all dairy - milk, eggs, cheese, butter. We checked with Celebrity, and they told us they would have no problem accommodating his allergies. DD typed up a card describing his allergies and printed several copies, which she gave to the maitre d' for the chef and also the assistant maitre d' for our section.

We only ate dinner in the MDR since we didn't think it was fair to DGS or the other passengers to expect a toddler to behave properly for three leisurely meals a day. Each evening the maitre d' would bring DD the next day's menu and she would choose DGS's meals. Wherever we ate the next day, we found the maitre d' for that dining room, told him where we were sitting, and they brought DGS's meal in a very short while. His reactions to any allergens are violent and immediate, so I can attest that they were extremely careful about cross-contamination.

I know that our experience was not on Princess, but if Celebrity is able to be so attentive one extremely small passenger's dietary requirements, I'd be surprised if Princess is not also able to.

I've learned how difficult it is to deal with food allergies, and I hope your dining experience on your up-coming cruise goes well.

Dena,

I know you're worried about how food allergies will be handled now that the MDR will not be open for lunch on port days, so I thought you might be interested in hearing what our experience was on our Celebrity cruise

I know that our experience was not on Princess, but if Celebrity is able to be so attentive one extremely small passenger's dietary requirements, I'd be surprised if Princess is not also able to.

I've learned how difficult it is to deal with food allergies, and I hope your dining experience on your up-coming cruise goes well.

Thanks, New Salt!

I know I am "late to the party" in commenting on this issue, which I first became aware of yesterday when reading the boards. I did send an email to customer relations expressing our displeasure at the news and indicating that this decision will cause us to investigate other cruise lines. We have sailed six straight years on Princess and our dining room lunch each day is one of the activities we look forward to the most. We both work in high pressure jobs and the ability to enjoy a glass of wine and a liesurely lunch, versus scouting around the pool area and buffet looking for a table to eat hot dogs and pizza at, is top on our priority list. It is a very sad trend, to be certain, and one that we hope is reversed.

Told me that passengers state it is not a concern that the MDR remains closed on port days.Meaning I am in the minority so majority wins.

Did mention Room Service International and Horizon Courts.

No reference to special dietary requirements that some passengers require.

Told me that passengers state it is not a concern that the MDR remains closed on port days.Meaning I am in the minority so majority wins.

Did you specifically ask about special dietary requirements. If so, and Princess declined to respond, this could be a bad sign. I will keep my fingers crossed for good reports on ship from travelers with dietary needs. As some have mentioned written policy and implementation often vary.

Did you specifically ask about special dietary requirements. If so, and Princess declined to respond, this could be a bad sign. I will keep my fingers crossed for good reports on ship from travelers with dietary needs. As some have mentioned written policy and implementation often vary.

They told me to ask in the Horizon Court and would be told the contents of the food.I have replied and said I would check with the Catering Manager of Horizon Court and believe me I will.I stated this would be on behalf of all passengers requiring special meals on the buffet . Not being able to partake a tasty dish on the buffet was the pits due to a content one cannot have.

The MDR employees are wonderful regarding special diets.....Lets hope other areas will be just as helpful.:)

They told me to ask in the Horizon Court and would be told the contents of the food.I have replied and said I would check with the Catering Manager of Horizon Court and believe me I will.I stated this would be on behalf of all passengers requiring special meals on the buffet . Not being able to partake a tasty dish on the buffet was the pits due to a content one cannot have.

The MDR employees are wonderful regarding special diets.....Lets hope other areas will be just as helpful.:)

This won't solve the cross contamination problem.

I wonder what passengers they spoke to. Unless you are on cruise critic ther is no way to know the change.

I just returned from dinner with friends who have a booking and they had no idea about the changes. But then again, they don't go on here.

I wonder what passengers they spoke to. Unless you are on cruise critic ther is no way to know the change.

I just returned from dinner with friends who have a booking and they had no idea about the changes. But then again, they don't go on here.

I apologize to Princess if I am not correct. This could be due to the economy at the moment.Cost cutting maybe employees, and having to resort to summer sales to fill some of the ships....Something has to give.....Nuff said

They told me to ask in the Horizon Court and would be told the contents of the food.I have replied and said I would check with the Catering Manager of Horizon Court and believe me I will.

This will not be as good an option as it was for the dining room.

With the dining room open, the day before the headwaiter can show you the lunch menu and you can select items that can be prepared to meet your dietary needs. These items will then be prepared just for you.

With the buffet, you will be told what the ingredients are, but there will not be any item prepared specially for you to meet your needs.

Maybe passengers on special diets who will be staying on board or will be back on board at lunch time during port days will have to let Horizon Court know the day before if they wont a hot luncheon.I am certain Princess will accommodate them....:)

I am disappointed in the no lunch in the MDR on port days. Our last three cruises were with Celebrity and they had discontinued the lunches on port days and I was looking forward to MDR lunches on Princess. I think this is a sign of the times and cruise lines having to cut corners to keep prices reasonable. I hope those with food allergies and other special needs are able to find a resolution to their problem.

Princess recently decided to close the MDR for lunch fleet wide. However, there is some confusion about whether it will still be open in some cases, for example, in ports where many people stay aboard like in Mexico or the Caribbean.

A recent cruiser just reported that MDR was open for lunch while in port at Newport.

Those with food allergies and mobility problems a especially interested in this feedback, please help if you can.

Just off the Island. The MDR was closed each port day but was open on sea days.

I just had an email from a friend aboard the Island P. respositioning cruise to FLL. She reports that Horizon Court closes at midnight and the dining room has not been open on port days.

Just off 16 days on the Coral.. MDR's were closed for lunch on port days. Asked Head Waiter friend and was told that over the past few years MDR dining at lunch has been steadily declining and it was not cost effective for them to be open..

Just off 16 days on the Coral.. MDR's were closed for lunch on port days. Asked Head Waiter friend and was told that over the past few years MDR dining at lunch has been steadily declining and it was not cost effective for them to be open..

I don't understand " cost effective" with Princess. In the Horizon Court a lot of PAX load their plates high with food they don't eat. Some will try food they just want to taste and this makes waste. More dishes are used and more food wasted. Princess still has to feed every one who eat onboard ship on a port day.

I think if Princess wants to stand out in a crowd of cruise lines they have to do it better than the rest.

I just had an email from a friend aboard the Island P. respositioning cruise to FLL. She reports that Horizon Court closes at midnight and the dining room has not been open on port days.

The Island Horizon Court closed at midnight while I was onboard last week.

I am on the Sapphire and we ate in the dining room when we boarded, but I had to insist because I was told that only Bon Voyage guests could eat unless there was room. Later, I saw people being turned away. The dining room is closed when in port. Lunch was delicious!

I am on the Sapphire and we ate in the dining room when we boarded, but I had to insist because I was told that only Bon Voyage guests could eat unless there was room. Later, I saw people being turned away.

Did they give you the new, compact folding map of the ship when you checked in?

If so, it says on it that you are invited to eat lunch in the dining room on embarkation day if there during the hours of operation.

Did they give you the new, compact folding map of the ship when you checked in?

If so, it says on it that you are invited to eat lunch in the dining room on embarkation day if there during the hours of operation.

It's also in the online FAQ & in the Cruise Answer Book. We had problems on the Sapphire in May but after questioning why we had to show the 'invitation' from Princess, the maitre d' said it was due to an uninformed new employee. I read posts from those after me who didn't have a problem but obviously it's a problem again.

Some things are vague & subject to interpretation but this is clear & no reason for it being so difficult to dine in the MDR at embarkation. :rolleyes:

It's also in the online FAQ & in the Cruise Answer Book. We had problems on the Sapphire in May but after questioning why we had to show the 'invitation' from Princess, the maitre d' said it was due to an uninformed new employee. I read posts from those after me who didn't have a problem but obviously it's a problem again.

Some things are vague & subject to interpretation but this is clear & no reason for it being so difficult to dine in the MDR at embarkation. :rolleyes:

:) We had the same problem on the Grand in August.

Had to really argue before we were allowed to eat in the MDR.

Not the best way to start a holiday.

Archived