A Few Thoughts- Noordam 9-5 to 9-15.

gabbyisadog

This is not meant to be a review just my observation, thoughts on this 10 day Med, cruise roundtrip Rome. Only one sea day.

I often read but seldon write on CC. We have taken 20+ cruises with 6 on HAL.

Booked SZ guarantee and got a very reasonable upsell to SA. This is 3rd cruise where this has happened.

Embarkcation was a breeze.

Cabin was ready and it was clean and everything worked properly. Stewards did a great job.

Neptune Lounge was fine as always. 3 events for suite passengers -1 lunch in Pinnacle and 2 cocktail parties.

Food was very good. Breakfast in Pinnacle or made to order eggs in Lido excellent. Mainly has lunch ashore. What we did have on ship was average quality. Dinner mainly in MDR Open seating. Had the same table for two each night. Always ready at 6:45. Open seating seemed to work fine as I never saw lines. A team of two waiters and 2 assistants managed a group of tables and did so with ease. They were a great team. Food arrived hot. Cooked medium rare as ordered for meat items. I ordered a different potato or vegetable than the one listed with the entree and the order was always correct.

We find the wine list medicore and over priced (except for the Pinnacle where the list is very good and over priced). We ordered from list in Pinnacle and on ocassion in MDR but mainly bought a few bottles ashore as we went on several wine tours.

We never smelled any smoke and rarely saw anyone smoking.

Dress- Most men had a coat and tie for the 3 formal nights. I saw only a few in Tux- may have been more later in evening. Men were allowed in MDR without a coat or tie. Women had on everthing from casual to gowns. Much grumbling about 3 formal nights given heat and all day in port. I think you will see less and less compliance with formal attire and HAL will look the other way until it becomes formal optional.

We took no HAL excursions. Did several private ones with people from the Roll Call and others on our own.

Entertainment was a mixed bag. Marty Brill was funny, the singer and the claranet player were excellent. The production numbers were weak. The dancers good but the singers seemed to screech rather than sing IMO

We spent so much time ashore that we did not use many ship services or participate in many activities.

Overall I would give the Noordam a A. We took the Veendam around S. America in 12/10 and it was a C- compared to this cruise

For the cocktail parties in the Neptune Lounge, was it suits for the men? Appreciate your post, we're booked for mid Jan in an SA (first time for that treat).

No. Just no shorts. One I think may have been on a formal night it was billed as a cocktail or after dinner drink with the captain.

Entertainment was a mixed bag. Marty Brill was funny,

Glad to see he's still sailing HAL. I've seen him on many cruises and not only is he always funny, but his show is new and fresh every time. I appreciate that he works to keep the material up to date.

Who was playing in the lounges? Especially the Piano Bar?

Glad to see he's still sailing HAL. I've seen him on many cruises and not only is he always funny, but his show is new and fresh every time. I appreciate that he works to keep the material up to date.

Who was playing in the lounges? Especially the Piano Bar?

In August, it was Roger Carr and he told us he'd be there until mid-October. Had never seen him before but he was pretty good and developed quite a following of regulars and newbies every night. He has many years of experience on Princess but decided to switch to HAL.

Men were allowed in MDR without a coat or tie. Women had on everthing from casual to gowns. Much grumbling about 3 formal nights given heat and all day in port. I think you will see less and less compliance with formal attire and HAL will look the other way until it becomes formal optional.

I think that *many*, most in fact, will be greatly relieved when 'formal' nights go the way of the dodo. Three formal nights on a 10 day cruise seems excessive, even for many who like to play 'dress up' occasionally.

For the few die-hards who are desperately clinging to the antiquated and anachronistic formal night tradition there is always Cunard.

In August, it was Roger Carr and he told us he'd be there until mid-October. Had never seen him before but he was pretty good and developed quite a following of regulars and newbies every night. He has many years of experience on Princess but decided to switch to HAL.

Thanks, taxmantoo. I never had the pleasure, and don't know anything about him. Every little piece of information helps.

I think that *many*, most in fact, will be greatly relieved when 'formal' nights go the way of the dodo. Three formal nights on a 10 day cruise seems excessive, even for many who like to play 'dress up' occasionally.

For the few die-hards who are desperately clinging to the antiquated and anachronistic formal night tradition there is always Cunard.

Well stated! :):):)

Archived