Tipping in Australia????

Josume94

We will be traveling to Australia in about a month. Just talked to one of my coworkers, who used to live in Australia a couple of years ago. He is advising that we should not tip in Australia--he advised that the prices already reflect in one way or another us tipping. Can anyone confirm this?

Hi,

That is correct. No tipping in Oz. It is not part of our custom. We only ever tip when receiving great service at an expensive restaurant....and even then it is not much, and certainly not expected. We do however tip on cruises, re cabin steward, dining staff....but only because it is the custom of the cruise lines.

Enjoy your stay over here........and don't tip!!

Jen

Yes - as a general rule , we do not "tip" in this country . HOWEVER, that unfortunate North American habit has made some inroads into some areas of Australian culture and you will get some advice that we do indeed "tip" here.

I am 65 years of age - have lived in Australia all my life (except when I have travelled overseas) and I have never 'tipped" in my lifetime. It has only been since I started cruising a few years ago that I have been made aware of this foreign (to Australia ) practice (and suffered for my ignorance once when travelling in the US).

You "could" tip a waiter in a restaurant if you thought the service was exceptional -- but, if the waiter takes your order, remembers it, and brings your order to you - this is what would be expected of them and what they are paid for. I cannot really imagine what extra, exceptional service a restaurant waiter could give me - polish my shoes perhaps??

Barry

welcome Josume 94 thanks for coming to visit us..as others have said "gratutities are prepaid" in Australia. Our workers enjoy a much higher basic wage than in the US..we would like to keep it that way..we don't want them having to rely on tips to make a decent wage. Generally we would only tip for exceptional service above and beyond what would be expected...a smile and thanks will do nicely.

Please ask any questions you have about your stay here and we will try to help..no tip required.:)

welcome Josume 94 thanks for coming to visit us..as others have said "gratutities are prepaid" in Australia. Our workers enjoy a much higher basic wage than in the US..we would like to keep it that way..we don't want them having to rely on tips to make a decent wage. Generally we would only tip for exceptional service above and beyond what would be expected...a smile and thanks will do nicely.

Please ask any questions you have about your stay here and we will try to help..no tip required.:)

Hi Josume94

I seem to remember your username from a recent thread about NZ (forgive me if I'm wrong). So just in case your interested, the majority of New Zealanders share the same views as the Australians who have posted above. Please no tipping in NZ either. :)

We will be traveling to Australia in about a month. Just talked to one of my coworkers, who used to live in Australia a couple of years ago. He is advising that we should not tip in Australia--he advised that the prices already reflect in one way or another us tipping. Can anyone confirm this?

I see nothing wrong in giving your waitperson, a couple of dollars in change, I do. If you were happy with food/service. For example, your bill for dinner is $48, you give the wait person a $50 note and tell him/her to 'keep the change.' nothing wrong with that, but up to you. But I agree, none of this 20% business like in USA. Wait staff here are, well should be paid State Award wages of around $15 per hour. Not $8 per hour like USA. Gratuities here are not generally prepaid in your bill, and your server, in most cases is not looking for nor expecting a 'tip.'

However saying that, I have eaten at some 1st Class Restaurants in Australian cities and got the impression the waitperson wanted a tip. I remember being chased out of a sea food restaurant in Brighton Le Sands, Sydney by a waiter for whom I had left a couple of dollars, he yelled out 'I would rather not be insulted sir !' Suffice to say I took my $2 back. LOL.

ENJOY OZ !

Please dont worry about tipping when you get here, we dont do it and its not our culture to do so.

On our recent trips to USA and Canada we tipped as it was the done thing but boy im glad we dont do it here as it just became a pain.

When in Australia and New Zealand, price shown on an article of clothing for instance is the price paid - no extra taxes added when paying at the register. I have just returned from Hawaii and kept forgetting that the price shown on a dress, shoes, etc was not the final amount due. It is the law here that advertised price is inclusive of any taxes.

When in Australia and New Zealand, price shown on an article of clothing for instance is the price paid - no extra taxes added when paying at the register. I have just returned from Hawaii and kept forgetting that the price shown on a dress, shoes, etc was not the final amount due. It is the law here that advertised price is inclusive of any taxes.

I wish they would do it that way here. We were stationed in Germany for 4 years and their prices also include the tax. It took me a while when we returned to the States to get used to the price on the item not being the final price.

Groceries can be even more confusing and it depends on what state you're in. In Texas there's no sales tax on food in supermarkets - except the food that's "ready to eat" like the deli section. Non food items have sales tax.

I wish they would do it that way here. We were stationed in Germany for 4 years and their prices also include the tax. It took me a while when we returned to the States to get used to the price on the item not being the final price.

Groceries can be even more confusing and it depends on what state you're in. In Texas there's no sales tax on food in supermarkets - except the food that's "ready to eat" like the deli section. Non food items have sales tax.

I kept getting caught out this way in Canada and USA a couple of years ago. You've picked up an item, got all your unfamiliar notes and coins sorted out while queuing for the register to make sure you have exactly the right change (or at least enough to cover it), and then, bam, it costs more than that and you're madly scrabbling among funny money in a panic while impatient people start toe-tapping behind you! :eek: Ah, travel... ;)

Not sure where the other Aussie respondents live, but I'm in Sydney and here, tipping is common. However, you only tip to reward good service or an exceptional meal. If the food was average or the service shoddy, don't leave a tip.

10% is the maximum you should leave (unless something was really spectacular!). If you're at a cafe or restaurant where you have to go to the counter to pay, you'll see a "tip jar" on the counter - in that case, drop the tip in the jar instead of giving it to the waiter, and a few coins is adequate.

Not sure where the other Aussie respondents live, but I'm in Sydney and here, tipping is common. However, you only tip to reward good service or an exceptional meal. If the food was average or the service shoddy, don't leave a tip.

10% is the maximum you should leave (unless something was really spectacular!). If you're at a cafe or restaurant where you have to go to the counter to pay, you'll see a "tip jar" on the counter - in that case, drop the tip in the jar instead of giving it to the waiter, and a few coins is adequate.

My views and attitude exactly. Thank you.

It is known world wide that Australians( most) are not good tippers or they do not tip at all.

I am embarrassed at that statement. I am a tipper, not a big tipper but a tipper.

I even leave our Auto tips on whilst on the Princess ships, now that is a big admission from an Aussie !

However a trend has developed, especially in "tourist trap" areas, in both Australia and NZ , that whenever service staff hear an American accent, their eyes light up as they are expecting to be tipped.

This is because previous visitors from North America insist on tipping, even when they are advised not to tip.

I am embarrassed at that statement. I am a tipper, not a big tipper but a tipper.

I even leave our Auto tips on whilst on the Princess ships, now that is a big admission from an Aussie !

Les, I believe you have travelled a lot and also cruised a lot so you know how it is done in other parts of the world. :)

Me too Les...... BUT I don't tip in Australia except to round it up for a cabbie. O/S totally different.... when in Rome and all that!

Archived